Post Deep Space Nine fiction, any suggestions?

Moon Man

Oct 3, 2015
I think Voyager is around the same timeline as DS9 and maybe finishes a bit after but I’m not positive. Definitely check that out if you haven’t already.

They just don’t make shows like these anymore. I was watching some DS9 last night. It is absolutely phenomenal.

I heard the new Discovery is complete garbage. You might want to steer clear.

There is also Enterprise, which takes place before all of them.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I miss old Trek so much...

DS9 is probably my favourite TV series ever.

Doesn't answer your question, but I'd love to hear the answer too.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I think Voyager is around the same timeline as DS9 and maybe finishes a bit after but I’m not positive. Definitely check that out if you haven’t already.

They just don’t make shows like these anymore. I was watching some DS9 last night. It is absolutely phenomenal.

I heard the new Discovery is complete garbage. You might want to steer clear.

There is also Enterprise, which takes place before all of them.
Voyager is crap compared to DS9.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
Voyager is crap compared to DS9.
I never gave DS9 much of a fair shake, although to be honest, I didn't spend much time around the TV when it was originally airing. Based on what I remember of it though, I'd be more prone to give it a second shot than I would be for Voyager. Voyager had Jeri Ryan - but the eye candy appeal only goes so far, and she's not nearly as big a draw for me as she was when I was a teenager - and I honestly can't remember anything else that drew me to that show.

NameInUse

Sep 27, 2017
DS9 was good (IMO) until they started doubling down on all the Bajoran religious emissary crap. At that point, the show became about 80% shit. As far as I'm concerned, the show should have ended around season 3 or so...

NameInUse

Sep 27, 2017
You missed out on the Dominion War which tried to force the ethically uncompromising Federation into difficult choices.

You're leaving out the best part of the series.
I watched all of it, way too much Bajoran bullshit in almost every episode. I really couldn't stand Kira as a character, and every single Bajoran they introduced were almost as annoying. Ensign Roh was the only Bajoran I liked, and she was on TNG. I agree that the Dominion war bits had potential, but at that point the show was on full on preaching mode all the f'n time. The Cardassians were shit, but the Bajorans should have been the main villains... Positive thing though: the Ferengies (Quark especially) and Otto were excellent in the show.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
DS9 was good (IMO) until they started doubling down on all the Bajoran religious emissary crap. At that point, the show became about 80% ****. As far as I'm concerned, the show should have ended around season 3 or so...

I actually see this said by a lot of people, but I don't understand it.

The vast Bajoran cultural differences as well as the war aspect and their conflicts with Federation ideals is what made DS9 unique and interesting, at least to me.

Granted, Sisko's backstory got pretty weird at the end in regards to the Prophets, but it was interesting.

NameInUse

Sep 27, 2017
I actually see this said by a lot of people, but I don't understand it.

The vast Bajoran cultural differences as well as the war aspect and their conflicts with Federation ideals is what made DS9 unique and interesting, at least to me.

Granted, Sisko's backstory got pretty weird at the end in regards to the Prophets, but it was interesting.
Too much pseudo-mysticism, not enough pseudo-science... DS9 wasn't Trekish enough for me to like it much, but I still ended up watching... I even prefered the very average Enterprise and Discovery more than DS9, so TOS, TNG, and Voyager easily blew it out of the water (IMO).

If you want to watch a Space Station-based show mostly done right, I'd recommend Babylon 5. It ran around the same time as DS9 (don't feel like looking up which one came first), and it kicked its ass (IMO).

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Too much pseudo-mysticism, not enough pseudo-science... DS9 wasn't Trekish enough for me to like it much, but I still ended up watching... I even prefered the very average Enterprise and Discovery more than DS9, so TOS, TNG, and Voyager easily blew it out of the water (IMO).

If you want to watch a Space Station-based show mostly done right, I'd recommend Babylon 5. It ran around the same time as DS9 (don't feel like looking up which one came first), and it kicked its ass (IMO).

See the differences are actually what made me love it so much. They took Trek and said "what happens when shit hits the fan?"

Granted, without being drawn in by the awesomeness that was TNG, DS9 wouldn't have held the same appeal.

Also, I thought DS9 had some of the best characters in the franchise - Garak, Quark, Garak, Odo, and of course Garak. Sisko was a great captain - a tactical genius and idealist, but unhinged enough to be human. :laugh:

Honestly I never got much into TOS other than a few episodes and the movies. I grew up on TNG. I also really like Voyager. Enterprise was decent at the beginning and fun at the end, but crap in the middle. I can't even bring myself to watch Discovery at this point....

I never got around to watching Babylon 5, even though I meant to. I will say if it blows DS9 out of the water, it'd have to be my favourite show of all time. :laugh:

Moon Man

Oct 3, 2015
I watched all of it, way too much Bajoran bull**** in almost every episode. I really couldn't stand Kira as a character, and every single Bajoran they introduced were almost as annoying. Ensign Roh was the only Bajoran I liked, and she was on TNG. I agree that the Dominion war bits had potential, but at that point the show was on full on preaching mode all the f'n time. The Cardassians were ****, but the Bajorans should have been the main villains... Positive thing though: the Ferengies (Quark especially) and Otto were excellent in the show.

Quark might be the best Star Trek character of all time.

Reactions: Iron Mosher

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad