NFL: Possible Player Movement Discussion

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Strong draft for WR talent. Vikings could free up cap space via a trade and still have Thielen team with a rookie WR.

would then give them some cap room to retain a guy or two on their DL.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Strong draft for WR talent. Vikings could free up cap space via a trade and still have Thielen team with a rookie WR.

would then give them some cap room to retain a guy or two on their DL.

I think you likely make the team worse in the short term if you're trading Diggs so it'd really have to be worth it. The Vikings don't have to do anything if they don't want to because he's under contract for a few more years and they've already shown they can deal with his occasional outbursts.

The other issue is that there's $9M in dead money for next year if they trade Diggs. So while they're trading his $14.5M cap hit, they're really only saving $5.5M in cap space for 2020. Every dollar counts but $5.5M in savings isn't much if they want to improve the team. So again, they better be getting some high picks or immediate OL help for it to make any sense.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
The Vikings are gonna trade Diggs and use that pick on a replacement who will go along the lines of Williamson/Patterson/Treadwell aren't then?

Speculation is running wild because of his cryptic tweets (which he also does, that doesn't mean they're all necessary about football), him removing all mentions of the Vikings from social media and the tantrum he threw early in the season. He apparently doesn't like that it's a run first offense.

They are in cap hell, but there's no reason to trade him. It just opens up another need. Because they'll have an about to turn 30 Thielen with the likes of Olabisi Johnson and Alexander Hollins to go along with him. Yuck.

They can easily free up about 20 million in cap space by declining Griffen's option and cutting Rhodes and Reiff (or cutting one and restructuring one).

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
As part of the talk about Stefanski coming to the Browns, one Vikings beat reporter heaped praise on Stefanski for how he was able to make Diggs a happy camper last off season despite rumblings he wanted out. Guess this has been brewing for some time.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Griffen's great and a big part of the team and locker room but I don't know how you bring back a 32 year old pass rusher when you have cap issues. It'd likely have to be a real team friendly deal for him to return.

The Seahawks are interesting because they were reportedly interested last year before he restructured his deal to stay with the Vikings. He'd be a cheaper alternative to Clowney if they can't re-sign him.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon

Griffen's great and a big part of the team and locker room but I don't know how you bring back a 32 year old pass rusher when you have cap issues. It'd likely have to be a real team friendly deal for him to return.

The Seahawks are interesting because they were reportedly interested last year before he restructured his deal to stay with the Vikings. He'd be a cheaper alternative to Clowney if they can't re-sign him.

He'd be following the John Randle, Kevin Williams and Antoine Winfield path of great Vikings defender ending his career in Seattle.

Reactions: Avs_19

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
He'd be following the John Randle, Kevin Williams and Antoine Winfield path of great Vikings defender ending his career in Seattle.

And like them, no issue with it on my end. Fine players even if the stay was short, especially Randle.
I do wonder if Griffen merely intends to reset his contract and stay in Minn ultimately?

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

They love Vikings receivers too. Burleson, Rice, and Harvin got their big contracts there. I don't think there are any legit reports and it's more so just online speculation but there has been Diggs to Seattle talk since last season well.

And like them, no issue with it on my end. Fine players even if the stay was short, especially Randle. I do wonder if Griffen merely intends to reset his contract and stay in Minn ultimately?

I think his first choice would be to stay but it's going to be tough with the cap. He can likely get more money elsewhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->