GDT: post-season pre-postseason preseason hockey is here

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Reimer had 3 shots in his first 10 minutes out there. You can look pretty steady when the team in front of you looks like a team.

im not one to defend Mrazek but those three goals on Mrazek where on the team in front if him.

WTF do we not play a 3 and 1 on the pk against Ovi? No one is to leave his flipping side. If someone else gets tired chasing the puck, switch out with the dude babysitting Ovi.

Johniac

Jul 18, 2011
North Carolina
Defense looked sloppy and the whole team seemed to be trying not to get hurt, which I understand but hope goes out the window next game. I mean Slavin let Wilson just stroll past him and casually flick a scoring pass to Ovi -- that should not happen.

Mike called it well, despite expected jitters. He (nor anyone really?) does not have that infectious enthusiasm for goals and certain plays that John can uniquely bring. We'll see what happens I guess.

Side note: I decided not to up my package for massive dollars on DirecTV to get NBCSN or FSS. I added Hulu as a test drive and was pretty impressed for half the price. I have never streamed anything before and it was exhilarating and may lead to "cutting the cord!"

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
A few thoughts:

-Mrazek looked jittery....like maybe he can stop drinking espresso and run 10 miles a day to calm his nerves? b/c it usually takes him a bit to settle in.
-Reimer was pretty darn good. I'd give him the start. Sorry raz...
-The Trocheck and Geekie lines looked good.
-The Staal and Aho lines not as much.
-I like Nino or Foegele with Aho. They need someone physical and willing to get dirty/hound pucks
-Trocheck looked better than before the break. Maybe put Svech with him.....would give us really good depth and make it hard to match up.
-Vatanen was solid. I remember him being faster than he was yesterday.
-The team didn't look fast....maybe they were playing slow to reduce mistakes?
-The ice will be rough with so many teams playing on it. Lots of bouncing pucks. That will be an advantage to skill teams who play earlier in the day.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Canes did well on faceoffs (66% total):
Staal was 9/9 (100%)
Aho was 8/12 (67%)
Trocheck was 9/18 (50%)
Geekie was 6/8 (75%)

NYR was poor on faceoffs (38% total):
Zibanejad was 5/16 (31%)
Strome was 3/12 (25%)
Chytil was 7/15 (47%)
Howden was 6/7 (86%)

Possession-wise it would appear that Aho/Staal should have a good edge while Geekie vs Howden and Trocheck vs Chytil match up well.

Least Jaccob Slavin-like goal against I can remember seeing. 99 out of 100 times Slavin is stick checking the puck to diffuse a rush. But he tries to body up this time... on Tom Wilson?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad