Post-mortem on the season

NastyNick

Sep 7, 2007
Pittsburgh
Crosby on Letang:

Whatever you say Sid, whatever you say.
LOL, cmon Sid. I seen junior players with better understanding of where they should be on the ice then Letang.

This is what should have happened to Letang the day after game six:

mad_max_beyond_thunderdome.jpg

Reactions: SouthGeorge

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
You guys really think Sid is going to call out to the media a player on his team, no matter what he thinks? Lol...you must never listen to his boring *** interviews either...you don’t know him after all these years....

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Ahh, another good old fashioned Penguins propaganda campaign. They did the same types of things with Orpik, Dupuis, MAF, and Kunitz before Letang.

Anyone with half-a-brain can see what they're doing, so I really doubt these things have any sort of meaningful impact on STH's. I don't even understand the point of it. The organization is going to do whatever they want, so what exactly do their stupid PR campaigns accomplish anyway?

Reactions: The Benchwarmer

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Ahh, another good old fashioned Penguins propaganda campaign. They did the same types of things with Orpik, Dupuis, MAF, and Kunitz before Letang.

Anyone with half-a-brain can see what they're doing, so I really doubt these things have any sort of meaningful impact on STH's. I don't even understand the point of it. The organization is going to do whatever they want, so what exactly do their stupid PR campaigns accomplish anyway?
They want to believe, so they will.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Let's also address the offense looking worse without Letang.. 2017 playoffs against Caps - Averaging 2.8 goals while giving up 2.5. 2018 playoffs against Caps - Averaging 2.3 goals while giving up 3.1. Just an all around better team without Letang. It's clear as day and the stats back it. Not sure what else anybody needs to see tbh.
Shots per game with Letang: 27.5, without: 23
Shots against per game with Letang: 28.5, without: 32.7

Clear as day.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018

Clear as day.

That's even more pathetic they give up more goals on less shots with Letang. It makes sense when you think about all the breakaways he gives up with his stupid mistakes. I'd prefer keeping everything in front and giving up 33 shots a game opposed to giving up breakaways and odd man rushes and 28.5. It's common sense really and clear as day.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
That's even more pathetic they give up more goals on less shots with Letang. It makes sense when you think about all the breakaways he gives up with his stupid mistakes. I'd prefer keeping everything in front and giving up 33 shots a game opposed to giving up breakaways and odd man rushes and 28.5. It's common sense really and clear as day.
"I'd prefer we get outshot by 10 a game."

I think we're done here.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

We gave up plenty of breakaways in 2017.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
"I'd prefer we get outshot by 10 a game."

I think we're done here.

You ignored goals for and against with and without Letang. Stats show they give up more goals with Letang on less shots because he gives up higher % chances aka breakaways. We've been done here.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009

Clear as day.

That would be an interesting stat if people were advocating getting ride of Letang and replacing him with some rando AHLer for an entire season or Matt Hunwick. Considering that if they ever got rid of him, they'd like bring in another defenseman juuuuuuust above the level of one of their 7th/8th bleh factories that replaced him in the lineup during any of those games

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
What did people expect Crosby to say? Not only is Letang a teammate, but he's a good friend of Crosby's. If you asked Crosby about Matt Hunwick, he'd probably have glowing things to say about him, too.
For me I could give 2 shits about what Crosby says. He's the captain and I don't expect him to throw any play on his team under the bus. It's part of what makes him a great captain.

The part that bothers me is that the organization is already firing up the gas-lighting campaign.

This is how it starts. They've done it with guys like Adams, Dupuis, MAF, and it was really bad with Kunitz.

It got to a point with Kunitz that Steigy was praising him for making plays that a kid in atom is expected to make, and he was doing it every single game. Steigy wouldn't dare to mention that Kunitz had 5 giveaways in a period, but he'd make damn sure to tell us that Kunitz made a 15 foot tape-to-tape pass with no one in the way. It was nauseating.

If they're not looking to trade Letang, that's fine, but they shouldn't be going out of their way to heap praise on him after a very substandard season. The majority of the fan-base isn't that stupid to fall for it, and I'm sure some find it as an insult to their intelligence.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Every one of these quotes I've seen about letang is mentioning good and bad games, coming back stronger, etc. They are absolutely saying he had a rough year the only way that makes sense. They all know it. I'm sure he knows it. But I don't think it's just coach or captain talk saying he can be better with a healthy offseason, I really think they believe it. Which makes sense, because it's true. Maybe he won't be better, but i think there's plenty of reason to believe he can bounce back from this season. Maybe not to his peak, but better than this season.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
What did people expect Crosby to say? Not only is Letang a teammate, but he's a good friend of Crosby's. If you asked Crosby about Matt Hunwick, he'd probably have glowing things to say about him, too.

You know it's bad when the Penguins Twitter is trying to reassure you Letang is good. Asking Dumo and Sully about him on clean out day and now Crosby giving quotes. It's obvious what the consensus is in the locker room about who cost them the 3 peat.

RizzleMcRib

Cheeseburgers and rocket ships.
Jun 17, 2014
Wherever there are cheeseburgers.
You know it's bad when the Penguins Twitter is trying to reassure you Letang is good. Asking Dumo and Sully about him on clean out day and now Crosby giving quotes. It's obvious what the consensus is in the locker room about who cost them the 3 peat.
Tell us what else you learned from being in that locker room.

At this point I honestly think you're just trying to be a troll or just really edgy.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Tell us what else you learned from being in that locker room.

At this point I honestly think you're just trying to be a troll or just really edgy.

Every question about play since the series has ended has been about Letang. I don't see Crosby giving motivational quotes for Kessel or Murray two weeks after the season has ended. Letang must go.

RizzleMcRib

Cheeseburgers and rocket ships.
Jun 17, 2014
Wherever there are cheeseburgers.
Every question about play since the series has ended has been about Letang. I don't see Crosby giving motivational quotes for Kessel or Murray two weeks after the season has ended. Letang must go.

Ok. The media asks questions. The players answer them. What's your point?
Same thing was happening in 2008 with Malkin. Then again in 2015. Kessel last year. Last time I checked both are still with the team.

I'll take the player's opinion well before I take some kid's on a message board.

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Every one of these quotes I've seen about letang is mentioning good and bad games, coming back stronger, etc. They are absolutely saying he had a rough year the only way that makes sense. They all know it. I'm sure he knows it. But I don't think it's just coach or captain talk saying he can be better with a healthy offseason, I really think they believe it. Which makes sense, because it's true. Maybe he won't be better, but i think there's plenty of reason to believe he can bounce back from this season. Maybe not to his peak, but better than this season.

Like, it’s so obvious.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Ok. The media asks questions. The players answer them. What's your point?
Same thing was happening in 2008 with Malkin. Then again in 2015. Kessel last year. Last time I checked both are still with the team.

I'll take the player's opinion well before I take some kid's on a message board.

And you will ignore all the experts opinions outside of Pittsburgh... Like somebody else already said in here. It's not like Crosby is going to come out and bash Letang.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013

Truth... the dude didnt even wanna speak Ill of Colby Armstrong when he was here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad