2nd Team
LW Nikolai Zherdev, Clb
C Tuomo Ruutu, Chi
RW Trent Hunter, NYI
D Marc-Andre Bergeron, Edm
D Dan Hamhuis, Nas
G Sebastien Caron, Pitt

I'm going by ESPN's positions.

I was tempted to switch Bergeron and Pitkanen around because in the last half Bergeron has gotten the Edmonton PP rolling...Nedved helps alot but Bergeron is awesome on the point. Pitkanen has played more games so I gave it to him and he is the better player so.

Others who I gave consideration to: Paul Martin, NJ; Garnet Exelby, Atl

Who do you think?

Safir*

First Team

Center: Tuomo Ruutu, Hawks
Left Wing: Ryan Malone, Pens
Right Wing: Michael Ryder, Habs

Defenseman: John-Michael Liles, Avs
Defenseman: Joni Pitkanen, Flyers

Goaltender: Andrew Raycroft, Bruins

Second Team

Center: Patrice Bergeron, Bruins
Left Wing: Nikolai Zherdev, Jackets
Right Wing: Trent Hunter, Isles

Defenseman: Dan Haumhuis, Preds
Defenseman: Garnett Exelby, Thrashers(²)

Goaltender: Michael Leighton, Hawks(³)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
(²)= Homer pick, but XLB is playing a solid season. Paul Martin would be my next choice.

(³)= IMO Leighton stats were a tiny bit better, than Caron's.

Munchausen

1st:

Malone - Ruutu - Ryder
Pitkanen - Hamhuis
Raycroft

2nd:

Zherdev - Bergeron - Hunter
Liles - Martin
Caron

I know I didn't put M-A Bergeron and he deserves to be there as well, so sue me. I just like the other 4 better.

IFK

Jul 25, 2003
Visit site
First:

Ryan Malone-Tuomo Ruutu-Michael Ryder

Joni Pitkanen-J-M Liles

Andrew Raycroft

Second:

Nikolai Zherdev-Patrice Bergeron-Trent Hunter

Dan Hamhuis-M-A Bergeron

Michael Leighton

john g

Mar 6, 2002
Korbi
no love for the defensive dman - Orpik :shakehead

Hamhuis and Joni P got my votes on the first team but I would take Brooks on my 2nd team anyday

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Aki Fan said:
no love for the defensive dman - Orpik :shakehead

Hamhuis and Joni P got my votes on the first team but I would take Brooks on my 2nd team anyday
He is like -100...lol Now way anyone picks him no matter how well he is doing in the situation.

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
JasonMacIsaac said:
Now way anyone picks him no matter how well he is doing in the situation.

So you are saying that because of one stat, no one will pick him? That because of one almost meaningless piece of information, people will forgo the opinions they've derived from watching him. I'd hate to have 'these' people picking anything important.

john g

Mar 6, 2002
Korbi
"He is like -100"

Ahh yes very true, i forgot that +/- is an individual stat, my bad :banghead:

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Aki Fan said:
"He is like -100"

Ahh yes very true, i forgot that +/- is an individual stat, my bad :banghead:
I think that his +/- is a valid argument. He doesn't put up points, and has the worst +/- of any defenseman on his team.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
1st team

Zherdev - P. Bergeron - Ryder
Pitkanen - Hamhuis
Raycroft

2nd team

Malone - Rutuu - Hunter
M.A. Bergeron - Liles
????

This is taking into account wing positions. Without that, Hunter should be 1st team and Zherdev 2nd.

john g

Mar 6, 2002
Korbi
kasper11 said:
He doesn't put up points.

Noted as why I stated defensive defenseman

kasper11 said:
I think that his +/- is a valid argument......and has the worst +/- of any defenseman on his team.

The team isnt good first of all, +/- isnt valid because I would play with Sakic and Tanguay and have a decent +/-, that doesnt reflect on my talent nor should it take away from theirs.

Doesnt matter, the people whom cant see past points will vote for Liles, Pitkanen, Hamhuis anyways and Martin/Hale because they stepped up for Stevens absence.

and I thought it was Post "your" rookie team. :)

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
We know Orpik's good. Others will realize it in time. We don't need a grassroots campaign for the guy (or any other Penguin).

The Tang

I like gooooollllddd
Sep 19, 2002
Pittsburgh. PA
Visit site
kasper11 said:
I think that his +/- is a valid argument. He doesn't put up points, and has the worst +/- of any defenseman on his team.
name one person on the Pens, not aquired towards the end of the year, that doesnt have a god awful +/- stat. you cacnt hold thr +/- against orpik when pretty much the entire team has the same rating

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
SmokeyClause said:
So you are saying that because of one stat, no one will pick him? That because of one almost meaningless piece of information, people will forgo the opinions they've derived from watching him. I'd hate to have 'these' people picking anything important.
I seen him play....he is a physical defensemen...thats it. His defensive zone coverage is horrible and he has no offense to boot.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Raider Zero said:
name one person on the Pens, not aquired towards the end of the year, that doesnt have a god awful +/- stat. you cacnt hold thr +/- against orpik when pretty much the entire team has the same rating
So you are saying his +- is average among a team of rookies......you are killing what argument he once had.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
orpik is a nasty open ice hitter, but he still has a little way to go.

i wouldn't put him in the same class as the top rookie defenders yet.

+/- is not a useless stat when comparing players on the same team. that said, him and tarnstrom have drawn a lot of hardest assignments for the bulk of the season. wouldn't be so easy to handle on such a poor team.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Orpik is just that, a rookie who does some spectacular things at times (how often do you actually notice a defenseman on the ice unless he is of the offensive variety?) but makes rookie mistakes too. And plays for what has been a lousy team who can not cover up rookie mistakes as some of the others have the luxury of. I would answer whether he would be on the all rookie team by asking what the critereon is. If you are looking for finished product he is not there yet. But I doubt that many that would be listed ahead of him here would last if orpik was offered up for trade for them straight up. Give it a year and he will really be something, and most GM's know that.

Z-Diddy

Mar 20, 2004
Uh... Brooklyn!
They need to get rid of the days in which the 24 year old rookie flurrishes. With an exception to back stoppers the age limit needs to be brought down to 21-22 at the latest. I would be choked if my young prospect wasnt producing numbers like ryder totals at 24.

fullmetalninja

Jan 11, 2003
Chicago
Zherdev-Ruutu-Ryder
Liles-Pitkanen

Malone-Bergeron-Lupul
Hamhuis-Martin

#1 Goalie- Raycroft
#2 Goalie- Toss up

-fullmetalninja

Status
Not open for further replies.