Post-Hak: Will the Flyers Make the Playoffs This Season?

Will the Flyers make the playoffs this season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Here4ThaLids

“Sunshine has always been our enemy.”
Sep 28, 2018
Dave Hakstol has been fired and the body is still warm. Scott Gordon has been named Interim but has yet to coach a game for the big team. Carter Hart has been called up but likewise has seen no action yet. Chuck Fletcher has yet to make a trade. In this pivotal moment, do you think the Flyers will make the playoffs this season?

For reference, the team has 28 points in 31 games, good for last in the conference; this projects to a 74-point season. Assuming 94 points as a rough threshold for the second wild card (it varies from year to year, of course), they would need to play at a 106-point pace the rest of the way, starting immediately.

Magua

Doer of Hoffific Things
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
In this pivotal moment, do you think the Flyers will make the playoffs this season?

5bfdbaee68c5e.image.jpg

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I've thought all along, since about early 2017-18, that this team's true talent level was around 100-105 points. So I think it's doable. If Fletch can make some tweaks, Hart can hold down the fort and Gordon can improve the special teams the way he did in LHV, we got a good shot.

Reactions: Here4ThaList

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I've thought all along, since about early 2017-18, that this team's true talent level was around 100-105 points. So I think it's doable. If Fletch can make some tweaks, Hart can hold down the fort and Gordon can improve the special teams the way he did in LHV, we got a good shot.

That's awfully optimistic with these goals, and the imbalance in the front 9 and the defense.
I think you'd have to do the following to be a 100-105 point team
1) find a real goalie, .915+
2) make a trade for a veteran RHD
3) make a trade for a fast RW to pair with Patrick

I'd say as currently constructed, with .900 S% goalies, they're an 85-90 point team with any coach.
Look what happened to Q in Chicago when Crawford went down.
Get them a real goalie and they might be a 95-100 point team, anything more requires roster reconstruction.
To get above 100 points you have to beat good teams on a regular basis.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I watch the Golden Knights on a regular basis and if you keep Gallant and Fleury and switch rosters otherwise, it's pretty clear the Vegas would be much improved. Vegas just plays a much more aggressive and proactive system that makes their team look very very fast and dangerous on every shift. Like, Carrier-Bellemare-Reaves wouldn't make the Flyers roster at all, and they're contributing heavily, even on the scoreboard.

I love Marchessault and the top line for Vegas is great but it's not a match for Giroux-Coots-Konecny. They haven't had a No. 2 center all season because Stastny's been out. Cody Eakin is a 3C-4C in real life but he's been fine. Gallant maximizes their talent in a manner that hasn't happened here since 2012.

The Flyers were, on paper, a match for the Capitals last season and beat them pretty handily in the regular season, and they were more talented last season than the team they beat in the Finals. Any normal coach gets 105 points out of them last year, literally every member of this board, if being honest, can find 7-12 points Hakstol pissed away.

Last edited:
Reactions: Here4ThaList

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I watch the Golden Knights on a regular basis and if you keep Gallant and Fleury and switch rosters otherwise, it's pretty clear the Vegas would be much improved. Vegas just plays a much more aggressive and proactive system that makes their team look very very fast and dangerous on every shift. Like, Carrier-Bellemare-Reaves wouldn't make the Flyers roster at all, and they're contributing heavily, even on the scoreboard.

I love Marchessault and the top line for Vegas is great but it's not a match for Giroux-Coots-Konecny. They haven't had a No. 2 center all season because Stastny's been out. Cody Eakin is a 3C-4C in real life but he's been fine. Gallant maximizes their talent in a manner that hasn't happened here since 2012.

The Flyers were, on paper, a match for the Capitals last season and beat them pretty handily in the regular season, and they were more talented last season than the team they beat in the Finals. Any normal coach gets 105 points out of them last year, literally every member of this board, if being honest, can find 7-12 points Hakstol pissed away.

You can find 10 points that any coach pissed away, just read other teams' message boards.
We weren't close to the Caps talentwise, we had a hobbled rookie and Filppula as our 2C and 3C.
Last four years for the Caps, 101, 120, 118, 105, They were a really good team.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
That's awfully optimistic with these goals, and the imbalance in the front 9 and the defense.

I'd say as currently constructed, with .900 S% goalies, they're an 85-90 point team with any coach.
Get them a real goalie and they might be a 95-100 point team, anything more requires roster reconstruction.
While I don't think the team will make the playoffs this year, I don't think 100-105 points was an optimistic estimate.

Last year, with the same team minus JVR, this team put up 98 points. Coupled with the expected improvents of the young roster players, it isn't a big stretch to except 2-7 more points.

Reactions: DaphneLion

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
It will take 92-93 points to have a decent playoff chance... which means .686 hockey or better for the rest of the season. I.E. 113 point pace or so... so playing like one of the best ~3 teams in league for rest of year.

Now they have so far had some of the worst luck of any team since PDO started being recorded. So would expect finish year with better pt percentage than have now. But they have to play right to the top of the teams potential to have a chance.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
It will take 92-93 points to have a decent playoff chance... which means .686 hockey or better for the rest of the season. I.E. 113 point pace or so... so playing like one of the best ~3 teams in league for rest of year.

Now they have so far had some of the worst luck of any team since PDO started being recorded. So would expect finish year with better pt percentage than have now. But they have to play right to the top of the teams potential to have a chance.

and even if they do make it, imagine how brutally tired they will be especially carter hart after playing 51 straight games. Oh wait Hak is no longer coaching.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Harhis

Oct 30, 2017
Finland

You had no problem with top6/9's balance last season. It's funny how the goal posts move for what ever fits your narrative.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Last season it took 97 points to make that playoffs. That was fairly high but it's probably going to take 95 points or more this season which won't be easy this year considering every team in the division is still in the hunt.

Can anyone really imagine a realistic situation where this team goes 32-16-3 to finish the season?

Reactions: Hakroach

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Yes, there's one "realistic" situation, Carter Hart has an amazing stretch.
A .920+ S% goalie could probably carry this team into the playoffs if he can play 45 of the next 51 games without breaking down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->