Post-Game Talk: Post Game and 3 Stars : 2/7/13 : DET @ STL

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
Difficult game to pick 3 stars, had a lot of guys with good games.

Mrazek played pretty well, liked how aggressive he was in handling the puck- I think that helped the D a few times in clearing the zone. In general, the team played better in front of him than they have for Howard, so maybe starting him was a message to the whole team (which I believe one of our insightful and probably better looking posters mentioned pre-game ;)).

Cleary scoring made for one of the funniest GDT's I've read- still think we have better options than him for the 3rd line, but you know the old saying... even a blind turd finds a nut every once in a while.

WAY too many turnovers inside the Wings zone, both by D and forwards. Anytime Kronwall wants to stop throwing blind passes from behind the net into the slot to the other team, I'm fine with. Yikes.

I liked the physicality the Wings showed. Pretty funny seeing E ragdoll one of the Blues in the scrum after Mule speared Perron- looked like a dad picking up his little kid. Would have liked to see someone/anyone step in early when Datsyuk was getting the business from Backes and co. Tootoo won't be on the ice in those situations, so maybe it's time for E to regulate a little frontier justice.

Nose update- Brunner knows where to go to score goals, and he's creating chances too (he'd have a pretty fair assist total if his linemates could finish what he's creating). He's not flashy, but just steady and knows what do in the offensive zone. Impressed so far.

Gotta love Tatar making it more difficult to for Kenny to send him back to GR (notice I said "more difficult" and not "impossible"). He's sparked the 3rd line in a major way, and I REALLY, REALLY hope that he stays there, as he's the best guy to assume a top 6 spot if one of the wingers go down to an injury.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Killing penalties is taught, that's on Babcock or whatever coach attempts to teach it in practice. It's not like the PK is good anyways. Helm is the PK and has been for a while now.

You don't ignore having good penalty killers just because the penalty kill isn't very good. You need the players to play better in those situations. Reducing the amount of penalty killers makes the problem worse.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
You don't ignore having good penalty killers just because the penalty kill isn't very good. You need the players to play better in those situations. Reducing the amount of penalty killers makes the problem worse.
Secondary scoring is a bigger issue, I'm reserving judgement for a couple games on the 3rd and 4th line putting up points like they did last night.

You can teach Emmerton, Sheahan, Abs to PK. Hustle and discipline is what makes a PK. Discipline is taught. Hustle isn't.

*You aren't going to teach old dogs that are on the team new tricks. You can teach the new dogs that are chomping at the bit though.

Last edited:

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Secondary scoring is a bigger issue, I'm reserving judgement for a couple games on the 3rd and 4th line putting up points like they did last night.

You can teach Emmerton, Sheahan, Abs to PK. Hustle and discipline is what makes a PK. Discipline is taught. Hustle isn't.

*You aren't going to teach old dogs that are on the team new tricks. You can teach the new dogs that are chomping at the bit though.

Not right now you can't. This season is not the time to experiment with the PK since there is almost zero time to practice and there wasn't a proper training camp. It would've been more feasible in a usual regular season.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Or we could cut down on the stupid as hell penalties we take. Kronwall, Cleary, Quincey, being the biggest offenders so far this year. Taking stupid penalties all over the place at the worst times.

Aug 6, 2012
Not right now you can't. This season is not the time to experiment with the PK since there is almost zero time to practice and there wasn't a proper training camp. It would've been more feasible in a usual regular season.

Didn't we just have 4 days off? I think you can slowly improve it.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

Not advocating JDrake's lineup, but with how poor our PK has been I'm not sure how much it'd hurt us to experiment a bit. I thought Tatar was a regular PKer in GR. Sheahan was at ND and I assume he does it at GR. Gator and Emmerton have been killing penalties. I'd even give Nyquist a look if he's up.

I thought GR is supposed to use the same system as the Wings, and a number of these guys have been doing it for a bit now. If we're noticeably stronger at ES, I'd at least roll the dice a few times with the PK just to see what we have.

RedWingsNow*

Excuses.
IMO, now's the best time to do it.
Our regular PK forwards aren't "experts."
PK is just hard work, smarts and sacrifice

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad