Possible solution to the playoff cap circumvention

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
good luck getting the union to agree to that or any owner wanting to introduce to that. So you rather have 12 to 14 players in the playoffs and can't call anyone up cause of the cap. There is a reason why there is no cap in the playoffs. It'll allow teams to call up players as necessary and not have to worry about restrictions.

How will you have just 12 to 14 players for the playoffs if the cap is the same? That just makes no sense whatsoever what you said.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
Yeah that's what it comes down to. Fans who are mad about Tampa's superteam that they built organically would rather have no NHL season at all. Basically a "take my ball and go home" mentality.

Tampa should be applauded for building a team so good that it can be without arguably their best player for an entire season and still be an elite team in the league.

That being said, there's something fundamentally wrong with being allowed to just add an elite player like that for the playoffs out of nowhere.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Tampa should be applauded for building a team so good that it can be without arguably their best player for an entire season and still be an elite team in the league.

That being said, there's something fundamentally wrong with being allowed to just add an elite player like that for the playoffs out of nowhere.
Out of nowhere? He's been on their team for a while.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
I don’t think there’s really an issue here. Tampa Bay has a deeper than normal playoff roster due to a lack of cap in the playoffs etc. But how many teams would actually be able to withstand the loss of a Kucherov and still make the playoffs? Or be able to find $9 million in replacement talent in a pinch?

If it’s a lucky break that’s fine with me. If it’s a 4D chess circumvention of the cap, now the other 31 teams have the same road map. Have at her.

This isn't the point.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
[mod] You know what I mean.
I mean I think having a star player injured and still making the postseason is commendable, you made it sound as though he was some ringer they pulled in for the playoffs like a beer league team that grabs a guy who played Major Juniors at the end to win the championship.

Last edited by a moderator:

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
There’s no “spirit” to the CBA. It’s a document concocted by lawyers and accountants to generate cost certainty and profit for owners while sold to the paying audience as level playing field and has arguably made the excel spreadsheet center of focus ahead of the true purpose of the game, which is to construct great teams like Tampa and have high level hockey.

From an equity point of view, teams will look for competitive advantages. But I think the league needs to move to a luxury tax system where those Tampa overages are taxed and given back to more budget clubs so their product gets better.

The spirit of the CBA doesn't exist? Then why did the Devils get punished?

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
I mean I think having a star player injured and still making the postseason is commendable, you made it sound as though he was some ringer they pulled in for the playoffs like a beer league team that grabs a guy who played Major Juniors at the end to win the championship.

I already mentioned that what Tampa built is commendable. That's completely not the point.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
LTIR contracts should count against the cap unless the team elects to suspend the player's season and playoffs.

Good lucky getting anyone to agree to that idea. You can have a team with 5-6 on LTIR and pretty much be screwed since you cant bring anyone up cause of the cap if LTIR still counted against the cap.

member 96824

good luck getting the union to agree to that or any owner wanting to introduce to that. So you rather have 12 to 14 players in the playoffs and can't call anyone up cause of the cap. There is a reason why there is no cap in the playoffs. It'll allow teams to call up players as necessary and not have to worry about restrictions.

That and it would be a nightmare to execute on.

Cap is a daily calculation. You extend into playoffs and you either have A. All teams operating on different calculations (i.e. team who misses playoffs operates on 185 days. Team who loses in the 1st round 195, team in the stanley cup 245?) or B. Daily is extended out to as long as possible and half the league is operating under a cap that's irrelevant to them because they're playing 185 days but operating with a 245 day cap?

and for what? To make sure we're taking money away from the players and putting it in the owners pocket by enforcing a harder cap?

ijuka

May 14, 2016
The solution is simple: Just enforce it during playoffs.

Don't need any fancy solutions at all.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Correct. No regular season games should mean no playoffs. Let the Union fight it.

You can't deny the that is healthy the ability to play, you either wavie/AHL or play him in the playoffs. You can't bar someone cause of an injury that made him miss games. The league would lose that one in a heart beat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad