Post-Game Talk: Post Game and 3 Stars : 2/10/13 : LAK @ DET

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Just saw a replay. Glad I did because I can't trust you guys with an accurate description! :)

Domination by LA? Give me a break, never in the game. The reason the shots were so high was the 2nd (23- 9) with multiple LA powerplays and shots on net. Other than that it was a good paced, even game through 3 periods. Babcock rolled all 4 lines properly and the Wings looked fresh throughout.

Howard was solid but nothing new from what we've seen this season, IMO. A lot of the shots were low and his positioning was superb. The save on Brown in the 1st was outstanding, there were several key saves but the majority were saves Howard was supposed to have. Good he has a competent partner in Mrazek. I always hear goalies need to be inspired/challenged by their backup, so true in this situation.

Our D is...I don't know. I guess the good plays they make outweigh the terrible mistakes, we're winning so it's a success. Under inspection I realize a team like Detroit built on defensive intelligence is handicapped to our true potential. Yea it's great Lashoff and Q can dump the puck out of the zone but what would be possible having more elite D? White is still my favorite defenseman. I'm offended Lashoff stole #23. It better be because he idolizes Stuart and not he thinks he could fill those skates.

Andersson is cool. Nothing exceptional and like the D, horrible giveaways but then some great passes and rumbling around the net. I like how he bulldozes to the crease, that type of play CAN work. He had a great chance (in the 3rd ?)I remember. Not necessary to the team but he can be proud of his game.

Some thoughts I had in the periods:

1st- Glad Doughty got Pavel pissed off with that headhunting check. Guy scores a few minutes later... I wouldn't recommend the opposition ruffle Datsyuk's feathers, he's dangerous enough withought being provoked! Cleary is an idiot for accepting a role he doesn't fit, shouldn't be in the top 6. He caused the chance by Brown with a stupid delayed dump in and then pass that failed. The LA goal in the last minute was 100% Cleary. He makes a weak backhand along the boards to Kopitar and then lost coverage going to the net. As he fell he knocked down Howard, it was beyond pathetic!

3rd- Awesome last PP for the Wings when Franzen hit the crossbar. That shift was domination! :yo: and then...Miller! WTF! Has an easy opportunity to clear the puck. After scrambling and finally getting it out it looks like the Wings are changing...Miller is still out there! I already knew the outcome (after reading here) and was angry when I saw he hadn't got off and then tips the puck to their point. Very annoying, but same thing he had enough "good" plays to outweigh the clumsiness. I read here someone said give Cleary credit for Big E's goal? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: The dirty ******* fell down behind the net. We can thank Drew Doughty though. He got hooked up a bit and weakly bounced the puck to Ericsson. Judgement!

Datsyuk is the 1st star, like 90% of the games. All the takeaways and pressure, backchecking defensively. Offensively that wicked stutter shot and his passes (area passes), creativity, out of this world. You have to watch closely to realize how superb a hockey player he is and how lucky Hockeytown is to have the Magician in Michigan!

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
1st- Glad Doughty got Pavel pissed off with that headhunting check. Guy scores a few minutes later... I wouldn't recommend the opposition ruffle Datsyuk's feathers, he's dangerous enough withought being provoked!

I also figured that Pavel getting drilled would get him going in the game, but you can't say that check was anything but fantastic. D walked past Martinez but put himself in a vulnerable spot, and Doughty did exactly what I'd hope that E would do to Toews, Kane, etc if he had a goal scorer dead to rights- plant him on the ice with extreme prejudice.

Here's the thing about that play, and I'm not sure if it's been brought up- Datsyuk getting drilled was 100% Quincey's fault. The first thing I noticed with that play was an easy 2 on 1 negated when a Wing went down at center ice as Pavel lugged the puck into the zone. At first I figured it was a trip or interference, but after backing up the game a bit... sure enough, it was just Q tripping over his own skates, completely untouched, at the red line. :shakehead

Granted, that could have happened to anyone on the team, but it was kind of symbolic that it was Q who tripped over the red line. So, instead of Datsyuk serving one on a platter to Q in a 2 on 1 (which he would have shot wide but whatever), D ends up getting blown up by Doughty b/c he had no one to pass to. Pavs was thinking the same thing I was after that play: Kyle f***ing Quincey!

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Linesman's hero. Jonathan Ericsson the savior. :yo:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/2013/02/10/nhl-jonathan-ericsson-goal-linesman-bladder/1907123/

One of the NHL on-ice officials in Sunday's game apparently was as happy that Detroit defenseman Jonathan Ericsson scored a game-winning goal with 4.5 seconds remaining as Red Wings fans were.

"The funniest thing is that one of the linesmen thanked me for scoring," Ericsson said. "He said, 'Thank you so much, I really have to go pee.' He wouldn't last overtime."

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I also figured that Pavel getting drilled would get him going in the game, but you can't say that check was anything but fantastic. D walked past Martinez but put himself in a vulnerable spot, and Doughty did exactly what I'd hope that E would do to Toews, Kane, etc if he had a goal scorer dead to rights- plant him on the ice with extreme prejudice.

Yeah, it was a perfectly clean hit. That's why it completely negated Datsyuk from the scoring chance but he was able to get out there for his next shift and score a goal. Kudos to Doughty for NOT head hunting. If he would have Pavel would be added to the long list of guys on the IR right now. It's too bad purported NHL fans don't know what a clean hit looks like. :shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad