Post WJC Updated Team Top 20 Prospects

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
With the 2020 WJC's in the books (Go Canada Go), thought it would be fun (and engaging) if we all posted our updated Top 20 organizational prospect lists.

Here is Florida's to get things started.

1. Cale Makar (1)
No surprise that he holds down the top spot. While his hold on the Calder may be slipping slightly (still the favourite but others are stepping up), Makar has established himself as one of the top young defenders in the NHL and will be an impact player for the HFNHL Panthers next year.

2. Trevor Zegras (3)
Zegras moves up a spot. He's having a fantastic post draft year, playing well for Boston University and was one of the top forwards at the WJC's. Looks every bit the top playmaking center that I hoped he would become to finally give the Panthers a homegrown center (after a recent drought).

3. Moritz Seider (4)
Also moves up a spot. Seider has been terrific in his first AHL season with Grand Rapids, on pace to have one of the better U19 AHL seasons for a defender. Helped Germany avoid relegation at the WJC's, where he was one of the tournament's top blueliners. At this point, he looks like a stud Top 3 defender and someone who can anchor my PK.

4. Jordan Kyrou (2)
Slides down a bit, not necessarily because he's playing poorly, but because Zegras and Seider have had sensational years. Kyrou is up with the Blues again, but is seeing limited ice time. Just needs to find an opening to establish himself full time, as he's scoring well in the AHL.

5. Cayden Primeau (11)
Rockets up the list and has become one of the better goaltending prospects on the planet. Started off the AHL season on fire. Then went through a patch where he struggled. Those ups and downs are to be expected in his first pro year. But what he has shown is the capability of being a number one NHL netminder.

6. K'Andre Miller (6)
While Miller is still a bit raw in the decision making department, you can't argue with the physical tools that he possesses. Projects as a strong two-way player with his size and mobility on the backend. Having a nice sophomore year at Wisconsin.

7. Ty Dellandrea (8)
Fresh off of a WJC victory with Team Canada, Dellandrea is a terrific two-way center who projects as a number 2-3, and who should combine with Trevor Zegras to hold down the center position for Florida for several years. Would be very happy if he could become a Mikael Backlund type of player.

8. Nick Robertson (19)
Rocketing up prospect lists because of the season he is having in the OHL and because of the way that he played at the WJC's. With his increased intensity level and continued improvement to his skating, Robertson has the skill level and make up to be a top 6 forward. Craig Button compares him to Jake Guentzel quite frequently, who is a current HFNHL Panther standout.

9. Tyler Madden (9)
Madden has elevated his play to become one of the NCAA's premier players. Near the top in most offensive categories, Madden is an energetic, but very skilled player. When I drafted him, I did not think that he possessed the kind of hands that he does. Like Robertson, he too possesses the potential to be a top 6 impact forward.

10. Liam Foudy (10)
Foudy is coming off a terrific performance at the WJC's for Canada, where I thought he was one of the team's best forwards. His speed will play in the NHL. If he can be as consistently engaged physically and as patient with the puck in the OHL and in the future, as he was at the World Juniors, then his game could really grow to higher heights than I thought.

11. Martin Fehervary (16)
Having a very nice first pro season in North America. Is playing well for Hershey in the AHL. Size and mobility make him a potential shut down defender, but his offensive game continues to improve. Has already seen a bit of NHL action and could be a regular very soon.

12. Jacob Bernard Docker (12)
Another Team Canada Gold medalist, JBD is having a very solid year with North Dakota and looked good as a complimentary defender for the Canadians. Not sure he has the potential to be a top pairing defender, but his mobility and smarts should make him a solid second pairing guy.

13. Scott Perunovich (HM)
Continues to get better in the NCAA. Slightly undersized defender who is among the leaders in defenseman scoring in the NCAA and is a top candidate for the Hobey Baker. Once thought to be strictly an offensive defender, his play in his own end has improved tremendously. Last UMD game that I watched, he was blocking shots, throwing hits, and looks to have really rounded out his game.

14. Alex Nedeljkovic (17)
Just keeps on trucking at the AHL level, waiting for his chance to play for the NHL's Hurricanes. Finds himself top 10 (or close to it) in most categories again in the AHL. No longer waiver eligible next year in the NHL, it seems he will finally get his shot and I'm excited to see what he can do with it.

15. Michael Dipietro (14)
Having a terrific first year in the AHL, which is great to see considering his disastrous finish to last season (including an embarrassing first NHL game on emergency recall). Has already been rewarded with a call-up by the Canucks this year and looks like his skill set has adapted.

16. Alex Barre-Boulet (13)
An AHL all star again, Barre-Boulet has matched his strong AHL rookie season with an equally strong sophomore campaign. A bit perplexing to me that the Lightning keep skipping by him for NHL call-ups with injuries, but would have to think he gets his chance soon enough.

17. Dmitri Samorukov (18)
Buried in depth on the AHL's Condors, Samorukov's offensive production and transition to the pro level hasn't gone as well as I had anticipated. Yet, I find myself still believing in him as a prospect. Took him time to adjust to the OHL as well.

18. Riley Stillman (HM)
The offensive numbers aren't terrific, but this kid is a gamer. Loved watching him in the OHL and he's transitioned very well to the pro game as a stay at home defender. Currently up with the Florida Panthers where he may have found a permanent home, anchoring their PK and playing top 4 minutes during their recent strong stretch.

19. Aliaksei Protas (HM)
A player that I really liked at the draft last year and got in the middle rounds. He has had a fantastic year in the WHL as a 19 year old with Prince Albert, consistently in the top 5 of WHL scoring all year long. He's a huge kid, but his confidence continues to grow.

20. Joey Keane (HM)
How can you not include an AHL All Star, in their rookie pro season, in your top 20? Joey Keane did not have a strong final OHL year, but whatever changes he made this offseason has worked. Playing well and playing a ton for Hartford and looks to have positioned himself well in a weaker NYR system for defenders.

Honorable Mentions:
Trent Frederic (15)
Jake Evans (20)
Nikita Alexandrov (HM)
Jack Rathbone (HM)
Josef Korenar (HM)
Jimmy Schudt (HM)
John Farinacci (HM)
Aidan Dudas (HM)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad