Post-Game Talk: Post July 1st Talk

If Florida lands only Bobrovksy and not Panarin, will you consider today a failure?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

geisterpanthers

Feb 7, 2018
Germany
'As I mentioned in another thread it's Hoffmann + Conolly + 3-4 Mio in cap room vs. Panarin.

If they manage to add another decent player (defender) for that (or more) money I will really love how that worked out.

It's hockey, not the NBA , I will always prefer having 3 above average players compared to having one star.

How do you guys like Sekera, I'd love to see him on the Panthers.

Panthers Propaganda

We're a team
Oct 28, 2015
Canada
1. "if". Experts and fans also hyped similarly highly touted goalies like Jack Campbell and Zach Fucale into greatness.
2. Tallon passed York, Caufield, Newhook and especially Krebs, who was a consensus top 10 pick. If they become what they are projected they will spend their ELC years in the NHL. Tallon could've drafted goalie in previous or later draft year who would've fit the time frame better. The way this has played out is a total disaster for Florida.
3. Knight will probably start in the AHL, and that will burn years off his ELC when Florida could actually benefit from that. And he will have to compete with Bobrovsky.

If everything goes to plan with Knight, then Bobrovsky still has 3-4 years remaining on his contract, what you're going to do about that? Sit 10M goalie on the bench? What a waste.

“I’m trying to move out bad contracts so I can give out some more tomorrow.” -Dale Tallon

Thanks, for the edit on calling me naive and stupid ;) How ungentlemanly.

Anyways, all I am saying is it is difficult to pass on the consensus “best goalie in years,” when our depth chart in the position is garbage and Bobrovsky was still an uncertainty. We see Knight in maybe 5 years, maybe, at which point he and Bobrovksy share the crease.

Let’s not forget he models his game after the man and grew up inspired by him. Now they are on the same team, ain’t that a dandy?

Scouting has come a long ways since Campbell, for the very reasons you cite. Solidifying the pipeline with a bonafide goalie prospect is what can save us in the future from dropping big money on a FA goalie, such is our current plight.

Last edited:
Reactions: Little Bobby Boo

Lundell4Prez

Yandle = Bad
Jul 5, 2008
Connolly 4 years @ 3.5 and Bob 7 years at 9.5

What does that leave us with? Probably not possible to get Panarin… They'll probably go for Stralman now

jvr32

Oct 24, 2016
Thanks, for the edit on calling me naive and stupid ;) How ungentlemanly.

Anyways, all I am saying is it is difficult to pass on the consensus “best goalie in years,” when our depth chart in the position is garbage and Bobrovsky was still an uncertainty. We see Knight in maybe 5 years, maybe, at which point he and Bobrovksy share the crease.

Let’s not forget he models his game after the man and grew up inspired by him. Now they are on the same team, ain’t that a dandy?

Scouting has come a long ways since Campbell, for the very reasons you cite. Solidifying the pipeline with a bonafide goalie prospect is what can save us in the future from dropping big money on a FA goalie, such is our current plight.
Knight wants to paid too when he's RFA, if everything goes right. This is not good enough.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
1. "if". Experts and fans also hyped similarly highly touted goalies like Jack Campbell and Zach Fucale into greatness.
2. Tallon passed York, Caufield, Newhook and especially Krebs, who was a consensus top 10 pick. If they become what they are projected they will spend their ELC years in the NHL. Tallon could've drafted goalie in previous or later draft year who would've fit the time frame better. The way this has played out is a total disaster for Florida.
3. Knight will probably start in the AHL, and that will burn years off his ELC when Florida could actually benefit from that. And he will have to compete with Bobrovsky.

If everything goes to plan with Knight, then Bobrovsky still has 3-4 years remaining on his contract, what you're going to do about that? Sit 10M goalie on the bench? What a waste.

“I’m trying to move out bad contracts so I can give out some more tomorrow.” -Dale Tallon

A top goalie in the league can always be traded. You're telling me there would be no takers for Price if they retain a couple million in salary? We can retain a couple mil, and we would definitely have at least one suitor willing to take him off our hands.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
'As I mentioned in another thread it's Hoffmann + Conolly + 3-4 Mio in cap room vs. Panarin.

If they manage to add another decent player (defender) for that (or more) money I will really love how that worked out.

It's hockey, not the NBA , I will always prefer having 3 above average players compared to having one star.

How do you guys like Sekera, I'd love to see him on the Panthers.

No to Sekera. I like Edler.

PBPantherfan

Feb 7, 2010
Lake Worth, FL
Am I the only one scared of the Bob contract? I'm really excited to have an elite goaltender for 3-4 years moving forward, but years 5-7 are going to really hurt with a 10M goaltender who might (will probably) be on the decline.

Lu was fine until this year and Bob is just as much as a nut about staying in shape as Lu was maybe more so. I think he will be fine until 38. Plus everything I’ve heard about Knight is they expect him to be ready in 3-4 years so hopefully thats the tandem we are running with for a few years, and Knight will lighten the load for Bob in the last few years of that contract before he takes over.

Montana41

Dec 29, 2013
Having a “problem” of Bobrovsky and Knight 3-4 years down the road is a tolerable and largely enviable one to have. There aren’t more than a handful of teams that have that type of misfortune ;) Between Coach Q instituting a responsible defensive structure while allowing the top lines to create and fly AND a very much above-average PP, this team will make some noise now with Bobs backstopping and providing confidence and security.

Everblades13

May 24, 2016
Having a “problem” of Bobrovsky and Knight 3-4 years down the road is a tolerable and largely enviable one to have.
Yes, somebody in the other thread asked what do you do if Knight ends up being a Gibson or Hart caliber kid, which I thought was a funny way to present that as a problem.

jvr32

Oct 24, 2016
A top goalie in the league can always be traded. You're telling me there would be no takers for Price if they retain a couple million in salary? We can retain a couple mil, and we would definitely have at least one suitor willing to take him off our hands.
There's not that many openings and Bobrovsky will also probably get NMC/NTC like Price does. Meaning they can't be traded unless they want. It's very difficult to trade goalies making this kind of money.

jvr32

Oct 24, 2016
Having a “problem” of Bobrovsky and Knight 3-4 years down the road is a tolerable and largely enviable one to have. There aren’t more than a handful of teams that have that type of misfortune ;) Between Coach Q instituting a responsible defensive structure while allowing the top lines to create and fly AND a very much above-average PP, this team will make some noise now with Bobs backstopping and providing confidence and security.
Also it's going to be even harder to watch the players in the NHL who Tallon passed for Knight (Krebs/Caufield/Newhook/York). They will make quicker impact and don't have to compete with a player making about 10 million for the only spot in the lineup.

Flooven

Nov 21, 2018
SoFla
As disappointing as it is, missing out on Panarin for $12-13m doesn't sound all too bad. We get to keep Hoff and the 36 goals he gives us, and add some depths to our bottom 6 which is much needed. I just hope we add another piece whether it's a forward or dman. We were promised an aggresive offseason, yet we have a boatload of prospects/picks just sitting in the bank.

Reactions: taylor16

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
I would worry about a potential Bob v Knight debate when you know Knight actually proves he belongs in the NHL.

This board was nuts over Markstrom, and well, it only took him close to a decade to become a serviceable goalie for another team.

Not saying Knight is destined to suck, but he's a prospect, a very good one, but not a can't miss player either.

Reactions: klabob and jvr32

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
As disappointing as it is, missing out on Panarin for $12-13m doesn't sound all too bad. We get to keep Hoff and the 36 goals he gives us, and add some depths to our bottom 6 which is much needed. I just hope we add another piece whether it's a forward or dman. We were promised an aggresive offseason, yet we have a boatload of prospects/picks just sitting in the bank.

But then you should be looking at 2020 offseason where you have neither Hoff or Panarin on the roster, and I'd bet the market is worse next season than this.

Maybe Tippett explodes and shows potential he's ready for 30 goal seasons by then.

Flooven

Nov 21, 2018
SoFla
But then you should be looking at 2020 offseason where you have neither Hoff or Panarin on the roster, and I'd bet the market is worse next season than this.

Maybe Tippett explodes and shows potential he's ready for 30 goal seasons by then.

Also the issue with getting a top4 Dman. We'll lose him to Seattle.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Also the issue with getting a top4 Dman. We'll lose him to Seattle.

A 2 year vet doesnt' seem like the worst idea currently.

What would you do BB? Would you offer Panarin $13m per? That would be $23 million for two players, with $2 million to get our RFAs signed, which would leave us zero room to add a Dman, unless we move Hoffman. I REALLY want Panarin, but at some point, you have to draw the line. With Panarin, we lose Hoffman, and add a D, but without him, we add depth to the bottom six, a Dman or two, and keep Hoffman. And I think one of Dadonov and Hoffman will be re-signed, doubt we lose both.

It really doesn't sound like 13M for Panarin, aren't the Islanders expected to be in the 12M range and you have the tax benefit?
Even as crazy as the Bob contract now seems he's coming under the worst case scenario numbers if 9.5M are true.
Price set the money last year to 10.5M and getting Bob for 1M less from UFA market is a + on it's way.

I've kept saying I'd go after Panarin+ Bob+ veterab D-man while trading Hoffman for futures to make sure in few years you can regularly push quality ELC's into the roster and avoid where Jets/Toronto are today.
I had the max money at 21-22M combined for Panarin+ Bob.

This team needs to stop messing with it's potential and start winning, nobody will change it better than Panarin from the market. He wins games and sells tickets.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ

What would you do BB? Would you offer Panarin $13m per? That would be $23 million for two players, with $2 million to get our RFAs signed, which would leave us zero room to add a Dman, unless we move Hoffman. I REALLY want Panarin, but at some point, you have to draw the line. With Panarin, we lose Hoffman, and add a D, but without him, we add depth to the bottom six, a Dman or two, and keep Hoffman. And I think one of Dadonov and Hoffman will be re-signed, doubt we lose both.

Edit: and with Panarin, we are again putting too much strain on our top six, because our bottom six will consist of 4th liners, and inexperienced rookies/youngsters. If we can add a couple of pieces to the 3rd line, and a Dman, it makes our team more complete. BUT...I wouldnt mind if we end up getting Panarin lol.

Last edited:

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
There's not that many openings and Bobrovsky will also probably get NMC/NTC like Price does. Meaning they can't be traded unless they want. It's very difficult to trade goalies making this kind of money.

If he's not wanted, he'll likely agree to a trade, especially if he's being benched. Other teams have had big contracts like this and moved them. Relax and breathe guys.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania

Tippett should be ready in a year. Also, Hoff and Dadonov can be re-signed. Why can't they?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Tippett should be ready in a year. Also, Hoff and Dadonov can be re-signed. Why can't they?

Because if there's 1 thing I learned from Chia it's that.

We all know the end of Bobs contract carries a risk, a lot of it.
You really don't want to have 3 really expensive +30y longterm contracts on players past their prime at the same time, especially when it comes time to re-sign Barkov/Huberdeau/Trocheck.

Really against signing those contracts for non elite/Franchise talents.

We could be looking at 10M raise for Barkov on his contract by that time.

Reactions: taylor16

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Because if there's 1 thing I learned from Chia it's that.

We all know the end of Bobs contract carries a risk, a lot of it.
You really don't want to have 3 really expensive +30y longterm contracts on players past their prime at the same time, especially when it comes time to re-sign Barkov/Huberdeau/Trocheck.

We could be looking at 10M raise for Barkov on his contract by that time.

We were willing to re-sign Dads and sign Panarin to an even bigger contract than Bobrovsky. Why can't we re-sign Hoffman then?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
We were willing to re-sign Dads and sign Panarin to an even bigger contract than Bobrovsky. Why can't we re-sign Hoffman then?

Panarin is a franchise talent, and currently in his mid prime, Hoffman will be 3 years older when his contract starts, and he's clearly not at Panarins level.
Panarins contract of course carries a risk, but not as much as Hoffmans.

I noticed I left it from my post and edited too late, not a fan of longterm contracts to +30y non elite/franchise players.
How often do they end well?

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Really against signing those contracts for non elite/Franchise talents.

Be all you want but at the end of the day teams have to sign those contract due to unreliable rookies. If Tippett, for an instance, goes onto a ppg pace in the AHL this season that doesn't mean a whole lot in the NHL. He's gotta be able e.g. to rely on his teammates more in order to create scoring chances rather than on his skating ability for breakthrough attempts. Quite frankly, I don't trust any of the rookies to replace guys like Dadonov and Hoffman just because they had a good season or two in Springfield. Dale will back in the marketplace to find similar guys if Tippett and Noel don't find success right of the bat in the NHL. Not to mention Borg who's still yet to prove himself in the NHL.

Reactions: RainingRats
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad