Possible return of the Quebec Nordiques?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SammyTheBull

Dec 1, 2005
Marcel Aubut and others are pushing for the return of the Quebec Nordiques. But to do this quebec city would need a new sports venue and that decision lays in the hands of the Mayor and the municipality. The mayor has been against the idea of a new sports venue in quebec city but Marcel said on RDS that he has a good relationship with her. Maybe he will presuade her ;)

We'll see what develops from this :)

The article is in french :sarcasm:

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/193454.html

Mace_37

Nov 27, 2005
Canada
They'll be like wild. All proud of their team until someone says "pst, you know that after they left our town, our team won the cup, right?"
If they come back, they won't be the Nordiques. But I hope that they do, same with winnipeg. We need more Canadian teams. But the NHL won't let more than 30 teams in the league, they'll have to snatch then from the southern US if Quebec City wants another team.

Creamy Freshness

Jul 29, 2005
More like the Quebec Panthers or Hurricanes, I'd say. The Quebec Thrashers kind of has a nice ring to it, too.

Moon Man*

This thread is going to go over like a lead balloon...

...but I'd love to see Quebec City back in the League

quebec_nordiques

Sep 8, 2005
Quebec City
Mace_37 said:
They'll be like wild. All proud of their team until someone says "pst, you know that after they left our town, our team won the cup, right?"
If they come back, they won't be the Nordiques. But I hope that they do, same with winnipeg. We need more Canadian teams. But the NHL won't let more than 30 teams in the league, they'll have to snatch then from the southern US if Quebec City wants another team.

Im from quebec city and we dont have a arena for this. The colisee where the nordiques played many years ago are 60 years old. Im 24 years old and i dont think i will see another nhl team a day. And the new mayor "a 72 years old grand-mommy" hate sports.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
SammyTheBull said:
The mayor has been against the idea of a new sports venue in quebec city
So would I. Why build a giant, expensive arena when there is no team to fill it?

Mace_37 said:
But the NHL won't let more than 30 teams in the league, they'll have to snatch then from the southern US if Quebec City wants another team.
I say take one from Canada. The Quebec Senators has a nice ring to it.

Verbeek

Human see, human do.
Jul 19, 2005
Pittsburgh
Too bad the Nordiques will never really be back. No way they get the rights off the Avalanche.. who I assume still own the name and logo.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Ottawa will be here to stay. Why even joke about it? Our attendance is great (avg 6th in the NHL, 2nd in the NHL in attendance %), our owner seems commited and loaded. I know some people hate hearing about relocating US teams to Canada but its clearly more realistic than relocating teams with solid fanbases and support.

Kingbobert

Jul 15, 2005
Montreal
seriously why even think of moving ottawa????

God i wish the nord come back...

it's not fiar that theres a battle of alberta, ontario, new york, florida, LA
what about quebec esti collisse de poutine de maywest de pepsi...??? hmmm

ya thats what i thought...

the only thing that suck about ottawa is the dang corel center in the middle of nowhere...beautiful arena though...amazing parking...but gotta slow down and watch for the cows...hehe

but i mean wow..ottawas citizens took that main concern they had about the location and made it seem as if it was 2 mins from downtown

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Kingbobert said:
seriously why even think of moving ottawa????

God i wish the nord come back...

it's not fiar that theres a battle of alberta, ontario, new york, florida, LA
what about quebec esti collisse de poutine de maywest de pepsi...??? hmmm

ya thats what i thought...

the only thing that suck about ottawa is the dang corel center in the middle of nowhere...beautiful arena though...amazing parking...but gotta slow down and watch for the cows...hehe

but i mean wow..ottawas citizens took that main concern they had about the location and made it seem as if it was 2 mins from downtown

Its pretty good for Kanata though. Almost 15 years later and there is some MAJOR development around the area. Kanata is a sizeable suberb that litterally popped up because of the CC.

19nazzy

Jul 14, 2003
Kanata is definately growing.

My dad used to live 10 minutes away from the CC. Always cool to drive by there

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
With the new CBA, the league can definitely support two hockey franchises in Winnipeg and Quebec if they can fulfill their responsibilities of putting up two modern stadiums and come up with sustainable business plans.

People may complains that talent may be too diluted and to expand 40 more full-time positions would hurt hockey, but I feel that perhaps in 2 - 3 years, it may be time for hockey to expand some more.

We can definitely have four more NHL calibre goalies. There are already more than 60 quality goalies in the NHL today. There are definitely also 10 - 20 NHL calibre forwards playing in Europe... Defense may be the only position that may see a lack of quality NHL'ers, but with there are guys like Jonsson in Europe and if the game continues to evolve offensively, skilled European puck-rushers can definitely be imported at a higher pace. Overall, I can definitely see a healthy 32 team NHL in 2010.

This is contingent upon, of course, a similar CBA renewed in 2008 or 2009.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Creamy Freshness said:
More like the Quebec Panthers or Hurricanes, I'd say. The Quebec Thrashers kind of has a nice ring to it, too.

:shakehead

Oklahoma City Oilers

Kansas City Penguins

Houston Flames

Sorry, but the southern US has a much better infastructure for supporting pro teams than Quebec City, or any other non-pro sports Canadian city for that matter.

Also, They have money and investors.

Best of luck to QC, but I think they are in the running with American investors, and that is a fast race when you consider who's involved. Where were they in 1995 when they could've locked the Nords into QC with a cup win?

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
If you want to compare attendance figures they are here.

The most interesting number I found is the worst draw on the road is ... the defending Stanley Cup champs... go figure.

baston

Nov 25, 2005
Quebec City
The Quebec Penguins :eek: :eek: :eek:
Crosby back in the Q.

The Quebec Hurricanes, the Quebec Trashers, whatever, just bring a team in here or I'll have to start cheering for the Habs pretty soon :shakehead

I was in Raleigh when they were playing the Wings for the cup a couple of years ago. Even though you could feel the love for hockey, I can swear hockey was more the talk of the town in mid-july in Quebec City than in Raleigh in the middle of a Stanley Cup final. I really can't stand watching a Canes' game on tv and seeing all those empty seats ... People would kill for one of those in here. A Mike Ricci haircut would get more news coverage in Quebec back in 1993 than a Stanley Cup would in Carolina. Quebec City has about 600 000 citizens ... Correct me if I'm wrong but I think there are about 300 000 in Raleigh ...

Yeah I know, it's all about the business community ...

Same thing in Florida ... I go crazy every time in go to Miami .... Hockey gets half of the last page of the newspaper even though there are 2 teams in the state ... And there's nothing wrong about it, when is the last time Florida had a snow storm?

Eh, Marcel Aubut makes a sill comment on RDS and we all crazy about it. We're needing a fix here.

baston

Nov 25, 2005
Quebec City
Chili said:
If you want to compare attendance figures they are here.

The most interesting number I found is the worst draw on the road is ... the defending Stanley Cup champs... go figure.

hehe Quebec had an average of 15,080 in 89-90 while having a very impressive 13 victory in the whole season :biglaugh:

It would have been higher if we could pack more people in that damn Colisée.

QcS

Sep 13, 2003
au Québec!
Visit site
baston said:
The Quebec Penguins :eek: :eek: :eek:
Crosby back in the Q.

The Quebec Hurricanes, the Quebec Trashers, whatever, just bring a team in here or I'll have to start cheering for the Habs pretty soon :shakehead

I was in Raleigh when they were playing the Wings for the cup a couple of years ago. Even though you could feel the love for hockey, I can swear hockey was more the talk of the town in mid-july in Quebec City than in Raleigh in the middle of a Stanley Cup final. I really can't stand watching a Canes' game on tv and seeing all those empty seats ... People would kill for one of those in here. A Mike Ricci haircut would get more news coverage in Quebec back in 1993 than a Stanley Cup would in Carolina. Quebec City has about 600 000 citizens ... Correct me if I'm wrong but I think there are about 300 000 in Raleigh ...

Yeah I know, it's all about the business community ...

Same thing in Florida ... I go crazy every time in go to Miami .... Hockey gets half of the last page of the newspaper even though there are 2 teams in the state ... And there's nothing wrong about it, when is the last time Florida had a snow storm?

Eh, Marcel Aubut makes a sill comment on RDS and we all crazy about it. We're needing a fix here.

:clap:

and that's what it's about.

I heard that some businessmen were also looking to bring a CFL team in Québec City.. it would be a natural rivalry with the Alouettes, and Football is the fastest growing sport right now in Québec (after soccer). A sports complex with an Arena and football stadium would be great, as businessmen for both could ally for the construction and grandma would not be able to say no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->