Series Talk: Playoff Qualifier Series: Minnesota Wild vs Vancouver Canucks (VAN wins 3-1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
So this will most likely be our matchup, if they can sort out some issues and hockey can start. Best of 5 series, and the winner goes to the real playoffs with 16 teams and normal best of 7 series.

What are our chances against this team? We have two wins and a loss against them this season. We have Dubnyk...ugh...and no Kaprizov. But we also have Fiala!

All games will be played in 2-3 places, the X could be one of them. Wonder if the Wild will play there, no fans anyway so it still becomes kind of neutral.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
Minnesota just cancelled the State Fair and that shit is in August. They're talking about the Twin Cities being a site for these games? Doubt it.

What's going to happen is the NHL is going to run into a roadblock with local, state, and federal governments that will ultimately force them to cancel their plans of a return to play. The only thing that's happened so far is that the NHLPA has voted to move forward with PLANS for 24-team playoffs. The NHLPA would still need to sign off on the final plan, locations, etc. and that can't happen until local, state, and federal governments sign off on things too.

Canada and the US just extended their non-essential border ban.

This stinks of the owners doing whatever they can to hold onto STH money for as long as possible until they've no option but to return it.

Reactions: a79krgm

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Minnesota just cancelled the State Fair and that shit is in August. They're talking about the Twin Cities being a site for these games? Doubt it.

What's going to happen is the NHL is going to run into a roadblock with local, state, and federal governments that will ultimately force them to cancel their plans of a return to play. The only thing that's happened so far is that the NHLPA has voted to move forward with PLANS for 24-team playoffs. The NHLPA would still need to sign off on the final plan, locations, etc. and that can't happen until local, state, and federal governments sign off on things too.

Canada and the US just extended their non-essential border ban.

This stinks of the owners doing whatever they can to hold onto STH money for as long as possible until they've no option but to return it.

The state fair and the NHL are two completely different situations. The NHL will not run into the same obstacles as the state fair.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Might see a Canucks line up such as this:

Jt. Miller Pettersson Toffoli
Pearson Horvat Boeser
Ferland Gaudette Virtanen
Roussel Sutter Macewen

Miller and Pettersson are ppg players, the offense runs through them however Boeser/Horvat also produce pretty well from the second line.
Gaudette is similar to Eriksson Ek, (same age, same position, same production).
Leivo is still injured. Ferland is supposedly 100% healthy now but if he isn't then Roussel steps up to the 3LW position.

Markstom was in the Vezina discussion but got hurt and had a small surgery. The time off here probably did him the most good. He should be ready to go.

I hope the series is at least a best of 5

Reactions: flying v 604

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
When I was first looking at the standings I thought we'd get Calgary, and thought the Wild would have a decent chance there. Not quite as optimistic about a series against Vancouver, I think they're deeper.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
The Wild were playing some really good hockey when the season stopped, and had a lot of momentum. I'm not sure what that series will look like after this much time off. The players won't be in the same shape or be playing at the same level. It's likely they'll be in better than normal shape due to time off to train and heal up, but also probably have a lot of rust in their games. I think, if this 24 team plan happens, we're going to see some really wacky results in a couple of series.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Markstrom is the difference. He is one of the best goalies in the league, and a great goalie can stop just about any team, let alone an underdog. Our Defence is better, their forwards are slightly better, if Fiala continues where he left off. The older guys should benefit from the lay off. The big question is whether we stick with Doobs, or decide to throw Kahkonen into the fire, a la Steve Penney.

If Dumba figures out how to shoot again, it'd be huge for our PP, and one more weapon for the team.

Anyway, VAN doesn't scare me, besides Markstrom. For some reason, I think we mess up more against CAL.

How do we move up in the draft by losing? Cause I would be completely down with losing and moving up to 9oa. Would ensure a Lundell or Perfetti, probably.

P10p

May 15, 2012
Fiala practicing this whole time is a massive advantage for the wild

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Markstrom is the difference. He is one of the best goalies in the league, and a great goalie can stop just about any team, let alone an underdog. Our Defence is better, their forwards are slightly better, if Fiala continues where he left off. The older guys should benefit from the lay off. The big question is whether we stick with Doobs, or decide to throw Kahkonen into the fire, a la Steve Penney.

If Dumba figures out how to shoot again, it'd be huge for our PP, and one more weapon for the team.

Anyway, VAN doesn't scare me, besides Markstrom. For some reason, I think we mess up more against CAL.

How do we move up in the draft by losing? Cause I would be completely down with losing and moving up to 9oa. Would ensure a Lundell or Perfetti, probably.
Markstrom is certainly better than anything the Wild have, but he isn't close to being one of the best goalies on the league.

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
Winning could be huge, getting to play with momentum against a bye team (Avs?) that would still be completely rusty.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN

Dubnyk already lost his net to Stalock, and didn't do anything to win it back. I'd be very surprised if we didn't bring Stalock in as the starter to begin the series. Outside chance of Kahkonen getting games, but I think they'll have him watch from the stands. He was good in NHL action and great in the AHL, but this is the playoffs, and it's a faster game than he's ever played. I'm not sure they'll play him in that situation, unless they're forced to. Definitely agree with you on Markstrom being better than anything we're bringing in goal. He isn't IMO the best starter or anything, but he's a very solid one.

As far as I'm aware, the draft will have happened by the time the NHL begins playing again, right? Therefore it'd be impossible to move up or down, regardless of play. I don't know, personally, but it seems to me that based on all the plans proposed so far, it isn't possible to move up or down in the draft order based on the playoff play this year, only through winning the draft lottery, and even then only 4 places forward (or one place back, if somebody behind the Wild wins it... again).

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I thought they were delaying the draft till after the playoffs?

Brodin and JEE are practicing, too.:) Although i think both of those guys are always in shape.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017

They're talking about 12 teams in two places, so they're gonna need a lot of hotel rooms there. Has to be a couple of big cities, and not too much travelling. So Twin Cities, Chicago, Detroit, Pittsburgh and St. Louis are close and possible locations.

When it comes to the Canucks, if the games will be played in this area, they will definitely be on the road. This should be a plus for the Wild.

P10p

May 15, 2012
Read somewhere that all teams will be road teams. I highly doubt they would give any team the advantage of playing in their own rink.

a79krgm

Jul 15, 2006
White Bear Lake
www.northstarshockey.com
They're talking about 12 teams in two places, so they're gonna need a lot of hotel rooms there. Has to be a couple of big cities, and not too much travelling. So Twin Cities, Chicago, Detroit, Pittsburgh and St. Louis are close and possible locations.
When it comes to the Canucks, if the games will be played in this area, they will definitely be on the road. This should be a plus for the Wild.

If this ever gets off the ground, it would be far more likely that Vancouver be a host than the Twin Cities. According to Brian Burke, Vancouver has many more motels in immediate vicinity to the arena than does St. Paul.

In fact, the average Canadian fan will be far more into hockey than US fans will be in August. Trying to get US sports fans interested in hockey in August is like pulling teeth. Does anyone remember those Canada Cups? aka World Cup of Hockey. US media didn't give a rats *ss about those.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Read somewhere that all teams will be road teams. I highly doubt they would give any team the advantage of playing in their own rink.
This is correct, no team gets to play on their home rink.

If this ever gets off the ground, it would be far more likely that Vancouver be a host than the Twin Cities. According to Brian Burke, Vancouver has many more motels in immediate vicinity to the arena than does St. Paul.

In fact, the average Canadian fan will be far more into hockey than US fans will be in August. Trying to get US sports fans interested in hockey in August is like pulling teeth. Does anyone remember those Canada Cups? aka World Cup of Hockey. US media didn't give a rats *ss about those.
Fans have nothing to do with the decision since there will be no fans in attendance.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Understood … I'm referring to the television audience, media attention and general interest.
TV can be broadcast to anywhere. Again, not sure why the location should impact anything TV-wise.

It's not like only the location where the games are played will get the broadcast.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I thought they were delaying the draft till after the playoffs?

Brodin and JEE are practicing, too.:) Although i think both of those guys are always in shape.

Oh, maybe they are! That would be a smart move. I haven't been keeping up on all this too much, so I'm not totally sure myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad