Player Discussion Post Draft Discussion

How would you grade our draft overall?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sarge13

May 30, 2018
It’s another reason why I’m okay with moving Hayes in the right deal.

Agreed, we have a little time to deal Hayes and Zucc for the 2019 draft. They were looking to get first round picks in the 2018 draft for those guys but couldn't find takers.

Sarge13

May 30, 2018
You have to look at draft position as well. Our average 1st draft pick is the lowest of any team in the last 10 years. That's part because of us trading away 4 in a row, but also reaching the ECF twice and SCF once. You cannot compare our lower half of the first round picks to a team like Colorado getting guys like MacKinnon, Makar, Landeskog, Duchene and Rantanen in the draft.

Yeah right I wish we bottomed out to the level of those teams to get those type of players but the time to bottom out was years ago before Hank got too many miles on him.

Other teams have found some of their best players from the second round and later, draft position should not be an excuse. Neither should trading all their picks being an excuse why they don't have good players that's also part of this equation on how they failed.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
You have to look at draft position as well. Our average 1st draft pick is the lowest of any team in the last 10 years. That's part because of us trading away 4 in a row, but also reaching the ECF twice and SCF once. You cannot compare our lower half of the first round picks to a team like Colorado getting guys like MacKinnon, Makar, Landeskog, Duchene and Rantanen in the draft.
Even if we get a top five pick next year I don't trust this regime to pick the right guy. They have proven that they march to their own beat at the draft. Often to their detriment.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
there is zero reason to move hayes or skjei. i can understand zucc.

i would have loved to have kept jtm as well. just got paid a decent deal for 5 yrs. having jtm still and quinn as the new HC plus a new staff, would have been ideal

moving mcd27 was the right move however. no prob there.

AV killed this team.

lets not gut it and sell off assets like kevin hayes.

build from within.

Reactions: haveandare

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
I would think so, however I really am not sure that will be the case should they improve this roster now. Even if the improvements are somewhat mediocre it's not like they are that far off from being 1 of the 8 in the east who could make the playoffs or be within striking distance at the deadline. They have a top line, a goalie, they have some other forwards who should slot in well, I think it's mostly the D that would hinder them from being average in the East, being average puts them in about a playoff wildcard spot.

Don't worry, this team will not be sniffing a playoff spot. Isles, Flyers and Devils are on the rise. Pitt and Wash are still pretty good. We will be a cellar dweller this season.

Reactions: jas

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Don't worry, this team will not be sniffing a playoff spot. Isles, Flyers and Devils are on the rise. Pitt and Wash are still pretty good. We will be a cellar dweller this season.

I'm not so sure about that. I think the 8th-9th spot is attainable for the Rangers even with only modest roster adds. If they are in 8th or 9th at the deadline and only a couple points out, we are going to hear how that roster deserves a chance and how selling off would send bad signals and all that stuff.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I'm not so sure about that. I think the 8th-9th spot is attainable for the Rangers even with only modest roster adds. If they are in 8th or 9th at the deadline and only a couple points out, we are going to hear how that roster deserves a chance and how selling off would send bad signals and all that stuff.

They finished 20 points out of a playoff spot last season.

There is a ton of ground they need to make up in order to be “in it.” Modest roster changes won’t be enough.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
there is zero reason to move hayes or skjei. i can understand zucc.

i would have loved to have kept jtm as well. just got paid a decent deal for 5 yrs. having jtm still and quinn as the new HC plus a new staff, would have been ideal

moving mcd27 was the right move however. no prob there.

AV killed this team.

lets not gut it and sell off assets like kevin hayes.

build from within.
Totally agree on Hayes and Skjei. I'm okay losing JT given his inconsistencies, especially in the playoffs. Not very confident that a 5 year deal for him will look good once all is said and done.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
The Rangers will be one of the five worst teams in the league this year. I would almost guarantee it. They are on the same level as Detroit, Ottawa and Vancouver.

Agreed, I fully expect us to be in the bottom 5. Could they surprise, sure, there's a remote possibility. But I wouldn't bet on it.

Reactions: Riche16

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
They finished 20 points out of a playoff spot last season.

There is a ton of ground they need to make up in order to be “in it.” Modest roster changes won’t be enough.

They had some key injuries and a coach they were not very into. I would not use last years point total as an indicator.

Every year some team thought to make the playoffs falls out, sometime two or more. I would not discount what a new coach and some youthful exuberance could do once incorporated to the vets that will likely return plus those they may add.

If they want to be "bad" they need to move out even more players. Yet then it gets into the mentor/shelter/leadership stuff they seem to be talking about all the time. They are not likely to save a bunch of cap space, I kind of think we are going to be surprised by some of their up coming moves, moves that I think will be made to improve the current team.

Reactions: Lone Ranger

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Same folks that drafted Kreider at 19, Skjei in the 20s, signed Zuccarello as a UDFA, signed Talbot as a UDFA.

In 15 years of 1st round picks, we have had 1(!) dud in McIlrath.

Tampa Bay is always credited with being great in the draft, yet they picked guys like Koekkoek (10th overall), Brett Connelly (6th overall LOL), Riku Helenius (15th overall). Where's the outcry over those picks?

Not to mention Tampa also signed Matt Carle, Ryan Callahan, Alex Killorn and now possibly JT Miller to horrendous contracts.

Reactions: haveandare

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
They had some key injuries and a coach they were not very into. I would not use last years point total as an indicator.

Every year some team thought to make the playoffs falls out, sometime two or more. I would not discount what a new coach and some youthful exuberance could do once incorporated to the vets that will likely return plus those they may add.

If they want to be "bad" they need to move out even more players. Yet then it gets into the mentor/shelter/leadership stuff they seem to be talking about all the time. They are not likely to save a bunch of cap space, I kind of think we are going to be surprised by some of their up coming moves, moves that I think will be made to improve the current team.

You're going to be surprised.

I'd bet that the Devils fall out and Florida jumps them. Isles may get in there to depending on how their off season goes, they're much more likely to make bigger moves than we are.

They won't keep a ton of cap space because most of it will be used on re-upping RFA's. They aren't going to do anything stupid on the UFA market, they've stayed clear of Tavares and didn't really seem all to keen on caving to Kovalchuk.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Agreed, I fully expect us to be in the bottom 5. Could they surprise, sure, there's a remote possibility. But I wouldn't bet on it.

Far too many ‘ifs’ and question marks. Non-playoff teams like the Isles, Hawks, Oilers and Habs have stated their goal is to get back into the playoffs, so expect big short term moves. The Rangers are talking about nurturing their young talent. Big difference in approach.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
You're going to be surprised.

I'd bet that the Devils fall out and Florida jumps them. Isles may get in there to depending on how their off season goes, they're much more likely to make bigger moves than we are.

They won't keep a ton of cap space because most of it will be used on re-upping RFA's. They aren't going to do anything stupid on the UFA market, they've stayed clear of Tavares and didn't really seem all to keen on caving to Kovalchuk.

Even if they sign their RFAs and keep everyone else, that is a possible playoff roster in goal and in forwards, I would not be surprised to see them add a UFA defender or trade for one.

All the same this is kind of off topic for this thread except I do believe it will impact their their future drafts.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Far too many ‘ifs’ and question marks. Non-playoff teams like the Isles, Hawks, Oilers and Habs have stated their goal is to get back into the playoffs, so expect big short term moves. The Rangers are talking about nurturing their young talent. Big difference in approach.

Agreed. I don't know why so many posters are afraid of a bad season. We should all be embracing it. For that means the organization is actually committed to doing what they have been preaching. Let the kids play. Let them learn the new system. Let them make mistakes and learn from them. Sure, it won't be fun looking at the standings. But if they play hard and grow together it will make the future that much more exciting. This season should be the bottom. We can endure one year, it goes by pretty quick anyway.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Agreed. I don't know why so many posters are afraid of a bad season. We should all be embracing it. For that means the organization is actually committed to doing what they have been preaching. Let the kids play. Let them learn the new system. Let them make mistakes and learn from them. Sure, it won't be fun looking at the standings. But if they play hard and grow together it will make the future that much more exciting. This season should be the bottom. We can endure one year, it goes by pretty quick anyway.

Just for the record I am not scared of it, I think they need to make the roster worse if they want to go through this process and come out of it with some elite/near elite players that have a chance to go to or near to a point per game in future playoff series.

I'm more thinking the Rangers do not have that same plan.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Just for the record I am not scared of it, I think they need to make the roster worse if they want to go through this process and come out of it with some elite/near elite players that have a chance to go to or near to a point per game in future playoff series.

I'm more thinking the Rangers do not have that same plan.

There is plenty of time "to make the roster worse". Let's see what moves are coming next. They can move more assets to acquire additional picks/prospects/young roster players which will make us even worse short term.

That said, I think losing McDonagh, Nash, and Grabner has certainly made the team significantly worse.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
What indicates that this team cannot draft the right player? McIlrath was a bad pick but he's the exception.
Wasting second round picks on goalies multiple times. Gordie Clark making asinine statements like rating Gropp as their sixth best forward in the draft. Wasting a draft pick on the son of one of their scouts.

Sarge13

May 30, 2018
Not even July and we're already trying to predict who's going to make the playoffs next year it's kind of funny isn't it what were you saying last year about Las Vegas? ;)

Lots of things can happen. No one has any idea what the lineups going to look like yet, let's get through July and August first.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
i would say we are on the outside looking in right now just because the devs and piles and cats are all on par with us at the very least- or better. we arent better than them nor are they appreciably better than us.

it will be a dogfight for that last spot some spring 19.

i dont expect this team to be awful .defensively, i think we will be alot better. offensively, i worry who's going to score the goals. talent wise, i think were thin. depth wise, same.

if we are top 5 bad next season, we will have a very nice pick at the top of the draft.

lets see what random goalie gordie wants to reach for this time. :sarcasm:

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Wasting second round picks on goalies multiple times. Gordie Clark making asinine statements like rating Gropp as their sixth best forward in the draft. Wasting a draft pick on the son of one of their scouts.

And the Islanders drafted a Chinese player just for marketing purposes. And Tampa wasted a top-10 pick on Brett f***ing Connelly. And Columbus wasted a pick on Kerby Rychel. And Pittsburgh didn't exactly hit it out of the park with Derrick Pouliot.

People need to stop acting as if we are the only team making bad picks at the draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->