News Article: Possibly Kronwall's Last Season in the NHL

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
According to Mike Zeisberger of NHL.com, Kronwall, 37, has thought about the possibility of the 2018-19 season being his last in the NHL.

“If this happens to be the end of the road, I would be more than happy with the journey that I’ve had and more than thankful to the Ilitch family and (general manager) Kenny Holland for giving me the opportunity that I have for being able to be with the same team for my entire career,”

Reactions: turkleton85

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Watching him is painful. Both because the level of his play has dropped so much recently, and because a lot of nights he looks like he's not 100% and playing in pain.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
**** I couldve said this 2 years ago. After those know injuries he isnt the same, obviously.

This is Kronwall's words. Not a reporter speculating. Kronner is planting the seed. Assuming Z retires also, this will be the end of our 08 cup era players... aside from some rookies that played less than 10 games that season; Helm, Ericsson, Abby.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Have to respect the guy for what he was able to do in his career, considering his skill level. Pure heart and soul player who sacrificed his body every year.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Last good defenseman we drafted. Plugged a lot of holes for a lot of years.

The anticipation of one of his hits will greatly be missed....actually has been for several years.

Last edited:

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Have to respect the guy for what he was able to do in his career, considering his skill level. Pure heart and soul player who sacrificed his body every year.

Considering his skill level? He was a top pairing D. What are you on about? Kronwall wasn't a plugger who made good... he was a legit top pairing defenseman. He just played such a punishing style of hockey that the injuries piled up and cut the legs out from under his mid 30s career.

Reactions: newfy

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Considering his skill level? He was a top pairing D. What are you on about? Kronwall wasn't a plugger who made good... he was a legit top pairing defenseman. He just played such a punishing style of hockey that the injuries piled up and cut the legs out from under his mid 30s career.

I think right when Lidstrom retired Kronwall was a legit number 1 dman. He could play any minutes needed and do it well. Would QB the PP, put up 40-50 points, kill penalties, on of the best open ice hitters ever. He was voted top 15-20 dmen in the league around that time on here.

So ya not sure what that guys tlaking about when he says considering his skill level

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

These types of plays are how I will remember Kronwall. He was always very dangerous with the puck on the blue line, and was damn good at making a move and creeping up and either firing a shot or finding a teammate.

Kronwall was a very skilled offensive defenseman. He was a top PP producer in the league for awhile among defenseman.

I was always a fan of his game. He was a great puck possession player and great in transition. Plus I loved how he would throw big hits even as a smaller defenseman.

Last edited:

Datsyukian Deke

The Captain is Home!!
Apr 5, 2012
Middle Tennessee
Last year should have been his last season. With his knees in the shape they are, he's been more of a hindrance on the ice if anything. Not as bad as the human traffic cone, Ericsson, but still.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
When I saw an article titled something like "Kronwall and From Office not talking extension" I was like well no shit... But it was a nice feeling of closure, I hope Kronner can at least have a season he can be happy about before hanging them up.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I think right when Lidstrom retired Kronwall was a legit number 1 dman. He could play any minutes needed and do it well. Would QB the PP, put up 40-50 points, kill penalties, on of the best open ice hitters ever. He was voted top 15-20 dmen in the league around that time on here.

So ya not sure what that guys tlaking about when he says considering his skill level

He seemed to change his game pretty quickly when Lids retired, too. He became a lot more conservative, and went a long way towards pushing those defensive slips out of his game that people (disproportionately, imo) knocked him for. I don't know if the coaches talked to him or he just took it upon himself, but it was there.

Wouldn't trade Lids for anything, but I have to wonder what Kronwall's career would have looked like if he felt like he needed to make that change sooner. we might not have so many highlight reel hits, but I wouldn't be shocked if he would have been a more highly regarded blueliner.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Wouldn't trade Lids for anything, but I have to wonder what Kronwall's career would have looked like if he felt like he needed to make that change sooner. we might not have so many highlight reel hits, but I wouldn't be shocked if he would have been a more highly regarded blueliner.

More highly regarded, maybe, but I always thought he would've helped us the most if he could've continued to be the #2 guy, and could've continued to be the physical presence on the blueline.

No knock on his ability at all, but having a guy who could actually make a hit occasionally was big, IMO, and it's something the team has been sorely missing since he started to decline (I mean, along with the obvious talent issues).

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
More highly regarded, maybe, but I always thought he would've helped us the most if he could've continued to be the #2 guy, and could've continued to be the physical presence on the blueline.

No knock on his ability at all, but having a guy who could actually make a hit occasionally was big, IMO, and it's something the team has been sorely missing since he started to decline (I mean, along with the obvious talent issues).

He didnt just make big hits either, they always seemed really well timed. Some that really helped momentum in playoff series and things like that. His 08 cup run had guys scared to break out of their own zone, I think that was his biggest run of physical play hes had. Seemed like every game he killed someone in those playoffs.

Or when a guy like Clowe shoots his mouth off after Heatley got laid out, Kronwall turns around and knocks him out with a separated shoulder. The wings didnt win that series but it was pretty hilarious timing for Clowe to shoot his mouth off in the press

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He seemed to change his game pretty quickly when Lids retired, too. He became a lot more conservative, and went a long way towards pushing those defensive slips out of his game that people (disproportionately, imo) knocked him for. I don't know if the coaches talked to him or he just took it upon himself, but it was there.

I think going from a 20-21 min guy to a 24-25 min guy, you kind of have to do that. Not sure if you are talking about laying hits or pinches, though. I always thought he was pretty smart with his pinches, for the most part. Plus he had good recovery speed until his knees went.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
If we are out of the playoffs around the deadline and Kronwall agrees to a move I wonder what he could fetch at the TDL? I’d be very pleased with a conditional 3rd.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

He was no where near a real #1, he was still meh defensively (he never was a stalwart), and his points never made up for it. He was a fine stopgap, but on a good team he was always a #2 or #3.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->