Post first round Top-10 NYR Prospects

AKA Chief

Sep 29, 2017
Shestyorkin is the not the number one prospect because he is a goalie.
It's like saying for the NFL the number one prospect is a kicker because he's dominated at levels no other kicker has. But no matter what he's not the best prospect. Because he is a kicker.
This can't be serious. Shestyorkin is far and away the Rangers top prospect. Best resume and highest upside.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
It's like saying for the NFL the number one prospect is a kicker because he's dominated at levels no other kicker has. But no matter what he's not the best prospect. Because he is a kicker.

This might be the worst analogy i have ever read. You actually compared a kicker to an NHL goalie.

giphy.gif

As a former goalie myself, I’m actually offended.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Are you saying that goalie is not the most important position? Oh boy.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Things look so much better than they did two years ago. However, two key elements are not visibly present in the pool - #1 center and #1 Dman. It's possible Chytil is a #1 center down the road, but, it's not guaranteed and he could easily be better on the wing going forward. At least that problem could be easily remedied by an awful year with a shot at Hughes or Turcotte. The #1 Dman does not look as easily remedied. Maybe, a player like Miller or Lundkvist could develop fully and become such a player. I remain skeptical. A year of development could easily change a lot of perspective.

On the bright side, I see at least three top six wings, a very deep defensive pool, and with Andersson and Howden, solid center depth, (grabbing Jake Wise would have been ideal IMO.) And, the goalie poisition remains as deep as any in the league. IMO, the Rangers added a top line forward and two top four defenders in round one, and continued to deepen the defense as a whole in rounds three and four. I'll add Riley Hughes to Morgan Barron as the two dark horses/wild cards in the prospect pool.

Hopefully, next year at this time, a high end center is a well-needed addition.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Correct I am saying goalie is the least important position and I stand by my comparison to a football kicker. The difference between kickers is not that much. The difference between goalies is not that much. The difference between centers/wings/defenseman is massive. If you rank a goalie as your number 1 prospect I would say you have a horrible prospect pool.

If you don't like the comparison to kickers I would be find using punters instead.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
What contract? He only has one more year. For a guy that is several years away that's hardly an issue.

What contract?

Ummm... I assume the one you were referring to in

QUOTE="broadwayblue, post: 147276347, member: 16696"]He only has one more year[/QUOTE]

Only one more year on a contract I assume

I don't think any of the other players picked in the top 10 were under any contract to any major-pro league outside of the NHL, so I thought that might be a reason there were questions marks.

That made a little happy since if it were the contract, then we got a steal since

For a guy that is several years away that's hardly an issue.

That makes me unhappy since the question marks were he is a "climber".

Anyway, its kinda funny no that you were like.

"Yo what contract bee-sides the onez he still is on u tall KING about. dis guy amiritezes..."

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
This might be the worst analogy i have ever read. You actually compared a kicker to an NHL goalie.

giphy.gif

As a former goalie myself, I’m actually offended.

Yeah but now you get a quick Freudian slip of what many of them think.

Just keep it for reference when you get harassed in the future for presenting seemingly obvious demonstrative facts such as Shesty being the best since he's been the best so far.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Correct I am saying goalie is the least important position and I stand by my comparison to a football kicker. The difference between kickers is not that much. The difference between goalies is not that much. The difference between centers/wings/defenseman is massive. If you rank a goalie as your number 1 prospect I would say you have a horrible prospect pool.

If you don't like the comparison to kickers I would be find using punters instead.

I f***ing hate this argument

The difference between goalies is not that much.

The difference isn't big because these dumb as fan driven metrics don't account well for them and he same people who use them as the holy grail don't know what the f*** they are talking about.

The difference in reality among goalies is huge.

The only time I've seen a goalie "not matter" is when one of the modern dynasty teams win it, and even during the year they win it , the goalie had a half of fame playoffs.

Center is the best gain, but the "goalies don't matter thing" is ridiculous.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Huge side step amigo.

I was alluding to picking more of a consensus pick like Walhstrom or Dobson, or gasp...trying to trade up before 9th.

I never said to choose a sinker over a climber, which is just being ignant G-dawg.

I understand. Was just replying in a vacuum.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Standing next to several guys on Friday, Howden is a legit 6'3.

Chytil 6'2.

Hajek looked noticeably shorted than 6'2. I was actually surprised by how much smaller he was than I expected.

Reactions: kovazub94

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
  1. Sheshyorkin- No 1 Goalie. Best in the world outside of the NHL
  2. Chytil- Top 6 center, two years away from 55-60 points
  3. Kravtsov- 3 Years away High scoring winger/Converted Top-Line Center 60-70 point upside
  4. Andersson- All-Purpose Center. 45-55 Point Upside. 1 Year away
  5. Hajek- Top shutdown option on D. 1/2 a year away
  6. Pionk- 2nd Pair PMD. Can play now.
  7. Miller- Top shutdown defenseman, untapped offensive upside. 3 years away.
  8. Howden- Rangy checking line center. 1 year away.
  9. Lundkvist- Top 4 PMD. 3 Years away.
  10. Lindgren- Character 3rd pair d, and PK option. 1 year away.
  11. Rykov- Two-way D. 2 Years away
  12. Georgiev - Back-up goalie. 1 Year away
  13. Lindbom- Potential starter. 5 years away
  14. Ronning - sparkplug winger- 2 years away
  15. Gettinger- Complimentary 3rd line winger- 2 years away.
  16. Huska- Back-Up goalie 3 years away
I'd say maybe 8-10 of these guys end up with NHL careers, but that's a pretty good prospect list considering that there isn't a top 5 pick in there.

Reactions: NewYorkNick

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site

A guy who plays a position that can win & lose you games singlehandedly is a part-time position player like a kicker?

Reactions: GodlyRangers

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I can tell you from the perspective of someone very familiar with sports betting if a team is expected to use their starting goalie and then the coach announced at the back up is going to start it barely moves the money line at all. The overall team defense and matchup is far more important than the skill of the individual goalie . They’re not that important because the difference between them is not that large when it reaches this level. There are obvious exceptions in the extremes such as Vegas earlier this year when they had ECHL goalie is playing due to injury

Reactions: Off Sides

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Ummm... I assume the one you were referring to in

QUOTE="broadwayblue, post: 147276347, member: 16696"]He only has one more year

I don't think any of the other players picked in the top 10 were under any contract to any major-pro league outside of the NHL, so I thought that might be a reason there were questions marks.

That made a little happy since if it were the contract, then we got a steal since

"Yo what contract bee-sides the onez he still is on u tall KING about. dis guy amiritezes..." [/QUOTE]

As opposed to almost every other first round pick who won't be ready to play in the NHL the year they were drafted? What difference does it make if he plays in the KHL or Boston College this season?

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
And a goalie is on the same level of inportance as a kicker? That might be the most ridiculous comparison I've heard on these forums.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.

"Yo what contract bee-sides the onez he still is on u tall KING about. dis guy amiritezes..."

As opposed to almost every other first round pick who won't be ready to play in the NHL the year they were drafted? What difference does it make if he plays in the KHL or Boston College this season?[/QUOTE]

Again, you were like “wut chu smokin...the only contract he has is the one he has”

Anyway, someone else answer saidhe was a climber.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Standing next to several guys on Friday, Howden is a legit 6'3.

Chytil 6'2.

Hajek looked noticeably shorted than 6'2. I was actually surprised by how much smaller he was than I expected.

I noticed the same probably more between 6’0-6’1.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad