Prospect Info: Post deadline prospect rankings

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

Their little blurb on him said, "All signs point to that he will be an NHL player, likely as a 3rd or 4th liner, if everything goes perfect a 2nd liner"

They question if he will be able to score enough at the NHL level.

Obviously this is 2 years old, things have changed.

Also there is this:

And clearly, when you look at how he's progressed offensively, in combination with the other attributes that were already in place, you have a guy with some real possibilities.

When I first saw Howden, I saw a very good third line center. Then after his D-1 season, I thought he was guy who could potentially be a top six player. Then after watching him late last season in the AHL, and this season in the WHL, tand the he WJC, I think he's a legit top six talent.

The progress is there. The offense is there. The response in different environments, with different linemates and systems and coaches - all there.

He's done everything you'd want a pick to do after being drafted. If he keeps it up moving forward, Rangers fans are going to really like him.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I think Chytil is being a bit underrated here.

If he were a few weeks younger we're probably talking about taking him around where we're picking right now.

Yeah I he'd get taken in the 6-10 range. But I'm very high on Andersson, not saying that he will outscore Chytil, but the role that Andersson will fill is a tough one to find. Chytil is see as an Eric Staal type. The EStaal you see today.

Rangers could very well pick in the top 4. My hopes are Zadina if it's not Rasmus. So the difference isn't tremendous imo.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
That upside with Lindgren is there if he can skate at an elite level. IMO I like Samberg more on the US junior team, but Lindgren is a reliable option. If he can get that extra step, then the offense will come in the Pros.

One thing to note with Lindgren is that he plays half his games on an Olympic rink. So it's a different beast offensively. Far less offense from defense in those conditions.

Same thing happened with Skjei, and he scored 39 points as a rookie.

Just not sure if the hands are there.

Skjei wasn't seen as a big producer, but was seen as more of a two-way type. Lindgren definitely leans more defensive at the same point.

I said in that trade thread that his game reminds me of Adam Foote. Not that I am projecting him at that level, but from a style standpoint.

If Lindgren were able to develop to the point of being a 5 goal/25 point player, I'd be very happy with that.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Here we go:

1. Igor Shestyorkin
2. Filip Chytil
3. Lias Andersson
4. Brett Howden
5. Yegor Rykov
6. Neal Pionk
7. Ryan Lindgren
8. Libor Hajek
9. Alexandar Georgiev
10. Ty Ronning
11. Vinni Lettieri
12. Adam Huska
13. Sean Day
14. Morgan Barron
15. Tim Gettinger
16. John Gilmour
17. Ryan Gropp
18. Dominik Lakatos
19. Tyler Wall
20. Brandon Crawley

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Hajek is hilariously underrated. Guy has actual top pairing potential. Very likely 3/4 to me with a solid shot at top pairing.

I ranked him a little lower because he's more boom/bust and generally has more to work on than his deadline defensive prospect contemporaries.

But he could be right up there with the big three if he puts it all together.

hpNYR

HF Forecaster
Jun 18, 2006
Northridge, CA
www.twitter.com
Im extremely shocked that most of you are ranking Hajek 5 or worse and after Andersson and Howden.

I even saw someone include De Angelo and had him ranked better than Hajek

Hajek is the big coup here. The Lightning pretty much traded De Angelo in order to select Hajek in the 2016 draft. Their feeling was that ADA was one dimensional and lacked size while Hajek is more complete. Is intimidating on the back end with good size and has offensive skillset to boot.

Reactions: belford222

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
So our Defensemen prospects are (numbered, not ordered):

1. DeAngelo (did not really live up to the hype yet, trade bait?)
2. Pionk (not too bad, place holder/trade bait)
3. O'Gara (marginal NHLer, no trade value)
4. Gilmour (not too bad, place holder/trade bait)
5. Rykov (top prospect likely part of the "Russian Plan")
6. Zborovsky (likely a bust?, no trade value)
7. Reunanen (no idea, probably never comes over from Europe)
8. Day (trade bait?)
9. Pedrie (probably a bust? nobody ever talks about him)
10. Crawley (looked decent in preseason, but I am guessing a bust?)
11. Hajek (top prospect)
12. Lindgren (looks promising for now, needs to play in AHL instead of just 30 games a season))
13. Bigras (likely a bust, trade bait?)
14. Sjalin (likely bust? no trade value)

And we will probably draft at least 4 more this draft.

Can we trade somebody and get something in return we only have around about 3 spots open (forgot we still got Shattenkirk is he getting traded next year's trade deadline?).

Last edited:
Reactions: egelband

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Im extremely shocked that most of you are ranking Hajek 5 or worse and after Andersson and Howden.

I even saw someone include De Angelo and had him ranked better than Hajek

Hajek is the big coup here. The Lightning pretty much traded De Angelo in order to select Hajek in the 2016 draft. Their feeling was that ADA was one dimensional and lacked size while Hajek is more complete. Is intimidating on the back end with good size and has offensive skillset to boot.

For me it’s the work in progress aspects, not so much the talent. Can easily see him being a big climber.

Interestingly enough we now have 3 of Tampa’s first round picks from 2011, 2014 and 2016, along with potentially their first round picks in 2018 and 2019.

We also have their first two rounds from 2016.

And a pick they got in exchange for their 2014 first round pick.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Chytil
Shestyorkin
Andersson
Hajek
Howden
Rykov
Pionk
Lindgren
DeAngelo
Ronning
Georgiev
Lettieri
Gettinger
Day

That order - in terms of what impact I think they will have on the team moving forward, and not based on how close each is to playing in the NHL as a factor

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I ranked him a little lower because he's more boom/bust and generally has more to work on than his deadline defensive prospect contemporaries.

But he could be right up there with the big three if he puts it all together.

I was so impressed by his improvement from last year to this year (I fully admit I had no clue who he was when Tampa picked him in ‘16). Agreed with the boom or bust, but I like what he’s shown against tough competition this year.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
And clearly, when you look at how he's progressed offensively, in combination with the other attributes that were already in place, you have a guy with some real possibilities.

I actually wouldn't mind bringing in Quinton as a 4th liner or AHL guy. I know he and his brother are pretty close.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
With Spooner and Hayes in the mix.

We're suddenly pretty well set up at center.

You mean Zibanejad and Hayes? By most accounts Spooner is more capable wing than center. Probably more adept to be a center in a pinch. Baring any other moves Ziba-Names-Hayes will be a decent center depth for now.

Last edited:

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Here we go:

1. Igor Shestyorkin
2. Filip Chytil
3. Lias Andersson
4. Brett Howden
5. Yegor Rykov
6. Neal Pionk
7. Ryan Lindgren
8. Libor Hajek
9. Alexandar Georgiev
10. Ty Ronning
11. Vinni Lettieri
12. Adam Huska
13. Sean Day
14. Morgan Barron
15. Tim Gettinger
16. John Gilmour
17. Ryan Gropp
18. Dominik Lakatos
19. Tyler Wall
20. Brandon Crawley

This is the closest to how I would make the list except Gilmour is rounding up top 10 .

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I was so impressed by his improvement from last year to this year (I fully admit I had no clue who he was when Tampa picked him in ‘16). Agreed with the boom or bust, but I like what he’s shown against tough competition this year.

For me, seeing steady progress is one of the most vital components of how I evaluate a prospect and Hajek checks that box for me.

RangerBlues

Apr 27, 2004
BRONX NYC
Howden is every bit as good as Anderson or Chytil.
Wish I felt the same way about the D. That’s gonna take a lot more work.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Howden is every bit as good as Anderson or Chytil.
Wish I felt the same way about the D. That’s gonna take a lot more work.

We have our future second pairing in Rykov, Lindgren, and Hajek.

Hell, we have our other second pairing guys in ADA and Pionk.

What we don't have are the top end defensemen. Unless Hajek's curve really does bring him there, we probably don't have them in the system. But that's fine and hopefully will be addressed.

But we could theoretically have six 3/4 defensemen under the age of 25 (including Skjei in that, obviously). That is fantastic depth. When you factor in that Skjei, Rykov, and Hajek all really have #2/3 potential, it looks even better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->