Speculation: Post Full-Season Lockout All Star Team

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Curious to see how everyone would construct an All Star lineup from the 2005-06 season to the current one. The idea being to build a lineup assuming everyone is at their peak season during that timeframe. So longevity isn't important, but they can only play at the level they played at for your team.

Brendan Shanahan - Pavel Datsuyk - Marian Hossa
Johan Franzen - Henrik Zetterberg - Mikael Samuelsson
Tomas Holmstrom - Robert Lang - Jiri Hudler
Daniel Cleary - Kris Draper - Todd Bertuzzi

Nicklas Lidstrom - Niklas Kronwall
Mathieu Schneider - Brian Rafalski
Jonathan Ericsson - Brad Stuart

Dominik Hasek
Jimmy Howard

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Shanahan-Datsyuk-Hossa
Franzen-Zetterberg-Nyquist
Tatar-Filppula-Hudler
Cleary-Yzerman-Helm

Lidstrom-Rafalski
Kronwall-Stuart
Schneider-Ericsson

Chex LeMeneux

May 4, 2014
Metro Detroit
The rules may need a bit of clarification. Can we include pre-lockout seasons for guys like Yzerman and Shanny? If not, as TZE said they'd probably still make it, but their spot on the depth chart would be drastically different. I'm also assuming, it's a player's best year with the Wings, otherwise Bertuzzi is definitely on the top line (and probably not on the list at all if limited to his Red Wings years lol).

Either way though, this is a fun little topic.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I did mine as best form between 05-06 to present seaaon

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Shanahan-Datsyuk-Hossa
Franzen-Zetterberg-Nyquist
Tatar-Filppula-Hudler
Cleary-Yzerman-Helm

Lidstrom-Rafalski
Kronwall-Stuart
Schneider-Ericsson

Yeah, I don't like the idea of taking prime Yzerman into account for an exercise like this. Feels like cheating. Your list looks pretty good, don't think I'd put 2006 Shanahan on the first line, but otherwise, yeah, p. good.

Chex LeMeneux

May 4, 2014
Metro Detroit

Hmm, if that's the case, I'd probably go with:

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Hossa
Shanahan-Yzerman-Franzen
Hudler-Filppula-Holmstrom
Cleary-Draper-Helm
Samuelsson

Not sure I like those line combos, but I wanted to keep certain pairs together (you can prolly figure out which ones). The defense would be the same as Frk It's. Weird to see Ericsson still there though. As for goalie's well Dom is obviously our number 1 lol

Edit: After looking at it, I may have to switch the middle two lines. Something like:

Hudler-Filppula-Franzen
Shanahan-Yzerman-Homer

Funny, it's 2015 and I'm still wondering if Filppula can hack it as a 2C

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Yeah, I don't like the idea of taking prime Yzerman into account for an exercise like this. Feels like cheating. Your list looks pretty good, don't think I'd put 2006 Shanahan on the first line, but otherwise, yeah, p. good.

Shanahan had 40 goals and 81 pts in 05-06

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Hmm, if that's the case, I'd probably go with:

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Hossa
Shanahan-Yzerman-Franzen
Hudler-Filppula-Holmstrom
Cleary-Draper-Helm
Samuelsson

Not sure I like those line combos, but I wanted to keep certain pairs together (you can prolly figure out which ones). The defense would be the same as Frk It's. Weird to see Ericsson still there though. As for goalie's well Dom is obviously our number 1 lol

Edit: After looking at it, I may have to switch the middle two lines. Something like:

Hudler-Filppula-Franzen
Shanahan-Yzerman-Homer

Funny, it's 2015 and I'm still wondering if Filppula can hack it as a 2C

For a season and a half or so Ericsson looked rock solid. Don't remember exactly when it was... 2ish years ago?

Was going to have Dekeyser and Schneider as my 3rd pair, but believe they are/were both LD. Tried to factor in stuff like that as best I could using memory.

Almost tempted to throw dinosaur Chelios as my 3rd RD lol, now that I think about it.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
i don't think Z-D-hossa would work. too many cooks in the kitchen, not enough puck for all of those.

Z-D-homer was still magical and hossa could do his magic better on some other line.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Calder-Lang-Williams
Kopecky-Emmerton-Bootland
Ellis-Mowers-Ritola
Langfeld-Hartigan-Downey

Lilja-Lebda
Meech-Cross
Woolley-Lashoff

Conklin
MacDonald

Grit up and down the lineup. Skill. A nice mix of youth and experience. Not elite goaltending but steady.

Chex LeMeneux

May 4, 2014
Metro Detroit
Z-D-homer was still magical and hossa could do his magic better on some other line.

True, it just felt weird putting Homer on the top line over all that talent lol. But ZDH was a pretty damn amazing line. Truth be told though, I was kinda operating under the assumption that Shanny couldn't play on the top line. Clearly I was wrong. In fact, I just looked it up and realized he played three more seasons after leaving. Mind=blown

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
:laugh: Damn. I didn't double check that at all, but I could have swore he had a much worse season than that. Man, I miss Shanny.

39 of those goals where handed to him on a plate by Datsyuk. I remember someone at the time commenting that it was the quietest 40 goal season in NHL history.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Good topic! :yo:

Henrik Zetterberg - Pavel Datsuyk - Tomas Holmstrom
Brendan Shanahan - Valtteri Filppula - Marian Hossa
Johan Franzen - Robert Lang - Jiri Hudler
Daniel Cleary - Kris Draper - Luke Glendening

Nicklas Lidstrom - Brian Rafalski
Niklas Kronwall - Brad Stuart
Mathieu Schneider - Jonathan Ericsson

Chris Osgood
Jimmy Howard

Explanations:

I didn't include Yzerman or Hasek because they were at the very end of their careers and were no longer close to the dominant players they were just a few years prior to the lockout. Shanny still had a little left in the tank so he makes the team. Osgood replaced Hasek in the 2008 playoffs and won a Cup, and the following year would have won the Conn Smythe if we were able to win back to back Cups. So you have to take Osgood over Hasek IMO.

I also built a real hockey club, not an All Star team. You could win a **** load of hockey games with this lineup. Filppula is your second line center as he's a passive playmaker who can play two-way hockey. Luke Glendening is on this team as he's much better at his role than Kirk Maltby was during the time frame covered. Cleary was once damn good in the role of a forechecker with some scoring touch.

That third line is all offense. They should feast in the offensive zone but you want to get them off the ice if you fear they'll get stuck in their own end.

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Shanahan-Yzerman-Franzen
Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom
Maltby-Draper-Mccarty
Nyquist-Filppula-Tatar

Lidstrom-Chelios
Kronwall-Rafalski
Schneider-Stuart

Hasek
Osgood