Possibly Stupid Gamecenter Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
I've started looking into Gamecenter for next season, and I'm curious to know how the blackout areas are determined. I live in Ottawa, but since my girlfriend lives in Gatineau, I'm generally there a lot with my laptop. Can I assume that Gatineau is part of Senatorland and their games would be blocked out on GC there as well?

I also have a passing interest in the Habs - dating a Quebecer will do that :laugh: ... do they have any claim on the Outaouais region, or would I be able to use GC to watch them lose?

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Weird story.

I had Gamecenter this year in Stittsville and the Sens games were not blacked out, but the Leafs were.

I think it was a glitch because Ottawa falls in between SNE and SNO.

I couldn't guarantee that it would happen again this year though/

Herc Man

AmandaHugincis
Jan 11, 2007
Nepean
Get yourself a VPN service like Witopia (~$65 per year). The GC software checks your IP and figures out where you are and blacks you out. I log in through a US server, log into GC and voila, no blackouts.

I have not missed a Sens game I wanted to watch; I get all home games and away games. Most services have multiple servers throughout North America so you can always be somewhere with out a black out....for any team.

Love my Witopia...

shakazuzu

Feb 28, 2007
i've had gamecenter for two seasons now. to avoid blackouts i just login to nhl.com, enable any free UK proxy, load the game i want then disable the proxy to get my speed back up. no problems so far and since the quality is near videotron's super compressed HD, the value is way worth it for me.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
Bumping with another possibly stupid question.

Last year I used unblockus to pretend I was in Europe and got gcl for $99 instead of $149.

This year our good friend Rogers has taken control and jacked the price up to $179.

But has anyone heard if this international trick still works or do I have to resort to time travel or some other tricks

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008

Last year I used unblockus to pretend I was in Europe and got gcl for $99 instead of $149.

This year our good friend Rogers has taken control and jacked the price up to $179.

But has anyone heard if this international trick still works or do I have to resort to time travel or some other tricks

Rogers jacked the price but included national games and playoffs. So it's actually a reasonable price increase compared to previously.

Not sure but I think it may be that non Rogers GCL subscriptions only get the standard out of market non national games.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
Here a stupid question for Gamecentre users.

Why buy it in Ottawa, when they block most Sens games?

Why not use HockeyStreams that not only does not block home games, but also includes, the World Juniors, the CHL, the AHL and even the KHL, and even more.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
If I buy GCL from the states, can i still use it normally here in Canada or do I have to use VPN to pretend I'm from the states to simply access the service?

Some people are telling me you have to have Rogers account if you're in Canada regardless of any previous account you bought it with.

Kellogs

G'night Sweet Prince
Dec 23, 2008
Ottawa

I renewed my gamecenter by logging on using a Russian IP address (price was $75), so it seems to work for now and we'll see when the season gets underway. So far, from what Rogers has been saying, theoretically someone who purchased gamecenter from the US and happened to be travelling in Canada wouldn't be blocked from watching the games even though they didn't purchased gamecenter through Rogers, but we'll have to see if that holds true.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
Here a stupid question for Gamecentre users.

Why buy it in Ottawa, when they block most Sens games?

Why not use HockeyStreams that not only does not block home games, but also includes, the World Juniors, the CHL, the AHL and even the KHL, and even more.

A. I don't live in Ottawa
B. I watch through apple tv, which has a gamecenter app but no hockeystreams
C. I don't watch chl, ahl or khl

Game center is still a pretty great product for some of us, I'm just curious how much Rogers is going to mess with it.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
A. I don't live in Ottawa
B. I watch through apple tv, which has a gamecenter app but no hockeystreams
C. I don't watch chl, ahl or khl

Game center is still a pretty great product for some of us, I'm just curious how much Rogers is going to mess with it.

Does Apple TV have a VLC app? Cause you can stream hockey streams through VLC.

Healfezza

Sep 9, 2008
Red Deer
I renewed my gamecenter by logging on using a Russian IP address (price was $75), so it seems to work for now and we'll see when the season gets underway. So far, from what Rogers has been saying, theoretically someone who purchased gamecenter from the US and happened to be travelling in Canada wouldn't be blocked from watching the games even though they didn't purchased gamecenter through Rogers, but we'll have to see if that holds true.

Media Hint (and others) brower add-on will provide a free alternative to using expensive proxy IP's by masking your region and providing access to region blocked content. Works with Netflix, Hulu, Pandora, etc.

I assume this works with GC (although I use a certain other popular streaming service alternative).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad