OT: Possible NBA Team In Edmonton

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
It would flop... heck the Orlando Magic where I am... can't even fill half their games up and bleed cash even after revenue sharing. Lots of basketball fans here too.

The NBA team in Edmonton would have to be an instant success like the Vegas Golden Knights for it to survive.

Reactions: SomeDudeOTI

SomeDudeOTI

Feb 25, 2014
Behind enemy lines
It would flop... heck the Orlando Magic where I am... can't even fill half their games up and bleed cash even after revenue sharing. Lots of basketball fans here too.

The NBA team in Edmonton would have to be an instant success like the Vegas Golden Knights for it to survive.

And would fold the instant the magic run ended

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I don't think we have the population for an NBA city, and plus I don't think many players in the league woulf want to move here...

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Anything running the same time as hockey season is doomed to fail in Edmonton. People here don't even support the Eskimos and they practically give tickets away.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Anything running the same time as hockey season is doomed to fail in Edmonton. People here don't even support the Eskimos and they practically give tickets away.

I'm not so sure the Oilers will continue to sellout and be the most popular team. Especially if the losing continues. A contending NBA Team could bring everyone in the city together.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
NBA probably has 20 other cities they'd rather go to including Montreal, Vancouver, and even Calgary in Canada alone.

Why would Calgary be favourable? Terrible arena not up to NBA standards? Higher unemployment rate than Edmonton? Canada ain't getting another NBA team.

The Grizzlies failed in Vancouver for a reason. Nobody cared. As a student it was great, I got to go to a bunch of games really cheap. Because nobody cared and the team had to basically give away tickets to fill the seats.

Reactions: Dan Kelly

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
If it failed in Vancouver, it would definitely fail in Edmonton. It's bad enough how many hockey players wont come, imagine basketball?

cpsman

Aug 18, 2010
I think expansion teams can survive in bigger cities just because of sheer population, but also due to way more businesses that would be willing to buy corporate season tickets. It's a way for people to take out clients, or reward their employees with something. In a place like Edmonton, the general population isn't big enough, and there probably aren't enough businesses willing to fork out money for season tickets compared to NHL (especially because they would probably play at Rogers Place where tickets would be super expensive anyway). I think a lot of people would support the team in spirit. A lot of people in Edmonton follow and like basketball. I just don't think its a viable business option. Why would an owner pick Edmonton over trying Vancouver again? Or Montreal? Both cities where there is more population and more head offices of major corporations.

Better yet, why would they not pick another American city where they would probably make even more money?

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I'm not so sure the Oilers will continue to sellout and be the most popular team. Especially if the losing continues. A contending NBA Team could bring everyone in the city together.

We sold out almost every game during the decade of darkness. The building might have been half empty near the end of the season but the tickets were still sold.

cpsman

Aug 18, 2010
We sold out almost every game during the decade of darkness. The building might have been half empty near the end of the season but the tickets were still sold.
But given all the people that buy Oilers tickets, do you think that there are enough people left over that would by NBA tickets? Or enough people that could afford season tickets for both?

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
BWAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAA...OMG your naivete on Oilers fans is very, very cute. Thank you for providing me an excuse to post in a long time. Stick with Philly stuff. They will continue to be among the top in the league for revenue for a long, long time...rain or shine, win or lose. This city likes to bleed Oiler colours, and the dedication is real.

Seriously...most Edmontonians don't give two craps about the NBA - why would we?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
How Popular and hip would an NBA team be in Edmonton? Assuming they had good players and a decent team.

Edmonton getting a team over Vancouver and or Montreal
As someone who lived in Vancouver when they had a team... Many players hated the city because they thought it was the boonies. Could you imagine Ron Francis Jr or someone going on US TV and bashing Edmonton? And how Edmonton would react?

Part of the problem in Vancouver not many players wanted to be there

Seattle should get a team shortly

JetsOilersfan

Feb 4, 2012
Why would Calgary be favourable? Terrible arena not up to NBA standards? Higher unemployment rate than Edmonton? Canada ain't getting another NBA team.

The Grizzlies failed in Vancouver for a reason. Nobody cared. As a student it was great, I got to go to a bunch of games really cheap. Because nobody cared and the team had to basically give away tickets to fill the seats.

Went to one Grizzly game way back - Utah was in town. I was excited to see Malone/Stockton combo. Got the tickets for free. Season was almost over, Utah had already clinched first and Vcr as usual had clinched best lottery odds. Worst sporting event I'd ever been to in my life. I've seen more action at Junior high BB games. There was one dunk - ONE and it was almost an excuse me dunk. Both teams just jogged up the floor, passed the ball around the perimeter and took a shot just as the shot clock was expiring. Early in the third quarter Utah went on a bit of a run, scoring 7 straight points ( and it was during that little run they made a dunk). Final score was 78 to 72 or something like that. I'll never go to another game. Total waste of a night.

NBA game would never transcend here. I find the games boring until the end anyway, and then the last two minutes takes an hour to play which sucks the life out of that too. Though I'm only one small voice, I know very few people that would even entertain going to a game.

Reactions: Summary

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I went to an exhibition game here about 26 or 27 years ago.

It was the Lakers playing at Rexall with the U of A court.

Only thing I really remembered is some dude snuck onto the court in a suit like those blue guys at the Canucks game. Magic passed him the ball and the guy took a shot. So very odd. It was a fun night, but I don't think I would have the inclination or budget to go to more than a handful of games a year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->