Possible Trades

MBJets

Dec 22, 2003
Visit site
Are there WHL teams out there you see making a trade and for what picks or players?

What players do you see different teams moving and what do they want back in return young or veteran players?

Maybe to early in the year to be looking at this but with Calgary shaking things up, my guess is the GM's out there have a good idea of what their teams need. weather they are re-building or contenders looking for that extra piece to their teams.

MBJets

Dec 22, 2003
Visit site
I could see a team like Kootenay moving Philip to help re-rebuild the Ice. They would probably look for young players or draft picks.

I could also see Kamloops Blazers also make moves to help with the re-rebuild

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
I could see a team like Kootenay moving Philip to help re-rebuild the Ice. They would probably look for young players or draft picks.

I could also see Kamloops Blazers also make moves to help with the re-rebuild

Unfortunately new GM Stu MacGregor will have to rebuild on the fly. The fans are NOT interested in another "5 year plan". Bonner blew that. They do have the offense and goaltending to make the playoffs this year. They've won 4 of their last 5 now and have beaten some good teams in the process. Quinney, Sideroff, Needham, Shirley, Revel, Kryski can be as good as a lot of teams top 6. But the defence is really young and is a work in progress.

MBJets

Dec 22, 2003
Visit site
Do the Oil Kings do anything given the start they're having?

I am not sure the Oil Kings have players that could really help a playoff contenders.

As a Wheat King fan I know there are at least 2 or 3 players from the Oil Kings I would like to see in Brandon because guys like Irving, Baddock and even Pollock play a hard physical game that is needed in the playoffs. I know Baddock is a 20 year old so that won't happen because Brandon just got down to 3 over age players.

The Wheat Kings know how hard these guys are to play against in the playoffs because they faced each other in the playoffs the last 3 years, with Brandon finally beating the Oil Kings last year but each game was a battle.

I think McCrimmon is still looking to make a deal or two because he has a lot of skill this year but the team has not played up to expectations. this year. The Wheat Kings have the skill to compete in the playoffs.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I wanna see Tbirds make a splash and get a left handed puck moving dman. Its too bad Theodore has moved onto the pro ranks cause this year they could definitely use him.

Hmmmmm Travis Sanheim would look good wearing a TBird jersey!!!!

Also I am not 100% sold on their goalie situation yet... hopefully I am proven wrong but I wouldn't mind seeing Tbirds get a legitimate #1 starter

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Rebels will be making trades, probably will make an attempt to get Brayden Point.
Calgary could possibly trade Sanheim to a contender, my guess is the Royals.

MBJets

Dec 22, 2003
Visit site
I'd dump Burke but then again I think he's an awful goalie. Kanzig would fetch a better return.

Kanzig would probably get Calgary a similar return than what Brandon got for Buckart (2) 3rd round picks. Any teams that figure they are a contender already have quality 20 year old players. Any of the other teams will not be willing to invest a lot in a 20 year old player and keep any picks for the future.

Hordichuk_24

Kanzig would probably get Calgary a similar return than what Brandon got for Buckart (2) 3rd round picks. Any teams that figure they are a contender already have quality 20 year old players. Any of the other teams will not be willing to invest a lot in a 20 year old player and keep any picks for the future.

There are still contending teams (or at least playoff teams) that can use an overage upgrade, IMO. And Kanzig would fit that bill. But it's up to what Calgary decides. To me it would be an easy decision. Unless a team blows them away with an offer for Kanzig, Burke would be the guy I get rid of. Then again it would be hard to find a home for an overage sub-par goaltender. It's a tough call. It would be easier to get rid of Kanzig as I don't see them moving Harmsworth or Houck.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I'd dump Burke but then again I think he's an awful goalie. Kanzig would fetch a better return.

Before the year I would have said yeah, but he's the only goalie that's been any good for them this year. It depends what Calgary wants to get out of this season. I don't think they are going anywhere this year, Kanzig or no Kanzig, so if they can get something for him they should deal him.

Last edited:

Hordichuk_24

Before the year I would have said yeah, but he's the only goalie that's been any good for them this year.

It's early yet. I have zero faith in Burke. I don't believe he is a starting goaltender and certainly not a pro prospect. How he was ever drafted (beyond his name) is mind boggling. Even with connections drafting him was absurd. He is the kind of player you invite to camp not waste a pick on. Anyway enough ripping Burke. I think Porter could be a starter at some point. Especially if given an opportunity with a better team in front of him.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
It's early yet. I have zero faith in Burke. I don't believe he is a starting goaltender and certainly not a pro prospect. How he was ever drafted (beyond his name) is mind boggling. Even with connections drafting him was absurd. He is the kind of player you invite to camp not waste a pick on. Anyway enough ripping Burke. I think Porter could be a starter at some point. Especially if given an opportunity with a better team in front of him.

Even if they wanted to hand Porter the job and cut bait with Burke they don't have anyone to shoulder the load with Porter. Dumba isn't ready for the WHL.

I'll be interested to see what they do.

MBJets

Dec 22, 2003
Visit site
Rebels will be making trades, probably will make an attempt to get Brayden Point.
Calgary could possibly trade Sanheim to a contender, my guess is the Royals.

Do the Rebels have enough picks left to trade and/or young players to deal for a star player

tinyrd

May 19, 2014
Rebels picks

Do the Rebels have enough picks left to trade and/or young players to deal for a star player

I tried to check "Small thoughts" to determine draft picks for the next three years. I am not sure I am up to date (or even correct) but I believe the following is close to the number of picks the Red Deer Rebels have to date:
2016 2017 2018
rnd one 1 1 1
rnd two 2 1 1
rnd three 2 0 1
rnd four 2 3 1
rnd five 0 3 1
rnd six 1 1 1
rdn seven 1 2 1
all other rounds 1
To me this looks like a fair reserve for dealing.
I would appreciate help from anyone that can correct me on the above. TKs.

Oblivion

Oct 2, 2008
Calgary
I'm inclined to think Kanzig will get moved as well given they just got Houck, they need Burke (can't play Dumba) and Harmsworth, despite being worse, has been captain for seriously like two weeks....

I'd like to see them get offense but seems it'll be straight picks overager kind of deal (sigh).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad