Post-lockout Lineup

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Hopefully a new CBA is in place in the next 5-7 days and a season starts January 19th, it's looking good so far.

What would the Habs lineup look like?

Goal:
Price(25)
Budaj(30)
***pretty much set barring something unforseen

Defense:
Subban(23-RFA)
Gorges(28)
Markov(34)
Kaberle(34)
Emelin(26)
Bouillon(37)
Diaz(26)
Weber(24)
St.Denis(26)(waivers)
***either St Denis gets waived to Hmailton or another d-man is traded, I expect them to keep 8 d-men

Forwards:
Plekanec(30)
Pacioretty(24)
Cole(34)
Gionta(33)
Desharnais(26)
Bourque(31)
Eller(23)
Prust(28)
Armstrong(30)
Moen(30)
White(24)
Nokelainen(26)

Others?
LeBlanc(21)
Galcheyuk(18)
Palushaj(23)
Blunden(26)

***I think we may see Palushaj traded if they are not going to keep him , though his injury complicates things. I wonder if Galchenyuk would get an exhibition game or two. LeBlanc is likely to stay in Hamilton recovering from that high ankle sprain. I expect blunden as #13 forward unless a trade happens or Galchenyuk makes the team.

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
Patches-DD-Cole
Bourque-Plek-Gionta
Prust-Eller-Armstrong
Moen-Noke-White
13th FW-?

If Gally makes the team

Patches-DD-Cole
Gally-Plek-Gionta
Prust-Eller-Bourque
Moen-White/Noke-Armstrong

Gorges-Subban
Markov-Emelin
Kaberle-Bouillon
ex Weber-Diaz

If Markov proves to be healthy Kaberle gets moved at the deadline for a 2nd round pick. Bouillon and Diaz become the 3rd pair.

Edit: Marc Bergevin has said that even though Gally has been used at LW, the team see's him as a centre. but with a short training camp, I don't think they would put him at C right away, but if they do, team seems to have hinted to Eller that he would be the one that might move to LW.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Patches-DD-Cole
Bourque-Plek-Gionta
Prust-Eller-Armstrong
Moen-Noke-White
13th FW-?

If Gally makes the team

Patches-DD-Cole
Gally-Plek-Gionta
Prust-Eller-Bourque
Moen-White/Noke-Armstrong

Gorges-Subban
Markov-Emelin
Kaberle-Bouillon
ex Weber-Diaz

If Markov proves to be healthy Kaberle gets moved at the deadline for a 2nd round pick. Bouillon and Diaz become the 3rd pair.

Kaberle getting moved would depend on his play as well as how the team is doing. Ideally though we'd flip a PMD for a big stay at home type as we have Markov Subban Kaberle Diaz Weber. Can't see Diaz as #7 the way he's playing in the Swiss league, will be interesting to see how the defense is managed. St Denis could be an option at #8, they may not want to lose him on wivers plus as #7-8 he can play LH and RH side.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
Pacioretty-Desharnais-Cole
Gally-Plekanec-Gionta
Bourque-Eller-Armstrong
Moen-White-Prust
Noki

Markov-Emelin
Gorges-Subban
Kaberle-Bouillon
Diaz
Weber

Or something like that... Armstrong is better than Prust offensively and less good a fighter, that's why he plays 4th line.

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
Kaberle getting moved would depend on his play as well as how the team is doing. Ideally though we'd flip a PMD for a big stay at home type as we have Markov Subban Kaberle Diaz Weber. Can't see Diaz as #7 the way he's playing in the Swiss league, will be interesting to see how the defense is managed. St Denis could be an option at #8, they may not want to lose him on wivers plus as #7-8 he can play LH and RH side.

I believe if Markov is 100% Kaberle is useless, he is a good PP qb, but he would be useless if Markov is healthy, that is why I think he would be moved later on.

In regards to Diaz, I really like him, but a Kaberle-Diaz pairing would be soft as butter. I think the teams wants a physically d-men on every pair, you would have one in Emelin playing with Markov, Subban and Gorges are both not big but play physical, and I know he is small, but probably one of the toughest pound for pound guys in the league in Bouillon to play with Kaberle. So I don't think Daiz can get in the lineup unless an injury or Kaberle is moved.

As for St Denis, I really like him, I wound't be surprised if Weber is moved prior to the season and have him as the 8th D-men, but simply no room right now.

Last edited:

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Pacioretty-Desharnais-Cole
Gally-Plekanec-Gionta
Bourque-Eller-Armstrong
Moen-White-Prust
Noki

Markov-Emelin
Gorges-Subban
Kaberle-Bouillon
Diaz
Weber

Or something like that... Armstrong is better than Prust offensively and less good a fighter, that's why he plays 4th line.

Instead of keeping Gally, I could see us trade/sign a low risk high reward type in case of struggles or injury in the top 6, a guy like Hecht Huselius Langkow or Sykora and use Nokelainen as #13.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I like the way you all ignore Gomer. AFAIK, he's still part of the team and we are "stuck" with him, at least one more year.

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
I like the way you all ignore Gomer. AFAIK, he's still part of the team and we are "stuck" with him, at least one more year.

The rumour is that the CBA is allow teams to buy out 1 contract without counting on the cap...

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

That will probably depend on the transition rules. I see it highgly likely we have compliance buyouts.

Hope Of Glory

May 24, 2009
North Shore
At the beginning of the season:

Paches - DD - Cole
Bourque - Pleks - Gionta
Moen - Eller - Armstrong
Prust - Noke - White

Subban - Gorges
Markov - Emelin
Diaz - Bouillon
Kaberle

If the 2nd line doesn't produce like last year:

Cole - Pleks - Gionta
Paches - DD - Bourque

I find those line much more balanced, but it all depends on how Bourque bounces back (if he ever does) and how Gionta come back one year older after his injury.

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
Max-DD-Bourque anyone?

Seems like Max and DD will be fine and Bourque can come in with a playmaker and maybe regain his form.

Issue is Cole, being a LHS Cole, is able to play LW, but he really only wants to play RW, with the Oilers he played LW, and didn't like it, also didn't have much success. So that means Gionta who only plays RW, would then be bumped to the 3rd line.

Maybe
Pathes-DD-Bourque
Gally-Plek-Cole
Prust-Eller-Gionta

tough to see Gionta who is good for 25-30 goals, on the 3rd line, but it might work if he gets 1st pp unit time and roll 3 lines almost evenly.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Issue is Cole, being a LHS Cole, is able to play LW, but he really only wants to play RW, with the Oilers he played LW, and didn't like it, also didn't have much success. So that means Gionta who only plays RW, would then be bumped to the 3rd line.

Maybe
Pathes-DD-Bourque
Gally-Plek-Cole
Prust-Eller-Gionta

tough to see Gionta who is good for 25-30 goals, on the 3rd line, but it might work if he gets 1st pp unit time and roll 3 lines almost evenly.

Can Max play both wing positions?

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
Max-DD-Bourque anyone?

Seems like Max and DD will be fine and Bourque can come in with a playmaker and maybe regain his form.

For a coach wanting to instill a good work ethic, nothing does that better then rewarding Bourque with a plum job and hand your hard working captain 3rd line minutes.:sarcasm:

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I'd go with:

Patches - DD - Cole

Bourque - Plex - Gionta

Gally or Gallagher - Eller - Armstrong

Moen - White - Prust

Noki

Markov - Emelin

PK - Gorges

Kaberle - Bou

Diaz/Weber

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
For a coach wanting to instill a good work ethic, nothing does that better then rewarding Bourque with a plum job and hand your hard working captain 3rd line minutes.:sarcasm:

I'm sure Bourque has had to work hard to come bcak from abdominal surgery.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
I think if 1 thing has been proven clear at the WJC, Galchenyuk as a 12-15 minute player does not work. It should be top 6 or Sarnia...with Sarnia being the far more likely destination.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I think if 1 thing has been proven clear at the WJC, Galchenyuk as a 12-15 minute player does not work. It should be top 6 or Sarnia...with Sarnia being the far more likely destination.

The stats disagree with you, 2nd in the tournament with 8 points in 5 games despite a center with stiff hands.

DJ Breadman

Jan 18, 2011
Newfoundland
The rumour is that the CBA is allow teams to buy out 1 contract without counting on the cap...

well it's not really a rumor because this has actually been discussed, the only problem is it won't be put in place untill this summer so we are stuck with gomez for this year

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
well it's not really a rumor because this has actually been discussed, the only problem is it won't be put in place untill this summer so we are stuck with gomez for this year

We can still send him AHL/ECHL/Europe if we want. Doesn't have to be on the actual roster.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I don't see how having Galchenyuk on the team can contribute to most important task: the rebuild.

The priority is to maximize trade value at the deadline of the players we'd like to deal, as we're not making any noise in the playoffs this year, and to maximize the development of young players.

Forwards:

Pacioretty-DD-Bourque (minutes as easy as last year's)
Plekanec-Eller-Cole
Armstrong-Gomez-Gionta
Prust-Noke-Moen
Spares and injury replacements: White, Leblanc

The above is a forward lineup that maximizes any potential trade value for Bourque and Armstrong. It also allows Eller to take the next step up. It also puts Gomez in a position to succeed, meaning we could conceivably extract a 3rd rounder from him at the end of the year if he bounces back and gets 30 points as the 3rd line center. I remind everyone that Gomez has a cap hit exceeding his salary by 3 million dollar next year.

Defense:

Markov-Subban
Kaberle-Gorges
Bouillon-Emelin
spares: Diaz, Weber

This is a defensive lineup that puts Andrei Markov in a protective position to succeed, as he will be covered by the best defensemen on the team, giving him room to grow back. Kaberle-Gorges is a good pairing at both ends of the ice, and they compensate for each other's weaknesses, meaning we could flip Kaberle for a 1st rounder. Bouillon-Emelin can be the shutdown pairing.

Beatnik

Sep 2, 2002
Québec
Visit site
The stats disagree with you, 2nd in the tournament with 8 points in 5 games despite a center with stiff hands.

The stats mean crap, specially over 5 games. Trouba, a defensive defenceman, have as much points as him....

I do want him to have a fair chance at making the team. But god i'm tired of people not watching the games bringing up WJC stats.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil

Not to turn this into discussion that goes into the Gally thread, but he's clearly not comfortable playing such limited minutes at even strength. I think 4 of his 8 points are on the PP too.

DA, a 3rd for Gomez? A 1st for Kaberle? Unless Pierre Gauthier steals a GM job again, forget it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad