Possible solution to the playoff cap circumvention

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
That isn't a problem during regular season so it shouldn't be for playoffs either.

Players are not being paid in the playoffs so no cap. You potential play more games in a shorter period of time then you do a regular season excluding this year thus the risk of injury can be potentially bigger. NHL or the NHLPA will never agree to screw themselves. The majority of fans would never agree to it.

If Ovi had missed all season and came back to the playoffs. And he can't play cause of the cap, you think the fans would like that idea. No.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I think this would work best.

Pfft all 32 owners would never agree to that idea. Welcome to crappy product that you are asking season ticket holders to pay money to.. WHy should people pay that kid of money to only see teams having 2/3 of a roster cause of injuries and can't replace them. That creates an unfair advantage to teams that have healthier rosters.

Reactions: J T Money

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Players are not being paid in the playoffs so no cap. You potential play more games in a shorter period of time then you do a regular season excluding this year thus the risk of injury can be potentially bigger. NHL or the NHLPA will never agree to screw themselves. The majority of fans would never agree to it.

If Ovi had missed all season and came back to the playoffs. And he can't play cause of the cap, you think the fans would like that idea. No.

Don't makes moves that would put you over the cap when a high contract player returns from injury.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Tampa should be applauded for building a team so good that it can be without arguably their best player for an entire season and still be an elite team in the league.

That being said, there's something fundamentally wrong with being allowed to just add an elite player like that for the playoffs out of nowhere.
Other teams should get good enough to do it because, in case you didn't know...the same rules apply to everyone.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
@BrainOfJ . . . and for what?

For nothing really.

Once they apply escrow, the owners as a group won't make a nickle more and the players as a group won't make a nickle less. The each get 50% of HRR -- even if, at present, that might take years. It will eventually even out.

The losers are the fans who see healthy players sitting in the press box that everyone would rather see on the ice.

Speaking of losers . . . more than enough sore ones around here. At least 8 for one side, and maybe none for the other.

Last edited:
Reactions: J T Money

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
Bolts had about $2m cap space at the end of the season, so could have activated Kucherov (1/56 of $9.5m). Same as TD cap hits are pro rated. If all the games have been played then the cap hit is $0.

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
Pfft all 32 owners would never agree to that idea. Welcome to crappy product that you are asking season ticket holders to pay money to.. WHy should people pay that kid of money to only see teams having 2/3 of a roster cause of injuries and can't replace them. That creates an unfair advantage to teams that have healthier rosters.

Seems like teams have iced 2/3rds of a roster plenty of times in the cap era. How often are teams actually able to take advantage of LTIR? It seems like it's just powerhouse teams that are able to use it and they do so unfairly. Mandating that teams not go over the cap with LTIR would at worst bring the cap down artificially as teams would need to leave cap room for injuries. Can definitely see Bettman on board with that and teams following his lead.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
I think for most teams, benching their best player for the season is not a viable strategy. So, I don't see this becoming a trend

Reactions: Ciao

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Could just make a rule that the total cap hits of a dressed roster cannot exceed the cap ceiling. You can have a 100 million dollar roster, but the 20 guys you dress can't add up to more than 81.5 million.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
That's not how things work... When i had my throat and nose surgery i had to schedule it to take place 3-4 months later. If they had to wait until after the schedule came out to schedule the surgery he could had been out even longer..

You're not an NHL team

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
He had groin issues in the playoffs. Then he had hip issues. They tried non-surgical methods then pulled the trigger on surgery. Most of these facts have been covered in the countless other threads crying about this.

Kucherov also returned faster than what the typical return time was for a hockey player having this surgery. Seems like Tampa's conspiracy was cutting it kind of close.

Okay, this is pointless, you're never going to see the truth... you've got your blinder on, it's okay I've been there

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Okay, this is pointless, you're never going to see the truth... you've got your blinder on, it's okay I've been there
Right. When you don't have a leg to stand on, insult the person who has a different opinion.

I'm talking about the actual facts and timeline of events. You've been talking vague conspiracy.

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Right. When you don't have a leg to stand on, insult the person who has a different opinion.

I'm talking about the actual facts and timeline of events. You've been talking vague conspiracy.

Okay, bud you believe whatever you want. I could bring you a written confession and you'd deny it... Just blindly believing that it just so happened that TB freed up over 8 million to sign all their RFA's and add, then Kucherov isn't quite ready before game 1 of the playoffs, even though there was loads of video of him skating over a month before the playoffs started... TB absolutely lied about his health so they wouldn't have to lose players to get cap compliant

10 years from now you'll look at this and think, yep they did that

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Okay, bud you believe whatever you want. I could bring you a written confession and you'd deny it... Just blindly believing that it just so happened that TB freed up over 8 million to sign all their RFA's and add, then Kucherov isn't quite ready before game 1 of the playoffs, even though there was loads of video of him skating over a month before the playoffs started... TB absolutely lied about his health so they wouldn't have to lose players to get cap compliant

10 years from now you'll look at this and think, yep they did that
10 years? 10 weeks from now I won't think about this at all.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
Just make a minimum games played rule.

Player X needs to play a minimum of 10 regular season games to be eligible for the playoffs for example.
Exemptions allowed for players on ELCs.

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
Just make a minimum games played rule.

Player X needs to play a minimum of 10 regular season games to be eligible for the playoffs for example.
Exemptions allowed for players on ELCs.
My thought and it wouldn't have impacted Tampa Bay much (Maybe one contract) would be they are ineligible for the playoffs if 25% of their Contract hasn't counted against the cap.
so a guy gets injured game 8. if the team wants him to be eligible for the playoffs he will get 15% (roughly) more against the cap then he played. It keeps people getting hurt in the season to potentially recover and yet isn't a blank slate. And minimally affect the intended use of LTIR (IMO)
Agreed on the ELC. and the playoffs would still have no cap per se.

Reactions: Ace Card Bedard

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I wonder if kuch hadn't started the playoffs red hot if people would have even thought about this

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
Would like to see what others think

you cant simply turn the cap on in the playoffs, as this affects guys coming back from ltir and, ultimately, would cause less trades and general player movement (which isnt good gmfor the league)

So what if you instill a 'taxi squad' and on-ice caphit for the playoffs? Lets use Tampa for an example

Reg season Cap hit of 81.5, so the on-ice caphit is the same. Kucherov is ready to come back and so Tampa Bay 'taxi squads' Johnson and whatever else necessary to get under the cap figure. This doesnt include the AHL.

This works in the sense that teams still cant load up and just 'taxi squad' extra bodies for rest, as theyd have to meet The trade deadline cap ceiling in the first place. So its strictly a move to prevent LTIR from causing such a disturbance again

What are the general publics thoughts? Not a very complicated idea but Im sure theres something Im missing; otherwise the NHL would have a solution to this already (though maybe there never was a need for one)
A player mustplay a certain number of regular season games to be eligible for the playoffs.

Cap hit should be the same as regular season.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
You can't deny the that is healthy the ability to play, you either wavie/AHL or play him in the playoffs. You can't bar someone cause of an injury that made him miss games. The league would lose that one in a heart beat.

Then let the players fight it. If Tampa can be that good without him during the regular season, then they can be that good without him in the playoffs.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
This isn't about the rules.
Yes, yes it is? What else what it be about? Are you just ignoring everything? No rules were broken, and if feelings are hurt than that is irrelevant. Feelings being hurt doesn't mean that no other team is barred or hindered from doing the same thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad