Post-Lockout Forward Tournament: Tier 1, Round 1: Auston Matthews Versus Leon Draisaitl

Which Player Would You Rather Draft?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Drai's numbers are greatly inflated by playing with McDavid. on a non McDavid team, he is a 80 point player, which is pretty good. To put into perspective, imagine Matthews playing alongside McDavid.

Reactions: HolyHagelin

Pete Taylor

Dec 11, 2017
Regular Season: Matthews
Post Season: Drai and its not close
Overall, Id go with Drai.

Leon in 49 games has 77 points and 31 goals, Auston in 50 games has 44 points and 22 goals.

If you want to win a series, you go Leon.

Reactions: Duke74

Pete Taylor

Dec 11, 2017
Drai is better at essentially nothing.

Slower
Not as good along the boards
Much worse defensively
Not as good off a scorer
PP Merchant

I guess he’s a better powerplay passer?
Drai is better at puck protection, playmaking, and has better vision. Both are great players but saying Drai is better at basically nothing shows how well you actually know hockey, or just how biased you are.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
I voted Dry but I was actually gonna vote for Matthews from recency bias without looking at their overall body of work. its really close

Joe n

Aug 12, 2019
Drai is better at puck protection, playmaking, and has better vision. Both are great players but saying Drai is better at basically nothing shows how well you actually know hockey, or just how biased you are.
How is he better at puck protection. If anything they are equal.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
Drai's numbers are greatly inflated by playing with McDavid. on a non McDavid team, he is a 80 point player, which is pretty good. To put into perspective, imagine Matthews playing alongside McDavid.
I think you're selling Draisaitl a bit short. In the COVID-shortened season, he had 110 points mainly on a line with RNH and Yamamoto. He's definitely regressed this year though so it's hard to say what kind of numbers he'd have without McDavid based on this year alone.

Lol does Draisaitl come with McDavid?
Only if Matthews comes with Marner and/or Nylander.

• Haha
Reactions: Three On Zero

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024
Ultimately that was my math too

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Draisiatl is heavily carried by another center, requiring stacking a line as opposed to playing natural positions. Matthews has proven to be the better 2way player and doesn’t need to be sheltered by a better player for elite production

Reactions: Voight

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Better career to date - Draisaitl
Better playoffs - Draisaitl by a LOT. Phenomenal come playoffs

I still voted Matthews, but it's close.

My rationale is - I love the way he's been great since day 1 and improving. Up until last season (slight off year), his ppg and gpg improved every single year, it's a hell of an upwards trajectory - and that usually bodes well for continued longevity/consistency in his career.

Draisaitl has also never been #1 on a team. He's always #2 to McDavid. It doesn't mean he's not capable of being #1, but having not seem him as a #1, there's always going to be a few lingering questions there.

It's very close though. Draisaitl's playoff record is hard to pass up

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad