Post-Game Talk: Postgame and 3 Stars : 1/29/13 : DAL @ DET

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
Congrats on the GDT last night fellas. It was faaaaaantastic.

Internet ****ted at the start of the second, so I missed all the good stuff, but it seems like we are getting into a bit of a rhythm in different facets of the game. Long break, then hosting the Blues. Really looking forward to that one.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
I'm actually okay with Kronner taking those shots. At least trying to make it happen. I see us as a mediocre team, maybe .500 on the year. Playoffs are irrelevant because we won't go anywhere. I like Brunner and I'd play Eaves on the PP, get him in position to shoot that wrister of his. Not impressed with Mule so far.

Iowa Wingsfan

Jan 9, 2012
A couple quick thoughts...

I wholeheartedly agree with the praise for Emmerton. Never thought I would say this but right now Miller should sit before him. Well Cleary first but :deadhorse Not sure what is up with Miller, he has not done much yet.

KFQ is finally looking like an NHL dman. Maybe I can stop holding my breath when he is on the ice.

Datsyuk is back to normal. The lines in the top 6 make a lot more sense now then they did at the start of the season.

Watching other teams I found out that it is possible to have a PP, and be successful, without a net front presence. Shocking.

JBauerly97

Jan 8, 2013
Coldwater, MI
Does Babcock not necessarily like Tootoo fighting? Just read some comments from after last night's game and he said that "Jordin took it upon himself to have a couple of bouts and we don't mind that either, but we'd just assume he forecheck."

Does that mean he doesn't like the fighting or he'd just rather have Tootoo playing instead of sitting in the box and risking injury?

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
Random post-game thoughts:

- I like Bert with Dats and Flip... for now. He gives that line a little sandpaper to go along with the skill.

- Cleary should probably call it a career after this season, but it's likely he won't; he'll try to hold on for three or four more years, and I expect Holland will sign him to a two-year deal during the summer.

- I'm not a huge fan of the fights right off the faceoff, but I absolutely love Tootoo and what he brings to this team. I always liked him in Nashville (I'm weird, I like Steve Ott too), and barring a complete collapse of his game, he'll play out his contract here.

- Quincey has settled down a bit and is playing decently, but I'm still not a fan; I think Kindl could easily replace him (and perhaps Ericsson) given the chance.

- Brunner really comes off as a second/third line tweener to me. He's certainly got good skill and speed, and a third line of Brunner, Helm, and Eaves would be pretty tough to match up against.

- Franzen has definitely worn out his welcome with me. I don't care if he scores 30/30 every year from this point on, his work ethic sucks, and I'd rather give that spot to Nyquist or Tatar.

- Emmerton is playing rather well so far, but with some of the young guys ready in Grand Rapids, he's redundant. Hopefully Holland can get a decent pick for him.

Does that mean he doesn't like the fighting or he'd just rather have Tootoo playing instead of sitting in the box and risking injury?

Babcock would rather have Tootoo out there wreaking havoc in the offensive zone and keeping other guys honest with hard, physical play. The first fight I wasn't fond of, but the second one was inevitable due to last game's demolition of Larsen.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
Does Babcock not necessarily like Tootoo fighting? Just read some comments from after last night's game and he said that "Jordin took it upon himself to have a couple of bouts and we don't mind that either, but we'd just assume he forecheck."

No way that first fight wasn't a planned event. First thing I thought when I saw Abby starting at center, this is a setup

RedWingsNow*

Brunner-Helm-Eaves?

That's about the worst line imaginable.

Two right-handed shots with a center who can't pass.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
"Emmerton is playing rather well so far, but with some of the young guys ready in Grand Rapids, he's redundant."

Seems like we have a bunch of guys at about the same level. Emmerton plays hard and I respect that, same with Abby. These guys work hard but ultimately they gotta make something happen. Bottom 6 with zero points going into last night is not a sign of a good TEAM

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus

Maybe because fights at the start of the game are really REALLY dumb and should result in a 10 minute misconduct?

Or that Jordin isn't being paid $1.9 MM a year to awkwardly punch guys and sit on a bench in a glass box?

His grit and chippy nature are good, but he should use it to play actual hockey: check guys, get under their skin, the occasional fight when on-ice action dictates it. Tootoo has been involved in two opening draw fights and we are only six games in. He was a thirty point guy last year and this year he is trying to be the world's smallest goon.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
A couple quick thoughts...

I wholeheartedly agree with the praise for Emmerton. Never thought I would say this but right now Miller should sit before him. Well Cleary first but :deadhorse Not sure what is up with Miller, he has not done much yet.

Maybe Miller is simply getting back to earth. Since he got here, he had to play his heart out to stay on the team and even in the league. He was never a regular anywhere, Wings gave him a chance and he responded. Now he's pretty much considered a regular but it doesn't look like he fits in anywhere when he's not playing with Helm. All in all I don't see the same drive as when he got here. He needs to contribute with offense to be an asset and I don't even know if he's had a scoring chance this season.

BlakKy

Nov 4, 2010
Toronto
To me it looks like Dats is enjoying his time here again. Maybe it's playing with Fil that does it or maybe he is finally comfortable with his divorce and having his daughter stay with his wife.

BlakKy

Nov 4, 2010
Toronto
Maybe Miller is simply getting back to earth. Since he got here, he had to play his heart out to stay on the team and even in the league. He was never a regular anywhere, Wings gave him a chance and he responded. Now he's pretty much considered a regular but it doesn't look like he fits in anywhere when he's not playing with Helm. All in all I don't see the same drive as when he got here. He needs to contribute with offense to be an asset and I don't even know if he's had a scoring chance this season.

Agreed. At least he doesn't make himself a liability out there, a la Cleary.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
Kinda forgot about this as the game progressed, but I'm glad that Bert didn't suffer a serious eye injury. Bryan Berard immediately popped in my head as I saw Bert grab his face and take off for the dressing room. Scary stuff, and I'm surprised that doesn't happen more often.

Kronwall is still struggling, hope he gets better as the season progresses. I don't think he's cut out for the role he's trying to fill.

Tootoo has made the 4th line matter- time to move him to the 3rd line so it may actually become an asset for the team.

Pavel's steal behind the net and assist to Flip for the first goal was vintage Datsyuk. He doesn't suck.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Kinda forgot about this as the game progressed, but I'm glad that Bert didn't suffer a serious eye injury. Bryan Berard immediately popped in my head as I saw Bert grab his face and take off for the dressing room. Scary stuff, and I'm surprised that doesn't happen more often.

Kronwall is still struggling, hope he gets better as the season progresses. I don't think he's cut out for the role he's trying to fill.

Tootoo has made the 4th line matter- time to move him to the 3rd line so it may actually become an asset for the team.

Pavel's steal behind the net and assist to Flip for the first goal was vintage Datsyuk. He doesn't suck.

The problem is that our fourth line likely disappears the moment Tootoo is taken off it. either way, we become a three line team.

With Helm and Sammy (hopefully) getting healthy, we need to find a way to get both of those lines going. Cleary-Helm-Sammy, Gator-Emmerton-Tootoo, maybe.

Iowa Wingsfan

Jan 9, 2012
He needs to contribute with offense to be an asset and I don't even know if he's had a scoring chance this season.

I concur. Six games without a goal from the entire bottom 6 is unacceptable. I don't expect a goal every game but come on, is a timely goal every now and then too much to ask?

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
I do not like fights off the opening faceoff. They're cheesy and always tend to make me roll my eyes rather than get excited.

That said, I loved 22s second fight, and this replay that they showed during the game http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SZwbjNvRRc is one of the best things I have ever seen in hockey. Hilarious.

I'm becoming a 22 fan.

Also, for those of you who thinks Babcock is mad at him for the opening fight- Babcock put Tootoo on the ice for the opening faceoff. He knew exactly what was going to happen.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
The problem is that our fourth line likely disappears the moment Tootoo is taken off it. either way, we become a three line team.

With Helm and Sammy (hopefully) getting healthy, we need to find a way to get both of those lines going. Cleary-Helm-Sammy, Gator-Emmerton-Tootoo, maybe.

If given the choice, I'd rather the 3rd line be playing well than the 4th if they are getting more IT though. Regardless, the Wings likely won't make the PO's if they don't get meaningful contributions from all 4 lines.

Miller and Cleary have played like they don't deserve to be in the lineup so far. I'm hoping Kenny makes a deal or two when (if?) everyone gets healthy to make some room. Would love to see a 3rd line of Tatar/Gus-Helm-Tootoo.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Granted, I'm a known Kronwall hater, but really guys? Did no one else see this coming?

Kronwall has always been shaky in his own end, prone to brain farts, missed assignments, bad positioning, bad breakout passes... he is also a risk taker, defensively and offensively.

Sure, he can put together a few games where you don't notice him but then he puts together just as many where it seems he can't get off the ice fast enough.

And everyone says "Give him time to adjust!" I swear, he'll be 45 and people will still be begging to give him a chance to adjust. He's not a fricking 19 year old rookie.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
Granted, I'm a known Kronwall hater, but really guys? Did no one else see this coming?

Kronwall has always been shaky in his own end, prone to brain farts, missed assignments, bad positioning, bad breakout passes... he is also a risk taker, defensively and offensively.

Sure, he can put together a few games where you don't notice him but then he puts together just as many where it seems he can't get off the ice fast enough.

And everyone says "Give him time to adjust!" I swear, he'll be 45 and people will still be begging to give him a chance to adjust. He's not a fricking 19 year old rookie.

I'm not as down on him as you are but he does make some really scary clearing attempts in his own zone.

Frozen Fiend

DOUBLE D
Oct 22, 2007
Kalamazoo
Kronner has always been a bit rough on the defensive side of the puck, now that he's taking the #1 spot it's only going to be more exposed. I hope he can better himself, but at 32 I doubt it.

What he does have are great offensive instincts, a nice set of hands, and a highlight reel full of hits. That makes him our best defenseman (unfortunately).

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Datsyuk was unreal last night (to bad he missed two open-netters :laugh:) Also, I'm really loving Z's game this season. And Ericsson is our #1 D in my eyes. Big E has really stepped up.

He's starting to use his body pretty consistently. I like that a lot. He's being a bully and shoving people around.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
Just finished re-watching the game & I've got to say this was our best game yet. Some things I noticed though:

1. 1st goal was on Kronwall, now that he's playing 26 minutes a game he's going to be mentally tired but he has to try to limit his mental lapses. If he corrects this during the season it shouldn't be a problem

2. The only thing holding Howard from moving up to the 2nd tier of top goalies is his rebound control.

3. Top six was great but Datsyuk still doesn't seem to be 100% into game mode, he's firing on all cylinders offensively but defensively he still seems a bit lacking. (Errant passes that get picked off, Dallas goal where he just dumps it into center as an example)

4. Brunner really is impressing me, he seems very coachable and should be a constant force for us all year.

5. Our 4th is great, really gives some live to us when we need it. Also Emmerton has finally started to show his worth, the improvement from last year to now is huge and I'd have no problem with him as the 4th line C going forward.

6. The last point is Cleary is finished. You can tell he's going balls out but he just doesn't have "it" anymore, he can still put in an okay PK shift every now & then, give us an okay 4th line quality shift. But he shouldn't be on the PP or in the top 6 anymore. The only way I see him back next year is on a 1 year 1 million contract to play on the 4th line.

If we play like we did last night the rest of the year we should make the playoffs as the 6th or 7th seed, maybe even the 5th.

PS: Kindl played alright even with his silly penalties, really like how he is using his body & Quincey had one of his better games as well.

Last edited:

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
He's starting to use his body pretty consistently. I like that a lot. He's being a bully and shoving people around.

Yeah, he has a very clear role and he's doing just about everything you'd expect.

• The most minutes at even strength
  • The most minutes short handed
  • Using his size (recent example was knocking Morrow on his ass)
  • Draws as many penalties as he takes
  • .952 SV% at EVS when he's on the ice

He's a rock-solid defensive defenseman. I know someone here tried to argue he's an offensive defenseman and that's clearly not the case. If he develops some offensive production that's outstanding. The most important thing is he's doing everything you want to see from him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->