Possible for Crosby to make the U20 WJC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reffree

Apr 24, 2003
ste-justine québec
Visit site
Tuomo Ruutu's Ego said:
A) Canada is a very deep country talent-wise, they have players who are as skilled or better, that are older and more mature.

B) Crosby is only 16 years old. Refer to point A).

Russia have a lot more deep than Canada last year and Zherdev and Ovechkin make it... it's pretty simple, take the best player in the country and Crosby is one of those, that's it !

Tuomo Ruutu's Ego

Hitman said:
They may be older, but you can't say they are better. Look at canada's team last year. Do you really think that Derek Roy is better than Eric Staal? Age does not equal skill.

Oh please. Derek Roy played for the most part as the 4th line, energy center. Eric Staal is not an energy center. The line of Roy, Paille and Tootoo was there for a reason, to get the crowd into the game and throw hard hits.

Tuomo Ruutu's Ego

SpezNc said:
I think that every fans rooting for Canada want to see him in the team.. If team canada fails, Team Canada will be critizised by all the fans if he did not made the team..

I expect to see him at the december camp..... and after, it's to Crosby to prove he deserve a spot.. and more than the extra attacker..

I think he will be the 3rd line center.... or the 4th...... and some time on the PP.... Like C.J did with Spezza when I was 16 yr old.....

:joker: Please don't generalize, I don't want to see this 16 year old flopping around out there in December. He has no place in this tournament, he wasn't even the top scorer at the U-18, why would team Canada be criticized for not taking Crosby if they lost? We all know that since he couldn't do dittle squad at the U-18, that he will impress at the U-20 if he is selected to go. Watch out, all the U-20 records are in jeopardy of being smashed with this kid around! :lol:

Stanger31

Apr 6, 2003
St. Albert
Tuomo Ruutu's Ego said:
Well well well, looks like I proved you wrong. Please think next time before you open your pie hole little boy. Typical to drop by with an obnoxious comment? Right...I'm sorry I can't spend multiple hours a day in front of a computer screen replying to all you people. I have a life outside of this message board, and if I read the comments and didn't reply it was because I had nothing to add. Sorry, but I don't post pad, if I have nothing to say, I have no need to post a message to it.

Would you like me to reply every time you reply to my posts saying "ok, I read it"? Would that give you a great deal of satasfaction?

If you can't handle my posts, don't read them. But don't bitch and whine like theres no tomorrow.

Someone is bitching and moaning but i'm not gonna imply who. And the only reason you responded was because he said you wouldn't.
And your reasoning for why he wouldn't make the team is irrelevant. He's got enough talent to be on the team, and he's dealt with more pressure and maturity than almost anyone that is gonna make the Canadian World Junior team. Try being compared to Gretzky and not feeling pressure, he's very mature if you ask me and would be the type of guy I want in the gold medal game against russia when we can't score a goal to get back into it.
Remember he didn't ask to be called the next Gretzky or coin himself the next Gretzky, he just goes with the flow and tries to do his best. Don't count him out for being young, or say he isn't mature because he is young. That is closed minded and ignorant.

Tuomo Ruutu's Ego

reffree said:
Russia have a lot more deep than Canada last year and Zherdev and Ovechkin make it... it's pretty simple, take the best player in the country and Crosby is one of those, that's it !

Good grief. Russia is deeper than Canada? Umm, no. Sorry, but who has the most NHL calibre players? Oh yeah, that's right, Canada does. We dominate the hockey world at every level, U-18, U-20, Women's, Men's, we do it all. We might lose the odd year or two, but we medal in every most every year in the U-20, olympics etc.

And Zherdev plus Ovechkin were both 17 year olds this year if I remember correctly. And Crosby will be a 16 year old. There is no comparison. Zherdev was 2003 eligible, Ovechkin was 2003 eligible + 2 days(so 2004 eligible, but really just as old as all the 2003 eligibles). Sidney Crosby is clearly a 2005 eligible player.

But how do you know that Crosby is one of the best players in the country? You must be a professional scout or something, because the average fan wouldn't be stupid enough to claim someone was good enough without seeing all the competition he is up against. I can say I am the best player in Canada, doesn't make it true. You can say Crosby is the best player in Canada, that's just ridiculous. Staal, Horton, Fleury, Coburn, etc. - Crosby is better than all these players? Please tell me you were joking...

Tuomo Ruutu's Ego

Stanger31 said:
Someone is bitching and moaning but i'm not gonna imply who. And the only reason you responded was because he said you wouldn't.

Well, you are entitled to your own opinion, I am entitled to mine. You think I would take time out of my day to show some internet yahoo that I don't just make obnoxious comments and leave? Good lord, you really must be joking. I have nothing to prove to anyone on these boards, I came and responded because I read threads I reply to.

reffree

Apr 24, 2003
ste-justine québec
Visit site
Tuomo Ruutu's Ego said:
Good grief. Russia is deeper than Canada? Umm, no. Sorry, but who has the most NHL calibre players? Oh yeah, that's right, Canada does. We dominate the hockey world at every level, U-18, U-20, Women's, Men's, we do it all. We might lose the odd year or two, but we medal in every most every year in the U-20, olympics etc.

And Zherdev plus Ovechkin were both 17 year olds this year if I remember correctly. And Crosby will be a 16 year old. There is no comparison. Zherdev was 2003 eligible, Ovechkin was 2003 eligible + 2 days(so 2004 eligible, but really just as old as all the 2003 eligibles). Sidney Crosby is clearly a 2005 eligible player.

But how do you know that Crosby is one of the best players in the country? You must be a professional scout or something, because the average fan wouldn't be stupid enough to claim someone was good enough without seeing all the competition he is up against. I can say I am the best player in Canada, doesn't make it true. You can say Crosby is the best player in Canada, that's just ridiculous. Staal, Horton, Fleury, Coburn, etc. - Crosby is better than all these players? Please tell me you were joking...

you probably forgot who win the last gold medal game between the two... and probably forgot than if we exchange Fleury and Medvedev in goal Canada look out of place... I have the game on tape if you want to have an other chance to see it...you look to miss something

and hmm don't think I said Crosby was the best player in Canada...I say he is one of the top 12 forward... and YEAHHHH Fleury is right now a lot better than Crosby great affirmation... but I simply don't know how it affect Crosby presence in the team :dunno:

BCCHL inactive

JasonMacIsaac said:
He is playing with leeches now and still getting 11 points in 5 games, no matter who you play him with he will score. Save this thread.

But he is doing this in the QMJHL. You are calling for him to do the same against the top junior players on the planet in a U20 world championship. Big difference.

Tuomo Ruutu's Ego said:
We might lose the odd year or two, but we medal in every most every year in the U-20, olympics etc.

We do medal most years, but keep in mind that the U20 used to be all Canada, and sometimes Russia/Soviet Union...and it was proven with the five straight U20 championships. Since then (1997), however, Canada has 3 silver and 2 bronze medals in the last 6 tournaments. We simply don't dominate the entry level scene like we used to.

JasonMacIsaac

Van I know he is doing it in the QMJHL, but look at his linemates, everything he touches turns to gold. Give the guy Horton, Pouliot, Stall.. or any other guy that makes team Canada and I think he will put on a scary show.

JasonMacIsaac

Not this year but the next will boast a really strong team canada.

BCCHL inactive

JasonMacIsaac said:
Van I know he is doing it in the QMJHL, but look at his linemates, everything he touches turns to gold. Give the guy Horton, Pouliot, Stall.. or any other guy that makes team Canada and I think he will put on a scary show.

You are only thinking about who he is playing with, and not who he is playing against.

While he would be playing with better players on the 4th line of Team Canada than he is in Rimouski, he will also be playing against the best players the world has to offer at the U20 level. The guys he will play against there are 10 times better than what he is facing now.

Slay

May 24, 2003
Krasnoyarsk
Van said:
We do medal most years, but keep in mind that the U20 used to be all Canada, and sometimes Russia/Soviet Union...

Hm sometimes?

Code:
<TABLE width=626 border=0 align="center" cellPadding=0 cellSpacing=1 
            bgColor=#a7a7a7 class=scorechartbkg>
  <TBODY>
    <TR vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ceccc4> 
      <TD width="46"> <DIV align=center><B>Year</B></DIV></TD>
      <TD width="205"> <DIV align=center><B>Site</B></DIV></TD>
      <TD width="123"> <DIV align=center><B>Gold</B></DIV></TD>
      <TD width="122"> <DIV align=center><B>Silver</B></DIV></TD>
      <TD width="124"> <DIV align=center><B>Bronze</B></DIV></TD>
    </TR>
    <TR vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#f7ede0> 
      <TD> <DIV align=center>2003</DIV></TD>
      <TD> <DIV align=center><B>Halifax, Canada</B></DIV></TD>
      <TD> <DIV align=center><strong><font color="#FF0000">Russia</font></strong></DIV></TD>
      <TD> <DIV align=center><B>Canada</B></DIV></TD>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>Finland</DIV></TD>
    </TR>
    <TR vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#fbf4ea> 
      <TD> <DIV align=center>2002</DIV></TD>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>Pardubice, Czech Rep.</DIV></TD>
      <TD> <DIV align=center><strong><font color="#FF0000">Russia</font></strong></DIV></TD>
    </TR>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>2001</DIV></TD>
      <TD> <DIV align=center><font color="#FF0000"><strong>Moscow, Russia</strong></font></DIV></TD>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>Czech Republic</DIV></TD>
    </TR>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>2000</DIV></TD>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>Skelleftea, Sweden</DIV></TD>
      <TD> <DIV align=center><font color="#FF0000"><strong>Russia</strong></font></DIV></TD>
    </TR>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>1999</DIV></TD>
      <TD> <DIV align=center><B>Winnipeg, Canada</B></DIV></TD>
      <TD> <DIV align=center><font color="#FF0000"><strong>Russia</strong></font></DIV></TD>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>Slovakia</DIV></TD>
    </TR>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>1998</DIV></TD>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>Helsinki, Finland</DIV></TD>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>Switzerland</DIV></TD>
    </TR>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>1997</DIV></TD>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>Geneva, Switzerland</DIV></TD>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>United States</DIV></TD>
    </TR>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>1996</DIV></TD>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>Boston, United States</DIV></TD>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>Sweden</DIV></TD>
    </TR>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>1995</DIV></TD>
      <TD> <DIV align=center><B>Red Deer, Canada</B></DIV></TD>
    </TR>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>1994</DIV></TD>
    </TR>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>1993</DIV></TD>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>Gävle, Sweden</DIV></TD>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>Czechoslovakia</DIV></TD>
    </TR>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>1992</DIV></TD>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>Germany</DIV></TD>
      <TD> <DIV align=center><font color="#FF0000"><strong>CIS</strong></font></DIV></TD>
    </TR>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>1991</DIV></TD>
      <TD> <DIV align=center><strong><font color="#FF0000">Soviet Union</font></strong></DIV></TD>
    </TR>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>1990</DIV></TD>
      <TD> <DIV align=center><strong><font color="#FF0000">Soviet Union</font></strong></DIV></TD>
    </TR>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>1989</DIV></TD>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>Anchorage, United States</DIV></TD>
      <TD> <DIV align=center><font color="#FF0000"><strong>Soviet Union</strong></font></DIV></TD>
    </TR>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>1988</DIV></TD>
      <TD> <DIV align=center><font color="#FF0000"><strong>Moscow, USSR</strong></font></DIV></TD>
      <TD> <DIV align=center><font color="#FF0000"><strong>Soviet Union</strong></font></DIV></TD>
    </TR>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>1987*</DIV></TD>
    </TR>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>1986</DIV></TD>
    </TR>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>1985</DIV></TD>
    </TR>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>1984</DIV></TD>
    </TR>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>1983</DIV></TD>
      <TD> <DIV align=center><strong><font color="#FF0000">Leningrad, USSR</font></strong></DIV></TD>
    </TR>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>1982</DIV></TD>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>Rochester, United States</DIV></TD>
    </TR>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>1981</DIV></TD>
    </TR>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>1980</DIV></TD>
    </TR>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>1979</DIV></TD>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>Karlstad, Sweden</DIV></TD>
    </TR>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>1978</DIV></TD>
      <TD> <DIV align=center><strong>Montreal, Canada</strong></DIV></TD>
    </TR>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>1977</DIV></TD>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>Banska, Bystrica</DIV></TD>
    </TR>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>1976</DIV></TD>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>Turku, Finland</DIV></TD>
    </TR>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>1975</DIV></TD>
      <TD> <DIV align=center><strong>Winnipeg, Canada</strong></DIV></TD>
    </TR>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>1974</DIV></TD>
      <TD> <DIV align=center><strong><font color="#FF0000">Leningrad, USSR</font></strong></DIV></TD>
    </TR>
  </TBODY>
</TABLE>

JasonMacIsaac

Maybe so but as opponents get better so do teamates, I know where you are going but I still think he is that dominant.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Slay said:
Hm sometimes?

Code:
<TABLE width=626 border=0 align="center" cellPadding=0 cellSpacing=1 
            bgColor=#a7a7a7 class=scorechartbkg>
  <TBODY>
    <TR vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ceccc4> 
      <TD width="46"> <DIV align=center><B>Year</B></DIV></TD>
      <TD width="205"> <DIV align=center><B>Site</B></DIV></TD>
      <TD width="123"> <DIV align=center><B>Gold</B></DIV></TD>
      <TD width="122"> <DIV align=center><B>Silver</B></DIV></TD>
      <TD width="124"> <DIV align=center><B>Bronze</B></DIV></TD>
    </TR>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>2003</DIV></TD>
      <TD> <DIV align=center><B>Halifax, Canada</B></DIV></TD>
    </TR>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>2002</DIV></TD>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>Pardubice, Czech Rep.</DIV></TD>
    </TR>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>2001</DIV></TD>
      <TD> <DIV align=center><font color="#FF0000"><strong>Moscow, Russia</strong></font></DIV></TD>
    </TR>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>2000</DIV></TD>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>Skelleftea, Sweden</DIV></TD>
    </TR>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>1999</DIV></TD>
      <TD> <DIV align=center><B>Winnipeg, Canada</B></DIV></TD>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>Slovakia</DIV></TD>
    </TR>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>1998</DIV></TD>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>Switzerland</DIV></TD>
    </TR>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>1997</DIV></TD>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>Geneva, Switzerland</DIV></TD>
    </TR>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>1996</DIV></TD>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>Boston, United States</DIV></TD>
    </TR>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>1995</DIV></TD>
      <TD> <DIV align=center><B>Red Deer, Canada</B></DIV></TD>
    </TR>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>1994</DIV></TD>
    </TR>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>1993</DIV></TD>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>Gävle, Sweden</DIV></TD>
    </TR>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>1992</DIV></TD>
      <TD> <DIV align=center><font color="#FF0000"><strong>CIS</strong></font></DIV></TD>
    </TR>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>1991</DIV></TD>
    </TR>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>1990</DIV></TD>
    </TR>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>1989</DIV></TD>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>Anchorage, United States</DIV></TD>
    </TR>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>1988</DIV></TD>
      <TD> <DIV align=center><font color="#FF0000"><strong>Moscow, USSR</strong></font></DIV></TD>
    </TR>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>1987*</DIV></TD>
    </TR>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>1986</DIV></TD>
    </TR>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>1985</DIV></TD>
    </TR>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>1984</DIV></TD>
    </TR>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>1983</DIV></TD>
    </TR>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>1982</DIV></TD>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>Rochester, United States</DIV></TD>
    </TR>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>1981</DIV></TD>
    </TR>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>1980</DIV></TD>
    </TR>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>1979</DIV></TD>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>Karlstad, Sweden</DIV></TD>
    </TR>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>1978</DIV></TD>
      <TD> <DIV align=center><strong>Montreal, Canada</strong></DIV></TD>
    </TR>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>1977</DIV></TD>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>Banska, Bystrica</DIV></TD>
    </TR>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>1976</DIV></TD>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>Turku, Finland</DIV></TD>
    </TR>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>1975</DIV></TD>
      <TD> <DIV align=center><strong>Winnipeg, Canada</strong></DIV></TD>
    </TR>
      <TD> <DIV align=center>1974</DIV></TD>
    </TR>
  </TBODY>
</TABLE>
Canada didn't put it's best junior players in until 1982. That's why the USSR has all the medals in the 70's and early 80's.

BCCHL inactive

JasonMacIsaac said:
Maybe so but as opponents get better so do teamates, I know where you are going but I still think he is that dominant.

He won't dominate from the 4th line. And that is where he will play if he makes this team. He won't get any more ice time than Spezza and Bouwmeester did.

JasonMacIsaac

Spezza never did good at the WJC anyway so that goes out the window. What does the 4th line get at the WJC most years. 10 min a game ?

Slay

May 24, 2003
Krasnoyarsk
canucksfan said:
Canada didn't put it's best junior players in until 1982. That's why the USSR has all the medals in the 70's and early 80's.

Good excuse but anyway it doesn't prove that Canada would win it. Now my excuse ;) I can say that Canada won 5 champs in a row in the middle 90s only because Russia had huge economical crisis.
Anyway in 1978 Gretzky played for Canada, I suppose he wasn't the best eh

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Slay said:
Good excuse but anyway it doesn't prove that Canada would win it. Now my excuse ;) I can say that Canada won 5 champs in a row in the middle 90s only because Russia had huge economical crisis.
Anyway in 1978 Gretzky played for Canada, I suppose he wasn't the best eh
Greztky was 16 at the time. Canada sent the team that won the Memorial Cup not the team with the best players on it. Russia still has a horrible economy and they are winning.

BCCHL inactive

JasonMacIsaac said:
Spezza never did good at the WJC anyway so that goes out the window. What does the 4th line get at the WJC most years. 10 min a game ?

More like 3-4 minutes a game...just like a 4th liner on any other team.

And how does Spezza as a 17 and 18 year-old not doing well throw his 4th line status as a 16 year-old out the window? Crosby is at the same point in his career right now that Spezza was as a 16 year-old....and Spezza had a full Major Junior season under his belt to boot while Crosby played US Prep School hockey as a 15 year-old.

Slay

May 24, 2003
Krasnoyarsk
canucksfan said:
Russia still has a horrible economy and they are winning.

Just want to let you know that you don't know much about Russia and present economic situation in Russia ;) it is not even comparable to 90s

BCCHL inactive

canucksfan said:
Greztky was 16 at the time. Canada sent the team that won the Memorial Cup not the team with the best players on it.

This has to be wrong.

First of all, Wayne Gretzky never played in a Memorial Cup Tournament, nevermind winning one.

Secondly, how do you think that would have worked...sending the Memorial Cup champions to a tournament at Christmas time, during the season?

Hitman*

Van said:
Secondly, how do you think that would have worked...sending the Memorial Cup champions to a tournament at Christmas time, during the season?

I think there might be a few complaints from the Imports when you said they were playing for Canada :p

Johnny

Mar 11, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Van said:
This has to be wrong.

First of all, Wayne Gretzky never played in a Memorial Cup Tournament, nevermind winning one.

His general point is correct with regards to Canada not sending it's best until 82, just lacks specifics. You are right that Gretzky never played in a Memorial cup tournament, let alone won one.

A brief Summary from 73-82, from the 2000-01 Canadian hockey magazine.

"1973-74 Representing Canada was the Peterborough Petes, showed well against national teams to earn a bronze medal but lost 9-0 to the Soviets.

1974-75 Representing Canada was the Western junior all-star team which included Trottier for the event in Minnesota and Manitoba. Canada took the silver medal, losing only to the Soviets 4-3.

1975-76 The Sherbooke Beavers finished second, again by way of loss to the Soviets.

1976-77 This was the first eight-nation, official world junior tournament and the bolstered Hamilton Fincups took the silver medal. Again only loss to the Soviets.

1977-78 the tournament was in Montreal, Hull and Quebec City. An all-star team represented Canada, including Gretzky, Vaive and Ramage. Canada finished third losing to the Soviets and Czechoslovakia.

1978-79 the New Westminer Bruins were fifth in Sweden, missing the medal round.

1979-80 The Petes missed the medal round, finishing fifth.

1980-81 The last Canadian club team in the world tournament, the Cornwall Royals finished seventh in Barvaria.

1981-82 Dave King coached the first true Canadain national junior team in Minnesota. The Canucks gave the Soviets their worst beating 7-0, then tied Czechoslovakia to clinch the country's first title."

Slay

May 24, 2003
Krasnoyarsk
canucksfan said:
I know that it isn't as bad as the early 90's but it is really bad right now.

The phrase " it is really bad right now" is really makes me think of how do I survive (lol) here in Siberia ;)Well the answers is easly! I am sure it is not harder than to survive in British Columbia lol ;) Simple as it is!
The economical situation in Russia one of the best among all East European countries.

PS: yeah yeah I know a bit off topic :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad