Blue Jays Discussion: Post-post-Deadline Edition: The pitchers on the farm are impressing (Zeuch No-hitter/Pearson to AAA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Looking at our current 40 man I’m not sure I can call who won’t be protected. I’m assuming Davis in the outfield won’t be on it. Potentially Alford either. Most likely Smoak is gone. Devon Travis I’m sure is done. Recently picked up Beau Taylor at catcher won’t be retained. (I’m sure he’s here to help Buffalo this year at best). Aside from Buchholz and Law it’s hard to tell on the pitching side. A bunch of tweener guys like Ramirez, Murphy, Perez etc. But who knows how the front office views the pitchers we have. Lots of filler on the pitching side that I’m not certain they plan to keep past this year

There is potential to clear a fair amount 40 man spots though

Just by glancing on the potential 40 man for next I don't think there will be much of a crunch. The 25 man roster there will be a crunch with position players.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Hiraldo and Leonardo Jimenez called up to Lansing from Bluefield. Probably a good sign that they want them playing full season ball in Lansing next year to start. Kind of tough to see Martinez make that same jump from the GCL though which would have been fun. Extended spring training is boring as a fan :laugh:

Reactions: Discoverer

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
That's a really good deal for Shatkins, I'm impressed.

Taylor has a 2.84 ERA in four Minor League seasons and is a product of UBC. He has 204 Ks in 174 innings.

Gonzalez has a 2.72 ERA in the Minors and has 187 Ks in 158 innings.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Actually got interesting pieces.

Yeah, particularly Gonzalez. His numbers are crazy this year. Arguably the best pitcher in short-season A ball as a teenager is pretty damn impressive. He's a year older than Kloffenstein, but he's also been quite a bit better this year. I could see him fitting into the Kendall Williams "next tier" or high-ceiling prospects in the system.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Yeah, particularly Gonzalez. His numbers are crazy this year. Arguably the best pitcher in short-season A ball as a teenager is pretty damn impressive. He's a year older than Kloffenstein, but he's also been quite a bit better this year. I could see him fitting into the Kendall Williams "next tier" or high-ceiling prospects in the system.
Yep, looks like we got a young upside arm and a relief pitcher with decent stuff who should be ready soon (needs to be added to the 40 man this winter)

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Not such a great start from Kay today in Buffalo, yikes. At least it won't completely destroy his ERA as most of the runs were unearned. As if that matters any.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Does anyone have a scouting report on the 2 guys we acquired? Because statistically Gonzalez has been pretty similar if not better than Kloffenstein this year at the same level. Similar innings, more K's, less walks. Same WHIP, slightly higher ERA, and 2 more HR. He's almost a year older and has more experiance whereas this is Kloff's first real pro season but still.

Sidenote: The rule 5 draft is stupid for IFAs. They should get an extra year, they're signing at 16, if they're not on the 40 by 20 they're eligible. IIRC college guys get 1 less year because they're 3 years older that HS guys. IFA guys who are 2 years younger should get 5 years. Most of them are only in high A by the time they need protecting. We'll have to protect Moreno, and Gonzalez this time next year which feels dumb to me. You end up wasting multiple option years and 40 man spots to protect high A/AA guys because you have to.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Thing about Gonzalez is he doesn’t have a projectable build like Kloff so unless the reports on his pitches are good, he could probably just be a guy that dominates low level ball by commanding his pitches.

With Taylor, there’s really solid big league potential even if he’s just a reliever.

Last edited:

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Not such a great start from Kay today in Buffalo, yikes. At least it won't completely destroy his ERA as most of the runs were unearned. As if that matters any.
Yennsy on the other hand.
Finishing strong. 7ip, 1er, 3bb+h, 8k’s.

hoc123

Feb 23, 2014
Reactions: phillipmike

kb

Aug 28, 2009
...and apologists for management were saying he was old and washed up.

What was the return for him again? Oh yeah. Junk.
He's no better than what the Jays have. Some people just like to complain I guess.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
...and apologists for management were saying he was old and washed up.

What was the return for him again? Oh yeah. Junk.

No, people were saying he is on the decline. Better to see what the younger players are like than give Pillar opportunities.

The return does seem like junk but Pillar should have been traded much sooner.

Reactions: kb
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->