Post-Lottery 2018 Mock Draft, Devils-centric

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I would love to see what Castron can do with a few first rounders

Well, Edmonton is shopping #10 and Shero has fleeced him before. Also, the Isles have a pair of picks at #11 & #12, need help now, and Shero and Lamoriello have a good relationship. Still, I think the most likely scenario is that the Devils trade down into the late first round and pick up a second/third rounder, as well. I think the major candidates for this would include Detroit, the Rangers, Anaheim and Los Angeles. In most drafts I would be skeptical of such a move, but 2018 has so much variability that I would not mind this type of trade.

For instance, if the Devils traded with the Kings: #17 for #20 & #82?
Or the Ducks: #17 for #23 & #54.
Or the Rangers: #17 for #26 & #39.
Or the Wings: #17 for #30/31 & #33.

All of these moves would make sense, if the Devils were not completely sold on one specific player available at #17.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Well, Edmonton is shopping #10 and Shero has fleeced him before. Also, the Isles have a pair of picks at #11 & #12, need help now, and Shero and Lamoriello have a good relationship. Still, I think the most likely scenario is that the Devils trade down into the late first round and pick up a second/third rounder, as well. I think the major candidates for this would include Detroit, the Rangers, Anaheim and Los Angeles. In most drafts I would be skeptical of such a move, but 2018 has so much variability that I would not mind this type of trade.

For instance, if the Devils traded with the Kings: #17 for #20 & #82?
Or the Ducks: #17 for #23 & #54.
Or the Rangers: #17 for #26 & #39.
Or the Wings: #17 for #30/31 & #33.

All of these moves would make sense, if the Devils were not completely sold on one specific player available at #17.
The only problem with trading up to #10 (if we somehow managed to do it) is who do you pick? Smith? A center? A RW?

Obviously it depends how the picks fall, but if we had done worse and ended up holding #10 instead of 17, I would very seriously consider trading down for more assets/picks because there's so many players to pick from with almost equal value.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
The only problem with trading up to #10 (if we somehow managed to do it) is who do you pick? Smith? A center? A RW?

Obviously it depends how the picks fall, but if we had done worse and ended up holding #10 instead of 17, I would very seriously consider trading down for more assets/picks because there's so many players to pick from with almost equal value.

Who do I pick at 10? Good question. Let's assume the likely guys are gone: Dahlin, Svechnikov, Zadina, Tkachuk, Hughes, Boqvist, Bouchard, Wahlstrom, Dobson.

I'd have to say my choice would then be Veleno or Smith.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Chris Ryan suggest if Shero trades down we may draft a speedy center by the name Foudy. Never heard of him a riser who may be the fastest skater in the draft.
Just looked him up, 40 points in 65 games, jut 16 assists, no way is he our first pick. Whether we are talking 1st or 2nd round.

Even 3rd round looks like a reach.

Edit:Further sniffing finds McKeen's hockey has him at 25. Central scouting has him 19th among North American skaters(so maybe in the 30's overall?). Future considertations has him at a somewhat reasonable 49.

He did play at the WJC-18 and had 4 points in 5 games.

Some serious bloodlines too as his dad was a CFL player and his mother an Olympic sprinter.

But man I just can't see this guy being our top pick.

Last edited:

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Just looked him up, 40 points in 65 games, jut 16 assists, no way is he our first pick. Whether we are talking 1st or 2nd round.

He will be gone by 40 at the latest.

Though I agree no way you take him at 17 since IMO there will be better players still on the board

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Foudy apparently lit it up at the combines. An athletic freak which is not surprising given his parents.

I'd draw a Miles Wood comparison except Wood seemed to not play much hockey at a younger age(still would like to get the story on that), where as Foudy was a 1st rnd pick going into the OHL, you have to have been playing for awhile to get on that radar.

Edit: So through the first 35 games of the year Foudy had 7 points. London then trades all their top line guys like Pu, Robert Thomas and Max Jones, Foudy get's a bigger role and goes for a bout a ppg through the end of the year.

So I step back my earlier 3rd round statement.

But I stick by my no way should he be our first pick statement.

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
One of my favorite defensive prospects from the OHL is Joey Keane from the Barrie Colts. He's projected to go really late because of possible questions about any NHL upside, but I think there's good potential there for a late-round steal. He's got fantastic skating and was playing some huge minutes for Barrie

Reactions: StevenToddIves

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
One of my favorite defensive prospects from the OHL is Joey Keane from the Barrie Colts. He's projected to go really late because of possible questions about any NHL upside, but I think there's good potential there for a late-round steal. He's got fantastic skating and was playing some huge minutes for Barrie
What are the questions? He put up good #'s, he has decent size, and if he is indeed a good skater I'd think he be in the upper half of the draft.

Oh I see this is his +1 year. Still the paperwork looks pretty good. If he can skate Id say that's an interesting possibility.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA

Edit:Further sniffing finds McKeen's hockey has him at 25. Central scouting has him 19th among North American skaters(so maybe in the 30's overall?). Future considertations has him at a somewhat reasonable 49.

He did play at the WJC-18 and had 4 points in 5 games.

Some serious bloodlines too as his dad was a CFL player and his mother an Olympic sprinter.

But man I just can't see this guy being our top pick.

Ryan said in the first half of the season he played on the 3rd line, 2nd half he moved up the first line on his junior team. I believe he’s a consideration if we move down

Reactions: StevenToddIves

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
Foudy apparently lit it up at the combines. An athletic freak which is not surprising given his parents.

I'd draw a Miles Wood comparison except Wood seemed to not play much hockey at a younger age(still would like to get the story on that), where as Foudy was a 1st rnd pick going into the OHL, you have to have been playing for awhile to get on that radar.

Edit: So through the first 35 games of the year Foudy had 7 points. London then trades all their top line guys like Pu, Robert Thomas and Max Jones, Foudy get's a bigger role and goes for a bout a ppg through the end of the year.

So I step back my earlier 3rd round statement.

But I stick by my no way should he be our first pick statement.

Hot DAMN you are right. He KILLED it at the combines. Pretty much blew everyone out of the water..

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Hot DAMN you are right. He KILLED it at the combines. Pretty much blew everyone out of the water..

Blackwood did that also. Athleticism only takes you so far. Running and jumping aren’t that relevant in hockey and things like metabolism testing are only so relevant when most shifts are 45 seconds or so. We all remember the no pull ups from last year. I’m not saying I’d dismiss it but the hockey skills and hockey IQ and upside have to be there or you just have a worse Tom Chorske.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
Who do I pick at 10? Good question. Let's assume the likely guys are gone: Dahlin, Svechnikov, Zadina, Tkachuk, Hughes, Boqvist, Bouchard, Wahlstrom, Dobson.

I'd have to say my choice would then be Veleno or Smith.

I believe in one of your mocks, you had Wahlstrom falling to number 10. Here's a question, is he that good that you would take Lucic's albatross contract and number 10 in exchange for stuff that allows Chiarelli to kind of save face? Like could he be someone who is competing for the Calder in two years even against someone like Jack Hughes? If not Wahlstrom, is there anyone else that might be available there where you would do something like that?

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Chris Ryan suggest if Shero trades down we may draft a speedy center by the name Foudy. Never heard of him a riser who may be the fastest skater in the draft.

I've mentioned Foudy for awhile. If I had a pick in the mid-20s, I would seriously consider him. Beautiful skater with remarkable upside. I'd say he's the second best skater in the draft, just behind Hughes and just ahead of Kupari and Zadina.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I've mentioned Foudy for awhile. If I had a pick in the mid-20s, I would seriously consider him. Beautiful skater with remarkable upside. I'd say he's the second best skater in the draft, just behind Hughes and just ahead of Kupari and Zadina.

He's a blazer but it's unknown if he can make that jump to be an impact Top-6

Projects as a winger, right?

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
He's a blazer but it's unknown if he can make that jump to be an impact Top-6

Projects as a winger, right?

I think Foudy can be a center. A lot will be dictated by his 2018-19 season with the London Knights. He's been brought along slowly and is likely a year behind most 2018 draft eligibles developmentally. This makes him a bit of a risky pick, but he's still likely to go in the late 1st/early second due to a huge upside and elite skating. Foudy is certainly one of the most intriguing prospects of this year's draft.

Reactions: My3Sons
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->