Possible frame work for next draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clash*

Jan 18, 2003
Surprised this wasn't posted previously.

NHL teams hoping to hit the big Sid jackpot
Multiple sources say the league's board of governors has in place the framework of a system that will allow each of the NHL's 30 teams a chance at the first overall pick in the next draft and the opportunity to select Crosby, who will be at the Memorial Cup with his Rimouski Oceanic in London starting Saturday.

The proposed system would skew the lottery in favour of teams that have finished out of the playoffs in the past four seasons and not had the first overall selection in any of the past four entry drafts.

Nothing has been passed by the board of governors and isn't expected to be for some time, but it's believed the lottery will work like this:

Each team starts with four balls in the lottery.

Teams lose a ball for each year they qualified for the playoffs in the past four seasons.

Teams also lose a ball if they have had the first overall selection in any of the past four drafts.

Each team is guaranteed at least one ball.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
I guess thats a little different than this one...

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/EdmontonSun/Sports/2005/05/18/1044803-sun.html

If you've missed the playoffs three times in the last three years, you get three balls in the bingo machine. That's Columbus, Buffalo, Atlanta, Florida, Pittsburgh and the New York Rangers.

If you've missed the playoffs twice, you get two balls. That's Edmonton, Calgary, Carolina, Chicago, Nashville, Los Angeles, Phoenix, Washington, Minnesota and Anaheim.

Everybody else gets one ball.

Total: 52 balls. Your number rolls out first and ... BINGO! Crosby is yours.

Clash*

Jan 18, 2003
I'd much prefer the one from the Edmonton Sun, since it gives Florida a better chance since they wouldn't lose a ball. They lose half of their's in the Toronto paper's scenario. But I find it strange that someone would attack Douggie MacLean for wantin 10 balls. But I'm sure its someone from a "Have" team , and a rival with a bad chance of winning, as opposed to someone who has been a celler dweller the past few years.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Yeah, but could you imagine how bad it would suck if any of the "big spending" teams won it? You know the teams that caused the season to be cancelled. I might have to quit watching the NHL if that did in fact happen

freakazoid

May 9, 2005
Canada
What would Colorado do if they got him with Forsberg and Sakic already there. Can you imagine the 3 battling for ice time in the second half of the season. (I don't think it will take more for SC to adjust to the NHL).

Liquidrage*

Legionnaire said:
Yeah, but could you imagine how bad it would suck if any of the "big spending" teams won it? You know the teams that caused the season to be cancelled. I might have to quit watching the NHL if that did in fact happen

What are you talking about?

The big spending teams didn't cause it. A system with free agency and teams of various financial levels have caused this.

The Flyers make money. They can afford to spend what they have. If you are acting like the Flyers (and teams like them) shouldn't spend the money they have you are nuts.

And teams like the Flyers wouldn't have caused the lockout. They weren't hurting in the current NHL. It was the small market teams (and the few larger market teams with cheap owners) that forced the situation to occur. The big markets were fine, the little markets needed help. I

Its the system that is out of whack. Free agency needs a cap. Otherwise, you have teams that can't compete for free agents like the NHL has had for years now. But it is not the fault of the teams that had the money for spending the money. That is what they should have done. In fact, you could argue that if they didn't, it probably would have been collusion. But regardless, the economics of sports dicates that you need a cap with free agency. And no one market or team is at fault that free agency without a cap has gotten out of hand. It's a failure of the league for not realizing this would eventually be the outcome of their system and over-expansion.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
freakazoid said:
What would Colorado do if they got him with Forsberg and Sakic already there. Can you imagine the 3 battling for ice time in the second half of the season. (I don't think it will take more for SC to adjust to the NHL).

You truly think Crosby would compete with Forsberg and Sakic for ice at age 18? Get a grip.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Liquidrage said:
What are you talking about?

The big spending teams didn't cause it. A system with free agency and teams of various financial levels have caused this.

The Flyers make money. They can afford to spend what they have. If you are acting like the Flyers (and teams like them) shouldn't spend the money they have you are nuts.

And teams like the Flyers wouldn't have caused the lockout. They weren't hurting in the current NHL. It was the small market teams (and the few larger market teams with cheap owners) that forced the situation to occur. The big markets were fine, the little markets needed help. I

Its the system that is out of whack. Free agency needs a cap. Otherwise, you have teams that can't compete for free agents like the NHL has had for years now. But it is not the fault of the teams that had the money for spending the money. That is what they should have done. In fact, you could argue that if they didn't, it probably would have been collusion. But regardless, the economics of sports dicates that you need a cap with free agency. And no one market or team is at fault that free agency without a cap has gotten out of hand. It's a failure of the league for not realizing this would eventually be the outcome of their system and over-expansion.

Thanks for the lecture, but I've already heard it many a time. What I gave was the condensed version. It was the large market teams that skewed the competive balance by offering outrageous money to players.

You're right the league needed a cap and the system was flawed, but it was those teams that were spending the money that were most resistant to putting that cap in place.

HSHS

Losing is a disease
Apr 5, 2005
Redondo Beach, Ca
The removal of a ball for having a previous first overall pick would not ever happen. It makes no sense. This lottery is not about the first overall pick. Its about ending up in the top 10-15. To penalize a team for having the first pick one year verses a team consistently at 2-5 doesn't have any logic to it.

That being said I can see if you do it for the first ball only. Then put those balls back in for picks 2-29.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
New Jersey 1
Toronto 1
Philly 1
Ottawa 1
Pittsburgh 2
New York Rangers 4
New York Islanders 1
Buffalo 2
Boston 1
Tampa Bay 2
Washington 1
Carolina 2
Florida - 3 (Won lottery but traded pick)
Montreal - 2
Atlanta - 3
Detroit 1
Colorado 1
St Louis 1
Vancouver 1
Dallas 1
SJ 1
LA - 2
Anahiem - 3
Edmonton - 1
Calgary - 3
Minny - 3
Chicago - 3
Colombus - 4
Phoenix - 3

55 balls in the lottery and you can figure the odds out yourself.

PhillyPhantoms

Think about the young depth at the center position the Flyers would have if they somehow won the lottery

Crosby, Carter, and Richards. :D :bow:

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Dallas Drake said:
Interesting that these two teams have the best odds. They couldn't seem any more different.
Both cities would be an excellent spot for a riseing star. New York media would gobble him up bringing so much hockey media to the tricity area which is only good for the game in the USA. Coplumbus took its bumps and bruises and the fans still show up, I would be ok with Crosby going there also.

mmbt

Cheeky Monkey
Feb 27, 2002
California
Visit site
Legionnaire said:

I think it'd be more annoying for a contending team to end up with Crosby, and obviously it's fans of teams who know they'd otherwise have no shot at the #1 overall pick who argue hardest for a shot at the #1 pick now.

Of course, what they should consider is that if there's about a half dozen major contenders, that even if Crosby does end up going to a contending team that the odds are 5 out of 6 that he's going to one of your immediate Cup rivals rather than your team. Ouch.

And you can bet fans of the other contending teams will spend the next 15 years saying how such-and-such team only got Crosby because of a screwed up draft system. We'll probably see a thread a week on it, and quite frankly I'd rather not have to put up with all the whining.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
FlyersGuy69 said:
oh man, that would be awsome!

everybody has a shot...I like it.

......... and this is fair . . . how? See why big market fans are called greedy over this issue no matter how they try to muddy the waters with claims of being 'gutted'? Yeah right. They already are loaded and Crosby is a cherry on a very well made sundae. Look to some of the lower tier teams and see the opposite.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Why should a lower team from one and a half years ago be rewarded at the present time or be guarenteed a great pick. Philly has just as much of a right to be able to get Crosby as any other team.

Onion Boy

Jan 29, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Jason MacIsaac said:
Both cities would be an excellent spot for a riseing star. New York media would gobble him up bringing so much hockey media to the tricity area which is only good for the game in the USA. Coplumbus took its bumps and bruises and the fans still show up, I would be ok with Crosby going there also.

Obviously as a Ranger fan, I'd prefer Crosby to go to NY, but if I had to choose another team, Columbus would far and away be my first choice. With Nash and Zherdev coming up and hockey really beginning to gain ground in Ohio with the Bluejackets, Buckeyes, and recent Frozen Four tournament, I really feel hockey is ready to explode in Columbus. The team has sucked more or less since its inception, but they are doing extremely well in attendance.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
ClashCitiRockr said:
Surprised this wasn't posted previously.

NHL teams hoping to hit the big Sid jackpot

I've seen worse systems, but quite frankly I still prefer equal chances for all 30 teams. It's a lot more consistent than this one, which for instance will favor teams like Tampa (missed the playoffs twice in that time period) over garbage teams I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole.

Sigh. I'm going to hope this is just a rumor.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
BTW, I ran down the chances for each team.

Teams with four balls and a 6.67% chance

Columbus Blue Jackets >> * * * *
NY Rangers >> * * * *

Teams with three balls and a 5% chance

Anaheim Mighty Ducks >> * * *
Atlanta Thrashers >> * * * (lost a ball because won lottery 2001)
Buffalo Sabres >> * * *
Calgary Flames >> * * *
Chicago Blackhawks >> * * *
Minnesota Wild >> * * *
Nashville Predators >> * * *
Phoenix Coyotes >> * * *
Pittsburgh Penguins >> * * *

Teams with two balls and a 3.33% chance

Carolina Hurricanes >> * *
Edmonton Oilers >> * *
Florida Panthers >> * * (lost two balls because won lottery 2002/2003)
Los Angeles Kings >> * *
Montreal Canadiens >> * *
Tampa Bay Lightning >> * *

Teams with one ball and a 1.67% chance

Boston Bruins >> *
Detroit Red Wings >> *
Colorado Avalanche >> *
Dallas Stars >> *
New Jersey Devils >> *
NY Islanders >> *
Ottawa Senators >> *
Philadelphia Flyers >> *
San Jose Sharks >> *
St. Louis Blues >> *
Toronto Maple Leafs >> *
Vancouver Canucks >> *
Washington Capitals >> * (lost a ball because won lottery 2004)

Unless noted (won the lottery), all I tried to do was remove a ball for each year they made the playoffs. Of course, I left a minimum one ball per team. If you spot mistakes, please let me know and I will edit! :)

Last edited:

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
The Caps get screwed the most in that scenario. Just like their fans predicted. Maybe there is a conspiracy.

Vlad - I'm guessing that the Panthers lose a ball for winning the lottery, and the Pens lose a ball for acquiring that pick?

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
tom_servo said:
The Caps get screwed the most in that scenario. Just like their fans predicted. Maybe there is a conspiracy.

Vlad - I'm guessing that the Panthers lose a ball for winning the lottery, and the Pens lose a ball for acquiring that pick?

Thanks Tom. I originally screwed up big on Islanders. I took into acount their lottery win in 2000 when 2000 has no business here, and forgot 2002 (when Panthers won).

I have corrected this, and took another ball off the Panthers.

I'm still not sure I have everything right. Best is for fans of those teams to confirm how many times they made the playoffs and all. Or something.

Last edited:

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Vlad The Impaler said:
Thanks Tom. I originally screwed up big on Islanders. I took into acount their lottery win in 2000 when 2000 has no business here, and forgot 2002 (when Panthers won).

I have corrected this, and took another ball off the Panthers.

I'm still not sure I have everything right. Best is for fans of those teams to confirm how many times they made the playoffs and all. Or something.
Where did I mess up then lol

Does anyone know how to use Microsoft Excell well enough to test out this formula and give a demo version of the draft?

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Actually, you may have been right. I was thinking that you took a ball off the Pens for landing the #1 pick in '03, but it's certainly because they were in the playoffs four years ago. I was only going back three years, not four.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
tom_servo said:
Actually, you may have been right. I was thinking that you took a ball off the Pens for landing the #1 pick in '03, but it's certainly because they were in the playoffs four years ago. I was only going back three years, not four.

Yeah, at first I thought we were speaking of the same mistake, then re-read you and was confused :D

Still doesn't change the fact there is probably still a mistake there :(

Sorry guys, I'm trying to find it. If anyone does, let me know!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->