HF Habs: Post-draft Top 20 prospects.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Rough top 10: Poehling, Suzuki, Caufield, Brook, Romanov, Fleury, Olofsson, Ylonen, Primeau, Harris.

Centers > than wingers. ;)

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
1. Cole Caufield
2. Josh Brook
3. Ryan Suzuki
4. Alexander Romanov
5. Ryan Poehling
6. Cayden Primeau
7. Jesse Ylonen
8. Noah Juulsen
9. Jayden Struble
10. Jordan Harris
11. Jake Evans
12. Joni Ikonen
13. Cam Hillis
14. Jacob Olofsson
15. Cale Fleury
16. Mattias Norlinder
17. Cole Fonstad
18. Allan McShane
19. Lukas Vejdemo
20. Otto Leskinen

HM: Pitlick, Stapley, Fairbrother, McNiven

I'm just really shocked at how few lists have Caufield at #1. Seems like that anyways.

You know how in recent years we keep hearing about all our guys 'he can be really good but I wouldn't count on him being a saviour"? Well Caufield has the best chance at being a 'saviour' imo. Even more than KK though I still can't get a read on what KK's upside ultimately is. Could be enormous. Either way Caufield to me has the best chance at being our superstar. The goal scoring prowess is insane and he can legit dish the puck. Good mitts. Great compete and the skating to me looks like less a worry than it does with Suzuki (who's skating I also think is fine). Even as tiny as he is I'd still call him a really good skater. I'm barely worried about the size.

I want to say you have Poehling too low but in a way you don't. I'm getting more sold on his upside the more I see though. I see way too much ROR in him. Would love for him to hit his ceiling and see your list still be correct. We'd have a stellar team if that was the case. It's actually not impossible which is pretty scary.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
Potentials:

Suzuki * top 6 forward
Poehling * top 9 forward
Romanov * top 4 defenseman
Brook * top 4 defenseman
Caufield * top 9 forward
Primeau * #1 goaltender

Harris * top 6 defenseman
Ylonen * top 9 forward
Struble * top 6 defenseman
Fleury * NHL defenseman
Ikonen * career AHL/KHL
Olofsson * AHL/KHL forward
Hillis * AHL/KHL forward

Evans * AHL/ KHL forward
Norlinder * top 6 defenseman
McShane * AHL/KHL forward
Fairbrother AHL/KHL defenseman
Fonstad * AHL/KHL forward
Stapley * AHL/ KHL defenseman
Teasdale * AHL/KHL forward

The Little Viking

Jul 7, 2017
Austin TX
Tier 1
Caufield
Poehling
Romanov
Brook
Suzuki

Tier 2
Ylonen
Struble
Ikonen
Harris

Tier 3
Primeau
Fleury
Fairbrother
Teasdale
Norlinder

Tier 4
Evans
Olofsson
Pitlick
McShane
Hillis
Stapley

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
I prefer 21 and under

Lineups rather than lists

Suzuki - Kotkaneimi - Caufield
Mete - Brook
Primeau

Teasdale - Poehling - Yloven
Romanov - Juulsen (Close enough)
McNiven

No way of looking at that and not thinking it's a sexy future. And that doesn't include a lot of others either.

Physical Ed

May 23, 2013
Tier 1
Caufield
Poehling
Romanov
Brook
Suzuki

Tier 2
Ylonen
Struble
Ikonen
Harris

Tier 3
Primeau
Fleury
Fairbrother
Teasdale
Norlinder

Tier 4
Evans
Olofsson
Pitlick
McShane
Hillis
Stapley

Primeau si WAY too low!!!
I was there this morning and he was one of the most impressive player on the ice!

MarkovtoSubban

Mar 11, 2009
Toronto
I prefer 21 and under

Lineups rather than lists

Suzuki - Kotkaneimi - Caufield
Mete - Brook
Primeau

Teasdale - Poehling - Yloven
Romanov - Juulsen (Close enough)
McNiven

No way of looking at that and not thinking it's a sexy future. And that doesn't include a lot of others either.

Caufield-Poehling-Pitlick
Ikonen-Kotkaniemi-Ylonen
Teasdale-Suzuki-Hillis
Gorniak-Olofsson-Fonstad
McShane

Romanov-Brook
Mete-Juulsen
Struble-Harris
Norlinder-Fleury

Primeau

Last edited:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Tier 1
Caufield
Poehling
Romanov
Brook
Suzuki

Tier 2
Ylonen
Struble
Ikonen
Harris

Tier 3
Primeau
Fleury
Fairbrother
Teasdale
Norlinder

Tier 4
Evans
Olofsson
Pitlick
McShane
Hillis
Stapley

I like your tier's in general.

I would have Primeau and Fleury in tier 2. Many would argue Primeau should be in Tier 1. I would also have Pitlick in tier 3 - and hope he, Fairbrother, and Teasdale can move up a tier or two over the course of the year.

Also, where's Leskinen?

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
It's probably not the right thread, but anyways, i'll vent here.

I know it's become the soup du jour to say how great our prospect pool is, but i still maintain it is not as good as most people think.

Is it better than years past - of course, but that's really not saying much given the garbage we've had.

We still don't know what kind of offensive potential Poehling really has (sorry, using numbers he put up at a 10 day tournament over his normal production to somehow predict he will put up 70 points does not make sense).

To me, he's Eller 2.0

Suzuki - honestly, I really don't know what to make of him. Many pundits are still not sold on him while others are. I fall in the former - he was an overager in the Ohl - he should have utterly dominated, but he didn't. For me, he is the perfect trade chip to sell high on.

I'm not sold on Caufield. Yeah, yeah..i get the speed and scoring stats..but Corey Locke (who was almost the same size) scored 114 goals in two years with the Ottawa 67's and he was a complete bust.

I know, I know, it's way too early to write him off, but jeez, some people are already penciling him in the starting NHL lineup.

As for Romanov let's calm down a little here. He was barely on any scouts lists before he was drafted and literally came out of nowhere with his performance last year...i'll reserve judgement after i see what he does this year.

As for Brook, I like him, however where does all this sudden love for Harris come from? Because he's had a good couple of days at development camp? His numbers were just o.k. last year.

Ylonen, Ikonen, Olofson all had down years last year and none of them scream anything exciting.

Fleury looks like a 5 or 6 dman.

Yes, i know, i'm a pessimist, but i also like to be realistic.

-Locke was a poor skater, terrible comparison with Caufield.

-Romanov was an unknown to HF posters because they get their information from amateur hacks that are not connected or good enough to scout in the NHL. Timmins obviously knew about him and Romanov himself said that he would have been gone soon as there were other teams coming up that had also shown a lot of interest.

-Poehling has a much higher IQ than Eller and understands his strengths are in the dirty areas instead of living under the delusion that he is a star and holding on to the puck for too long like Eller did.

-Suzuki was not an overager, he would be if he chose to return this season.

- Ylonen and Ikonen both had a strong second half, unfortunately injuries played a part but both players made undeniable progress.

-Fleury has a legitimate chance to be a 2nd pair dman. Even if he only ends up as a 5 or 6 every team would take that from an 87th overall pick.

You are looking at this from a very negative bias. Why waste your energy posting this as it is meaningless with such an obviously predetermined conclusion, instead just be objective and reasonable. You can apply this ultra negative narrative to every prospect pool in the league but why bother?

It is a very strong group, cheer up brother and enjoy the riches.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Seems like most agree Brook is a better prospect than Juulsen, does anyone think he's good enough to take Juulsen's spot this year on our bottom pair?
It depends. Do you rate Juulsen higher because he's a sure fire NHL dman or do you rank Brook higher because he has much higher upside. To me, Brook is the better prospect but it's reassuring having Juulsen there in case things don't go as planned.

Our right side is pretty solid so I'd put Juulsen there to start. We can then go from there

The Little Viking

Jul 7, 2017
Austin TX
I like your tier's in general.

I would have Primeau and Fleury in tier 2. Many would argue Primeau should be in Tier 1. I would also have Pitlick in tier 3 - and hope he, Fairbrother, and Teasdale can move up a tier or two over the course of the year.

Also, where's Leskinen?

I forgot about Leskinen. At this point I'd put him Tier 3, right behind Fleury. Like Primeau, need to see more of him.

Montreal Impact FC

.:| Champ's City |:.
Jun 7, 2012
Montreal
I'm going with my top 6 prospects imo. if i got time I'll edit my post.

1. Ryan Poehling :

potential : 4 1/2☆
nhl readiness : 4 1/2☆
offense : 4☆
defensive : 5☆
physicality : 4☆
fantasy value : 4☆
maturity / caracter : 5☆

2. Alex Romanov :

potential : 4 1/2 ☆
nhl readiness : 4☆
offense : 3 1/2☆
defensive : 5☆
physicality : 5☆
fantasy value : 3 1/2☆
Maturity / caracter : 5☆

3. Cole Caufield :

potential : 5☆
nhl readiness : 3 1/2☆
offense : 5☆
defensive : 3☆
physicality : 2 1/2☆
fantasy value : 5☆
Maturity / caracter : 4 1/2☆

4. Josh Brook :

nhl readiness : 4☆
offense : 4☆
defensive : 4 1/2☆
Maturity / caracter : 4☆

5. Nick Suzuki

nhl readiness : 3 1/2☆
offense : 4 1/2☆
defensive : 4☆
physicality : 3 1/2☆
fantasy value : 4 1/2☆

6. Cayden Primeau :

potential : 4☆
nhl readiness : 3☆
offense : N/A
defensive : N/A

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
Vatican City
1. Cole Caufield
2. Josh Brook
3. Ryan Suzuki
4. Alexander Romanov
5. Ryan Poehling
6. Cayden Primeau
7. Jesse Ylonen
8. Noah Juulsen
9. Jayden Struble
10. Jordan Harris
11. Jake Evans
12. Joni Ikonen
13. Cam Hillis
14. Jacob Olofsson
15. Cale Fleury
16. Mattias Norlinder
17. Cole Fonstad
18. Allan McShane
19. Lukas Vejdemo
20. Otto Leskinen

HM: Pitlick, Stapley, Fairbrother, McNiven

Nick at 3 maybe, but Ryan? You're out of your mind :sarcasm:

Gainesvillain

Apr 9, 2013
My top 10

1. Poehling
2. Suzuki
3. Brook
4. Caufield
5. Romanov
6. Primeau
7. Juulsen
8. Fleury
9. Ylonen
10. Harris

hm - wildcard - Struble

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I forgot about Leskinen. At this point I'd put him Tier 3, right behind Fleury. Like Primeau, need to see more of him.

Believe I'm not an expert on these matters and only form my own opinions after seeing players for my self at trainning camp or at the AHL level. These lists are all pure speculation to me and entertainment, not something I take seriously.

Having said that... being the starting goalie of the u.s. at the world juniors is enough for me to put Primeau in tier 2, then there's also the awards he won in college. As for Fleury, I would have him in tier 2 because players like Alzner that played with him in the AHL think he's the real deal. He had a good solid season in the A at such a young age. Lookin forward to seeing what he'll do this year and seeing him at camp in 2020. Leskinen is a total unknown. Liked what I saw at development camp. But he's a 22 year old playing against kids. Also looking forward to seeing him at camp and what he can do in the A this year.

TopC0rner

Feb 21, 2018
-Romanov was an unknown to HF posters because they get their information from amateur hacks that are not connected or good enough to scout in the NHL. Timmins obviously knew about him and Romanov himself said that he would have been gone soon as there were other teams coming up that had also shown a lot of interest.

That plus at least one draft outlet had him as a good prospect for the draft:

"Highly underrated. Good sized defenceman has a nice package of size and skill. Plays a sharp, crisp style and likes to use the body. Has outstanding footwork; lateral movement, pivots, and change of direction are all strong. Can stick with speedy forwards in coverage. Defensively aware and often covers for his wandering d-partner. Has a rocket release and a heavy shot. Anticipates well and steps up to deliver big blows. Makes firm, accurate outlets and shows creativity at the offensive end. Likes to move up into the offensive flow and supports the puck well on the rush. We’ve seen him both start and finish brilliant 3-way, tic-tac-toe passing plays. Forces the action aggressively. Rarely got to play an offensive role with the Russian U-18 squad, but we know he’s got the puck skills to make quick strikes in transition and be a power play contributor. Plays with enthusiasm and intensity."

Montreal picked him higher than he was expected to go, but if you like a player and don't want him to slip that's what you have to do.

Reactions: DAChampion

The Little Viking

Jul 7, 2017
Austin TX
Believe I'm not an expert on these matters and only form my own opinions after seeing players for my self at trainning camp or at the AHL level. These lists are all pure speculation to me and entertainment, not something I take seriously.

Having said that... being the starting goalie of the u.s. at the world juniors is enough for me to put Primeau in tier 2, then there's also the awards he won in college. As for Fleury, I would have him in tier 2 because players like Alzner that played with him in the AHL think he's the real deal. He had a good solid season in the A at such a young age. Lookin forward to seeing what he'll do this year and seeing him at camp in 2020. Leskinen is a total unknown. Liked what I saw at development camp. But he's a 22 year old playing against kids. Also looking forward to seeing him at camp and what he can do in the A this year.

Fucale also was a starting goalie in the WJC :sarcasm:

Don't get me wrong, I'm high on Primeau but due to the higher uncertainty regarding goaltending projection I'm conservatively ranking him Tier 3 for now. Also consider that if things go as expected, he'll likely be UFA eligible by the time Price gives up the #1 spot and as such his overall value as a prospect to the Habs is inherently diminished. I'm ranking the prospects in terms of total overall value in the long term.

jordy

Apr 18, 2007
I notice alot of ppl on here have ikonen in their top 10 to 15. from what ive read hes been injured and was drafted actually a few years ago. seems like a slam dunk bust to me but just curious as to why hes a top 10 to some. is the rest of our prospect pool that bad?

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I notice alot of ppl on here have ikonen in their top 10 to 15. from what ive read hes been injured and was drafted actually a few years ago. seems like a slam dunk bust to me but just curious as to why hes a top 10 to some. is the rest of our prospect pool that bad?

showed huge upside at his first dev camp. Despite the injury when he came back he looked faster and stronger and all and all better. There's upside there. This year is obviously key for him.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Potentials:

Suzuki * top 6 forward
Poehling * top 9 forward
Romanov * top 4 defenseman
Brook * top 4 defenseman
Caufield * top 9 forward
Primeau * #1 goaltender

Harris * top 6 defenseman
Ylonen * top 9 forward
Struble * top 6 defenseman