Post trading deadline final standing prediction 2019

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Okay, after all of the wheeling and dealing how does everybody think the final standings will look heading into the playoffs?

I'll take a guess:

West:
London
SSM
Guelph
Saginaw
OS
Kitchener
Windsor
Erie
Sarnia
Flint

East:
Ottawa
Niagara
Sudbury
Oshawa
North Bay
Peterborough
Hamilton
Barrie
Mississauga
Kingston

It seems that the 3-6 and 4-5 matchups in the East will be much tougher on the favourites this year for a change. After the top four in the West, there is a massive drop off and I can't see any of those first round series going more than five games before the real heavyweight fun begins.

4 Bobby ORR

Nov 26, 2008
South Detroit
West:
London
Saginaw
Guelph
SSM
OS
Kitchener
Erie
Sarnia
Windsor
Flint

East:
Ottawa
Niagara
Sudbury
Oshawa
Peterborough
North Bay
Hamilton
Mississauga
Barrie
Kingston

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
East:

1. Ottawa
2. Niagara
3. Oshawa
4. Sudbury
5. Peterborough
6. North Bay
7. Hamilton
8. Mississauga
9. Barrie
10. Kingston

No change from the standings right now. Sudbury could possibly catch Oshawa for 3rd but otherwise I doubt much changes. Ottawa and Niagara the clear favorites right now.

West:

1. London
2. Saginaw
3. SSM
4. Guelph
5. Kitchener
6. Owen Sound
7. Sarnia
8. Erie
9. Windsor
10. Flint

The west will likely be more interesting. London is probably the favorite and will hold the top spot but the battle for the west division between SSM/Saginaw will be close. Similarly. Guelph may catch the west runner-up for the 3rd seed. Spots 5-9 are pretty much all in flux with all of these teams selling. Owen Sound has a decent cushion but they did not look very good in Erie this past weekend.

Last edited:

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
1- OTT
2- NIA
3- OSH
4- SBY
5- PBO
6- NB
7- HAM
8- MISS
9- BAR
10- KGN

1- LDN
2- SAG
3- GUE
4- SSM
5- KIT
6- SAR
7- OS
8- WSR
9- ER
10- FLNT

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I'll only tackle the west:

London
Soo
Guelph
Saginaw
Windsor
Sarnia
Owen Sound
Erie
Kitchener
Flint

Based on today's standing, I think Guelph will pass Saginaw but there won't be much separation. Of the bottom six, I see Erie and Flint picking it up a bit. Not enough for Flint to get out of the basement but they'll be at least respectable. Owen Sound will fall a couple slots but otherwise, the rest may produce at the same pace.

5th to 9th will be a tight group. Maybe within 10 points of each other. I think Erie gets into the playoffs at the expense of the Rangers.

Last edited:

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Takeaway from this thread: People really hate the Greyhounds.

All but 2 people predict a big drop in their performance despite an 8-2 record in their last 10 and a rather easy schedule with a lot of East teams and home games.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
East:
Ottawa
Niagara
Sudbury
Oshawa
North Bay
Peterborough
Hamilton
Barrie
Mississauga
Kingston

West:
London
Saginaw
Sault
Guelph
Sarnia
Windsor
Kitchener
Owen Sound
Erie
Flint

Marj44

Jun 17, 2015
East:
Ottawa
Sudbury
Niagara
Oshawa
Peterborough
North Bay
Hamilton
Barrie
Mississauga
Kingston

West:
London
Saginaw
Guelph
Sault Ste Marie
Sarnia
Kitchener
Owen Sound
Windsor
Erie
Flint

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009

All but 2 people predict a big drop in their performance despite an 8-2 record in their last 10 and a rather easy schedule with a lot of East teams and home games.

I'm not sold on the guys that Saginaw brought in from Missy. Truth be told, I'd have thought that they'd have brought in a player or two that would be next to guaranteed to be back next year.

They are to contend next year too. Should have made their moves with that in mind.

I see the Soo winning the division.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Niagara
Ottawa
Sudbury
Oshawa
Battalion
Petes
Hamilton
Barrie
Missy
Kingston

Guelph
London
Soo
Saginaw
Attack
Windsor
Sarnia
Kitchener
Erie
Flint

Reactions: LDN

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Niagara
Ottawa
Sudbury
Oshawa
Battalion
Petes
Hamilton
Barrie
Missy
Kingston

Guelph
London
Soo
Saginaw
Attack
Windsor
Sarnia
Kitchener
Erie
Flint

London would be in third. Division winners get the top 2 seeds.

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018

I hated their deadline. If they decide to buy? I get it, Frost/Villalta/Sambrook/Howdeshell/Hollowell in their last year. If they decide to sell? I get it, went for it last year, don't have a ton of picks left, can't afford to lose Frost for nothing. But to stand pat and the only trades you make are to add Jaden Peca and Drew Wawrow?? That blew my mind. They don't have the depth to keep up with the London/Guelph's of the world and everyone expected Villalta to take a huge step forward this year and be one of the best goalies in the whole OHL but to this point he hasn't (.901 save % which is 13th in a 20 team league). It's easy to see why someone might think Soo might not win their division

Reactions: Chico Maki

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I hated their deadline. If they decide to buy? I get it, Frost/Villalta/Sambrook/Howdeshell/Hollowell in their last year. If they decide to sell? I get it, went for it last year, don't have a ton of picks left, can't afford to lose Frost for nothing. But to stand pat and the only trades you make are to add Jaden Peca and Drew Wawrow?? That blew my mind. They don't have the depth to keep up with the London/Guelph's of the world and everyone expected Villalta to take a huge step forward this year and be one of the best goalies in the whole OHL but to this point he hasn't (.901 save % which is 13th in a 20 team league). It's easy to see why someone might think Soo might not win their division

This is a regular season finish prediction. If we were talking playoffs, team depth would play a bigger factor when you have to go up against the deeper teams.

The Soo only plays a half dozen or so games vs the elite in the league to finish out the season. And one of those, on the last weekend of the regular season is against, as usual, London. As is the annual tradition, on the last weekend of the season, London plays a road game on the road in the Soo. London never sends their quality players on that road trip. Dale almost never makes the trip either. That'll be a gimme game for the Soo.

I don't see them dropping below Saginaw.

Reactions: LDN

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014

That may all be true, but the Hounds have a fairly significant lead on Guelph and they aren't really easing up on the gas pedal.

I just wouldn't bet on a hot team with an easy schedule being overtaken. If we're talking about the playoffs then maybe things would be different.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Ottawa
Niagara
Oshawa
Sudbury
North Bay
Peterborough
Hamilton
Mississauga
Barrie
Kingston

London
Sault Ste. Marie
Saginaw
Guelph
Sarnia
Owen Sound
Windsor
Kitchener
Erie
Flint

What're your thoughts on SAG over GUE? As EvenSteven said, I don't fully trust Tippett/McLeod to get SAG over the top. 2 good players but GUE was better to start with in my opinion and adding Suzuki/Durzi/Entwistle/Phillips/Gordeev is a crazy deadline

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
It's not been exactly the strongest competition for the Soo over the last 11 though and Guelph and Saginaw loaded up quite a bit more. I think Saginaw catches them and Guelph stands a slight chance too. If Saginaw and the Soo met in the playoffs I'd put my money on Villalta and the Greyhounds playoff experience getting the job done although the Spirit might be out for vengeance after last year. Over those last 11 the Greyhounds have losses to Barrie, Saginaw and Flint. OT wins against London, Missy and Sarnia. Regulation wins against Missy, Sarnia, Windsor, Sudbury (without UPL), and Hamilton and other than the 5-1 win against Hamilton, most were close final scores. I know you guys pride yourself on finding kids late in the draft but you're really going to be putting pressure on your scouts to unearth kids because the draft cupboard isn't loaded and if you finish 3rd or 4th you're going to have a really tough road through the playoffs without any significant additions.

Reactions: Fischhaber

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
What're your thoughts on SAG over GUE? As EvenSteven said, I don't fully trust Tippett/McLeod to get SAG over the top. 2 good players but GUE was better to start with in my opinion and adding Suzuki/Durzi/Entwistle/Phillips/Gordeev is a crazy deadline

I really like the way that Saginaw has been playing under Chris Lazary. There has been a lot more puck pressure and Prosvetov has been excellent recently.

I still have questions about Guelph's play in their own end. I've only seen them once since the deadline, but they were awfully prone to turnovers in the neutral zone and odd man rushes. I'm also not convinced that Anthony Popovich is the man to lead them to the promised land.

That being said, Guelph's forward is amazing and they are bound to get better. That pick was a real tossup for me, I get both sides.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I like the Soo's offence and OA group. I think they have the best goalie in the conference. They have a soft enough schedule to win their division.

I like Guelph's defense. Samarukov, Durzi and Phillips? Hard pressed to find a team with three that good. Lalonde is a good 4th. When OA Hanley gets back, they'll be damn solid on the blueline. Probably the best in the conference. The team's size and physicality is top notch. They can score too. Popovich is ok but only ok.

Saginaw is ok. I haven't seen them much so it's tough to tell. I question the quality of their vets. I still think they are a year out and should have done their buying with that in mind. Maybe spend their assets on a Dellandrea or Damiani who'd be there next year. Then added a very good 99 who'd be a lock as an OA.

London is solid all around. They have good defensive depth. Their youth is very good. Goaltending is above average but I believe it'll be tough to decide who starts. Likely Raaymakers just based on age but a high end backup on Kooy. Tough all around too and can score from multiple lines. They have good balance across all ages as far as talent goes. Very good fourth line.

These four team breeze through the first round. I find it hard to believe any could be taken to six games but you never know.

Once the second round rolls around, and if they finish as I predicted, (London, Soo, Guelph, Saginaw), I expect a London / Guelph conference final.

That'll be a hell of a series. Major talent among both teams. Lots of scoring. Lots of toughness. Good D on both sides. Goaltending a saw off.

This'll be a great series to watch. It may come down to home ice advantage, the older Storm vs the younger Knights, and how long the previous series' were.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chico Maki

LR8

Mar 8, 2018
London
Sault
Guelph
Sag (although Flint games may keep 3rd spot for them)
bottom half is wide open but
OS
Windsor
Kitch
Erie

Ottawa
Nia
Oshawa
Sud
Petes
North Bay
Hamilton
Missy

Rubbers29

Jan 9, 2012
Niagara
Ottawa
Sudbury
Oshawa
Battalion
Petes
Hamilton
Barrie
Missy
Kingston

Guelph
London
Soo
Saginaw
Attack
Windsor
Sarnia
Kitchener
Erie
Flint
Although possible, Guelph passing London would require Guelph to win out and London to lose 1/3 of their remaining games in regulation. Guelph may be the better team post deadline and may beat London in the playoffs, but they will be hard pressed to catch and pass them in the regular season. I think if anyone is going to pass them it would be the Soo.

Reactions: TheCoach

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Although possible, Guelph passing London would require Guelph to win out and London to lose 1/3 of their remaining games in regulation. Guelph may be the better team post deadline and may beat London in the playoffs, but they will be hard pressed to catch and pass them in the regular season. I think if anyone is going to pass them it would be the Soo.
Rubber you are probably correct. Knights are the most solid team we saw at the Aud from the west and maybe the league. As far as the Storm goes we wait and see how they gel I guess.

WolvesFanSudbury

Oct 8, 2016
East
1 Ottawa
2 Niagara
3 Sudbury
4 Oshawa
5 Peterborough
6 North Bay
7 Hamilton
8 Barrie
9 Missisauga