Post Your 2020 Draft List

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
In the top 12, there are 2 players that could go number 1 in any other draft, around 3 #2's, and probably 6 #3's.

Kirby Dach was my #3 player for last year’s draft. I considered him a fairly average #3. The only players I would take above him or Byram are Lafreniere, Raymond, Byfield, Gunler, or Lundell. This is a great draft, but not “11 top 3 players” great in my opinion. Holtz, Perfetti, Rossi, Stutzle, Chromiak, Barron, and Drysdale are all top 10 talents in my book.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Kirby Dach was my #3 player for last year’s draft. I considered him a fairly average #3. The only players I would take above him or Byram are Lafreniere, Raymond, Byfield, Gunler, or Lundell. This is a great draft, but not “11 top 3 players” great in my opinion. Holtz, Perfetti, Rossi, Stutzle, Chromiak, Barron, and Drysdale are all top 10 talents in my book.
I may have over exaggerated this early, but not by that much. I think Perfetti, Rossi, Holtz, Stutzle, and Barron could all be #3's as an early projection. Include the 5 you mentioned and add Mysak as an outside candidate, you have 11 players all with high potential. At this point last year, Dach or Byram hadn't shown as much production, or as much promise as this years draft class.

Also luckily for hawks fans and other fans of teams who picked 3rd, the last few #3's have been looking pretty good. Ex: Strome, PLD, Heiskanen, and Kotkaniemi.

Reactions: flamebird

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
If Lafreniere goes first, he'll be the first winger to be picked first overall since Yakupov in 2012. Especially nowadays it seems that team prefer to take defensemen and centers early in drafts, which is why it will be interesting to see how 2020 draft plays out 'cos there are a lot of highly ranked wingers at the moment. Of course the draft is still almost a year away and a lot of players may rise and fall in the rankings but I think it's an interesting thing to keep in mind come the draft.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
If Lafreniere goes first, he'll be the first winger to be picked first overall since Yakupov in 2012. Especially nowadays it seems that team prefer to take defensemen and centers early in drafts, which is why it will be interesting to see how 2020 draft plays out 'cos there are a lot of highly ranked wingers at the moment. Of course the draft is still almost a year away and a lot of players may rise and fall in the rankings but I think it's an interesting thing to keep in mind come the draft.
Really hasn't been a winger in pole position entering the year since Yakupov and previously Hall. Generally, the person in pole position holds on such as Dahlin, Matthews, McDavid, MacKinnon (but that was more of a split with Jones), Tavares, and Stamkos. Now, you see the occasional pass by an underdog like Hischier. 2014 was really a split to start the year between Ekblad, Nylander and Reinhart. 2011 Larsson probably had the lead to start but RNH entered the year pretty much top 5.

I get your point that bad teams generally desperately need a center, and therefore will take one which is why Byfield is a threat. But, it could also play out like Hall/Seguin, where the real tie-breaker ends up being a track record. Hall had 3 elite seasons to fall back on as a late-birthday, Seguin had a very good OHL rookie year and an elite 2nd year.

I'm not sure teams prefer defenders over wingers. Defenders tend to have the most uncertainty outside of goalies and the riskiest projections, whereas wingers tend to have the safest (although, there will always be Yakupov's). 2014 was wide open at the top, and Dahlin was a better prospect than Svechnikov. High-up in the draft we've seen guys like Marner go over Hanifin who were viewed as in the same tier, Drouin over Seth Jones, and we've seen the reverse with Juolevi over Tkachuk.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Really hasn't been a winger in pole position entering the year since Yakupov and previously Hall. Generally, the person in pole position holds on such as Dahlin, Matthews, McDavid, MacKinnon (but that was more of a split with Jones), Tavares, and Stamkos. Now, you see the occasional pass by an underdog like Hischier. 2014 was really a split to start the year between Ekblad, Nylander and Reinhart. 2011 Larsson probably had the lead to start but RNH entered the year pretty much top 5.

I get your point that bad teams generally desperately need a center, and therefore will take one which is why Byfield is a threat. But, it could also play out like Hall/Seguin, where the real tie-breaker ends up being a track record. Hall had 3 elite seasons to fall back on as a late-birthday, Seguin had a very good OHL rookie year and an elite 2nd year.

I'm not sure teams prefer defenders over wingers. Defenders tend to have the most uncertainty outside of goalies and the riskiest projections, whereas wingers tend to have the safest (although, there will always be Yakupov's). 2014 was wide open at the top, and Dahlin was a better prospect than Svechnikov. High-up in the draft we've seen guys like Marner go over Hanifin who were viewed as in the same tier, Drouin over Seth Jones, and we've seen the reverse with Juolevi over Tkachuk.

Of course, for us it is impossible to know when a team drafts a center or a defender if they do it because of the position or because they have ranked the player as the BPA. However, when you look at top 10s of each draft, it is mostly just centers and defenders and it just seems like whenever a player is picked before he was expected to, that player is a center or defender. It makes sense as you can easily convert centers to wingers but it harder to do vice versa, and of course you don't see defenders turned to forwards or the other way around very often.

I don't have any hard data, this is just something I have noticed and heard a lot of people discuss over the years, how valuable centers and defenders are. I'm sure you have heard it as well. It would be good to find out for each draft year the risers and fellers based on the position they play compared to the last player rankings prior to the draft. You could see, what position there risers and fellers generally play.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I feel like Lafreniere is going to get picked apart by critics this year because he’s been in the limelight so long and is a late ‘01 to boot. Guys like Byfield who are more raw but absolute beasts are going to gain momentum.

That said, I think any thought of Lafreniere not going #1 right now is a mistake. He’s not Crosby and he’s not quite generational and sure he’s not a center but he’s absolutely everything else. He’s just lovely to watch...explosive but graceful, effortless power, scores and play makes in equal fashion, strong on-ice determination and intelligence, picked his game up in the playoffs even more. Truly the heir apparent to the great French-Canadian superstar wingers of the past with a game that would thrive in any era.

There’s going to be a lot of noise as usual and a lot of drummed up hype for competition as the top pick in 2020 but just don’t see how you cannot take this kid as things stand.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
He isn’t showing up on many lists yet but the player I see most in the Zegras/Marner mold is Tim Stutzle out of Germany. Only seen him play twice but he’s dynamic, creative, quick, tenacious in pick battles, and has excellent vision. I don’t see a player of this mold at the top of the normal pack in most rankings. I have Stutzle at #9 going into next year.

- 2.62 ppg in the u20 German league (21 gp, 23g, 32a, 55p)
- 10 points off the league scoring lead in 14 less games
- Over 1.5 ppg in every international appearance this year

Stutzle is ridiculous.

2020 is absolutely loaded, best draft since 2015 easily.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I feel like Lafreniere is going to get picked apart by critics this year because he’s been in the limelight so long and is a late ‘01 to boot. Guys like Byfield who are more raw but absolute beasts are going to gain momentum.

That said, I think any thought of Lafreniere not going #1 right now is a mistake. He’s not Crosby and he’s not quite generational and sure he’s not a center but he’s absolutely everything else. He’s just lovely to watch...explosive but graceful, effortless power, scores and play makes in equal fashion, strong on-ice determination and intelligence, picked his game up in the playoffs even more. Truly the heir apparent to the great French-Canadian superstar wingers of the past with a game that would thrive in any era.

There’s going to be a lot of noise as usual and a lot of drummed up hype for competition as the top pick in 2020 but just don’t see how you cannot take this kid as things stand.

Great post, I agree.

He’s also got a real nastiness to his game.

Reminds me of a Rocket Richard and Gordie Howe mix.

I’ve said he’s Gordie Howe reincarnated going back to last years Hlinka.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
German Junior League is pretty low level, no?

Yeah

but Stutzle is stupidly skilled.

He goes top 5 in the 2019 draft IMO.

I’m not even certain he goes top 10 in 2020, it’s just such a loaded draft.

Lafreniere
Byfield
Raymond
Holtz
Lundell
Barron
Drysdale
Schneider
Stranges
Askarov
Stutzle
Etc.

Armchair scouts and HF hardcores are going to love this draft, most already do and have seen the 2020 class coming for a couple years.

Last edited:

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
German Junior League is pretty low level, no?

Yes but it has gotten a bit more competitive in recent years (we will have to see if that trend continues).
When Dominik Bokk dominated the league a few years ago, he went to Sweden for his draft year and wasn't doing too bad in a much better league. Stützle is, imho clearly better than Bokk was at the same age. In fact I would go so far as to say Stützle is closer to Draisaitl than he is to Bokk.

What is starting to worry me a little is that he seems to be getting injured a lot lately.
I really hope that is just a phase and he stays healthy this season, so I can watch him a lot.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
There are two players reading these lists that I think are very underrated, Jeremie Poirier and Jean-Luc Foudy.

Poirier has a near NHL build already for a defensemen (6’0 192) with elite stickhandling for a defensemen. It’s not as good as Dahlin, who might be the best you’ll ever see for a two way defensemen, but aside from Dahlin, I’m struggling to think of a two way D who can make players look so bad with skill moves. He also has an elite hockey IQ and projects as at least an average, probably above-average defensive player. Defensemen with good size who can handle the puck like that and play defense get picked in the top 10-15.

Foudy’s brother was drafted 18th because he was a forward with elite speed and enough offensive ability to play in the top 9. Jean-Luc is a much better all around skater. He has the same speed, but his edges are at least as good as the Hughes brothers, and maybe better than them in that regard. He also has first round skill and playmaking that would make him a first rounder without the skating. Combine ability to play the center of the ice and a good enough two way game, and I don’t see how he’s not a top 10 pick.

There are a lot of good players in this draft, but I think these two players are being underrated. They have tools that you rarely see from anyone in any draft.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Yeah

but Stutzle is stupidly skilled.

He goes top 5 in the 2019 draft IMO.

I’m not even certain he goes top 10 in 2020, it’s just such a loaded draft.

Lafreniere
Byfield
Raymond
Holtz
Lundell
Barron
Drysdale
Schneider
Stranges
Askarov
Stutzle
Etc.

Armchair scouts and HF hardcores are going to love this draft, most already do and have seen the 2020 class coming for a couple years.

If only the American squad was even close to as good as last years this draft would be insanely deep. Maybe Peterson can have a break out and the rest of the squad can challenge as the season goes on but I'm not holding my breath. I think we will see a few of the 2021 kids make the jump up to the U18 team. The defenders seem to be an especially good group.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
There are two players reading these lists that I think are very underrated, Jeremie Poirier and Jean-Luc Foudy.

Poirier has a near NHL build already for a defensemen (6’0 192) with elite stickhandling for a defensemen. It’s not as good as Dahlin, who might be the best you’ll ever see for a two way defensemen, but aside from Dahlin, I’m struggling to think of a two way D who can make players look so bad with skill moves. He also has an elite hockey IQ and projects as at least an average, probably above-average defensive player. Defensemen with good size who can handle the puck like that and play defense get picked in the top 10-15.

Foudy’s brother was drafted 18th because he was a forward with elite speed and enough offensive ability to play in the top 9. Jean-Luc is a much better all around skater. He has the same speed, but his edges are at least as good as the Hughes brothers, and maybe better than them in that regard. He also has first round skill and playmaking that would make him a first rounder without the skating. Combine ability to play the center of the ice and a good enough two way game, and I don’t see how he’s not a top 10 pick.

There are a lot of good players in this draft, but I think these two players are being underrated. They have tools that you rarely see from anyone in any draft.

Overall thoughts on 2020?

I know this is a draft a lot of us have been waiting. Some of these these guys chosen in the 10-20 would be top 5 picks in the 2016, 17, 18, and 19 draft IMO.

Really excited for this one.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Overall thoughts on 2020?

I know this is a draft a lot of us have been waiting. Some of these these guys chosen in the 10-20 would be top 5 picks in the 2016, 17, 18, and 19 draft IMO.

Really excited for this one.

I think it'll be good, but I don't know if it has the top-end talent to challenge 2015. Maybe it can challenge 2013, but even then, will the top-end talent in this draft be comparable to MacKinnon, Barkov, Jones?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Of course, for us it is impossible to know when a team drafts a center or a defender if they do it because of the position or because they have ranked the player as the BPA. However, when you look at top 10s of each draft, it is mostly just centers and defenders and it just seems like whenever a player is picked before he was expected to, that player is a center or defender. It makes sense as you can easily convert centers to wingers but it harder to do vice versa, and of course you don't see defenders turned to forwards or the other way around very often.

I don't have any hard data, this is just something I have noticed and heard a lot of people discuss over the years, how valuable centers and defenders are. I'm sure you have heard it as well. It would be good to find out for each draft year the risers and fellers based on the position they play compared to the last player rankings prior to the draft. You could see, what position there risers and fellers generally play.
Teams clearly prioritize centers, I don't think it is clear they prioritize defenders over wingers though due to defenders tending to be riskier picks development-wise.

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
In the top 12, there are 2 players that could go number 1 in any other draft, around 3 #2's, and probably 6 #3's.
This is a bit overblown IMO. It's a great draft, but there are many prospects that have gone 1 or 2 I'd take over the top 10 or so of this crop. Just to use last draft as a reference, the only player that I believe can exceed Kakko/Hughes pre-draft is Lafreniere, and while Byfield and Raymond have a chance to reach that level, they need to take huge strides this season, IMO.

flamebird

Jul 28, 2007

JL Foudy is a natural center just like his brother. Anyone who watches his play on a regular basis would say the same thing as they watch how he plays the game. Fantastic skater who looks to make his linemates get in on the action, usually the job on a center. If he plays between Cuylle and Douglas this year, look out.

On a sidenote I have this draft being as good and possibly better than the 2003 draft which is arguably the best draft class ever in the NHL (1st Round ONLY at this point in time). Guys you love will fall outside the top 10 and even the first round, but I believe these guys will still carve out good NHL careers.

Reactions: snipes

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Only knock on Foudy's game is he sometimes holds on to the puck too long...And I guess strength, but who cares about that. As he matures, that won't be an issue.

Absolutely DYNAMITE skater...Excited for people in this thread who haven't watched him yet, to see just how stupid fast he is.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
I highly doubt that Byfield is even close to Lindros as a prospect.
I think he is comparing styles. I’ve yet to see Bayfield play in the OHL but YSE is my region and I have seen him play a couple dozen times and I’ve always thought Lindros with more speed and less physical.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
I think Vierling is gonna go top 15. He is an excellent two way player that is really good in all parts of the game. Normally you don’t take two way players that high in the draft. I think he will be the steal in the draft and go on to be a top two way player in the league. I’m not saying he is the next Bergeron, but he won’t be far off

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Also think Lleyton Moore can jump up a bit. I was in the minority’s that thought he was better than Drysdale.

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
Finns

1. Anton Lundell
2. Topi Niemelä
3. Kasper Puutio
4. Kasper Simontaival
5. Eemil Viro
6. Christoffer Sedoff
7. Roni Hirvonen
8. Joel Blomqvist
9. Roby Järventie
10. Oliver Suni
11. Veeti Miettinen
12. Ruben Rafkin
13. Joel Määttä
14. Niki Korpialho
15. Joona Lehmus
HM: Ville Ottavainen
HM: Juuso Mäenpää

Overagers

1. Aleksi Matinmikko
2. Joonas Oden
3. Jasper Patrikainen
4. Kristian Tanus
5. Samuel Salonen
6. Wiljami Myllylä
7. Kari Piiroinen
8. Eemil Erholtz
9. Axel Rindell
10. Aleksi Klemetti

Last edited:
Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
Only knock on Foudy's game is he sometimes holds on to the puck too long...And I guess strength, but who cares about that. As he matures, that won't be an issue.

Absolutely DYNAMITE skater...Excited for people in this thread who haven't watched him yet, to see just how stupid fast he is.
How would you compare his skating to Stranges?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad