Speculation: Post Full-Season Lockout All Star Team

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Curious to see how everyone would construct an All Star lineup from the 2005-06 season to the current one. The idea being to build a lineup assuming everyone is at their peak season during that timeframe. So longevity isn't important, but they can only play at the level they played at for your team.

My team:

Simon Gagné - Peter Forsberg - Mike Knuble
Jakub Voráček - Claude Giroux - Jaromir Jagr
Joffery Lupul - Danny Brière - Jeff Carter
Scott Hartnell - Mike Richards - Wayne Simmonds

Chris Pronger - Kim Johnsson
Kimmo Timonen - Joni Pitkänen
Matthew Carle - Braydon Coburn

Steve Mason
Michal Neuvirth

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
For me:

Scott Hartnell -- Claude Giroux -- Jakub Voráček
Simon Gagné -- Peter Forsberg -- Jeff Carter
Danny Brière -- Mike Richards -- Jaromir Jagr
Sami Kapanen -- Sean Couturier -- Wayne Simmonds
Mike Knuble
Michal Handzuš

Chris Pronger -- Kim Johnsson
Kimmo Timonen -- Brayden Coburn
Joni Pitkänen -- Éric Desjardins
Mark Streit

Steve Mason
Martin Biron

Reasoning on selection:

Knuble was not quite as good relative to era as Simmonds IMO, so misses out on RW and is an extra.
Lupul was good, but very one dimensional... I would rather have Kapanen at his best in a Flyers jersey post-lockout on my team.
Umberger was close but no cigar.

Carle was carried by Pronger. Too many mistakes for me to want him in my line-up.
Meszároš only just missed out to Streit as extra D... he was awesome at 5v5 at best but needed to be heavily shielded to have success. Del Zotto also was a thought for last season and so far this year... he has been great.

Mason is heads and shoulders above the competition. Biron is the only goalie apart from Mason with above average sv% for the years he played in when at best, he had two seasons back to back as a ~middling starter... he would be a fine backup. Bobrovsky may well be 3rd... Neuvirth is a really small sample as it stands.

Reasoning on lines:

#1: Giroux should be 1C... his 2011-12 and 2013-14 was better than Forsberg just after the lockout... not by much, but I think he was. Jake & Hartnell are Giroux's best ever line-mates and they all has real chemistry.

#2: Carter can play the Knuble role on the Forsberg & Gagne line that was lights out... it also gives Forsberg the best 2 pure goalscorers in the team on his wings. Peter would be in heaven... also that line is hellishly strong defensively.

#3: Richards at prime was a Selke candidate two way monster. Jagr's possession game and Briere's scoring would give that line a great foundation to dominate.

#4: Couturier may well be the best pure defensive centre the Flyers have had since the lockout... including Richards. Kapanen right after the lockout was probably the best defensive winger we had. And Simmonds gives them grit and board-work, as well as a net-front presence. Couturier has good chemistry with Simmonds as well.

Extras: Knuble could slot in on any line and bring grit and determination. Handzuš is another great center with awesome D, size and could also get points, could slot into the bottom six perfectly.

Pairing #1: Pronger is #1. No-brainer. Johnsson was still good in 2005-06, and could get it done in all zones, and play his off-side.

Pairing #2: Timonen is the 2nd best Dman on the back-end. Coburn and him had almost some symbiotic connection. Just so suited to each other.

Pairing #3: Pitkanen was great before he cracked up in the head. Desjardins was still great in the first season post-lockout, and is a righty.

Extra Dman: Mark Streit plays both sides and could fit on any pairing on paper.

cheesesteakarmor

Jul 18, 2009
For me:

#3: Richards at prime was a Selke candidate two way monster. Jagr's possession game and Briere's scoring would give that line a great foundation to dominate.

If I recall, in the 08 playoffs, Richards and Briere were on a line together, along with Darroll Powe.

I'm taking out Streit and putting in Jason Smith. Dude was one tough SoB. Scary defense.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Gagne - Forsberg - Voracek
Hartnell - Giroux - Jagr
Simmonds - Carter - Briere
Lupul - Richards - Knuble

(Tried to keep everyone in position -- had to finagle with Briere and Simmonds, but both did play RW and LW, respectively, at times.)

Pronger - Timonen
Pitkanen - Hatcher
Streit - Carle

(I left out Johnsson and Desjardins because they played only 40 games for the team in the era specified.)

Mason
Bobrovsky

Last edited:

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Gagne-Giroux-Voracek
Hartnell-Forsberg-Briere
Couturier-Richards-Carter
Laperriere-Talbot-Simmonds

Mike Knuble, Sami Kapanen

Line 1: All world talent, a prime Gagne today would make our current top line best in the NHL IMO. He's the perfect linemate for these 2. Can be deployed in any situation and put up a ton of points doing it.

Line 2: OFFENSE. All the offense. And some grittiness in there too. Briere was gritty in a different way but this line combo would be lethal. Ton's of cycling, offensive zone pressure, and scoring.

Line 3: Richards at his best was an 80 point Selke caliber Center who could dominate the dot, playing with another underrated 2 way beast with 40-50 goal scoring potential and his best bud, and finally Couturier to complete this defensive trio.

Line 4: A grittty hardnosed defensively responsible trio who can get under the opposing teams skin as well as play excellent defensively, on the PK and chip in here and there especially with Simmonds' offensive prowess.

Pronger - Gostisbehere
Timonen - Coburn
Pitkanen - Hatcher

Streit

Pairing 1: Yea I put Ghost there. Pronger could play with anyone. And Ghost is the best offensive defensemen we have had since Mark Howe. Better than Streit, better than Timonen, better than Carle, better than Pitkanen, better than Johnsson, better than Desjardins. Deal with it. Enjoy it.

Pairing 2: This is a no brainer, they were attached at the hip for 8 years in this 10 year sample size and the best defensive pairing we trotted out for many playoff runs

Pairing 3: Hatch's time here seems to be remembered as the old guard trying to adapt to the New NHL and never really doing so, but he was great here even with his old slow knees. There was STILL an intimidation factor and he was wicked smart. Joni is another no brainer.

Mason

Biron

Mason is the best goalie we have had in a long while and Biron was good for us as well. It's a shame he priced himself out of the market so terribly.

PensBrony 6 9*

Michael Raffl - Jonathan Matsumoto - Jason Akeson
Vinny Lecavalier - Petr Nedved - Mike York
Kris Versteeg - Patrick Sharp - James VanRiemsdyk
Dan Carcillo - Steve Downie - Zac Rinaldo
Nikolay Zherdev

Erik Gustafsson - Ryan Parent
Randy Jones - Andrej Meszaros
Matt Walker - Andrew MacDonald
Lasse Kukkonen

Michael Leighton
Ilya Bryzgalov