Post your lineups:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leo Naphta

May 14, 2004
On top of the World
DaaaaB's said:
I can't believe Henrik Sedin is on this team ahead Michael Nylander. Nylander is better at both ends of the ice. Sweden probably didn't want to seperate the sisters. :joker:

Nylander is pretty much a one-way player and not much liked by the coach. That is why he is not on the roster. Sweden will likely put the best players on the two top lines. That means that the likes of Ekman, Axelsson and Nilsson will be wingers on the third and fourth line. Unlike the two top lines, which will be expected to spend most of their time in the offensive zone, the third and fourth line will be expected to spend a significant amount of time in the defensive zone. Hence, Sweden needs two-way players to center those lines. Since Nylander is a defensive liability, and since he is not good enough to center the top lines, he was left out altogether.

Henrik Sedin is not considered as one-dimensional as Nylander, and could in any way be winged.

mach777

Nov 10, 2003
Leo Naphta said:
Henrik Sedin is not considered as one-dimensional as Nylander, and could in any way be winged.

The Sedins are young and the tournament would be a good experience for them even if they won't play much. I'd call it 'building for the future'.

Mach

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Ott = Snott said:
Ah thats right, your age fits the name of the site. Modano experiences one bad season due to off-ice problems (not due to age). His first bad season in 15 year career, and suddenly he's no longer a superstar. Ok.. Gotcha..

Yet you kept claiming how Stevens was still the league's top defensive stalwart last year and continuesly defended Elias for just having an off-year prior to this season. But sure.. I gotcha.. Modano is trash..
Modano is still among the NHLs elite IMO, but if he has another 60 point or less season I don't think he deserves to that title anymore.

Stevens though was still NJ's number 1 defenseman last year until his injury and had been playing just as well as years past. He was better than any d-man on Dallas' roster.

Also, Elias is 28, Modano is 33 (or 34 I'm not sure). Anyway Elias is just entering his prime while Modano's play will start going downward soon. Patrik also pulled out 57 points in his off year to Modano's 44. He wasn't even good defensively, he was a -21. I'm not saying Elias is a better player than Modano, but those are some pretty big differences.

Chuckalinsky

May 1, 2004
Russia?

What about team Russia? They are looking pretty stacked besides between the pipes. No love for the Big Brown Bear?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
MissionHockey said:
Modano is still among the NHLs elite IMO, but if he has another 60 point or less season I don't think he deserves to that title anymore.

Stevens though was still NJ's number 1 defenseman last year until his injury and had been playing just as well as years past. He was better than any d-man on Dallas' roster.

Also, Elias is 28, Modano is 33 (or 34 I'm not sure). Anyway Elias is just entering his prime while Modano's play will start going downward soon. Patrik also pulled out 57 points in his off year to Modano's 44. He wasn't even good defensively, he was a -21. I'm not saying Elias is a better player than Modano, but those are some pretty big differences.

What are you trying to say? It seems like you're falling prey to the idea that one bad season has sunk the good ship Mike Modano. His physical talents are still there, and his off-ice horror story is a thing of the past. If Joe Sakic can still "chug along" at his "old age", surely Mike Modano can.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Rabid Ranger said:
What are you trying to say? It seems like you're falling prey to the idea that one bad season has sunk the good ship Mike Modano. His physical talents are still there, and his off-ice horror story is a thing of the past. If Joe Sakic can still "chug along" at his "old age", surely Mike Modano can.

Honestly, I don't think that the majority of this board looks beyond last year. It's quite typical, hence you now see Draper among the league's top centers and see a guy like Kiprussof leading the goalie rankings. Modano is an average forward who's utterly poor defensively..

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Gagne - Sakic- Iginla
Heatley-Thornton-Marleau
St.Louis-Richards-Lecavalier
Morrow/Smyth-Draper-Doan

Nieds-Foote
Jovo-Pronger
those 4 are basically set
redden-regehr/brewer

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Ott = Snott said:
Honestly, I don't think that the majority of this board looks beyond last year. It's quite typical, hence you now see Draper among the league's top centers and see a guy like Kiprussof leading the goalie rankings. Modano is an average forward who's utterly poor defensively..

I totally agree. This has to be the most bandwagon jumping prone forum I've ever seen.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
jtuzzi21 said:
Nieds-Foote
Jovo-Pronger
those 4 are basically set
redden-regehr/brewer

I don't think those 4 are set at all... There are many possibilities for the d-men lineups

SedinFan*

me2 said:
Sedin Sedin Modin

A line of Sedin-Sedin-Modin will destroy opponents offensively. Maybe then people will realize how good the Sedins actually are. EXTREMELY underrated offensively.

They made Wade Brookbank look like an NHLer, and turned Trent Klatt into a 2 million dollar forward.

Kovy274Hart

Jul 9, 2004
Shaolin
www.battleofny.com
MissionHockey said:

What happened to Modano was the same thing that happened to Leetch when he was named captain. Some players just can't handle the pressure that comes with it. Leetch never had the personality to be one. I'm not sure about Modano. I wouldn't write him off at all. He's still an elite center and can bounceback.

Pat_Habs

Aug 7, 2004
Gagne-Sakic-Iginla
Heatley-Thornton-Lemieux
Richards-Lecavalier-St.Louis
Smyth-Marleau-Doan

Pronger-Foote
Niedermayer-Redden
Jovanovski-Brewer

Brodeur

I can't think that we insert Draper and Maltby in team when we have 2 offensive guys like Marleau and Doan that they can play well in defence and hit some players of the other teams.

So, that's my lineup.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Roughneck said:
For Canada, the only line that I think is a guarantee to START the tournament is the Gagne-Sakic-Iginla line.

Will Sweden put out the Naslund-Forsberg-Alfredsson line :eek:

I need to agree :bow:
AWESOME haha :) :handclap: :bow:

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
gib said:
Yes, I would. Lehtonen has always been super star, Kirpusoff has never been not more than good goalie. Of course Kiprusoff can prove me wrong in World Cup, but honestly I believe that Lehtonen will take number one spot for himself.

Kiprusoff was awesome goaltender in Sm-liiga when he played in TPS and last year he showed his skills all the people around world..

LEhtonen will not be number one goaltender world cup i can bet 100€ for that..

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
GO SWEDEN GO FINLAND GO!!!
:)
Forsberg,Naslund,Alfreddson! i can't wait!! :shakehead

Then Fan line will kick everybodys @sses :)

But i would love to see!
Heatley-Sakic-Iginla

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
My Team Canada:

Lemieux-Sakic-St. Louis - A highly-skilled top unit featuring two all-time greats and the reigning Hart Trophy winner. Two forwards - Sakic and St. Louis - are darn good defensively.
Marleau-Thornton-Iginla - The power line. All over six feet, 200 pounds, strong and highly skilled. A defenceman's nightmare.
Richards-Lecavalier-Heatley - A mis-mashed line of sorts. Combine Lecavalier and Richards familiarity with Heatley's booming shot.
Smyth-Draper-Doan - An outstanding checking line. Draper's the reiging Selke winner. Smyth and Doan are gritty and defensively aware, and were amongst the stop scorers in the league at their positions.
Extras: Gagne, Morrow, Maltby

Defence:
Foote-Niedermayer - A no-brainer. The world's best defenceman since the 2003 all-star break with one of the best defensive defencemen of his era.
Pronger-Jovanovski - The strong, steady, skilled Pronger with the stylish Jovanovski. Two big defencemen, too.
Brewer-Redden - A smart pairing. Brewer's at his best when it counts. Redden's the steadiest defenceman on the team, and can score, too.
Extras: Regher, Hannan - Two of our top young defensive defencemen.

Goalies:
Brodeur-Luongo-Belfour

I know the temptation will be to recycle units from past international competitions. (Grind Line from 2003 Worlds, Sakic line from 2002 Olys). However, those strategies often don't work.

Canada will win because we are the only country without a major weakness. The Swedes have no goaltending. The Americans have no defence. The Russians are in disarray. The Czechs can't match our depth or goaltending.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
JasonMacIsaac said:
You only as good as your last game....or in this case.....you re only as goo as your last season.

Let's see how Modano does this year before writing him off.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
JasonMacIsaac said:
You only as good as your last game....or in this case.....you re only as goo as your last season.

Most pathetic statement I've ever read on HF.. And there've been a few so go figure.

*Takes mental picture for reminder when in need of a good laugh*

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
s7ark said:
I don't think those 4 are set at all... There are many possibilities for the d-men lineups

Maybe Foote, Niedermayer, and Pronger are set as top three, but I certainly don't think Jovo is set in the top four. Personally I'd take Redden before Jovonovski.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
with Kapanen out, (Hagman in) i think Summanen will try putting all of his apples in one basket

Peltonen-Koivu-Lehtinen
Ruutu-Jokinen-Selänne

with two scoring lines coming on constantly, the other 2 lines would be designed against the specific opponent to hold them down

if that doesn't work (Peltonen not good enough for NHL pace)
then Lehtinen-Koivu-Selänne
Peltonen-Jokinen-Hagman
x-Ruutu-x with Ruutu providing a third scoring threat

He'll try Peltonen-Jokinen at some point, as they worked well at the world championships
another 3rd line could be Ruutu-N Kapanen-Hentunen

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Ott = Snott said:
Most pathetic statement I've ever read on HF.. And there've been a few so go figure.

*Takes mental picture for reminder when in need of a good laugh*
I'm sure your "Dallas has three #1 defensmen, Hatcher is 1.A, Zubov is 1.B, and Boucher is 1.C" is far worse. Look no further then your posts when the word pathetic comes to your mind. Every pro athlete will tell you they are only as good as their last game. You are from the Netherlands.....honestly how many NHL games could you possibly see.....I doubt 20.

Alb Tkachuk

Jun 13, 2004
Germany
Finland:

Lehtinen - Koivu - Selänne
Peltonen - Jokinen - Hagman
Laaksonen - T.Ruutu - Hentunen
J.Ruutu - Kapanen - Nieminen
Scratches: Hahl, Pirnes, Eloranta

Timonen - Väänänen
Niinima - Pitkänen
Numminen - Salo