Post your funny "quick fix"

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
93 Beretta GT

My engine mount was gone. A wishbone style fairly accessible in the engine bay. I taped the unit off and sprayed the cavity with spray foam. Worked like a charm.

Also one day while driving out of town the accelerator pedal went flat to the floor. The firewall had rotted away where the tensioner was held. I pulled a length of i think 12gauge speaker wires off my system and ran the wire through the hole to the throttle and pulled on the speaker wire to accelerate for the hour drive home lol

Changing the alternator in a Canadian Tire parking lot in -20 with channel locks. Had the gf reef on the belt tesioner with a hockey stick

99 Tahoe LT

Was changing the starter and for whatever reason ended up cutting the positive cable. After installing the new starter the positive cable was too short, so I had some 1 gauge speaker wire laying around and used that instead. Lasted 8 years...

Last edited:

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
I got my steering fixed in my 04 Sienna by offering Ryder + Halak and a 2nd. Of course this was back in the day when that package had some serious value.

Good times.

Reactions: TD Charlie

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Not mine, but my dad's. He drove a little Ford Fiesta back in the 90s, to cut down on gas costs and what not. the floor boards rotted out, though, and the shifted fell through the hole that used to be the floor. He threw some plywood down, bolted the shifted through the plywood and kept going for I don't know how many more years. I think a deer through the windshield one foggy morning is what finally killed that car. Then he got another Fiesta.

Reactions: Fixxer

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Not mine, but my dad's. He drove a little Ford Fiesta back in the 90s, to cut down on gas costs and what not. the floor boards rotted out, though, and the shifted fell through the hole that used to be the floor. He threw some plywood down, bolted the shifted through the plywood and kept going for I don't know how many more years. I think a deer through the windshield one foggy morning is what finally killed that car. Then he got another Fiesta.
Haha yeah that was a common fix.

My dad painted his old beetle with a roller...orange

Reactions: Fixxer and Winger98

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
1990 Cadillac deville. The drivers window would fall if you touched it, because the ball bearing attached to the window track had broken the plastic football shape piece it was inside of in the track. Parts counter would not order me just one, so i plucked one at a junkyard

It broke again. So i had my door panel on without any of the screws (behind all the trim lights, handles, and the control panel) just a couple plastic clips. I once ordered at a drive through, paid, and put my window back up before the food came.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Current car 2012 Dodge Journey. Blend door actuator broke and was clicking nonstop even when the car wasn’t running. Since i couldn’t reach it to replace it, i just unplugged it. Now both sides of the car have to use the same air conditioning temp (god forbid) but no more clicking!

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Oh another one on the 1990 Cadillac. The chip in the key theft system thing was all screwed up. The wiring in the ignition snapped, so the chip in the key wasn’t making contact where it needed to, and the car wouldn’t start. I pulled the wiring and spliced in a resistor into the ignition that matched the key. I probably could’ve jammed a butter knife in there after that and started the car, since the resistor was permanently installed

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
One of the foglights on my Legacy GT is being held in by zip ties and I have to stand on the gas to make it start about half the time. Probably a bad fuel pump.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
One of the foglights on my Legacy GT is being held in by zip ties and I have to stand on the gas to make it start about half the time. Probably a bad fuel pump.

My 69 Barracuda has similar issue starting. Then it unleashes a deafening roar when it starts cuz the gas is to the floor

ArchAngel55

Nov 16, 2008
Philadelphia, Pa
I install auto glass for a living. One of my accounts broke a windshield on a customer's Lambo. The glass was over $3k so I wasn't touching it since I didn't think the account had the $ to pay me for it. They screwed in plexiglass instead of a windshield. There was a screw all around the border every 3 inches. I found out it was a MMA fighter's car. The place closed right after and I never heard from any of them ever again.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
When I was camping, I saw a car that had a hole cut in the roof and a stove installed. I have no idea if that car was still driving. In the three days I stayed there it didn't move. Still had plates, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad