Value of: Possible McDavid Wingers

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
I’d imagine any offer to get something like what you’d want would have to start with multiple 1sts to make them willing

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Hmmm... assuming he'd be willing to come here (M-NTC) I would like to move some money to have a chance of signing him for a few more years. Could you take on Lucic's contract along with Puljujarvi and a 2019 2nd?

Gonna have to be a big, fat no on that one. Lucic's contract is quite bad without any retention factored in. I know from EDM's standpoint it has to go to make room for Simmonds likely, but it's just not practical to acquire Lucic at his current price given his output.

I'm curious if you can find another cool solution to this since I think EDM and Philly could be potentially good trading partners.

Reactions: pmwlker

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Gonna have to be a big, fat no on that one. Lucic's contract is quite bad without any retention factored in. I know from EDM's standpoint it has to go to make room for Simmonds likely, but it's just not practical to acquire Lucic at his current price given his output.

I'm curious if you can find another cool solution to this since I think EDM and Philly could be potentially good trading partners.

Fair enough. Any idea how much Simmonds is looking for in his next contract? It will give me a number I can try and hit for cap space.

pmwlker

Apr 13, 2018
Fair enough. Any idea how much Simmonds is looking for in his next contract? It will give me a number I can try and hit for cap space.

Probably 6/6.5 per year. Term is our issue as it comes to resigning him. 2/3 years sure....any longer I’d pass. Issue is he’s gonna want those extra years.

pmwlker

Apr 13, 2018

Agree. I wouldn’t touch the Lucic contract either. I like Poolparty for Simmonds as a base and I’ve seen a lot of Flyers fans that agree. Don’t have an issue taking some money back but nothing beyond 1/2 years.

Simmonds for

Poolparty, 2019 second and a 1/2 year cap dump. Issue becomes the dump.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Probably 6/6.5 per year. Term is our issue as it comes to resigning him. 2/3 years sure....any longer I’d pass. Issue is he’s gonna want those extra years.
This partnered with his age is the reason I want nothing to do with Simmonds. Especially as a return for Pulju. Hard pass.

MisterT

Nov 29, 2006
Do you mean that + will be Lucic? Because short of that there is no way to make this trade work.

Further, the Oilers need a RHD like Bouchard more than they need Nylander.

The plus definitely will not be Lucic but likely a 2nd or potentially a 1st in a later draft. If not, the Oilers can continue to waste McDavid and his prime years while treading water in a sea of mediocrity.

Reactions: spaghtti

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
What players would the following teams want from Edmonton in exchange for the players listed below?

Flyers-Konecny
NJD- Wood
Blackhawks-DeBrincat
Leafs-Kapanen
Sharks- Meier

Congrats you just listed a bunch of players that their current teams do not want to move. You really need a new hobby as your very bad at this.

Reactions: 780il

pmwlker

Apr 13, 2018
This partnered with his age is the reason I want nothing to do with Simmonds. Especially as a return for Pulju. Hard pass.

Makes perfect sense. If only he was 26/27 then I’d consider the term he wants. Really don’t see him on the roster next season myself.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
The plus definitely will not be Lucic but likely a 2nd or potentially a 1st in a later draft. If not, the Oilers can continue to waste McDavid and his prime years while treading water in a sea of mediocrity.

The math doesn't work and the Oilers aren't coughing up additional picks. Bouchard is worth more to Edmonton than Nylander would be.

We shall see about that last part. Most Toronto fans couldn't find Edmonton on a map let along correctly evaluate our roster.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
Wait... a couple weeks ago wasn't there a post about Ty Ratti being that guy? I honestly have not been following Edmonton at all but has Ty been bad?

Danny1237

Jun 12, 2016
The problem is the Oiler's have a lot of needs, and not a lot of assets. They never had an amazingly deep system to begin with, and Chiarelli burned through a lot of roster assets and cap space pretty quickly. I think patience is going to have to continue to be the key for the Oilers, which is absolutely a brutal though considering the length of this rebuild, but high end skill is not easy to add, and costs a lot. It's the reason it should be the focus of high draft picks while you have them, and why it should be held onto rather than used to get "safer" players.

You don't trade offensive stars for safer defensive minded players, and you don't make cap room for physicality and grit by moving out skill.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
No way you’re getting Meier. There is not a single piece that interests me from Edmonton for Meier other than Drai and McD.

member 147413

Leafs would have to add imo.
With most other management groups probably.

The Oilers tend to give up on youth early, plus they’re suppressing a young high talent player on the 4th line. I think it’s entirely reasonable Pulju is traded for a less than his worth type return.

Reactions: Dzonna

Dzonna

Mar 28, 2017
Not in my opinion. Why would the Leafs add?

I would think JP seems to have the higher potential, the size and skill. I’m am not the GM but if I was, I would likely keep Kapanen (unless the add was very small) just to see how good he can become.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->