Blue Jays Discussion: Post-post-Deadline Edition: The pitchers on the farm are impressing (Zeuch No-hitter/Pearson to AAA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Pearson likely starts in Buffalo next season, but I wonder if he has a good spring, does he start with the big club?
It’s a valid question.
I think the answer has less to do with talent and ability to get hitters out very well, and more with how his arm would hold up.
And maybe service time?
He’s going to top 100ip this year, so, what’s reasonable for next year and the years ahead to get him up to the ~200ip plateau?
I’d guess there’ll be a balancing act between increased workload and service time to maximize the payoff.
With some creative planning like we saw this year with him.
That golden arm makes him the most important prospect not yet on the team in terms of future winning.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Pearson likely starts in Buffalo next season, but I wonder if he has a good spring, does he start with the big club?

Given he’s right around 100 innings so far this season and that’s likely his limit given the lack of pro innings prior he’s likely on a 150ish innings limit next year. So I would say no. I’m curious how they’re going to handle that so he’s not capped at the end of the year but whatever they do it’d likely be in Buffalo.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Given he’s right around 100 innings so far this season and that’s likely his limit given the lack of pro innings prior he’s likely on a 150ish innings limit next year. So I would say no. I’m curious how they’re going to handle that so he’s not capped at the end of the year but whatever they do it’d likely be in Buffalo.

Considering their willingness to use the opener, they could alternate "opener" outings and traditional starts by using the same 2-5-2-5 schedule he was on this year for the first month. I wouldn't mind doing that for a couple weeks in Buffalo to limit his innings while also getting the extra year of control, but there's no reason they can't use that strategy in the majors.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I'm wondering now if teams will start "grooming" arms in their system to be openers.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
The thing with pitchers is that you want to use their bullets while you can. As soon as Pearson is ready, I imagine he'll be up. If that means treating him like Paddack on San Diego and skipping a start here and there while managing his pitch count, then they'll do that. Pitchers are so unpredictable health-wise, especially guys that throw as hard as Pearson. You might gain an extra year of control in the process of keeping him down an extra six months, but then lose him to TJ anyway. Might as well just bring him up when he's ready.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
IMO it'd be pretty dumb to lose the extra year of control on Pearson to have him on the opening day roster when his innings will need to be limited next year around 150 IP and he won't go more than 5 innings early on in the year likely anyway. Keep him in Buffalo for about 6 weeks slowly building up his pitch count then unleash him on the bigs in late May.

Reactions: canucksfan

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
At the last C's game I went to for the season I picked up this year's pack of team baseball cards as my souvenir for the season. I note this because of 2 things:

1) each card has a trivia item on the back relating to the player depicted. The back of Brett Wright's card mentions that he caught Casey Mize in college, just like was mentioned on every single C's broadcast. :laugh:

2) McGregory Contreras' name isn't "McGregory Contreras". It's "MC Gregory Contreras", his first name is "MC" full caps. He should walk up to the rave airhorn noise.

Reactions: lindgren

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Listening to jays talk today on the radio Wilner was on. He brought up what I think was a good point. 40 man roster spots are very valuable in the off season and adding players to it now may not be a good idea. He said only players currently on the 40 man roster will be brought up when rosters expand. That he doesn’t think they will add anyone this year.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Listening to jays talk today on the radio Wilner was on. He brought up what I think was a good point. 40 man roster spots are very valuable in the off season and adding players to it now may not be a good idea. He said only players currently on the 40 man roster will be brought up when rosters expand. That he doesn’t think they will add anyone this year.
It will all depend on who is rule 5 eligible this winter I think. It would make sense to try some of those players.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

Kay and Zeuch both need to be rule 5 protected do they not? Are 40 man spots between now and December that valuable that they'd wait until then rather than add them now for a September callup?

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
The list is a couple years out of date, but bluebird banter did put up a Rule 5 eligibility table in 2017 that forecast all the way through this coming winter.

The notable(ish) names on that list who would need to be protected from selection (1st time eligibility only)

-Riley Adams
-Max Castillo
-Otto Lopez
-Brock Lundquist
-Gabe Moreno
-Kevin Smith
-Samad Taylor
-Logan Warmoth
-Chavez Young

Rule 5-Eligible Players

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
The list is a couple years out of date, but bluebird banter did put up a Rule 5 eligibility table in 2017 that forecast all the way through this coming winter.

The notable(ish) names on that list who would need to be protected from selection (1st time eligibility only)

-Riley Adams
-Max Castillo
-Otto Lopez
-Brock Lundquist
-Gabe Moreno
-Kevin Smith
-Samad Taylor
-Logan Warmoth
-Chavez Young

Rule 5-Eligible Players

This isn't the list for the upcoming one but the one after that. The rule 5 happens before the calender changes to 2020 so you need to look at the 2019 list. Not much worth anything on the 2019 list.

T.J. Zeuch
Zach Jackson
Josh Palacios

and I believe Kay via trade. Not sure if anyone else we've acquired would be worth it. Jackson and Palacios both aren't really worth it anyway.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
This isn't the list for the upcoming one but the one after that. The rule 5 happens before the calender changes to 2020 so you need to look at the 2019 list. Not much worth anything on the 2019 list.

T.J. Zeuch
Zach Jackson
Josh Palacios

and I believe Kay via trade. Not sure if anyone else we've acquired would be worth it. Jackson and Palacios both aren't really worth it anyway.

I thought they were sorted by the season they needed to be protected for. my bad.

Palacios I'd like to see protected. He's not a high end prospect or anything, but I'm still intrigued by his potential.

kb

Aug 28, 2009

-Riley Adams
-Max Castillo
-Otto Lopez
-Brock Lundquist
-Gabe Moreno
-Kevin Smith
-Samad Taylor
-Logan Warmoth
-Chavez Young

Rule 5-Eligible Players
Jeebus......

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

T.J. Zeuch
Zach Jackson
Josh Palacios

I think Espinal too. I would like to see both him and Palacios protected, but I'm admittedly still weirdly high on Espinal.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

T.J. Zeuch
Zach Jackson
Josh Palacios

Hatch will need to be protected too.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Looking at our current 40 man I’m not sure I can call who won’t be protected. I’m assuming Davis in the outfield won’t be on it. Potentially Alford either. Most likely Smoak is gone. Devon Travis I’m sure is done. Recently picked up Beau Taylor at catcher won’t be retained. (I’m sure he’s here to help Buffalo this year at best). Aside from Buchholz and Law it’s hard to tell on the pitching side. A bunch of tweener guys like Ramirez, Murphy, Perez etc. But who knows how the front office views the pitchers we have. Lots of filler on the pitching side that I’m not certain they plan to keep past this year

There is potential to clear a fair amount 40 man spots though

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Take it for a grain of salt, but someone who has been right before on some Jays news named Orlando Barrios and Easton McGee as the pieces from the Rays for Sogard.

Here’s a link to these guys

McGee 6’6” pitcher A ball
Easton McGee Stats, Highlights, Bio | MiLB.com Stats | The Official Site of Minor League Baseball

Barrios 6’6” pitcher dsl 2
Orlando Barrios Stats, Highlights, Bio | MiLB.com Stats | The Official Site of Minor League Baseball

I see a pattern. McGee plays for the Bowling green hot rods. Love that name. Barrios’ numbers are brutal but he’s obviously young. Just if anyone wants to look at what we may have returned in the trade

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
The thing with pitchers is that you want to use their bullets while you can. As soon as Pearson is ready, I imagine he'll be up. If that means treating him like Paddack on San Diego and skipping a start here and there while managing his pitch count, then they'll do that. Pitchers are so unpredictable health-wise, especially guys that throw as hard as Pearson. You might gain an extra year of control in the process of keeping him down an extra six months, but then lose him to TJ anyway. Might as well just bring him up when he's ready.

Huh? The Jay's aren't contending with or without Pearson starting the year with the big club. They will definitely want to protect that extra controllable year.

Besides Pearson hasn't pitched much at the triple A level so he can still learn at that level and he needs to have his innings monitored so they can prevent something like Tommy John surgery or any least delay it so they can get some years before it happens when they need him when they're potential playoff team in 2021 or 2022.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
Huh? The Jay's aren't contending with or without Pearson starting the year with the big club. They will definitely want to protect that extra controllable year.

Besides Pearson hasn't pitched much at the triple A level so he can still learn at that level and he needs to have his innings monitored so they can prevent something like Tommy John surgery or any least delay it so they can get some years before it happens when they need him when they're potential playoff team in 2021 or 2022.
I didn't say he was starting the year with the big club, I said if he's ready he'll likely be with the team. And you can't "prevent" TJ...you just have to hope it doesn't happen. It's just as likely to happen next year as it is those other years. Which is why the Vlad, Eloy treatment doesn't really happen with pitchers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad