Proposal: Post Salary Cap Rule Changes the NHL Should Consider

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
Ever since the Salary Cap was implemented, it has dramatically changed the landscape of how a team is built – however most (if not all) of the rule changes since have been solely geared towards the on-ice product (example: increasing scoring).

What rule changes do you think the League should be looking at OUTSIDE of the on-ice stuff? For example – I think they need to:

• Increase the number of contracts from 50 to 60. I can't remember if the limit came in with the Salary Cap, or was there before hand … but with the increased focus on stockpiling a pipeline, I think this needs to go up. It works for everyone though, as the Player Union would be happy, and the teams can better stockpile assets.
  • Add an 'Exceptional Player Status' to the AHL. With more and more kids playing earlier, there needs to be an update to the transfer agreement between the AHL & CHL. Keep the age at 20, but there should be an 'exceptional Player' status that teams can use on a limited basis where they bring in a kid who is under 20 to the farm team at a financial cost (compensation to the junior team). It would probably be very limited, like only 1 or 2 possible per year – but more and more teams are facing the challenge of potentially stalling a kid's development because of this rule and no one ends up winning. Teams will keep a kid who is not quite ready in the NHL, so the junior team isn't getting him anyways … but the kid's development then suffers because he may not be physically mature enough for the big leagues.

What do you think needs to change to better help teams manage in the cap era?

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
I'd be fine with those changes. I thin they should make points for the teams not in the playoffs after the deadline decide who gets #1 draft pick. Also maybe using a handicap at that time giving the team in last place an additional 15 points, second last, 14, third last 13 etc...

Essentially stop teams from tanking

Shimso

Oct 9, 2011
Both rules sound good to me. For the draft, (this'll probably never happen) I'd like to see either:
-draft order decided by the average (possibly a weighted average) of your record over the last 3 years in order to help the truly bad teams and avoid giving a top pick to a good team that had a freak injury
-or draft order decided by in order of elimination from the playoffs, so this way once you're eliminated you can play your prospects without worrying they might add too many wins
-or set the draft order based on standings at the trade deadline

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
The exceptional status would intervene with the agreement the NHL has with the CHL. If after players get drafted, they go to the AHL, the CHL would lose a ton of talent.

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
The exceptional status would intervene with the agreement the NHL has with the CHL. If after players get drafted, they go to the AHL, the CHL would lose a ton of talent.

Which is why it would have to be limited (example 1 player per team per year), and compensation would have to go to the CAL team.

Who wins currently when a kid Marner may have to go back if he doesn't put on enough weight? Not the player, nor the NHL Team.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
None of these posts are really salary cap related... so mine wont be either.

Have the bottom 4 (or 8 if you prefer) teams in the standings play a relegation style playoffs, with the winner getting the top pick in the draft, finals loser getting the second pick and so on.

Give fans at the bottom some games to get excited for and give a little bump in revenue for those teams as well which I'm sure would make the owners happy.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Have the bottom 4 (or 8 if you prefer) teams in the standings play a relegation style playoffs, with the winner getting the top pick in the draft, finals loser getting the second pick and so on.

Give fans at the bottom some games to get excited for and give a little bump in revenue for those teams as well which I'm sure would make the owners happy.

Heard this type of idea before, makes no sense to me.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Which is why it would have to be limited (example 1 player per team per year), and compensation would have to go to the CAL team.

Who wins currently when a kid Marner may have to go back if he doesn't put on enough weight? Not the player, nor the NHL Team.

What kind of compensation can you give to a CHL team?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

how is instituting a luxury tax not salary cap related?

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Heard this type of idea before, makes no sense to me.

I agree it's not perfect but it's a lot better than teams obviously tanking down the stretch. With player after player having 'season ending' injuries and quite frankly roster moves like the ones the Leafs did today, designed to make themselves worse, are embarrassing to the game.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I agree it's not perfect but it's a lot better than teams obviously tanking down the stretch. With player after player having 'season ending' injuries and quite frankly roster moves like the ones the Leafs did today, designed to make themselves worse, are embarrassing to the game.

So you want players to perform to their highest capabilities for a chance at a better pick which = a higher chance that the pick takes one of their jobs? You'd see more pathetic performances than you're seeing now. The players don't tank, management does. All the players playing right now are at least trying their best where in the other scenario they wouldn't be trying at all.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
If you want to stop teams planning around the draft, eliminate the draft. It's that simple.

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
Haha, sorry I guess I shouldn't have said none, yours was the only one, including the OP.

My point was not to change the salary cap, but that the salary cap has impacted HOW teams are built, and older rules like the CHL transfer agreement or max contracts don't seem to get reviewed in light of the changes.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I have no problem protecting the CHL teams, raise draft age to 19 then if it is not liked.

50 player limit is fine, been around forever, and there is a 90 player reserve limit anyway that protects unsigned players.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
If a pro is sent to the minors , none of their cap should be a hit on the big club.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
So you want players to perform to their highest capabilities for a chance at a better pick which = a higher chance that the pick takes one of their jobs? You'd see more pathetic performances than you're seeing now. The players don't tank, management does. All the players playing right now are at least trying their best where in the other scenario they wouldn't be trying at all.
Players want to win, you said yourself that the players don't tank and you're right.

They aren't going to stop trying because they fear that a draft pick moving up 3 spots is gonna cost them their jobs.

Anyway agree to disagree, I can certainly understand people's opposition to the idea.

I'd also love to see a Champions league type of series between the NHL champs and KHL champs. There's no reason for the NHL to fear the KHL. Embrace it and use it to grow the game. But that's a long term goal, not something that really makes sense right now.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
They can still get paid with no cap hit. It would actually benefit the NHLPA because teams could spend more.

I think it would end up with more escrow paid by the players.
It only benefits rich teams and circumvents the purpose of a cap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->