Value of: Possible McDavid Wingers

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I think you're rattled but aren't really accepting that this is normal for EDM.
Face it, you've had plenty of 1OA in the last decade and it's normal for you.

Let it happen again, what's the harm?

Also, talking about another team, when we're talking about EDM seems a lot like deflecting.... If you don't like drafting 1OA, trade the numerous picks you've had over the years.
Atleast another thing we know is normal, and thats the leafs not winning the cup.

It's normal so expect it to keep happening, what's the harm.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Generally speaking none of those guys are going to be available for the pieces that we’re willing to give up. Best thing to do right now is stay the course, watch the waiver wire, and jump on a Maroon type trade if one is made available. Most of those guys are shooting for the moon.

We’re 3-3-1 and we’ve had a murderer’s row of opponents. It’s not panic time.

This is so true . A 20,000 KM road trip . Some of the strongest teams in the NHL and we are 500 . I said it to start the year if Edmonton was close to 500 after 10 games they will make the playoffs . If Draisaitl gets going we will be ok even over the next few games . The only trade I see that Edmonton should make is

Draisaitl + Lucic

For

2 Wingers or 1 winger and a top 4 PPQB RHD . I just don't trust Chia to make such a deal as it would require a real good winger for RNH on the 2nd line .

Also some of my reasoning is because of Draisaitl slow start so it more of a knee jerk reaction base on emotion and those never turn out well .

Reactions: ChaoticOrange

Pavlikovsky

May 31, 2013
Gatineau, QC
Oilers would be better off going after someone like Dzingle from the Sens probably cheaper than 4 of the players listed in the op he had 41 pts last year and could put up even better numbers with McDavid, but really Oilers should have s jumped on Hoffman or Skinner during the off-season both are 30 goal scorers and both were traded for pennies.

Reactions: JackFr and 780il

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Lol @ EDM for properly developing High draft Picks - EDM needs more chances at developing those picks. Only way is to a) change the staff so you can do so or b) get more picks and hope for the best.

Based on your past history of acquiring high draft picks and 1st OA's, I'd say you should try tanking for more picks and hoping your staff can develop a few.

Chia has done a few things right . 1 making minor trades and 2 over hauling the scouting staff . It been looking much better in the later rounds . Got some promising looking prospect how ever they were drafted in late rounds so they are a few years away . Plus even with the promise they have shown after they been drafted a lot will not make it but even if 3 or 4 make it that is worlds better then it was on Lowe's watch

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Those teams aren't moving those guys..

Plus, Mcdavid has his wingers - Nuge and Rattie/Yamo. Drai is the one that needs better wingers.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
... I’m really hoping you’re not implying the two hold in any way similar value - and I love the way Meier plays.

Obviously I’m not. I’m saying that for San Jose to do something as stupid as trading Meier to Edmonton for him to play with McDavid, Edmonton would have to do something as stupid as trading Draisaitl for Meier.

In other words, Meier isn’t happening.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Obviously I’m not. I’m saying that for San Jose to do something as stupid as trading Meier to Edmonton for him to play with McDavid, Edmonton would have to do something as stupid as trading Draisaitl for Meier.

In other words, Meier isn’t happening.

I wouldn’t worry too much about creating a team to challenge you in division - the only team we’re a threat to us ourselves.

I love Meier but I would need to suffer many many debilitating brain injuries to think that Draisaitl is a reasonable piece to give up for him.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Generally speaking none of those guys are going to be available for the pieces that we’re willing to give up. Best thing to do right now is stay the course, watch the waiver wire, and jump on a Maroon type trade if one is made available. Most of those guys are shooting for the moon.

We’re 3-3-1 and we’ve had a murderer’s row of opponents. It’s not panic time.

Furthermore it's these type of knee jerk reactions that get you in trouble with trades. Not going to get into Edmonton's recent trades but there's nothing wrong with a wait and see approach to some of the Oilers prospects and young players.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think it's Draisaitl that needs a good winger or two, not McDavid. The problem in Edmonton is that there's a huge drop-off after McDavid's line, no matter who is on it. A real play-driver who is terrific at zone exits and entries to play with Draisaitl would be the first priority for a winger, I would think.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Nic Petan.

But they better find a way to get Puljujarvi comfortable.
I was hoping we would've traded for him at last year's deadline. I don't think he'd be McDavid's winger considering RNH is already there, but he'd definitely be a good low cost option to see if he'd fit well next to Draisaitl. He could re-unite with #97 on that top PP unit if he showed the swagger.

That being said, why are we looking for 'McDavid's winger'? Draisaitl's the guy who needs wingers.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
I think it's Draisaitl that needs a good winger or two, not McDavid. The problem in Edmonton is that there's a huge drop-off after McDavid's line, no matter who is on it. A real play-driver who is terrific at zone exits and entries to play with Draisaitl would be the first priority for a winger, I would think.

Sounds like you’re describing Perreault.

Reactions: JackFr

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Sounds like you’re describing Perreault.
Sounds too expensive.

I really don't feel like throwing this in a new thread, but would Winnipeg consider a Kulikov/Petan for Kassian/Benning swap? It literally does nothing for them other than add a fourth line banger and a 7th D who probably gets waived. But with my primitive understanding of the NHL salary cap, what it does is splits Kulikov's cap commitment, thus making it more manageable next season, when the salary is more of an issue for the Jets.

I'm not entirely certain, but Kulikov is more or less on the outside looking in on the Jets' roster this season and his injury issues only compound that problem for him.

Any interest there?

Janne Niinimaa

"Character"
Sep 28, 2017
Montreal
Not that I think Bergevin would trade either right now, but for the sake of conversation what would Edmonton be willing to trade for Gallagher and/or Tatar? Montreal can retain if needed.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
If McDavid is this good with average wingers, using valuable assets to get him a better winger at 5v5 is probably asking for diminishing returns. If you get a legit high-end winger, put him on the 2nd line with Draisaitl. For the past 10 years or so, Crosby hasn't played with the best winger on the Pens. They generally had them with Malkin like Neal, or driving a 3rd line like Kessel has (who has also seen time with Malkin). In a cap world, the best use of McDavid is to give him two average wingers making middle of the pack money or below and have him turn that into a legit 1st line, and use the saving's to create a 1b line.

Reactions: belair and 780il

SergeiKrivokrasov

Oct 25, 2018
What players would the following teams want from Edmonton in exchange for the players listed below?

Flyers-Konecny
NJD- Wood
Blackhawks-DeBrincat
Leafs-Kapanen
Sharks- Meier
I can only think of one asset the Oil have to interest the Blackhawks in trading DeBrincat, and the Oil arent trading McDavid

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad