Post Rule Changes that you are in favour of or have just thought up of in here!

• Thread starter Zetterberg4Captain*
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zetterberg4Captain*

Some of the rule proposals im in favour of are:
- Bigger Nets
- Smaller Goal Equpment
- Touch Off-sides
- No Touch Icing
- 4 on 4
- Shootout
- Move the nets back

Thats all I can think of right now.

Here are some propsed rule changes Im not in favour of:
- Goalies not being allowed to handle the puck
- Shorter Regular Seasons
- More Playoff teams

Thats all I can think of right now.

Also i think it would be good if the NHL went back to the play-off format where the best team played the 16th best team and the 2nd place team played the 15th placed team Etc. because some teams have enough points to make the top 8 in one conference but not in the other.

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
AG said:
Also i think it would be good if the NHL went back to the play-off format where the best team played the 16th best team and the 2nd place team played the 15th placed team Etc. because some teams have enough points to make the top 8 in one conference but not in the other.
It's probably the right thing to do but the NHL won't go for it - mostly because it keeps more teams in the hunt for a spot for a longer period of time.

alecfromtherock

Feb 2, 2004
1) The net size will not change
3) 4 on 4 is not hockey, increase rink size to compensate
4) No touch icing is a must
5) 5 min sudden death then a SO if necessary

A) Forced offside nullification: When a player that has a puck is checked or pushed over the blue line when a teammate has already crossed, no offside should be called.

B) Goalies being allowed to handle the puck should do so at their own risk, can be checked without a plenty being called to opposing player. Instigator rule would work against goalie if his teammate joins in.

mackdogs*

3 points for a win, and of course 0 for a loss. There needs to be more incentive to WIN and less incentive to NOT LOSE or just make it to overtime.

4 on 4 overtime for 5 minutes followed by 3 on 3 for 5 minute periods until there is a winner (this is why I didn't include points for a tie above).

And the #1 rule change although it is technically not a change - calls the rules as they are written. Specifically when it comes to clutching and grabbing.

nyr7andcounting

Feb 24, 2004
I like-
- Don't award points for simply making it to overtime, you either win, lose or tie. Shouldn't get a point for almost winning, coming close, but losing.
- Increasing the ice surface. I would love to see it to some extent... if arenas could handle it, it's a must.
- Touch up offsides. There was no reason to take it out, and there's no reason not to put it back in.
- Shorter regular season. 70-75 games. There is no need for so many games, it tires out players and to some extent it hurts the product on the ice. Also, fewer regular season games would mean there would be that much more importance to each game. Football has the best regular season in sports, because with only 16 games they all matter. Might hurt revenues in the short term with fewer games, but would help in the long term by making the game better and over time that increases revenues.
- Goalies are fair game outside the crease when they are in front of the goal line. If a goalie wants to skate out to the circles to clear a loose puck and prevent a scoring opportunity, fine, but he should atleast be fair game.

Dont like-
- shootout. Would hate for a whole game to come down to just one aspect of the sport, breakaway moves. No other major league sport has it. Only sport with something similar is college football, and that is stupid as well.

- touch up icing. When a team clearns the puck all the way down you should have to earn the right to have the faceoff all the way back in their zone... that's done now by the defeseman having to win a race to the puck or atleast skate back and get it. If your going to make icing automatic than faceoffs after an icing should be outside the other teams zone.

Hockeyfan_86

Nov 26, 2003
- Touch Off-sides
- No Touch Icing

I don't want shootouts in the games, but I don't think I'd die if they did add them. Touch offsides for me is a big one. Reinstating that rule would help the flow of the game...I know it helps keep my NHL 2005 games flowing.

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
Alternative offsides rule

I don't think I'd be in favor of this rule, but I was just curious what people thought of it...

You still cannot make a 2-line pass or make a pass behind the blueline to someone who is already in the attacking zone.....the major difference with this offsides rule is you may cross the blueline with the puck whether or not someone on the same team is in the attacking zone.

Scenario #1: Lets say if its a 2-on-1 and the attacker without the puck is one step ahead over the blueline of the attacker with the puck who is still behind the blueline.....with the old offsides rule it would have been whistled dead if the attacker with the puck crossed over the blueline, but with this new offsides rule the play may continue as long as the attacker with the puck does not make a pass over the blueline to the attacker without the puck, he must first carry it over the blueline before he can make any passes in the offensive zone.

Scenario #2: Lets say if its a powerplay and the team on the PK just barely clears the puck over their blueline or an attacker makes an errant pass and it hopped over the blade and over the blueline or something...well with this offsides rule it wouldn't matter because the player who's team is on the powerplay can just bring it back in if he carries it over the blueline...again the only thing he still cannot do is pass it to anyone in the attacking zone if hes still behind the blueline, which if he did, would still be considered "intentional offsides" and have the faceoff all the way back in the defensive zone of the team who is on the powerplay.

Foreseeable problems: Perhaps the attacking team takes a slapshot right next to the blueline and another attacker who is already in the offensive zone deflects it in and scores or something, if it was too close to tell if he crossed the blueline you'd probably have to go to video (kinda like the old crease rule) to see if he was on, in front of or behind the blueline before he slapped it to count the goal, which would waste a lot of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad