NHL Entry Draft: Post-WJC Mock Draft for January [2 rounds]

newdimension

May 18, 2013
Here's my monthly mock draft, which I liked to produce once per month for fun. As always, I'm not a scout or anything -- it's all for fun. Any notes or comparisons should be taken in stride. Not everyone is going to go on and become an exact replica of their comparable; or even an NHL'er, for that matter.

The draft lineup is as of January 6th. It's also in post-playoff formula, with my predicted ECF finals (Tampa over Washington) and WCF finals (Vegas over Nashville). My Cup finals/winner is Tampa Bay over Vegas.

As for the draft lottery, it went like this:
1. St. Louis
2. New Jersey
3. Arizona

[ Round 1 ]

1. St. Louis: Jack Hughes, C/W
Kakko's closed the gap, so he might be an option. That said, I still have Jack Hughes on top. If they win the lottery, I think he's the type of explosive forward the Blues would love to add.
Comparison: Mitch Marner/lesser-Patrick Kane type of elite point-producing forward that can make plays and brings elite level of skill to the ice.

2. New Jersey: Kaapo Kakko, RW/C
He's closing the gap on Hughes... but will it be enough? He's certainly good enough to go #1. Either way, he's an amazing consolation prize for not winning the lottery's first pick. An arsenal of Hall-Hischier-Kakko upfront seems like a deadly combination.
Comparison: Mikko Rantanen/maybe a lesser Auston Matthews. Big, strong, huge offensive numbers and really good defensively.

3. Arizona: Dylan Cozens, C
Since they traded away Dylan Strome, they need to re-fill on potential top centers. They got Hayton last year, who'll likely be a #2; Cozens could be that #1 going forward. His size and speed should be a real boost to their forward group.
Comparison: Think of him as something between a Mark Scheifele and Mika Zibanejad. Big, speedy, versatile, feisty center that can really shoot the puck, which is another thing the Coyotes could really like about him.

4. Colorado [from Ottawa]: Kirby Dach, C/W
I'm pretty sure Colorado would like someone that could contribute asap. Normally, I'd have them select Podkolzin, since he'd seem perfect for them, but his contract in Russia needs to be played out first. As such, they could go for Dach, who's had a cold run in regards to stats; but his actual on-ice play has still been quite good from what I've seen. In the future, Brady Tkachuk-Kirby Dach would be compared endlessly given what Ottawa has given up. Since Dah would mainly have to slot behind MacKinnon it helps take the pressure off on becoming a #1 center, which is in his favor.
Comparison: Ryan Johansen/Mikko Koivu hybrid. Excellent playmaking center with great size; and some okay'ish skating. I think he'll have a pretty solid two-way career, hence the Koivu comparable.

5. Philadelphia: Vasili Podkolzin, RW
He had an amazing WJC, officially putting him into the top 5. He'd go top 3 if the Russian factor wasn't there. In terms of skill and tenacity, he's exactly what the Flyers have been drafting for these past few years.
Comparison: Matthew Tkachuk. He probably doesn't have the overall grit and agitation that Tkachuk has, but there's some similarities in how they go directly to the net with speed, determination and tenacity, along with the ability to play offensively and defensively. He's a type that'll make it hard to play again.

6. Chicago: Alex Turcotte, C
The Chicago-boy gets drafted by his hometown team sounds really nice. Considering the Hawks love to go local and their love of skill, it can only make sense. Essentially, they'd hope he can takeover from Jonathan Toews in the future.
Comparison: Brayden Point/Henrik Zetterberg type of two-way center that's blessed with dynamic speed, smarts and excellent defensive and offensive skills.

7. Los Angeles: Philip Broberg, D
He's drifted a little down the board on my personal list; but I could still see teams loving the package he brings. With the Kings possibly trading one of their defenseman around the deadline to help with a rebuild, he might make a tasty option for them. They put a lot of trust in their European scouting and they've been wanting to add guys with speed and skating ability, it seems like a good matchup.
Comparison: At top end, I think he's like Rasmus Ristolainen: a big, mobile #2 type defenseman that'll get shots on goal, use his speed and size to create havoc coming through the neutral zone and can be a bit physical. Otherwise, maybe his floor is a... John Moore type? Obviously the Kings will be hoping for the former, hoping they can get a better reading on his hockey IQ.

8. Detroit: Trevor Zegras, C/LW
The Red Wings have focused on size and goal scoring these past few drafts. Now it's time they went with pure skill in taking Zegras. Whether he comes in as a winger or center, he could be a setup man that dishes to guys such as Zadina or Mantha.
Comparison: Claude Giroux. He's a shifty, playmaking, albeit slightly undersized forward that can shift to center or wing, allowing him to put points on the board. I think he's going to be a riser.

9. New York Rangers: Matthew Boldy, LW
A power forward/goal-scoring American forward seems exactly up the Rangers's alley. Boldy can hit, check, score goals and do a little bit of everything, having top line winger upside. They could essentially go with a lineup as Boldy-Zibanejad-Kravtsov as their top line, which could drive defenders crazy.
Comparison: Jamie Benn. He's a physical, goal scoring winger that can be difficult to defend against.

10. Florida: Bowen Byram, D
Byram stays within the top 10, dropping only due to some other teams focusing on center/forwards. He'd be an ideal pickup for the Panthers, though, considering their need for blueline depth.
Comparison: Morgan Rielly. Like Rielly, he's mobile, smart and swift. He can do a little of everything, including bringing some physicality or a well-time hit. Maybe not a true elite defender, but a guy that could contend for a number pairing slot.

11. Carolina: Connor McMichael, C
It really wouldn't surprise me if he's the Jesperi Kotkaniemi of this draft; meaning a player that jumps way up the board. He's been on quite a roll this season, showing that he can excel as both a goal-scoring center and as a smart, versatile two-way presence. I'm still not 100% sold on Martin Necas being a center at the pro level, so giving him some healthy competition would be a good depth move for the 'Canes.
Comparison: Logan Couture is probably his upside. He doesn't have the best stride, but gets things done, including scoring goals. He also comes from the London Knights factory, so his rise wouldn't surprise me in the last.

12. Edmonton: Peyton Krebs, LW/C
Born in Alberta, he plays with a lot of passion and skill. In short, it's something desperately needed on this Oilers team. He has the speed to potentially keep up with McDavid, the willingness to win and has some good underlying numbers while playing on an underwhelming team. It's a perfect fit.
Comparison: His upside is that of a Dylan Larkin type of firebug that never stops, with his middle area being sort of similar to a Travis Konecny type of playmaking energy forward.

13. Minnesota: Yegor Afanasyev, LW
It's hard to say exactly what the Wild will do; especially with their off-the-board selection from last year. In saying that, I think they could go a little off-the-board again. Afanasyev is getting underrated; but his combination of size, speed, hands, grit and two-way play should be getting him jumping up the draft board. He's already playing in North America and has been igniting the USHL.
Comparison: He reminds me of a Rick Nash/Chris Kreider type of power winger that'll burst to the net, go hard to the front, owns terrific speed and can score goals.

14. Vancouver: Moritz Seider, D
Seider's been jumping up the board lately. I think he gets into the top 20 -- maybe even top 15 -- by the time everything is done. He's a big shutdown guy that they could pair with Quinn Hughes, making him the more conservative, physical aspect of the two.
Comparison: Darnell Nurse. He seems like a big, raw, mobile presence on the ice. He's also capable of putting up points, while using his big frame to his advantage.

15. Montreal: Brett Leason, RW
After last year, I thought they'd be rebuilding. However, the Habs are in this really weird place, where they're stuck in between "win now" and "full rebuild". Leason, while a double-overager, strikes a lot of criteria the Habs like in their prospects: a rising curve in development, good character, physically fit and he seems like a bold two-way presence on the ice. He plays with Cole Fonstad, so they've surely gotten long, hard looks at him. If they deem he's worth it, he could very well be their guy -- as they're a team that doesn't hesitate in taking risks; ie: Kotkaniemi last year.
Comparison: For me, he's an Alex Tuch type of forward. A guy that can play anywhere, brings blistering speed, playmaking, aggression, size drive to the lineup. I could see him being a good complement to someone such as Kotkaniemi.

16. Anaheim: Cam York, D
The Ducks could be looking to rebuild their defense, which has taken a hit these past few years. He's a local area kid as well, which would do wonders for hockey in the area. He brings a well-rounded, two-way game with some "keep it simple" offense from the blueline.
Comparison: Keith Yandle. A playmaking defenseman that does everything smart, passes the puck with ease and keeps things mobile and efficient.

17. Colorado: Matthew Robertson, D
They're in a "win now" mode, so they'd likely take someone -- preferably a defenseman -- that's pretty close to making the jump. He's a big, shutdown type that can throw the body, shoot the puck and calms the game down. With a lot of puck movers, they need someone that can stabilize their backend.
Comparison: Hampus Lindholm type of defenseman. Blessed with a large frame, he can calm things down, play physical, move the puck along and even has a hard shot from the point for powerplay duty.

18. Dallas: Ryan Suzuki, C
They draft a lot out of the OHL. Taking Suzuki gives them a playmaking center that they can pair with someone such as Jason Robertson to play in a second line role. Ideally, they'd have Seguin-Suzuki-Dellandrea/Faksa down the middle, giving them plenty of options going forward.
Comparison: Paul Stastny. A pass-first playmaking center that'd likely excel in a second unit role.

19. Buffalo: Victor Soderstrom, D
The Sabres love drafting Swedes. They could see him as the perfect complement to a Rasmus Dahlin. If he's still here, they would be foolish to pass on him. With Dahlin on the left and Soderstrom on the right, it gives them a solid pairing for the next decade or so.
Comparison: Josh Morrissey. Not a high scoring defenseman, but someone that keeps things mobile, alert and on the move, while occasionally being able to throw a nice check or two.

20. New York Islanders: Jakob Pelletier, LW
The Islanders are no strangers to picking from the QMJHL. Pelletier, who is undersized, will gleefully make everyone that passed on him due to that lack of size look foolish when looking in the rear view.
Comparison: Vincent Trochek. Like Trochek, he's an undersized sparkplug that can put plenty of shots on the net, play a two-way game, forecheck hard and brings plenty of energy on the ice.

21. Columbus: Alex Newhook, LW/C
I could see a situation that Newhook drops because of the league he plays in. The BCHL is seen as a lesser league; and with guys such as Tyson Jost still not finding their footing, it could force him down somewhat. He's still got plenty of speed and skill, though. The Blue Jackets would proudly select him in this range.
Comparison: Nikolaj Ehlers. I don't think he'll be a big "driver" of offense... but is capable of playing in a top 6 role and producing numbers.

22. Boston: Spencer Knight, G
First off, I wouldn't be surprised if a team took him in the top 20. He's the best goaltender prospect to come along in a while. Second, he's a New England area kid, which would make it extra interesting for the Bruins, who'd watch him develop locally. Third, while they have some goalie prospects, there's no top tier guys.
Comparison: He's a John Gibson/Carey Price-like big, cool, calm, collected, talented goalie that's athletic, good at stopping and seeing the puck, even decent in transitioning to defensemen.

23. Pittsburgh: Arthur Kaliyev, LW
With Wahlstrom dropping last year, it wouldn't surprise me to see Kaliyev also fall. Kind of similar players -- "floaty"-yet talented-goal scorers. The Pens have shown interest and success in some fallers previously. Why not go back to the well?
Comparison: Thomas Vanek. Goal scoring offensive winger that'll put up good numbers in a top 6 role, along with on the powerplay.

24. Winnipeg: Lassi Thomson, D
The Jets love their Finns. In this case, they take Thomson, who's developing in Kelowna's notorious defensive system, expecting the offensive defenseman to develop nicely for them.
Comparison: Justin Faulk. An offensive defenseman that's mobile, has a hard shot and puts up decent numbers and can move the puck along quite well.

25. Buffalo [from San Jose]: Raphael Lavoie, RW
The Sabres are in a "win now" mode. Therefore, taking someone such as Lavoie, who, thanks to his size, is pretty close to making the jump, could be looked at as an option. He's been trending down for me... it could change by the time the season ends. But at #25, he could be a "toolsy" type of power winger the Sabres could like.
Comparison: Probably a goal-scoring power forward such as James van Riemsdyk. He can score goals, play physical and bring energy, but issues with his skating knock him down the board.

26. Toronto: Anttoni Honka, D
A European defenseman that's falling down the board but puts up good underlying numbers seems like a great fit for Kyle Dubas's Leafs. He's a right shot pure offensive defenseman. It's worth a shot at this locale.
Comparison: Ty Barrie. An undersized, highly offensive defenseman with some gaps in his defense.

27. Calgary: Thomas Harley, D
The Flames, I think, would look to shore up their blueline even further. They could look no further than Thomas Harley, who's a big, offensive defenseman. There's issues he needs to work on; but he could develop into a top 4/PP guy.
Comparison: Travis Sanheim is my comparison for him. A big, lanky offensive defenseman that works a powerplay. His upside is probably something of a Noah Hanifin, ironically enough.

28. Washington: Pavel Dorofeyev, LW/RW
The Capitals tend to follow by their own drum. Taking a skilled Russian wouldn't be out of the ordinary for them. He isn't huge in stature, definitely needing to fill out; but he has top 6 level skills. He's worthy of a late first.
Comparison: Kyle Connor. An offensive winger with the ability to score and dangle.

29. Nashville: Cole Caufield, RW
If he's still here, they could be through the roof. They have a history of taking falling snipers, they could do the same here. The only reason he drops is solely because of his size -- with the Predators taking the risk. He's been nothing but a goal scoring machine, much like Eeli Tolvanen in his draft year.
Comparison: Alex Debrincat. Like Debrincat, he's woefully undersized, standing at only 5'7". He can really shoot the puck and knows his way around the rink.

30. Vegas: John Beecher, C/LW
In general, their head scout tends to be in favor of players with decent size and some skill. Beecher seems like an optimal choice for them, owning the ability to play just about every role for a winning team. His offense may not be elite; but he's the type of guy you win with, thanks to his ability to win draws, play hard and work both ends of the ice.
Comparison: Mark Jankowski. Good size, two-way smarts, sees the ice well. An all-around type of player.

31. New York Rangers [from Tampa Bay]: Ilya Nikolayev, C
Maybe a surprising, off-the-board type of pick. However, the Rangers love Russian talent. Nikolayev's looked good at tournaments all season long, bringing a dependable, solid, two-way game at all ends of the ice.
Comparison: Honestly haven't gotten a good read on exactly the type of player he is. But he seems like a Mikael Backlund-type of do-everything, talented two-way guy with some skill, smarts, good motor, solid defense and will do anything to win games.

[ Round 2 ]

32. Ottawa: Nathan Legare, RW
Ottawa needs to hit a homerun for their first pick of the draft. Especially after the Colorado fiasco. It could be Nathan Legare, a power forward and goal scorer, who seems like a fine complementary type. They draft a lot from the QMJHL and with success. I could see them return there.
Comparison: Nick Foligno. Like Foligno, he's a hard working, physical, gritty goal scorer with the ability to shoot the puck and complement a scoring line.

33. Philadelphia: Drew Helleson, D
They go for the best right-handed defenseman available. Bonus: it's a guy developing in an American system, which they tend to like.
Comparison: Michael Matheson. Maybe it's the last 4 letters of his name or something. I dunno... but there's a similarity in how they're both multi-dimensional players able to play in various roles, including puck movement and are able to mix it up.

34. St. Louis: Mikko Kokkonen, D
If they land the first overall pick and take Hughes, they could second that by taking the best defender available. Kokkonen has first round hype... but falls because his style of play is more of a "safe", two-way, mobile style.
Comparison: Calvin de Haan. Safer, mobile, smart, two-way defenseman who uses his smarts to put points on the board and defend well.

35. Chicago: Bobby Brink, RW
Best player available. They haven't shied away from smaller players before. They shouldn't do so here. Brink has first round talent... I'm just not sure about his current injury. Maybe it effects his drack stock, knocking him into the second. Who knows. It'd be a huge steal at this spot, though.
Comparison: Sort of a Tyler Johnson-Ryan Callahan type of heart and soul, two-way, offensive mixture.

36. Los Angeles: Patrik Puistola, LW
As previously stated, they scout well overseas. He's a high-upside type of player with a mixture of skill, speed, determination and two-way ability. It's all whether he can meet that demand or not. He's ranked highly on my list.
Comparison: Alex Steen. To me, he seems like a guy that'll work hard in your middle 6 to be an all-around type of forward that can do PK duty, work a powerplay and slide around a top 6/9.

37. Arizona: Marcus Kallionkieli, LW
This would be 2 slots after linemate, Bobby Brink. Some say Kallionkieli might be the better of the two. He at least has the size and skating ability in his corner.
Comparison: Max Pacioretty-lite. He's a speedy goal scorer. I dunno if he'll ever have the highs that Pacioretty had; but there are some similarities.

38. Detroit: Vladislav Kolyachonok, D
He's been developing in Flint, with the Wings surely keeping a close eye on him. They'd probably like to add more offense from their backend. He seems like a good fit. Plus they love drafting out of the OHL.
Comparison: Jake Gardiner. It's hard to get a get hold on the type of player he is due to playing on the noted Flint team with their issues. That said, he seems like an offensive d-man that can chip in various ways, especially on the rush.

39. New Jersey: Kaedan Korczak, D
I could see them taking the best right-shot defenseman at this point. Korczak's a stay-at-home type with some physicality and two-way play in his game. He might be a decent partner for someone like Ty Smith in the future.
Comparison: Jake Muzzin. A two-way, physical, stay-at-home type that can both connect with hits, shoot from the point and do a little bit of everything.

40. New York Rangers: Ville Heinola, D
They go back to Europe, taking Heinola, who's another guy with first round potential. He had a solid WJC showing, so he's likely to move up with teams liking his puck movement ability.
Comparison: Brandon Montour. An offensive defenseman that isn't huge in stature, but can create havoc for opposing teams from the blueline.

41. Ottawa [from Florida]: Ryan Johnson, D
They love their American draft picks as much as their French-Canadian ones. Johnson's a potential first rounder. If he's still on the board, they'd have to go with him, solely to bolster their blueline. They should be going for best player available.
Comparison: Matt Niskanen. I liken him to a Niskanen type. Not a top defender; but a guy that skates well, moves the puck on the rush and can chip in several different ways, including shutting opponents down.

42. Carolina: Antti Tuomisto, D
His size and two-way ability have him rising. The Hurricanes love defense with size and they also love their Finns. It gives them more depth.
Comparison: Esa Lindell. A big, complementary type that you could pair with a skilled player. He can shoot, hit, defend well and move the puck along.

43. Edmonton: Nicholas Robertson, LW
The Oilers focus on drafting out of the OHL a lot. Robertson would be one of the best players left from there on the board. He's small, but very determined and loves to shoot the puck and put up offense. Edmonton really needs to start hitting one of these 2nd rounders, eventually.
Comparison: Jonathan Marchessault. An energetic scorer that likes to put the puck on the net... also owning a smaller frame.

44. Minnesota: Albin Grewe, RW
The Wild have an affinity towards Swedes. Grewe's got talent and physicality on his side. He's the type that'd play in a middle 6 role and drive opponents crazy.
Comparison: Ryan Hartman. He's the type of player that buzzes around the ice, can lay a hit to make a play, scores timely goals and is a hard worker.

45. Vancouver: Nolan Foote, LW
He's a first round candidate. His skating, however, is kind of concerning to me... so I have him falling a bit. At this point, the Canucks would love to snag him, considering his family credentials and his scoring touch. Put him on a powerplay and let Pettersson/Hughes set him up and they could have dynamite.
Comparison: Anders Lee. Big, goal scoring forward with some speed and skating concerns.

46. Montreal: Tobias Bjornfot, D
They've recently been scouting from there a little more. Last year, they took Olofsson. This year, Bjornfot seems like their type of guy. They'll hope he can continue his solid, albeit non-flashy, play.
Comparison: Travis Dermott. A defender that keeps things safe and mobile, defends well and is able to make decent plays.

47. Anaheim: Samuel Poulin, LW
They've been trending towards the QMJHL these past few years. Taking a guy such as Poulin would be similar to their Comtois pick. His skating is imperfect; but he has value to become a middle-6 type of forward.
Comparison: Brandon Saad. A two-way shooter whose skating isn't great; but can play well enough as a depth player.

48. Colorado: Valentin Nussbaumer, C/LW
Improved played in the WJC improves his stock. The Avs could be interested, seeing how they like players that show strong imrpovement in tournaments.
Comparison: Vladislav Namestnikov. He's likely a slippery, two-way game that play a depth role and can slot in on any role, having enough skill to make him dangerous.

49. Dallas: Leevi Aaltonen, LW
The Stars love drafting out of Finland. Aaltonen, alone, would give them a jolt of speed in their lineup. Ideally, he'd slot in as a middle 6 winger that'd cause damage in the neutral zone, using his speed to break up plays and create offense.
Comparison: Yanni Gourde is his upside. An undersized, speedy, smart scorer that's able to slip in and out of danger thanks to his skating.

50. Carolina [from Buffalo]: Matvei Guskov, C/LW
Is he a William Karlsson in the making? Or is he more of a third line, speedy forechecker that can play wing and centre? The 'Canes might be less reluctant to choose a Russian now that Svechnikov is with them. Guskov's got great speed and some skill. It's worth a shot.
Comparison: A speedy, two-way forward with good size and skill. Maybe Roope Hintz-like. His upside is probably that of William Karlsson, if he ever puts it all together.

51. Detroit [from New York Islanders]: Nils Hoglander, LW
He's a pesky, but undersized forward with great speed and skill. He's another guy that's a possible first rounder... dropping only due to his lack of size. He'd probably go well on a team like Detroit, who has a lot of history with Swedes and their development.
Comparison: Anthony Beauvillier. A frenetic ball of energy that can go end-to-end, hit and play in various roles -- offensive and defensive.

52. Montreal [from Columbus]: Henry Thrun, D
The Habs are another team that love drafting out of American collegiate ranks. Granted the Habs haven't had much success with players going to Harvard... I'm sure they can work around it.
Comparison: Jaccob Slavin. Neither overly physical, they both get by on smarts, positioning, talent and vision.

53. Boston: Michal Teply, LW
They'll hope they can replicate their success with David Pastrnak with this fellow Czech forward. He's a big guy with two-way ability and can light the lamp. This should be his draft area.
Comparison: Andre Burakovsky. Two-way guy; not a speedster; but can score goals.

54. Pittsburgh: Artemi Knyazev, D
The Pens have found some gems in the QMJHL before. They repeat this process, taking a look at Knyazev, whose swift skating ability makes him a dangerous offensive threat from the blueline.
Comparison: Obviously they're hoping for Letang 2.0. However, he's sort of a Nick Leddy type. His game is about speed and puck movement... but I can also see plenty of defensive lapses that'll result in goals against. It's high-risk/high-reward.

55. Winnipeg: Ryder Donovan, C/RW
The Jets scouting heavily from the American ranks. And they love big players. Put the two of them together and you get Donovan. He's versatile and has some playmaking skill. Players his size usually end up as 2nd rounders.
Comparison: Kevin Hayes. Another boom/bust type. He's a big center that can make plays.

56. San Jose: Alex Vlasic, D
He doesn't stand out in any one area... except for his size. And that has him dropping down the board. However, teams will still take him in the 2nd. Especially a team with his cousin on it. Marc-Edouard can tutor him and help him along, giving him plenty of developmental time.
Comparison: Brandon Carlo. Huge defenseman with decent mobility...but doesn't standout in any one way.

57. Toronto: Samuel Fagemo, LW/RW
The Leafs love overagers and drafting out of Sweden. Fagemo's fresh off the WJC, which were a disappointment for his team. Nevertheless, the Leafs could bolster their deck with his addition.
Comparison: Ondrej Kase. A mobile, speedy, slick middle 6 playmaking forward.

58. Calgary: Maxim Cajkovic, LW/RW
The Flames have a "thing" for Slovaks. Cajkovic's been falling down the draft board. However, at this slot, they'd probably salivate at the chance to take him.
Comparison: Pontus Aberg. Speedy, offensive winger with consistency issues and some two-way smarts.

59. Washington: Martin Hugo Has, D
They do some keen Euro-scouting. Hugo Has is mobile, two-way, shutdown type of defender. This Czech defenseman would seem like a decent add to their depth.
Comparison: Mattias Ekholm is his upside. If he could ever reach that, it'd be another coup for the Capitals.

60. Nashville: Yegor Spirodonov, C
The Preds don't really fear the Russian factor that much. They'll also be looking to buildup their center depth. Spirodonov seems like the type that could become an excellent 3rd line center and elite penalty killer at the pro level.
Comparison: Artem Anisimov. With good size and savage PK abilities, he's a Russian center with some two-way depth to his game.

61. Vegas: Philip Tomasino, C
Speed, speed and more speed. It's what Vegas has built themselves around. They grab Tomasino, who has actually been coming on quite strong as of late.
Comparison: Nick Schmaltz/Christian Dvorak. Basically, he's a speedy playmaking center with upside. He's been on the rise.

62. Tampa Bay: Daniil Gutik, LW
A talented Russian in the 2nd round to Tampa Bay just goes together way too nicely. Either way, it's what makes sense at this point. Not a great skater; but with Tampa's talent that can be worked around.
Comparison: Maybe a taller, lankier David Perron.

Names just missing the cut that'd likely go in my third round: Nikita Alexandrov; Hunter Jones; Jamieson Rees; Robert Mastrosimone; Yegor Serdyuk; Case McCarthy; Shane Pinto; Jordan Spence; Dustin Wolf; Simon Holmstrom; Billy Constantinou; Nikola Pasic; Graeme Clarke; Antti Saarela.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
It's really hard to see Anttoni Honka going late 1st round.
He was 2nd worst defenceman in Finland's U20 WJC gold medal winning team.

He also had major problems with his playing.
Honka reminds too much of older brother Julius and he's boom or bust type pick.

Honka's draft stock is falling like a rock and there is reason why his liiga team JYP assigned him to Mestis.
Honka isn't better than Kokkonen and Heinola and also there's no way he goes first before those two 2001 born dmans.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
Nice effort on this list ! I am in agreement with the Oilers taking scoring forwards with their first 2 picks in the draft as they are badly needed !!

Les Averman

Mar 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
I like Podkolzin a lot for the Flyers if we don't end up in the top 2. Nice idea with the RHD in round 2, although I don't know too much about him. Love the effort, regardless on this! Great work.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Anaheim is not taking a Dman if Newhook & Suzuki are still available at those spots.
They are in a position where they have to hope to get their future Center replacement for Getzlaf & hope that one of those Centers in the draft is a steal.
They still got 2 LHD prospects in Mahura & Larsson.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I like Boldy for NYR, but I doubt they pass up on Byram. He's exactly what they need on the blueline!!
Boldy and Byram bring on the board would be an interesting situation. I think I go Boldy there too but its close. Rangers drafted a ton of dmen last year. Byram is a rich mans Ty Smith, but the Rangers D needs someone who is ready for first pair Day 1. Not sure that player is in this draft. They have nothing resembling Boldy in their system either.

Eastern Shores

Jun 20, 2018
From a Montreal point of view I'd have to say that a Matthew Robertson, Tobias Bjornfot and Henry Thrun in the first 2 rounds completes the restocking main needs of the organization. That would in my IMHO be an awesome draft for the Habs who would then be knee deep in centers, RHD as well as LHD and even goalies. All that would be missing would be elite goal scoring.

sasha barkov

Nov 4, 2016
Boldy and Byram bring on the board would be an interesting situation. I think I go Boldy there too but its close. Rangers drafted a ton of dmen last year. Byram is a rich mans Ty Smith, but the Rangers D needs someone who is ready for first pair Day 1. Not sure that player is in this draft. They have nothing resembling Boldy in their system either.
I feel Boldy has similar traits to Kreider

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad