Post-lockout Lineup

Myron Gaines*

90% of the board is firmly pro-Carey Price now. He may not be as good as Quick or Lundqvist but he's still a top goalie. If he keeps his play up to par or exceeds it there's no telling what we can accomplish - he's that sort of unique piece.

No **** Sherlock.

Jay Wolf

Jun 14, 2011
I think Galchenyuk has a solid chance of making this team, but not in the top-6 right away. I see:

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Cole
Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta
Galchenyuk-Eller-Prust
Moen-White/Noke-Armstrong

If Gally fails to make the team, Bergevin and Therien have a hole on the left wing and need to address it ASAP.

The D pairings are tricky. We're still missing a big stay-at-home type which I hope will be acquired post haste. Barring that:

Markov-Gorges
Emelin/Kaberle-Subban
Emelin/Kaberle-Diaz

Bouillon and Webber will be shuffled in and out of the line-up all season depending on how Kaberle, Diaz and Emelin perform. All together, not a horrible looking D, but not the toughest either.

People usually get pissed when I say this, but I would love to pull a Kaberle for Komisarek trade. As long as we're paying $4+mil for an underachiever, why not get someone who hits, still has a rapport with many of the players and knows what it to expect when playing in MTL. Just a thought...

Raider917

Feb 4, 2004
Nova Scotia
I think Galchenyuk has a solid chance of making this team, but not in the top-6 right away. I see:

Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta
Galchenyuk-Eller-Prust
Moen-White/Noke-Armstrong

If Gally fails to make the team, Bergevin and Therien have a hole on the left wing and need to address it ASAP.

The D pairings are tricky. We're still missing a big stay-at-home type which I hope will be acquired post haste. Barring that:

Markov-Gorges
Emelin/Kaberle-Subban
Emelin/Kaberle-Diaz

Bouillon and Webber will be shuffled in and out of the line-up all season depending on how Kaberle, Diaz and Emelin perform. All together, not a horrible looking D, but not the toughest either.

People usually get pissed when I say this, but I would love to pull a Kaberle for Komisarek trade. As long as we're paying $4+mil for an underachiever, why not get someone who hits, still has a rapport with many of the players and knows what it to expect when playing in MTL. Just a thought...
id rather see him in the QMJHL if he isnt on the top two lines

Jay Wolf

Jun 14, 2011
id rather see him in the QMJHL if he isnt on the top two lines

It won't hurt Gally if they start him off on the 3rd line. It is entirely possible that he's ready for the NHL, but not for the top-6 just yet. I think it's a good thing to allow him to earn a feature role on this team rather than forcing it on him. Besides, I'd like to see what he and Eller can do together.

Raider917

Feb 4, 2004
Nova Scotia
It won't hurt Gally to start him off on the 3rd line. It is entirely possible that he's ready for the NHL, but not for the top-6 just yet. I think it's a good thing to allow him to earn a feature role on this team rather than forcing it on him. Besides, I'd like to see what he and Eller can do together.

he is only allowed 6 games this year? does he have to go back to chl after 6 games or can he go to ahl if he is 19?

Mue

Oct 20, 2006
he is only allowed 6 games this year? does he have to go back to chl after 6 games or can he go to ahl if he is 19?

He can't play in the AHL this season (well, he could after his CHL team is eliminated from the playoffs).

Jay Wolf

Jun 14, 2011

As I understand it, he has a 6-game tryout before it counts as a season contractually. If he impresses enough, they might keep him for the season and let the future chips fall where they may. If he's sent down after 6 (or before, for that matter), he will be sent back to junior - CHL prospects must be 20 before they are eligible to play in the AHL.

feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

NewHabsEra*

Cole Desharnais Pac

Galchenyuk Plekanec Gionta

Moen Eller Prust

White\Bourque Dumont Armstrong

Roulin

Mar 21, 2007
Montreal
Sykora/Eller-Plekanec-Gionta
Bourque-Moore/Eller-Armstrong/Noke/Gallagher
Prust-White-Moen
Gomez

I'm not convinced Armstrong has anything left. He's not all that old, but it's been a long time (2009-10) since he made a positive difference in the NHL and his body has been through a lot. I'm sure Therrien will give him a chance, but not sure he'll be on the team by the end of the season.

If Moore or Sykora can be convinced to play on a 1 year contract for cheap without a NTC, I'd go for it. The team needs another forward. If we suck anyway, then that's another 2nd or 3rd round pick at the deadline. I don't see much of a downside.

Gorges-Subban
Markov-Emelin
Kaberle-Diaz
Bouillon-St Denis

I don't see any realistic combination of injuries that allows Weber to re-establish any trade value. Time to let him try to get his career going elsewhere, hopefully we can get a pick for him. IMO St Denis is an NHL'er.

HabsSlappy

Jul 30, 2005
Ontario
I am not sure how I feel about this line up since it moves Desharnais out of centre (which is where I think he is best) but I wanted to see something different.

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Cole (give Gally the best chance to succeed)
Desharnais - Plekanec - Bourque (Two guys to help Bourque succeed)
Prust - Eller - Gionta (Gionta may have trouble on this line)
Moen - White - Armstrong (Energy and some guts)
Gomez - Nokelainen (extras)

Markov - Gorges
Kaberle - Subban
Emelin - Diaz
Bouillon - Weber

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Sykora/Eller-Plekanec-Gionta
Bourque-Moore/Eller-Armstrong/Noke/Gallagher
Prust-White-Moen
Gomez

I'm not convinced Armstrong has anything left. He's not all that old, but it's been a long time (2009-10) since he made a positive difference in the NHL and his body has been through a lot. I'm sure Therrien will give him a chance, but not sure he'll be on the team by the end of the season.

If Moore or Sykora can be convinced to play on a 1 year contract for cheap without a NTC, I'd go for it. The team needs another forward. If we suck anyway, then that's another 2nd or 3rd round pick at the deadline. I don't see much of a downside.

Gorges-Subban
Markov-Emelin
Kaberle-Diaz
Bouillon-St Denis

I don't see any realistic combination of injuries that allows Weber to re-establish any trade value. Time to let him try to get his career going elsewhere, hopefully we can get a pick for him. IMO St Denis is an NHL'er.

Missing half a season to the lock out should only help guys like Armstrong who's body has been battered and run down.

I agree though Sykora would bge a nice addition as insurance for Gionta and Bourque and a PP asset.

Weber should be worth at least a 3rd or a "B" prospect. He has NHL experience, some success and is still relatively young, plus lots of teams are looking for d-men right now due to injuries(Tor NYI Ott Edm etc)

hogtownhabsfan*

I am not sure how I feel about this line up since it moves Desharnais out of centre (which is where I think he is best) but I wanted to see something different.

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Cole (give Gally the best chance to succeed)
Desharnais - Plekanec - Bourque (Two guys to help Bourque succeed)
Prust - Eller - Gionta (Gionta may have trouble on this line)
Moen - White - Armstrong (Energy and some guts)
Gomez - Nokelainen (extras)

Markov - Gorges
Kaberle - Subban
Emelin - Diaz
Bouillon - Weber

LOL, all the pressure in the world as the first line center is the best chance to succeed? His best chance to succeed is on the wing, probably Plekanecs. Even the Sting have him on the wing.

Roulin

Mar 21, 2007
Montreal
Weber should be worth at least a 3rd or a "B" prospect. He has NHL experience, some success and is still relatively young, plus lots of teams are looking for d-men right now due to injuries(Tor NYI Ott Edm etc)

That's what I'm hoping. There is a shortage of PP capable dmen in the league right now... but it depends just how capable team s believe Weber is. Hoping for the best, but also prepared to not get anything of value back.

durojean

May 29, 2007
The D pairings

You have

Subban ( can play physical and pretty much good all around)
Markov ( once was our best defenceman a pretty complete d)
Gorges ( elite defensively - don't count on his offence)
Kaberle (was elite in offence - don't count on him on defence)
Bouillon ( a little bulldog - plays with heart - stable - physical d)
Emelin ( physical - makes the opponent be careful - still potential )
Diaz ( intelligent player - could have good offence - good stickwork )
Weber ( good shot - i still believe in his potential )

Subban - Markov

Let's put the best with the best and not dilute our line up. We have 2 elite D one old and one young with playing style that pretty much mesh together. With Markov healthy it's one of the best pair in the nhl. The transition could be incredible when they're both on the ice.

Kaberle - Gorges

I for one, still believe in Kaberle. He's an elite puck moving D and could be an asset in our transition game. Defensively, he's no Markov and has frequent lapses. That is why we should put him with our best defensive d. It could be a perfect balance between offence and defence with these two.

The third pairing is harder to place together because we have 3 good assets on hand with maybe a little disadvantage to Weber. I place Emelin and Diaz at pretty much the same place right now. While having different skillset the both have good upside. I do prfer the

Emelin - Bouillon

We are not physical enough with our d right now so I give an edge to Emelin in the battle of 3 with Weber and Diaz. Emelin bring something we don't have in our line up so he's important. I put Bouillon as 5th D because of his experience and how he could complete whoever he plays with. Plus he brings passion in the line-up which we pretty much need. Let him groom the yougn guy he plays with and on the third pairing his icetime won't be too much.

I like our D and we still have a lot of potential. In the next 2 years we'll have to find place to Tinordi and Beaulieu so we could make a trade with one of our d. I'd say no one is untouchable at this position to improve the rest of our line-up.

Go habs Go !

Habtchum*

O'Byrne had good upside and has since proven it. He's exactly one of the two types of players we're missing on our d-corps.

O'Byrne and Lapierre are the two guys I would take back on the Habs' roster, right now.

DerektheHabsfan82

Jan 11, 2013
MTL
My thoughts:
- Sign Subban for 2yrs at 9mil or 8yrs at 45mil
- Sign Andrei Kostitsyn or Sykora for 1yr 2mil

Forwards:
Bourque - Desharnais - Cole
(Desharnais and Cole worked well together and should be able to help Bourque's production, thus augmenting his trade value)

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Gionta
(Pacioretty and Gionta played well together in the past. All three players are good defensively.)

Kostitsyn - Eller - Armstrong
(Andrei and Eller had good chemistry in the past. Armstrong add grit to the line)

Prust - White - Moen
(I don't know whether it should be Prust or White that plays center. Good gritty, defensive line)

Extras: Noke, Gomez (will we be able to buy him out if he gets injured?)

Defense:

Markov - Subban
Kaberle - Gorges
(Same as durojean's reasons. I think that Kaberle will be more confident alongside Gorges. If he produces, we will get a better return for him at the trade deadline or the offseason. Otherwise, we use the second compliance buyout on him)

Emelin - Diaz
(They played well last year and should continue to improve. Bouillon could have taken Diaz's spot but he is LH while Diaz is RH)

Extras: Bouillon, Weber (could be traded to a team in need of D)

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
TVA sport were doing their expected lineup for the opener

They come up with:

Patches-DD-Cole
Bourque-Plek-Gionta
Prust-Eller-Moen
White-Gomez-Armstrong

Markov-Emelin
Gorges-Subban
Bouillon-Kaberle

Chico said he would like to put Galchenyuk as 3rd line center and put Eller on the 4th line center...........

Myron Gaines*

Gaston Therrien really seems to think our pairings will be:

Markov Emelin
Subban Bouillon
Gorges Diaz/Kaberle
Weber

nyhabsfan

Jun 23, 2005
Connecticut
Thinking a little outside the box; not saying that these should be the lines, but the premise is that you spread the scoring out across lines and kick start a few players in a short season:

Patches ---- DD --- Cole. (don't fix if it's not broken)
Bourque --- Pleky --- Armstrong (potential to be a great line or lousy line; Mr. Bourque?)
Moen---- Gomez ---- Gionta (Stuck with Gomer, give him a familiar face and solid two way winger)
Galley ----Eller ----Prust (Gally-Eller the future; eases the kid into the NHL and the rabid media market on other teams and Prust keeps everyone in check. Love to see them eat up bottom 6 forwards).

- White is 13th forward for now.
- Each line has skill and toughness; can play Therrien's 2 way game
- After first line; not easy to match lines for opponents
- Key to this is Pleky's wingers show some scoring touch and Gomer come back to respectability at least

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->