Post WJC - Updated Florida Panthers Top 20 Prospects

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Always love reading these after the World Juniors finish, so I'll be the one who starts the trend. Also segues nicely into the release of our updated prospect handbook.

Graduations from Previous List:
Jake Guentzel
Troy Stecher

1. Jesper Bratt (New)

The main piece acquired as part of the Brent Seabrook deal, Bratt has been a revelation in New Jersey as an NHL rookie. Plays in all situations for the Devils already and is among the league lead in rookie scoring. Projects to be a very well rounded SIM player.

2. Jordan Kyrou (13)
Has had a sensational year all around and has established himself as one of the more offensively skilled prospects around. Led the OHL in scoring for most of the season by a fair margin (has been past recently because of being at the WJC's) and was great for Canada at the WJC's, leading the team in scoring.

3. Mark Jankowski (3)

Needless to say, I've had to be incredibly patient waiting for Jankowski after drafting him in the first round in 2012 (just like Calgary). But it's finally paying off as he's finally become a full time NHL player and has taken over the 3rd line center for the Flames. Seems likely to be a long time NHL (and HFNHL) player.

4. Kristian Vesalainen (6)
First rounder of the Panthers at last year's HFNHL draft has had a terrific season back in Finland, (was leading his team in scoring prior to the WJC's). He has the most points of any U20 player in the Liiga. If he can finish the season around the point per game mark, he'd be right on par with the post draft seasons of some of Finland's better young NHL players. Thought he was great the WJC's too.

5. Adam Fox (4)
Maybe hasn't had the same type of season that he had as a freshmen last year, but he's still up around the PPG mark as a defender and was one of the higher scoring defenders at the WJC's. Will still need to improve defensively, but is one of the better offensive defender prospects on the planet because of his IQ and ability to run the powerplay.

6. Kiefer Bellows (9)
The switch to the WHL, not surprisingly, has been terrific for Bellows. Has been great for Portland and is coming off a record setting performance at the WJC's where he broke Jeremy Roenick's goal scoring record for team USA. The major piece of the Jonathan Quick trade, Bellows can flat out rifle the puck.

7. Denis Malgin (14)
A forgotten prospect and IMO one of the more underrated young players in the game. Played in the AHL last year and even got NHL time as a 19 year old. And as a 20 year old was up over a point per game in the AHL before being called up to the NHL where he seems to have stuck, playing on Florida's 2nd line.

8. Wade Allison (18)

The big power forward had a great freshmen season at Western Michigan last year but has absolutely exploded this year as a sophomore. He has led the NCAA in scoring at different points this year and currently sits tied for 2nd as I write this. Is emerging as one of the top prospects in the NCAA.

9. Travis Dermott (8)
Playing in his second AHL season, Dermott has established himself as one of the AHL's top young defenders, having been named to the AHL All star team recently. His terrific play has also recently earned him a call up to the Leafs where he hopefully can play well enough to stick. Not a sexy prospect, but should be a solid second pairing guy who plays in all situations.

10. Ryan Donato (15)

Has taken his game to another level in his junior season with Harvard and could certainly be a contender for the Hobey Baker this year. Leads the NCAA in points per game (21 in 13) and was recently named to the U.S. Olympic squad. The Panthers reached a bit drafting him in the first round of 2014, but he's finally emerging as someone worthy of that title.

11. Trent Frederic (5)
Production for this Boston Bruins' first rounder hasn't been quite as good in his sophomore season, but he remains a solid prospect who is coming off an appearance with the US WJC team. Scored 4 goals in the Bronze Medal game. Likely projects as a quality 3rd line center down the line.

12. Dennis Cholowski (10)
Has been everything expected of him this season in the WHL with Prince George after leaving the NCAA. The former first rounder of the Panthers (and of the NHL's Wings) is right near the top of defenseman scoring and is over a point per game. His size and mobility make him a likely bet to be an NHL player, but remains to be seen as to what type of potential he has IMO.

13. Jake Evans (HM)

A long time HFNHL prospect of the Panthers and another guy the team has been super patient with, allowing him to play out all four seasons at Notre Dame. Has been an extremely productive NCAA player but as a senior, he has emerged as one of the nation's best players, currently tied for second in NCAA scoring (with Allison). Also suited up for Canada at the Spengler Cup and is a candidate for the Olympic team.

14. Michael Dipietro (7)

Falls a bit only because some other HFNHL Panthers' prospects have had terrific seasons. Was a first rounder by the team at last year's draft and is one of the top young goaltenders in Canada. Coming off a Memorial Cup championship last year, Dipietro has been one of the CHL's top netminders again this year. Likely Canada's starter at next year's WJC's.

15. Samuel Blais (HM)
Who? Was a longer shot re-entry pick by the Panthers a few years ago who put up 26 goals as an AHL rookie last year, which was the best of any player under 23. Then as a sophomore he broke camp with the Blues, and has been over a point per game in the AHL (shuttling between the NHL and AHL).

16. Alex Nedeljkovic (19)
Former OHL goaltender of the year and 2nd round pick of the Panthers. Nedeljkovic has become a full time AHL player in his second pro season. The good news? He's 3rd in wins. The bad news? His stats outside of that aren't great (SV percentage under .900). Consistency has been an issue as a pro so far. Doesn't have a ton of competition in Carolina though and is at least progressing.

17. Colton Point (HM)
Coming off a solid freshmen season with Colgate, Point has emerged as one of the NCAA's best in his sophomore year. Top 5 in both save percentage and goals against average and has elevated a relatively weak squad into a contender. Served as Canada's back-up at this year's WJC's, posting a shutout against Slovakia in his only start. Starting to look like a legitimate prospect.

18. Jonah Gadjovich (17)
The "man child" is a personal favourite of mine. His skating stride certainly isn't pretty, but he plays a solid pro style game and the NHL's Canucks were quick to sign him to his ELC. Fresh off helping Canada win Gold at the WJC's.

19. Grant Mismash (HM)

The numbers aren't eye popping for the freshmen at North Dakota, who was an early 2nd round pick of the Panthers last year. He has 14 points in 20 games. But North Dakota is a very low scoring squad and at times, his production has led the team in scoring (currently sits 2nd). Interesting to see how he develops.

20. Cayden Primeau (HM)

Was a bit hesitant to rank Primeau at 20 (considering I've left some young-ish current NHL'ers off my list), but I believe highly in his potential. Has come to NorthEastern as a freshman and has taken over the starter's role. Has a .924 save percentage and is top 10 in pretty much every goaltending category. I was shocked when he fell to the 7th round of the NHL Draft, but he's proving a lot of people wrong so far.

Honorable Mentions
Paul Ladue (11)
Mike McCarron (12)
Matt Grzelcyk (20)
Vince Hinostroza (HM)
Oscar Fantenberg (HM)
Dmytro Timashov (HM)

At this point, I'm very happy with the development of a lot of my prospects. The pool has been rebuilt to more of my standards and I've still got some trade chips to deal away before the deadline which can hopefully add to this list even more for the future.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
the resurgence of bellows and jankowski has really helped your top end depth. patient and smart to keep some of those higher upside under performers as relative to draft position in the organization to see the fruits. really like the bratt pickup as well. that was a fantastic get.

CopperAndBlueGM

Mar 9, 2017
Impressive. Well done.

I look forward to the day the HFNHL Oilers have enough to create a top 10 list ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad