Post-Game Talk: Post Game and 3 Stars : 2/7/13 : DET @ STL

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
GDT---St-Louis_05.gif
anunnaki-babylon-carving-01.jpg

After some research it turn out that the image of Daniel Cleary is actually an earth-toned Sumerian energy helmet. Thanks for assisting him getting that goal.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Random question, with Howard having a tough start, is Mrazek going to get a good share of starts if he plays like he did tonight?

Deciding on whether to pick him up in a pool :laugh:

Very, very unlikely. I suppose it's possible though. I wouldn't pick him up unless it's a very, very deep pool or you're very, very desperate.

StormSurge9

Aug 9, 2009
Guelph, ONT
1. Mrazek is the obvious choice, wasn't tested a lot, but still a near perfect debut.

2. Emmerton - Last season I wanted this guy as far away from this team as possible. This season he has actually been much more effective in his role. Good to see him come through with a good game stats wise.

3. Tatar - Basically I just loved the game he brought. His speed and puck carrying ability was most welcome.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Random question, with Howard having a tough start, is Mrazek going to get a good share of starts if he plays like he did tonight?

Deciding on whether to pick him up in a pool :laugh:

No need to kid ourselves here, really happy to have him but he's gonna be in the minors once we're healthy, as he should. Can probably bank on him getting at least one more start this weekend though.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I'd like to see a line of Tatar Helm and Tootoo.

Exactly. If we ever need a jump/ spark, send those guys out. I'm sure Babs will typically have Samuelsson and Cleary on the 3rd line, with Tootoo on the 4th line, but if Tatar is still up he should send them out to bang and forecheck and buzz around the net.

Last edited:

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
This one was tough for the voting.

Several of the kids and new guys all looked great: Tatartot, Emmerton, Kindl, Brunner, and Mrazek, of course.

Fil was solid, and what a fantastic head's up play on that last goal.

I didn't scream once at any of the defensemen during the game.

I liked the chemistry I saw between Tatar and Cleary. It seemed the youngster has some good playmaking instincts and just seems to know how to feed this old man. Noice.

Energy guys were good too.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
Only guy I screamed at a couple of times was Kronwall, overall a good effort

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
So an entirely different Wings team showed up! Awesome.

Well they are showing flashes of being a respectable club, but they need to string together at least 4 solid games before I feel like they can hang with the big boys this year.

And Hitchcock's press conference was great. He's not a happy camper.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

I know he has his naysayers, but I think he's having a solid season so far. He's only getting 8-10 minutes a night, but he's coming along. If he can slide into the score column a little more often he'll be a nice bottom line player.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
I know he has his naysayers, but I think he's having a solid season so far. He's only getting 8-10 minutes a night, but he's coming along. If he can slide into the score column a little more often he'll be a nice bottom line player.

If Sammy ever gets back, I'd almost like to see a line of Tatar-Emmerton-Sammy for a third line with more of a scoring touch.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net

He's bolstering his trade value, at this point, and he'd likely have a bigger role on a different team.

I have to say, Franzen is still a freaking enigma, man. People say he's working hard this season, but I just don't see it. He has spurts where he gets angry or whatever, then the other 16 minutes per game he's benefiting from the hard work of his linemates.

Quincey is also benefiting from everyone else on the ice, because he's still making really boneheaded plays and coughing up the puck, yet has the highest plus/minus of all defensemen at +6... add to that the fact that he doesn't have any points, and maybe you'll see where I'm coming from.

Last night was kinda rough for Ericsson, but I love how he's progressed and stepped up this year. I was one of his biggest detractors last season (and the one before), but man, I'm glad he's proving me wrong.

It looks like Lashoff is getting a bit more comfortable back there and starting to play more physical, which is what the Wings desperately need.

Kindl, while still a bit shaky, is playing well enough to keep a spot. I'd much rather sit Quincey and play Kindl and Huskins just to see what happens.

I have an idea for the next GDT... I'll have to look up who's doing it, but I may ask for a collaboration.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
For all the fights Jordin Tootoo has had, he only holds a slim 1 PIM lead over.... Johan Franzen...

Yea that Franzen sure is undisciplined this season. With his 2 minor penalties, plus one 25PIM incident.

If you're going to make that comparison, make it with Cleary.

crashman

Mrazek is big and plays a small style. Howard is smaller but plays a big style.

Isn't Mrazek 6'?

Him a Jimmy are about the same size, but it seems very hard to get accurate height stats on athletes.

crashman

So an entirely different Wings team showed up! Awesome.

Well they are showing flashes of being a respectable club, but they need to string together at least 4 solid games before I feel like they can hang with the big boys this year.

And Hitchcock's press conference was great. He's not a happy camper.

"...end of press conference."

I like his style.

It's a shame he put the weight back on, he was looking slim(er) last year.

Probert

Feb 27, 2008
Boston, MA
This one was tough for the voting.

Several of the kids and new guys all looked great: Tatartot, Emmerton, Kindl, Brunner, and Mrazek, of course.

Fil was solid, and what a fantastic head's up play on that last goal.

I didn't scream once at any of the defensemen during the game.

I liked the chemistry I saw between Tatar and Cleary. It seemed the youngster has some good playmaking instincts and just seems to know how to feed this old man. Noice.

Energy guys were good too.

This sums it up nicely I think. :handclap:

I voted for Mrazek, Tatar, and Emmerton. It's great to see "the kids" step up and play as well as they did. The Blues didn't bring their A game, but the Wings deserve much credit for taking it to them all the same. Mrazek was solid in net, and credit goes to the entire team for the way they played in front of him.

Emmerton showed some good hands and hockey sense on his goal, and hounded the puck. Tatar made some really nifty plays and displayed some really good skating out there - he worked his tail off and had good chemistry with Cleary.

I thought Kindl had a solid game as well, and I was happy to see him tap that offensive potential and continue to make/setup plays. Lashoff wasn't flawless but he was solid.

For years I've griped that the Wings let their young talent ferment in Grand Rapids for far too long, while long-in-the-tooth veterans continue to play well past the point where I think they should retire. While I fully understand that injuries have forced the issue, I'm absolutely ecstatic that the Wings put a thorough beating on the Blues while giving significant ice time to a very young, talented squad. The kids showed that they can play, and they showed that they can step up in big games.

I want this lineup to keep playing together. I want Babs to treat our veterans the same way he treats the kids: when they're no longer injured they'll have to earn their ice time by playing better than the kids. Unfortunately that won't happen due to roster size limit and the one-way contracts that will force the issue.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Isn't Mrazek 6'?

Him a Jimmy are about the same size, but it seems very hard to get accurate height stats on athletes.

Who knows what he is exactly, Eliteprospects usually update from time to time they have him at 187cm(6'1½). Detroit lists him as 6'1.

Goalie styles can be decieving when it comes to their height. Main reason Petr doesn't look big (apart from having just around average goalie height) is because he's still very slight.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
KH should really consider moving the young guys from GR to the Wings sooner. Tatar has really good speed and can keep the puck on his stick. Him and Nyquist should have been regulars this season.

The lines I'd like to see:

Brunner - Zetterberg - Filppula
Nyquist - Datysuk - Tatar
Bertuzzi - Sheahan - Franzen
Tootoo - Emmerton - Abdelkader

Substitute Cleary for Gator if you want. One game isn't going to change my mind on Cleary though.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
The lines I'd like to see:

Brunner - Zetterberg - Filppula
Nyquist - Datysuk - Tatar
Bertuzzi - Sheahan - Franzen
Tootoo - Emmerton - Abdelkader

Substitute Cleary for Gator if you want. One game isn't going to change my mind on Cleary though.

Not enough penalty killers. I think if we're adding Nyquist, we need to lose Bertuzzi for someone else more versatile, especially if Bertuzzi is on the 3rd line.

Last edited:

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Not enough penalty killers.
Killing penalties is taught, that's on Babcock or whatever coach attempts to teach it in practice hah. It's not like the PK is good anyways. Helm is the PK and has been for a while now.

I don't know why but saying PK and taught reminded me of the PP. I was watching highlights of Chicago game last night. My God is their PP textbook.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad