Post your 2018 Draft Board

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
The last few years the post-draft discussion has been pretty heated, so I thought it might help if folks posted their rankings or draft board beforehand to set a base line.

You can post a top 10, or do the whole 1st round, whatever you are comfortable with. I wanted to do a top 40 since we have 4 picks in that range currently.

*disclaimer*- My board is NA biased... I omitted rating Kravtsov, and I probably have Kupari and Lundestrom too low.

1- Rasmus Dahlin
2- Andrei Svechnikov
3- Filip Zadina
4- Noah Dobson
5- Oliver Wahlstrom
6- Adam Boqvist
7- Brady Tkachuk
8- Quinn Hughes
9- Evan Bouchard
10- Jesperi Kotkaniemi
11- Ty Smith
12- Joe Veleno
13- Joel Farabee
14- Bode Wilde
15- Barrett Hayton
16- Grigori Denisenko
17- Jared McIsaac
18- Akil Thomas
19- Ryan Merkley
20- Rasmus Kupari
21- Dominik Bokk
22- Alex Alexeyev
23- Ty Dellandrea
24- K'Andre Miller
25- Calen Addison
26- Jack McBain
27- Jake Wise
28- Johnny Tychonick
29- Isac Lundestrom
30- Serron Noel
31- Ryan McLeod
32- B.O. Groulx
33- Rasmus Sandin
34- Joanatan Berggren
35- Martin Kaut
36- Allan McShane
37- Kirill Marchenko
38- Mattias Samuelsson
39- Cam Hillis
40- Blake McLaughlin

HM: Beaudin, Woo, Durzi, Fonstad, SDA

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
1. Dahlin
2.Svechnikov
3.Boqvist
4.Zadina
5.Dobson
6.Hughes
7.Bouchard
8.Wahlstrom
9.Tkachuk
10.Kotkaniemi
11.Smith
12.Veleno

I could do a full first round but I don't think I'm knowledgeable enough for it to be meaningful beyond those 12. I remain very high on Boqvist despite the injury. Besides that I think my list is pretty typical. My biggest hope for 30/31 is that Merkley is still there. Beyond that I like Berggren, Kaut, Bokk, Tychonick, Addison, Dellandrea, Woo and Miller as potential targets.

The Geelee

Jul 27, 2013
1. Rasmus Dahlin
2. Filip Zadina
3. Noah Dobson
4. Andrei Svechnikov
5. Oliver Wahlstrom
6. Quinn Hughes
7. Brady Tkachuk
8. Evan Bouchard
9. Jesperi Kotkaniemi
10. Adam Boqvist
11. Martin Kaut
12. Joel Farabee
13. Vitali Kravtsov
14. Barrett Hayton
15. Alexander Alexeyev
16. Jonatan Berggren
17. Joe Veleno
18. Grigori Denisenko
19. Filip Hallander
20. Rasmus Sandin
21. Adam Ginning
22. Ty Dellandrea
23. Allan McShane
24. Dominik Bokk
25. Serron Noel
26. Jonathan Tychonick
27. Liam Foudy
28. Rasmus Kupari
29. Bode Wilde
30. Jan Jenik
31. Isac Lundestrom

Avoid: Ty Smith Jared McIsaac Akil Thomas

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
i'll just copy a post I made a few days ago on the prospects board:

1. Dahlin
2. Svechnikov
3. Zadina
4. Boqvist
5. Hughes
6. Bouchard
7. Dobson
8. Wahlstrom
9. Kotkaniemi
10. Tkachuk

Dobson gets a slight boost from me wanting the Wings to draft a Defenseman otherwise i'd have him behind Wahlstrom and Kotkaniemi

grewalwings

May 23, 2014
Ontario
1 Dahlin
2 Svechnikov
3 Zadina
4 Boqvist
5 Tkachuk
6 Bouchard
7 Dobson
8 Hughes
9 Kotkaniemi
10 Wahlstrom
11 Smith
12 Wilde
13 Veleno
14 Farabee
15 Denisenko

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
1 Dahlin
2 Svech
3 Zadina
4 Hughes
5 Dobson
6 Wahlstrom
7 Tkachuk
8 Bouchard
9 Boqvist
10 Kotkaniemi

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
My Board (for Detroit Specifically)

1 - Rasmus Dahlin
2 - Noah Dobson
3 - Evan Bouchard
4 - Quinn Hughes
5 - Adam Boqvist
6 - Brady Tkachuk
7 - Filip Zadina
8 - Andrei Svechnikov
9 - Oliver Wahlstrom
10- Jesperi Kotkaniemi
11- Ty Smith

Players I also think we should target:
Jared McIsaac
Mattias Samuelsson
Alex Alexeyev
K'Andre Miller
Rasmus Sandin
Jett Woo

Ideally I want 2 D men in the top 40.

Reactions: njx9

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I'm comfortable with a top 15. I've done decent research on the guys in this range. Some guys who should go here won't be included because I haven't researched them (notably Kravtsov and Denisenko)

1. Rasmus Dahlin: Duh
2. Andrei Svechnikov: Best goal scorer in the draft. While Zadina scores a lot from the top of the dots, Svechnikov can make goals happen from anywhere. He also plays a more complete physical game.
3. Filip Zadina: Great goal scorer. One of the best shots in the draft, if not the best.
4. Evan Bouchard: In the past I haven't been very high on Bouchard, but I've warmed up to him. He has elite hockey sense and vision, which is the number one thing I look for in a prospect. For this reason I think he has the best chance at being a number 1 guy in the NHL. The concerns that he isn't a good skater are overblown, just because the defensemen around him are elite skaters. My only concern with him is his release takes too long, but that's not something that can't be taught. His defense will also improve in time.
5. Oliver Wahlstrom: Another goal scorer. I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up scoring 30 goals consistently in his career. His shot is lethal and his puck skills are excellent.
6. Quinn Hughes: Imagine if Pavel Datsyuk played defense and had elite skating. That's what you're getting with Hughes. The way he skates with the puck to create space and find the open guy is Datsyukian. He doesn't have a bomb from the point, but he will create so many scoring opportunities with his vision. He won't be a shut down guy, which is why he's lower than Bouchard, but his offensive abilities will make up for it.
7. Noah Dobson: I used to have Dobson as the best D past Dahlin, but not anymore. It has nothing to do with him, it's because I've done more research on the rest of the D available in the top 10. I still believe he'll be at the least a shutdown guy on your top pair who can join the rush at times. He's great in transition and is described as a one man breakout, it's obvious how having a guy like him would help Detroit.
8. Brady Tkachuk: I'm not as high on Tkachuk as other, but he will still be a good player. Stat watchers will say he has a low offensive ceiling, but if you watch him you'll see a player with excellent playmaking abilities. His vision is superb and he uses his body along the boards to protect the puck while he finds the open man, almost like Zetterberg. His edge is a bonus, this isn't a guy overrated because of his name and size, he's a legit player.
9. Adam Boqvist: Boqvist is the definition of a boom or bust prospect. He has legit skills and could very well be the next Erik Karlsson, but if he busts he will bust hard. His defensive play is questionable even compared to Hughes and he has already had concussion issues. He's still a great prospect who I'd be happy with at 6. If the professionals have confidence in him I won't complain about the pick.
10. Jesperi Kotkaniemi: This is the most likely prospect to be taken higher than expected as a reach for positional need, and it wouldn't be a bad pick. If you're Montreal and you have only one decent center prospect (Poehling) then he isn't a bad selection. He's a good playmaker and two-way player, and plays a strong cycle game. If a team doesn't reach for him he could rise a few spots in a re-draft.
11. Joe Veleno: Veleno's skating is elite and he's a great all around center. He exploded offensively when traded to Drummondville during the season. He won't be a game breaker, but he'll be everything you want in a #2 center.
12. Ty Smith: Smith has great vision and has that ability to slow the game down. He may not be flashy but always makes the right play (those descriptions may sound familiar to us Wings fans). He doesn't have the skill like Boqvist and Hughes, but he has the IQ.
13. Joel Farabee: Every coaches wet dream. He plays great on both ends of the ice and has great work ethic. He's also skilled, bringing solid goal scoring to the table. Will be a great addition to any teams top 6.
14. Barret Hayton: Hayton is a fast two way center who is also a coaches wet dream. He'd be kind of redundant for the Wings because of his similarities with Larkin. He'd be a great fit for Dallas in my opinion. An offense lead by Seguin, Hayton, and Faksa down the middle would be tough to play against.
15. Bode Wilde: A highly skilled defenseman, but he has trouble putting it together consistently. He has a high upside and a lot of teams will be willing to take a chance on him. His physical play helps his stock as well.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
1. Dahlin
2. Svechnikov
3. Bouchard
3. Dobson
5. Hughes
6. Wahlstrom
7. Zadina
8. Kotkaniemi
9. Ty Smith
10. Bode Wilde

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
  1. BUF | Rasmus Dahlin
  2. CAR | Andrei Svechnikov
  3. DET (MON)| Filip Zadina
  4. OTT | Adam Boqvist
  5. ARI | Oliver Wahlstrom
  6. MON (DET)| Jesperi Kotkaniemi
  7. VAN | Noah Dobson
  8. CHI | Quinn Hughes
  9. NYR | Evan Bouchard
  10. EDM | Brady Tkachuk
Detroit trades their #6, LV 1st, and 2019 2nd Round pick for #3.

Ottawa goes for their Karlsson replacement.

Arizona gets the perfect linemate for Keller.

Montreal gets the best center in the draft.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
  1. BUF | Rasmus Dahlin
  4. OTT | Adam Boqvist
  7. VAN | Noah Dobson
  8. CHI | Quinn Hughes
  9. NYR | Evan Bouchard
  10. EDM | Brady Tkachuk

Your trade all of that for Zadina?

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
I’m very high on Zadina, and am not particularly crazy over any of the top 4 D in this draft so I would make that move. If Montreal declined I’m currently leaning toward taking Kotkaniemi at 6. I realize our D depth is atrocious but honestly outside Larkin and maybe Rasmussen our F depth sucks too. (Still not completely sold on Mantha)

Last edited:

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
  1. BUF | Rasmus Dahlin
  4. OTT | Adam Boqvist
  7. VAN | Noah Dobson
  8. CHI | Quinn Hughes
  9. NYR | Evan Bouchard
  10. EDM | Brady Tkachuk

Wings have too many holes to fill to be trading 2 picks to move up 3 lousy spots.
Take BPA @ 6 and do the same with the Vegas pick, and hope they all work out.
Rinse, repeat next few drafts.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
1. Dahlin
2. Svechnikov
3. Zadina
4. Hughes
5. Wahlstrom
6. Bouchard
7. Kotkaniemi
8. Dobson
9. Smith
10. Tkachuk

I am not a fan of Tkachuk and he would be the only player the Wings could pick off this list that would majorly upset me. I'm high really high on Ty Smith. Boqvist's concussions knocked him off my wish list. I want us to go hard after K'andre Miller even if it means dealing some of those surplus picks we have to move up.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Draft board for Detroit:
Dahlin
Svech
Bouchard
Hughes
Boqvist
Dobson
Smith
Wilde
Miller
McIsaac

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Avoid: Ty Smith Jared McIsaac Akil Thomas

Why don't you like these 3?

I am not a fan of Tkachuk and he would be the only player the Wings could pick off this list that would majorly upset me. I'm high really high on Ty Smith. Boqvist's concussions knocked him off my wish list. I want us to go hard after K'andre Miller even if it means dealing some of those surplus picks we have to move up.

I like him as a player. Definitely like him a lot more than I liked Rasmussen last year. But I don't think he is the best thing for us as far as moving the needle on a re-build. I do expect Detroit to take him if he is there though, so brace yourself for that.

Hawaiibros

May 18, 2017
1. Dahlin
2. Svetchnikov
3. Dobson
4. Zadina
5. Bouchard
6. Tkachuk
7. Boquist
8. Hughes
9. Wahlstrom
10. Farabee
11. Kotkoniemi
12. Smith
13. Veleno
14. Kupari
15. Wilde
16. Olafsson
17. Hayton
18. Sandin
19. Alexeyev
20. Kravstov
21. Kaut
22. Lundestrom
23. Miller
24. Lundquist
25. Dellandrea
26. Bernard
27. Woo
28. McIssac
29. Denisenko
30. Thomas
31. Bokk

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I think he will go top 5, and we will end up with a defenseman. But we will see how it shakes out. Arizona pairing him with Keller would probably be a sick combo, tbh.
Yeah I think Ottawa or Arizona will scoop him up. I do think he's a good player, just not what we should be targeting. Maybe he's the piece that finally fixes Arizona. I don't understand why that team is still bad.

Dead Thing Fan

Jan 25, 2016
What I think(hope???)will happen

Buffalo: Dahlin
Carolina: Svetch/Zadina
Montreal: Svetch/Zadina
Ottawa: Boqvist(Sens grab Karlsson replacement)
Arizona: Tkachuk/Wahlstrom(Zona goes for American forward)
Detroit: Dobson-I can only hope that his superior play*** in the recent Memorial Cup hasn't boosted his stock so much that he gets picked before we can grab him at 6. Bouchard and Hughes are acceptable but want nothing to do with Boqvist and his concussions.

***Can't say that I watched every minute of Dobson's play in the Memorial Cup, but I was very impressed with what I did see. He seems to check off a lot of the boxes you would associate with a top pair dman: size(may not be finished growing-definitely need to bulk up)skates well with speed, good first outlet pass, good hockey IQ, kept the brain cramps to a minimum. Wasn't overly psychical, but more often than not, he came out the scrum with the puck. One thing that caught my attention was that a very high percentage of his shots from the point got through to the net. Even if the shot didn't quite make it to the net, the proximity of the shot to the net allows his teammates to make a play on the puck. The TV commentators all seem to agree that he was only going to improve and that he had an almost unlimited ceiling.

After drafting Dobson, I'm okay with drafting more dmen with picks 30/31, 33 and 36. Can't have too many options when it comes to the blue line. Throw in Cholo and Hronek and, in 2-3 yrs, our back end will start to take shape for the following decade.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
I honestly don't think they can go too wrong at #6. *jinx!*

Dahlin, Svech & Zadina should be gone. Then you've got Bouchard, Dobson, Hughes, Boqvist, Wahlström. I'm fine with all of those, though a D would probably fill the biggest need. Not sure about Tkachuk, although he's the one I've seen least of. Haven't honestly seen enough of the North Americans d-men to put them in a strict order and compare with Boqvist.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->