Possible solution to the playoff cap circumvention

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
It is just creating problems for the sake of problems. So, first you put a salary cap on the playoffs, then you add more regulations that prevent circumvention. It is just easir and better to leave things as they are. No salary cap in the playoffs- so no circumvention. Or just remove the salary cap and let some owners and the PA whine.

Reactions: Villella McMeans

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Yes, it's certainly possible. I'm not sure how much cost uncertainty this is going to create for the Owners that would cause them to want to change the CBA over it and the players association would certainly be pissed if they changed it.

Owners will inevitably do what the consumer wants, 31 fan bases are angry that this has been allowed

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Owners will inevitably do what the consumer wants, 31 fan bases are angry that this has been allowed
Outside of a couple people on the internet, I doubt enough people are too upset, and the people that are upset are not the people the NHL is too worried about losing. Like if 10 people in total actually "boycott" the NHL over those I'd be shocked.

Reactions: Ciao

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
If you want them to listen, stop watching hockey. Otherwise, they don't give a damn what you want.

Outside of a couple people on the internet, I doubt enough people are too upset, and the people that are upset are not the people the NHL is too worried about losing. Like if 10 people in total actually "boycott" the NHL over those I'd be shocked.

Ya, you're both right, they won't stop it.. Oh well, unfortunately I cheer for a discount team that wouldn't dream of spending money

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

And the union would automatically object to it. So you rather lose another entire season over something that teams were allowed do for since ever.

A few people do not speak for the entire fanbase that watch the NHL. And those few people do not speak for the union.

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
And the union would automatically object to it. So you rather lose another entire season over something that teams were allowed do for since ever.

A few people do not speak for the entire fanbase that watch the NHL. And those few people do not speak for the union.

I've already conceded that they aren't going to change anything... no need to continue yipping at me

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Pandemic doesn't excuse what they've done, as it shouldn't. They knew how many games they were going to play and when the playoffs would start before a certain someone had his surgery. Do you actually believe that was a coincidence?
It's certainly doesn't look like one, but who knows?
Are you suggesting Kucherov had surgery to circumvent the cap? Or that he should've played the season with a bad hip?

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Are you suggesting Kucherov had surgery to circumvent the cap? Or that he should've played the season with a bad hip?

I'm suggesting he had surgery at the appropriate time to put his return at game 1 of the playoffs because that's what they did
He had hip issues after the last playoffs, didn't do anything until the NHL dropped the schedule and how many months the season would be
and then he went ahead and did it

Props to TB for being able to compete without one of their best players tho, nobody else could do it

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I'm suggesting he had surgery at the appropriate time to put his return at game 1 of the playoffs because that's what they did
He had hip issues after the last playoffs, didn't do anything until the NHL dropped the schedule and how many months the season would be

Props to TB for being able to compete without one of their best players tho, nobody else could do it

And how was tampa or he suppose to know when the schedule was suppose to come out...

Villella McMeans

Using the Force...
May 3, 2021
Chinatown
I would happily have another lockout to get rid of this stupidity with the cap because right now the cap is actually kind of pointless.

I would also support other measures such as independent medical examinations prior to the playoffs and scaling cap hits for each round. Either way, the current system cannot continue.

Yeah, salary caps and most regulations are useless, owners have to control their spending on their own.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
People are whining just cause two players got hurt and was LTIR that happent o be tampa the highest salary players... If these two players were only making 2-3m each people wouldn't be whining at all...

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012
Solution is pretty simple. Each player has some cap hit, right?
All cap hits combined musn't surpass the cap threshold. In every game, regular and post season.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
The answer is very simple. Just have the 20 man roster for each playoff game be cap compliant by AAV.

The union nor the 32 team would EVER ever agree to that. SO you rather be down to 16 players in the playoffs cause of injuries and you can't call anyone up cause of the cap...

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
It's pretty simple, they wait until the NHL announces it

That's not how things work... When i had my throat and nose surgery i had to schedule it to take place 3-4 months later. If they had to wait until after the schedule came out to schedule the surgery he could had been out even longer..

A Plus

Jun 20, 2021
New Jersey
NHL players have commented on the situation

its more than just ten people and more than just fans objecting

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
NHL players have commented on the situation

its more than just ten people and more than just fans objecting
NHL Player, one commented on it. Don't pretend 1 person represents the PA. Also the reason the Toronto Sports Network and Sportsnet mention it is because they pander to their audience. Its the same reason they misinterpret and misrepresent what actually is going on and do the same for other pieces that involve Canadian fans whinging about things.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Solution is pretty simple. Each player has some cap hit, right?
All cap hits combined musn't surpass the cap threshold. In every game, regular and post season.
Player's aren't paid salaries in the playoffs, and a contract year in hockey isn't a full year. It was amended this year for the shortened season.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

He had groin issues in the playoffs. Then he had hip issues. They tried non-surgical methods then pulled the trigger on surgery. Most of these facts have been covered in the countless other threads crying about this.

Kucherov also returned faster than what the typical return time was for a hockey player having this surgery. Seems like Tampa's conspiracy was cutting it kind of close.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
He had groin issues in the playoffs. Then he had hip issues. They tried non-surgical methods then pulled the trigger on surgery. Most of these facts have been covered in the countless other threads crying about this.

Kucherov also returned faster than what the typical return time was for a hockey player having this surgery. Seems like Tampa's conspiracy was cutting it kind of close.
I explained it earlier in the thread, got crickets. Because showing the dates makes the conspiracy harder to believe. NHLQAnon believers can't have their world crumble.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

Its stupid. its as if everyone is suddenly a medical expert... Nevermind the boss of the NHLPA and the NHL and the union and league must bow down to what ever we say... Honest the union and league doesn't give a rip what we think. If the enough of the 32 owners had a problem with it they'll take take it up with the NHLPA and do something about it. Here's the thing the league won't change a thing and the union would never agree to such a change.

There are other things to deal with the union about this isn't one of them. No not create a mess with the union that doesn't exist. Until there's enough folks that have a say in this matter that believe something should be changed only then it'll get changed.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Salary Cap in the playoffs just like regular season that is all.

good luck getting the union to agree to that or any owner wanting to introduce to that. So you rather have 12 to 14 players in the playoffs and can't call anyone up cause of the cap. There is a reason why there is no cap in the playoffs. It'll allow teams to call up players as necessary and not have to worry about restrictions.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
NHL Player, one commented on it. Don't pretend 1 person represents the PA. Also the reason the Toronto Sports Network and Sportsnet mention it is because they pander to their audience. Its the same reason they misinterpret and misrepresent what actually is going on and do the same for other pieces that involve Canadian fans whinging about things.

Also the NHLPA and the league and the 32 owners do not give a rip what we think, they only care what the NHLPA (as a whole) and the fellow owners think of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad