Speculation: Possible 2017 Off Season moves

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
The baseline for any rumored deal is two high level forwards.

The two that made the most sense for a variety of reasons are Larkin and Nyquist.

Seeing as those two guys would pretty much slot in as #3RW and #3C in Winnipeg (Larkin wouldn't jump Schiefele and Little and Nyquist certainly wouldn't surpass Laine and Wheeler), I don't think they're enough by themselves to land Trouba. Especially not in summer 2016 when Larkin hit the wall SUPER hard in the 2nd half of the NHL season.

Maybe my defense piece was too valuable, but you would think Winnipeg would want an NHL caliber replacement for Trouba. Smith felt like the right cap hit/production as the other options would be too expensive and crappy or too cheap and too unproven. Also, they came out and said DeKeyser wasn't part of it.

The 1st might have been a stretch... but a bonafide top 4 D with clear top pairing potential has a ludicrous premium in the NHL.

It's less a "other GMs are mean and treat Holland bad" and more "defensemen with top pairing potential are pretty much never moved. Want one in trade? Be prepared to blow the doors off of your trade partner in value."

Seriously, Trouba was a top 4D prior to this year and looks like a bona-fide top pairing guy now and his only wart was asking for a trade because "I want more playing time on the right side". Which he clearly showed that he deserved with his play.

What trade can you reference that gives that much for a 20-30 point d-man???? Cause no trade anytime in recent-long term history has seen such a price point. Trouba is not that great, even in todays vast overrating of defenseman.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
What trade can you reference that gives that much for a 20-30 point d-man???? Cause no trade anytime in recent-long term history has seen such a price point. Trouba is not that great, even in todays vast overrating of defenseman.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/l/larssad01.html

Adam Larsson went for Taylor Hall. He's a 20 point D-Man locked up at a reasonable rate that went for a top ten winger with a couple PPG seasons. Would you get Taylor Hall last year for Nyquist + Larkin? I'm thinking not.

Dion Phaneuf's initial ask from Toronto to Detroit was Mantha/Larkin + 1st, no retention. At the point of that discussion, he was a 30 point D-man who was making 7M a year for like five more years.

I'm regretting through out a valuation when my overriding point was that Winnipeg wasn't going to swap Trouba to Detroit for "fair value" because they didn't need Detroit's pieces. A Trouba to Detroit deal was going to happen if Detroit did something stupid and overpaid like crazy. Because Winnipeg had him under contract and his one big complaint was playing time which was easily rectified when a player went down.

razor ray

May 8, 2011
Anyone be interested in a deal with Dallas taking on one of their goalies and the 3rd overall for our 9th?

To Detroit: Lehtonen, 3rd OVR, 2nd Rd
To Dallas: Nyquist, 9th OVR

Interesting trade but Dallas made it clear they are not going to move back in the draft to unload a goalie. They want an established young player for the 3rd. Maybe Dallas would trade a 3rd round pick to Vegas if they were willing to take Lehtonen and protect everyone else.

I would unload the vets for picks.....particularly for the 2018 draft if possible. Maybe like Montreal, who has not had a #1C in 20 years. Or Ottawa, who has a window with Craig Anderson for a year or two more. Take on a short-term back contract in the deal if needed as well. Its just time to stockpile assets in Detroit.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Interesting trade but Dallas made it clear they are not going to move back in the draft to unload a goalie. They want an established young player for the 3rd. Maybe Dallas would trade a 3rd round pick to Vegas if they were willing to take Lehtonen and protect everyone else.

I would unload the vets for picks.....particularly for the 2018 draft if possible. Maybe like Montreal, who has not had a #1C in 20 years. Or Ottawa, who has a window with Craig Anderson for a year or two more. Take on a short-term back contract in the deal if needed as well. Its just time to stockpile assets in Detroit.

Who the hell are you trading to Montreal as a #1C?

Zetterberg is untradeable due to recapture.
Larkin isn't drawing 1C value.

Nobody else on the Wings has any kind of prayer at drawing that value.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Friedman:
11. What are the Blue Jackets looking for? “A sniper in the key moments,†GM Jarmo Kekalainen said Friday. “You’re always looking for a No. 1 centre. Collectively we score enough, we’ve got firepower through all four lines. Cam Atkinson is our best scorer, but we need to finish with a better percentage. We’re going to look internally and externally.â€

13. He is confident about where his team is. “We are not thinking short-term. Our window is not just open now. We are only cracking the window.†So what’s it going to take to add external help?

It’s no secret Columbus is deep on defence, especially after the coaches showed enough faith in 20-year-old Gabriel Carlsson to dress him for all five playoff games. (They are still hopeful 21-year-old Vladislav Gavrikov comes over from the KHL, but that is far from certain.) Ryan Murray’s name is out there, but the GM refused to discuss him specifically.

Could we package together a deal for Murray? Would it cost Mantha+ or Tatar+?

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-future-hold-dubas-leafs/

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
I bet we could package a deal for him. It's just a matter of whether or not they'd trade him within the division.

Detroit plays in the Atlantic, Columbus plays in the Metropolitan. If you means conference, sure, I can see that, but Columbus needs scorers and has enough D to compensate. They need to be a more balanced team.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Murray's injury history is a red flag for me. Not just that he seems to get hurt, a lot, but that he's missed a lot of development time because of it. Granted, that's probably the main reason Columbus is dangling him on the market but I'm leery of dealing Mantha for a guy whose main selling point is where he was once drafted and not necessarily what he has done on the ice.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Somebody speculated about Henrik Haapala, Finnish Elite League Scoring title winner.

Signed with Florida, joins junior teammate Barkov...

They have a nice bunch of midgets down there... Malgin, Marchessault, Haapala...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->