Possible return of the Quebec Nordiques?

Status
Not open for further replies.

buckyhockey8

Jun 13, 2005
Madison, WI
Gnashville said:
We've seen ice before, This is not LA
Nashville forecast BTW it much colder than that here.
Yes the economics have changed cities like Nashville and Raleigh can support franchises averaging 12K a night and be competive. Why even mention Dallas they are doing just fine. Like I have said in several of the threads bashing the South No one talks about Attendance problems in Basketball, Baseball, and Football. But Hockey it has to be a full house every night 42 times a season or the team/market is a failure :shakehead. I guess the Toronto Blue Jays and Raptors are failures, or for that matter the Canucks in the 80's :sarcasm:.
I clicked the link and your high is 42F today our high is 13F and I live in Wisconsin, 42 sounds like t-shirt and shorts weather right now. When they say never seen ice what I assume is that kids don't play shinny on the local pond. I could be wrong but to my knowledge your ponds don't get an ice cover strong enough to skate on. Is this correct?

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Jordoe28 said:
Why would you do that, the Sens are among the top 3 in attendance this year, and all Canadian teams are among the top 10.
Because I find it funny to see the reactions from people who suggest relocation when it's their team getting moved.

jester099

Aug 19, 2005
Montreal
Troy McClure said:
Dallas has more people with more money and more businesses with more money. That's all that matters. Quebec City has a metro population of around 671,000. Dallas/Ft. Worth has a combined 5.2 million. Dallas is a better NHL market than Quebec City. Sorry.

So what. Who cares about them.

Before 1993, you could only go ice skating at about 3 places. Finding a league to play hockey was tough. Now, every suburban high school has a hockey team. All the local colleges have club hockey. There are 6 Stars owned ice complexes around the Metroplex with 5 or six other ice rinks owned by other people. Between the ice league and inline leagues, you have a whole lot of people of all ages playing hockey that wouldn't have had the Stars not moved there.

What you and others like you don't get is that this is a long term investment for the NHL. They don't care that the 50 somethings in a football town don't watch hockey, but they do care that thousands and thousands of kids do care and are playing. There are more pro hockey teams in Texas than all of Canada, so spare me your ignorant BS.

Bravo... Let's make it the hockey capital of the world...

Sure the city is big, but I'd rather see hockey in markets where the people care about the game than hockey in markets where lots of business are looking for ways to fidelize their clients buy giving them gifts...

But that's just me...

Sure hockey is growing in popularity, but it's still nowhere close to the popularity it has in Quebec or Winnipeg.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
jester099 said:
Bravo... Let's make it the hockey capital of the world...

Sure the city is big, but I'd rather see hockey in markets where the people care about the game than hockey in markets where lots of business are looking for ways to fidelize their clients buy giving them gifts...

But that's just me...

Sure hockey is growing in popularity, but it's still nowhere close to the popularity it has in Quebec or Winnipeg.
You're dealing in emotion, Owners are dealing in reality.

Moon Man*

Troy McClure said:
Before 1993, you could only go ice skating at about 3 places. Finding a league to play hockey was tough. Now, every suburban high school has a hockey team. All the local colleges have club hockey. There are 6 Stars owned ice complexes around the Metroplex with 5 or six other ice rinks owned by other people. Between the ice league and inline leagues, you have a whole lot of people of all ages playing hockey that wouldn't have had the Stars not moved there.

What you and others like you don't get is that this is a long term investment for the NHL. They don't care that the 50 somethings in a football town don't watch hockey, but they do care that thousands and thousands of kids do care and are playing. There are more pro hockey teams in Texas than all of Canada, so spare me your ignorant BS.

I've heard of the work being done in Dallas to cement youth interest in the NHL and hockey, and it is fantastic.

CBC and TSN can put reporters on the street in Dallas, Tampa, and Nashville during the playoffs just to ask senior citizens "Do you know who the Lightning are?... Do you know what the Stanley Cup is?" just to try and give the people back home a warm fuzzy feeling of pride and make it seem like no one south of the 49th parallel gives a crap about hockey... but in each of those cities, hockey is in fact growing by leaps and bounds, and within one generation, if southern teams like Carolina can handle the growing pains, the NHL will be there to stay.

Some of the fans of southern teams have to forgive the brainwashing Canadians have been getting by the sports media here. They just love stirring up feelings of envy and jealousy when it comes to the great Canadian pastime being nurtured and grown elsewhere.

Pothier

Aug 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
19nazzy said:
Kanata is definately growing.

My dad used to live 10 minutes away from the CC. Always cool to drive by there

I live 5 minutes away from the Corel Centre! :p:

New homes are already being built around the Corel Centre. A Costco just opened up basically right beside the CC. Soon, there will be nothing left of what was once "the field".

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
buckyhockey8 said:
I clicked the link and your high is 42F today our high is 13F and I live in Wisconsin, 42 sounds like t-shirt and shorts weather right now. When they say never seen ice what I assume is that kids don't play shinny on the local pond. I could be wrong but to my knowledge your ponds don't get an ice cover strong enough to skate on. Is this correct?
The link was meant as sarcasim to anyone that thinks it's 75 and sunny in the Wintertime in TN.

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
Battochio30 said:
I live 5 minutes away from the Corel Centre! :p:

New homes are already being built around the Corel Centre. A Costco just opened up basically right beside the CC. Soon, there will be nothing left of what was once "the field".
Actually, I always considered "the field" to extend from Moodie to Castlefrank. ;)

jester099

Aug 19, 2005
Montreal
Gnashville said:
You're dealing in emotion, Owners are dealing in reality.

Even If I don't think Dallas is where hockey is most popular, I think it's a decent hockey place... I just mentioned that it's not because they have a lot of attendance that everybody in the Dallas is pationate about the Stars...

On the other hands, I couldn't help to notice Tampa needed Hulk Hogan to attract people to hockey games in the playoffs, or that Jay Feaster needed to go wash the car of people to sell them 10 tickets...

Can't say this looks like a very good hockey market.

Even if I understand there is more people in Florida than in Winnipeg, I can't see how it's a very sound business decision to ignore a market where the product is already sold to go to a bigger market where almost nobody cares...

RLC

Aug 7, 2004
Montreal
I looked into my crystal ball.
Looked long and hard.
I saw many events in the future.
Strange flying objects.
People but not people more like creatures.
A grassy plain with no more trees.
A old path leading to an ancient building.
As I looked up, a broken rusty neon sign.
It was clear many a century had passed to create such antiquity.
The sign read,

"Nordiques 5 Montreal 2
Prochain match Mardi 12 Oct 2112".

Then awakned from my gaze I heard my mother call
" Michel De Nostredame" vien ici tout de suite.

The image was gone, the crystal lay silent.
I know not the meaning of this revelation, it was yet another the crystal had shown me. One day I should lay them to paper with earnest, but for now my diary will suffice.

AEKaki

futurcorerock said:
:shakehead

Oklahoma City Oilers

Kansas City Penguins

Houston Flames

Sorry, but the southern US has a much better infastructure for supporting pro teams than Quebec City, or any other non-pro sports Canadian city for that matter.

Also, They have money and investors.

Best of luck to QC, but I think they are in the running with American investors, and that is a fast race when you consider who's involved. Where were they in 1995 when they could've locked the Nords into QC with a cup win?

Yes, but Quebec City will have more supporters. They love their hockey there...

Drop The Gloves

Mar 11, 2004
Amherst, NY
It would be cool to have Quebec City have a NHL team again.

Also, Hamilton will never get a NHL franchise as long as Buffalo and Toronto are tehre.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
What many of you are forgetting is that a good "hockey town" is not always a good "NHL town". There are plenty of markets where they love hockey to death, that would never be able to support the financial realities of an NHL team, even with the current CBA.

Kansas City (new arena, 2008) and Houston (New arena, 2003) are FAR more likely to get NHL Teams than any Canadian market, Quebec included -- because they have a better potential for financial rewards. Anschutz knows squat about hockey (as the Kings' performance has shown), but he knows real estate, and he'll get himself an anchor tenant for the KC arena, whether it be NHL or NBA or both. Winnipeg is out of the running because their arena condemns them to the bottom half or third of the attendance rankings, even if they sold out every night. Quebec may love their hockey, but they don't love the NHL as much as Les Alexander would in order to pair the Rockets with an NHL team in his NHL-ready arena.

It's dollars and cents. Any argument that trashes KC and Houston (or Dallas) on grounds that they're not "as good hockey cities" is completley irrelevant.

How much money can owners make -- that is the ONLY question to answer, period. And the potential is more in KC and Houston, at the moment, than it is in Quebec and Winnipeg. Now, might teams there fail? Sure -- and THEN it would be time to visit the Quebec and Winnipeg options. But not until then.

znk

Nov 5, 2005
Montreal
I heard a rumour on the radio that Guy Laliberté (Cirque du soleil founder and gazillionair) was considering building a new arena in quebec.

jester099

Aug 19, 2005
Montreal
HansH said:
What many of you are forgetting is that a good "hockey town" is not always a good "NHL town". There are plenty of markets where they love hockey to death, that would never be able to support the financial realities of an NHL team, even with the current CBA.

Kansas City (new arena, 2008) and Houston (New arena, 2003) are FAR more likely to get NHL Teams than any Canadian market, Quebec included -- because they have a better potential for financial rewards. Anschutz knows squat about hockey (as the Kings' performance has shown), but he knows real estate, and he'll get himself an anchor tenant for the KC arena, whether it be NHL or NBA or both. Winnipeg is out of the running because their arena condemns them to the bottom half or third of the attendance rankings, even if they sold out every night. Quebec may love their hockey, but they don't love the NHL as much as Les Alexander would in order to pair the Rockets with an NHL team in his NHL-ready arena.

It's dollars and cents. Any argument that trashes KC and Houston (or Dallas) on grounds that they're not "as good hockey cities" is completley irrelevant.

How much money can owners make -- that is the ONLY question to answer, period. And the potential is more in KC and Houston, at the moment, than it is in Quebec and Winnipeg. Now, might teams there fail? Sure -- and THEN it would be time to visit the Quebec and Winnipeg options. But not until then.

I'm not sure in the hockey world this is always true... I think a lot of other factors than profits come into play...

Sure profits are a big part of the equation, but if it was only profits, teams like the Oilers would've already folded IMHO.

With the new CBA, cities like Edmonton and Quebec and Winnipeg have the means to be competitive, and that with a lot of work from influantial and rich people may be all that is needed to bring back hockey to these cities...

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
John Flyers Fan said:
Take a look at their road games to date and that will show you why they are such a bad road draw. It's because they've only played 4 games in places that will sellout. The other games have been against teams that draw terribly at home, regardless of the opponent.

Florida
Pittsburgh
Washington - 3
Atlanta - 3
New Jersey
Carolina

Ottawa
Toronto
Montreal
Philadelphia

Of that list, Florida is their #1 rival, Carolina and Atlanta should be strong rivals and the Pens home attendance has been pretty good for the most part.

I'm not reading into it but I still find it interesting that the holders of the Cup would be on the bottom in road attendance...but they certainly appear to be drawing well at home.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
jester099 said:
Yeah... why let lack of interest from fans get in the way of franchises in the south of the US.
Lack of interest?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/attendance?sort=home_capacity_avg&year=2006

Sure says something when Florida can outdraw Anaheim, Chicago and St Louis, eh? Tampa Bay does better than the Habs and Leafs?

I think the NHL has made it apparent that it's interests remain in the United States. You can't play favors and niceties in business when your opportunity cost is higher elsewhere.

That's why US Steel isn't in Pittsburg anymore. That's why GM isn't in Flint.

Last edited:

puckhead103*

SammyTheBull said:
Marcel Aubut and others are pushing for the return of the Quebec Nordiques. But to do this quebec city would need a new sports venue and that decision lays in the hands of the Mayor and the municipality. The mayor has been against the idea of a new sports venue in quebec city but Marcel said on RDS that he has a good relationship with her. Maybe he will presuade her ;)

We'll see what develops from this :)

The article is in french :sarcasm:

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/193454.html

i thought quebec had a new mayor (who is a man)who is in favor of building a new arena?

puckhead103*

quebec_nordiques said:
Im from quebec city and we dont have a arena for this. The colisee where the nordiques played many years ago are 60 years old. Im 24 years old and i dont think i will see another nhl team a day. And the new mayor "a 72 years old grand-mommy" hate sports.
who was the other mayor in primary? i read he was pro-nordiques and pro arena....

why did they choose an old bat to run the city?

Hockeycanada*

znk said:
I heard a rumour on the radio that Guy Laliberté (Cirque du soleil founder and gazillionair) was considering building a new arena in quebec.
Nope, according to these American posters, Canada will never get another NHL team, this Guy character is just an illusion. :sarcasm: :shakehead

I am very confident that an NHL team will be located in Canada in the next 15 years.

puckhead103*

Newfie Jesus said:
I've heard of the work being done in Dallas to cement youth interest in the NHL and hockey, and it is fantastic.

CBC and TSN can put reporters on the street in Dallas, Tampa, and Nashville during the playoffs just to ask senior citizens "Do you know who the Lightning are?... Do you know what the Stanley Cup is?" just to try and give the people back home a warm fuzzy feeling of pride and make it seem like no one south of the 49th parallel gives a crap about hockey... but in each of those cities, hockey is in fact growing by leaps and bounds, and within one generation, if southern teams like Carolina can handle the growing pains, the NHL will be there to stay.

Some of the fans of southern teams have to forgive the brainwashing Canadians have been getting by the sports media here. They just love stirring up feelings of envy and jealousy when it comes to the great Canadian pastime being nurtured and grown elsewhere.

nhl will never get a big lucrative TV contract even though the US has a better capitalistic infrastructure to support nhl teams...

overall americans STILL hate hockey.....its a niche sport...period....

right now NASCAR has a $4.48 billion US tv contract....which the nhl WILL NEVER SEE OR GET that much of money even if there were one canadian team (toronto) and all 29 were US....

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory?id=1383136

this is coming from an american.....

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Hockeycanada said:
Nope, according to these American posters, Canada will never get another NHL team, this Guy character is just an illusion. :sarcasm: :shakehead

I am very confident that an NHL team will be located in Canada in the next 15 years.
It's not that -- It's the absurdity that some people (seems to be Canadians or big-market Americans if you want to get into demographics) feel that the south is going to be moved to places like Winnipeg and Quebec City

These cities lost their teams for a reason.

Predonater

Dec 3, 2005
Nashville
www.pbase.com
Kingbobert said:
seriously why even think of moving ottawa????

God i wish the nord come back...

it's not fiar that theres a battle of alberta, ontario, new york, florida, LA
what about quebec esti collisse de poutine de maywest de pepsi...??? hmmm

ya thats what i thought...

the only thing that suck about ottawa is the dang corel center in the middle of nowhere...beautiful arena though...amazing parking...but gotta slow down and watch for the cows...hehe

but i mean wow..ottawas citizens took that main concern they had about the location and made it seem as if it was 2 mins from downtown

LOL!! When my wife and I were up there for the Preds game last season, we were intrigued by the cow pasture across the way. Very nice drive to the arena though. Beautiful country up there north of the border. Ottawa is a dream city as well. We plan on going back real soon to take in the sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->