Rumor: Post-season Rumour Talk Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
Anyone that wants Alzner is a "perfect fit" for him. I can't see why anyone would want to, though. We're not in cap trouble, no point in giving up any assets to move him just yet unless we have to.
If MB can unload Alzner, I'd be shocked. There's a better chance of him being our number 7 guy on our team than that.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
They don't trust Lindgren. We need an NHL caliber Backup not an other Niemi

Curtis McElhinney Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

upload_2019-6-18_9-33-30.jpeg

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
A fortune teller could say this:

After a late season injury , Curtis McElhinney leads the Montreal Canadiens into a Stanley Cup finals....

Do they win the Cup?

Pay 10$ more please to find out ....

JD Lagrange

Jun 13, 2019
habsterix.com
Habs have 3 needs this summer and they are, in order:
  1. Top-4 LD (preferably with some offensive upside for the PP)
  2. Scoring forward (preferably right-handed)
  3. Backup goalie
Jake Gardiner isn't it for LD. The competition will be all out for him and he's not worth what someone will pay him out of desperation. The best way to fill that position is through trade.

Yes, Matt Duchene would be great, although not right-handed. Just his faceoffs' abilities would go a long way. Danault and Thompson could take the defensive faceoffs, while Duchene and Danault could take the ones in the offensive zone. Panarin (if only he wanted to play in MTL) would be the ideal candidate though.

If push comes to shove, Lindgren might just be ready to step into that spot but what if Price got hurt?...

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Not even close...Alzner is not NHL material anymore. It's dead weight that will cost 11.125M.....a 2nd round pick isn't enough for an owner to throw that amount in the garbage.

If the Habs retain 50% and attach a 2nd, then I’m sure some teams will be interested.

As bad as he is, at $2.3m, he’d be okay as a 7th defender - to call up from the AHL (for a team with ample cap space).

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
If the Habs retain 50% and attach a 2nd, then I’m sure some teams will be interested.

As bad as he is, at $2.3m, he’d be okay as a 7th defender - to call up from the AHL (for a team with ample cap space).

We got Joel Armia + 4th + 7th for one year at 2.3M for Mason.....a 2nd for 3 years at 2.3M is not enough.

EquabaleAce

Nov 8, 2003
Calgary
Are the Habs really in position to pay their backup 3.4M for the next two seasons?

Maybe if Florida retains salary (which I doubt), but I'd probably roll with Lindgren or look elsewhere.

Backup goalie is an issue but I don't think Reimer fits capwise.
Maybe flip Alzner to them so it’s net zero for the panthers. Although I think they may want to clear salary instead of reallocating it, but Alzner at 3.5 is much better than paying your 3rd goalie 3.5

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
Keep Kreider and Carey Price apart, period.

Larry Brooks of the NY Post believes the Rangers could also elect to trade Chris Kreider, who is entering the final year of his contract. Brooks notes that Kreider is likely to command at least $6.5 million on his next deal and the Rangers could instead elect to trade him for a first-round pick at this week's draft.

Would Rangers GM Gorton want the Habs #1 pick (15th overall)?

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Larry Brooks of the NY Post believes the Rangers could also elect to trade Chris Kreider, who is entering the final year of his contract. Brooks notes that Kreider is likely to command at least $6.5 million on his next deal and the Rangers could instead elect to trade him for a first-round pick at this week's draft.

I don't want Kreider for the 15th overall.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal

Trading a 1st wouldn't be bad value, but I don't want the Habs to do it. We're not a Kreider away from winning the Cup. The first will be more valuable in the long run.

Reactions: Tim Wallach

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
For a contender looking to shed salary, not from a team trying to hit the cap floor.

Only problem is....i don't think there's one team that need cap to reach the floor at this point.
As i've been trying to say many times......it's not cap space you are only trading, it's actual money.

It's not like trading a Savard or Clarkson that the insurance will pay their money because they are injured...then it's only cap space. In Alzner's case it's Millions of dollars that the owner has to pay for a player that won't help them. Even if he can be a 7th D (which i doubt cause he couldn't even be that on probably the worst Left D line-up in the NHL)

I don't think a 2nd round pick is enough to entice an owner to give away those hard earn dollars.....

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
How stupid if true.

Lindgren has an NHL contract, McNiven isn't a garbage prospect and Primeau is our best prospect at the position since a certain someone in 2005.

It only makes sense if they have given up on Lindgren internally.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
If MB can unload Alzner, I'd be shocked. There's a better chance of him being our number 7 guy on our team than that.

This also seems like an exceptionally bad off-season to try to clear cap space, let alone dead cap space. On top of rumours that the cap may not actually rise all the way to 83 mil, the following teams are probably trying to clear cap space ATM:

Definitely:
Vegas, San Jose, Toronto, Calgary, Tampa

Probably:
Pittsburgh, Edmonton, Washington, Boston

That's almost a 3rd of the league. And I'm not sure they're the only teams in that category after free agency. Plus, I don't think there are that many teams with flexibility to take on dead cap space.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
How stupid if true.

Lindgren has an NHL contract, McNiven isn't a garbage prospect and Primeau is our best prospect at the position since a certain someone in 2005.

Lindgren doesn't look like an NHL goaltender (my bet is: he's done here).
McNiven needs at least another year in the AHL.
Primeau should play a lot and at the correct level.

1) We need a guy that can be #1 if Price goes down, ie a guy in the top 45 Gs in the league right now.
2) We need to create space for Primeau to play/develop about 2 years.

Reactions: Vachon23

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
This also seems like an exceptionally bad off-season to try to clear cap space, let alone dead cap space. On top of rumours that the cap may not actually rise all the way to 83 mil, the following teams are probably trying to clear cap space ATM:

Definitely:
Vegas, San Jose, Toronto, Calgary, Tampa

Probably:
Pittsburgh, Edmonton, Washington, Boston

That's almost a 3rd of the league. And I'm not sure they're the only teams in that category after free agency. Plus, I don't think there are that many teams with flexibility to take on dead cap space.

Ottawa will be collecting assets for salary, we might a loose a 2nd rounder to clear Alzner.

I'm ok with that, as long as we get a UFA back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad