Post first round Top-10 NYR Prospects

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Kravtsov has a shot to be a superstar and so does Chytil.

How would we define "a shot"? I guess its possible, but do we really think its anywhere near likely that either ends up top 10 at their position in the league. I don't think so. I would say its unlikely, but possible.

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
Superstar is a really strong word. I think Chytil and Kravstov can both absolutely be top line offensive gems though.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
We still don’t have a clear cut star prospect which is our biggest need. I love Chytil but I’m not sure he’s that type of prospect. There’s no Keller or Barzal in that group. There’s no sergachev or McAvoy.

We’ve still got a lot of work to do.

I keep saying this. I don't think any of these guys are bad per-se. I think most of them project well, but it is disappointing how we've had 5 first rounders in the last two years, and we haven't come away with a prospect that is looking like that tier of prospect that you just named.

Reactions: Off Sides

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
I keep saying this. I don't think any of these guys are bad per-se. I think most of them project well, but it is disappointing how we've had 5 first rounders in the last two years, and we haven't come away with a prospect that is looking like that tier of prospect that you just named.
Barzal exploded once he got into the NHL. I don't think anyone predicted how good he would be. Same exact thing with Keller.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Barzal exploded once he got into the NHL. I don't think anyone predicted how good he would be. Same exact thing with Keller.

There actually were some people. I was having this discussion the other day in the prospect forum. There were some people that had him in the same tier as guys like Provorov, Werenski, Hanifin, Marner, etc.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC

Not really, Barzal was thought to be right in the mix with McDavid and Eichel entering that draft year and only fell due to his injury

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
There actually were some people. I was having this discussion the other day in the prospect forum. There were some people that had him in the same tier as guys like Provorov, Werenski, Hanifin, Marner, etc.
Sure, you can find that for any 1st rounder. The point is that there was certainly no consensus of Barzal being this superstar before he played in the NHL, and certainly not for Keller either.

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
Not really, Barzal was thought to be right in the mix with McDavid and Eichel entering that draft year and only fell due to his injury
Sean Day was once thought to be a top prospect before shit happened. Barzal certainly fell in the draft, but he was more so a consensus top 10 pick, not top 3 entering the draft.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

I was one of them. I had him ranked 5th in 2015. As a Thunderbirds fan, I saw him play a lot and he was just so good in the WHL. I was shocked he dropped all the way to 16 but his success in the NHL I am not surprised about. The extend to which he produced was a surprise though.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
How would we define "a shot"? I guess its possible, but do we really think its anywhere near likely that either ends up top 10 at their position in the league. I don't think so. I would say its unlikely, but possible.

Based on current development, I'd say they could be top 10 players at their position (RW for Kravtsov and C for Chytil)

Chytil is currently 18 (about to be 19). If you say his prime begins at 23, that is roughly 4 years from now, the following players should be exiting or have exited their prime already: Giroux, Malkin, Kopitar, Crosby, Backstrom, Pavelski, Bergeron, and Getzlaf. I know some of these guys are not top 10 right now (although Pavelski and Backstrom are very close). He'll just be entering his prime seasons by the time these guys are hanging them up. There is for sure a ton of contention for the top 10 centers of the future (5 years from now):

McDavid, Matthews, Eichel, McKinnon, Larkin, Barzal, Scheifele, and several others will be in the discussion. I think Chytil has a chance. His size, skating ability, creativeness, all land him with the ability to be at that peak. His defense will need to catch up, but at 18, I'd say he has plenty of time to get that part down.

As for Kravtsov, he was just taken in the top 10, and was a top 10 pick on many scouts boards. Set records in the KHL for points scored as a draft eligible player. On record as the youngest player to ever score in the modern KHL playoffs. He's an elite level prospect, in spite of the reaction around here. His size and skill will put him in the discussion of elite wingers. I know he didn't play in the WJC this year, but there is a chance that he doesn't this year either, unless his KHL team lets him go for the tourney. He might be too important for whatever team he is on to be loaned for the tourney.

Reactions: Rangers in 7

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
This is deepest prospect pool in the NHL:

1. Filip Chytil
2. Igor Shestyorkin
3. Vitali Kravtsov
4. Lias Andersson
5. Neal Pionk
6. Brett Howden
7. K’Andre Miller
8. Libor Hajek
9. Nils Lundkvist
10. Alexandar Georgiev
11. Ryan Lindgren
12. Yegor Rykov
13. Ty Ronning
14. Jacob Ragnarsson
15. Sean Day
16. Michael Lindqvist
17. Morgan Barron
18. Adam Huska
19. Vinni Lettieri
20. Patrik Virta
21. Joey Keane
22, Brandon Crawley
23. Olof Lindbom
24. Tim Gettinger
25. Ryan Gropp

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
I can tell you from the perspective of someone very familiar with sports betting if a team is expected to use their starting goalie and then the coach announced at the back up is going to start it barely moves the money line at all. The overall team defense and matchup is far more important than the skill of the individual goalie . They’re not that important because the difference between them is not that large when it reaches this level. There are obvious exceptions in the extremes such as Vegas earlier this year when they had ECHL goalie is playing due to injury
How much would the line move if the #3 center was scratched for a game?

MarkMessyay11

Jan 12, 2015
NJ
This is deepest prospect pool in the NHL:

1. Filip Chytil
2. Igor Shestyorkin
3. Vitali Kravtsov
4. Lias Andersson
5. Neal Pionk
6. Brett Howden
7. K’Andre Miller
8. Libor Hajek
9. Nils Lundkvist
10. Alexandar Georgiev
11. Ryan Lindgren
12. Yegor Rykov
13. Ty Ronning
14. Jacob Ragnarsson
15. Sean Day
16. Michael Lindqvist
17. Morgan Barron
18. Adam Huska
19. Vinni Lettieri
20. Patrik Virta
21. Joey Keane
22, Brandon Crawley
23. Olof Lindbom
24. Tim Gettinger
25. Ryan Gropp

Not a bad lineup...

Virta-Chytil-Kravstov
Gettinger-Anderson-Ronning
Lindqvist-Howden-Lettieri
Gropp-Barron-Pajuniemi

Hajek-Pionk
Miller-Lundkvist
Lindgren-Day
Rykov-Keane
Crawley-Ragnarsson

Shestyorkin
Georgiev
Huska
Lindbom

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Can't find enough posters that want to call Kravstov/Chytil potential superstars = Disappointment

Maybe stop looking for approval from random internet posters and just enjoy the game

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Not a bad lineup...

Virta-Chytil-Kravstov
Gettinger-Anderson-Ronning
Lindqvist-Howden-Lettieri
Gropp-Barron-Pajuniemi

Hajek-Pionk
Miller-Lundkvist
Lindgren-Day
Rykov-Keane
Crawley-Ragnarsson

Shestyorkin
Georgiev
Huska
Lindbom

This is as deep as it gets prospect-wise in the NHL.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
1. Lias
2. Chytil
3. Krav
4. Shesty
5. Howden
6. Miller
7. Hajek
8. Lindgren
9. ADA
10.Lundkvist

May swap Hajek and Miller. Also feels like I'm missing someone.

Sean Day? Georgiev*?
Pionk*, maybe Gilmour*?
I don't exactly get excited about Gilmour but he has some NHL experience.

*only mentioned because ADA is on your list.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Rangers prospect pool goes 12/13 deep depending if you count DeAngelo. its pretty nice.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I can tell you from the perspective of someone very familiar with sports betting if a team is expected to use their starting goalie and then the coach announced at the back up is going to start it barely moves the money line at all. The overall team defense and matchup is far more important than the skill of the individual goalie . They’re not that important because the difference between them is not that large when it reaches this level. There are obvious exceptions in the extremes such as Vegas earlier this year when they had ECHL goalie is playing due to injury
This is a great point. Maybe this is why goalies are so inexpensive to trade for.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
It is your belief that the Rangers now have one of the best, if not the very best, farms in the entire NHL?

They are missing a top 10 prospect in my opinion. It depends if you value depth or high end talent when rating a prospect pool. I think they have the best depth in the NHL. Carolina, Buffalo, Vancouver, and the Islanders deserve consideration.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

I honestly don’t understand your concerns. Pretty much all prospects picked after top 2-3 OA became what they are (what you crave?) after 2-3 post draft seasons when they eliminated some question marks and continued accelerated development relative to their peers. NYR prospect pool is just too young in this regard. We need patience.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad